Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question Game characters referenced in The Simpsons episodes (Sega, Nintendo etc..)

This isn't a gaming question but more so related to the show itself and the episodes they've done.

I don't think this has been done before, but when it comes to references from famous gaming characters how many of these can you think of that have been featured in The Simpsons?

I was looking at these video's here in regards to Super Mario and Nintendo references in The Simpsons and it got me thinking.

Then of course this Sonic one here.

And not a character as such but a famous gaming reference, I always thought this scene was great!

So I was wondering how many they've done and if you guys can come up with a few where The Simpsons have referenced well known gaming characters?

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

My favorites are probably those you mentioned (Sonic to be specific)

Honestly I’m not much of a fan, of when tv shows reference video games, cause you can pretty much expect Mario, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong (any 70’s, or 80’s game for that matter), maybe Pokemon, and than just mainstream/popular Stuff like GTA, Minecraft, etc, I understand the writers aren’t gamers, so they probably stopped after the 80’s but still.

Shows like Robot Chicken, Mad (and maybe Big Bang Theory), are pretty much the only shows where you can expect to see obscure stuff that your non gamer, probably wouldn’t know that much of (Rayman, Parappa the Rapper, Smash Bros) while still being very faithful to the games, or just things like Mario, or Pac-Man, that while old, have acknowledged, it’s gone past the classic day. I don’t care much for TBBT, that much these days (or at least not care enough to watch it that much anymore), but I really liked when they refrenced the Mario & Sonic Olympic spinoff series.

Sorry, I just roll my eyes whenever I see a show like the Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, or American Dad, reference Mario and Donkey Kong for the 50th time, without even acknowledging the later games in the series.

I have a feeling the Simpsons is gonna have an episode that revolves around the town of springfield getting into Fortnite, and even doing the dances, to be all cool and hip with the kiddos.
    Last edited by Vortech man; 11-07-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Yeah it does seem to be the regular things but I guess that's all down to it being so recognisable (which they want to use it to appeal to as many as they can) or what is so popular at the time (again, same reason), it's like when they have these celebrities appear in the show, they only really tend to have one's that are so internationally known or massive in the US at least (I guess it's kinda hard for them to gauge how well known people are outside of the US with them being in the US themselves) however that's probably why it tends to be the same one's most of the time.

The Fortnite thing I wouldn't be surprised if their is a skit of this somewhere, although it's not my favourite thing (I've never played it and barely know what it is) but it makes sense for them to do it in a little scene or something because of what it is, for me personally, I'm not fussed about it but if it's there then I don't mind really (I'd rather it be a scene as opposed to an episode though).

Minecraft I wouldn't mind, simply because the look of those games are quite old school (they look like the graphics from previous generations) so I would quite favour that and I know they have already done some Minecraft references also (which I forgot about in the OP) but yeah the Fortnite thing wouldn't be surprising lol

The Bonestorm episode referenced Goro from Mortal Kombat:

Bonestorm looked fun, but I bet it gets boring quickly like all fighting games. I actually never play fighting games in general despite being an avid gamer because it's like hearing the same "hyah! hyah! hyah!" sounds over and over again. I don't play the online ones either such as Tekken because they're full of neckbeards who juggle you to death.

I never actually noticed that with Bonestorm, that game would have been good, specially if this happened when you played it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    I never actually noticed that with Bonestorm, that game would have been good, specially if this happened when you played it.

Nice Maxell reference in this pic.

I absolutely loved the Pokemon go parody they did recently and the to be a master song they had. I wish they would parody world of Warcraft next, the wow spin-off hearthstone is a favorite game of mine. It's a card battler and lots of fun. They could make a joke with the murlocs, these cute fishlike creatures that go mrrglarggl instead of talking.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    offering all starters, Zorua, and many more
    Shiny Druddigon (f) offered for your shiny.

I remember the game Crash Bandicoot being parodied as Dash Dingo in "Lisa Gets an A". They even recreated the design elements in the early levels of the series, such as stone carvings, floating lozenge (its equivalent to Crash's floating gems) and the holographic bobblehead of the main villain.

The video game Bart and Homer play in "Moaning Lisa" is obviously patterned after Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, a game in the Nintendo Entertainment System. I think they may have also referenced Pokémon Go in a short, but I am not sure if the scene made it into an episode.

Oh yeah the Dash Dingo, that's a good one

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

It's probably mentioned in those videos (not watched them), but this is my favourite reference because it works both ways. So here we have Sonic in The Simpsons (even if he is purple)...

...and here we have a Simpsons reference from Sonic at 1:06, with the same line...

Last edited by Road Rage; 11-08-2018 at 08:23 AM.

That LEGO dimensions video is amazing, it has better writing than the Sonic games have had in years, shame that game got discontinued, without a Third year of characters.

Homer also played a knockoff of Farmville on Facebook once.

Farmville, I forgot all about that ha

Thread Information