Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember the Nickelodeon show Doug?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Thumbs Up Does anyone remember the Nickelodeon show Doug?

Like I often do with The Simpsons, sometimes I'll put DVD's on of various shows just for background really however recently I've just had the whole Nickelodeon series of Doug as the DVD that was released with that is over 20 hours long which is great for this kinda stuff.

I always felt the show was a great heartfelt show which still seems popular today and when people remember it, they usually remember it fondly which is nice. He kind of reminds me of a modern day Charlie Brown, with his dog Pork Chop, his journal, Patty Mayonnaise as his crush, his arch enemy Roger, best friend Skeeter (Honk Honk), his favourite band The Beets (which were a play on The Beatles) etc... it's a pretty good little show.

I was wondering how many here remember this show and what you thought to it? I'd be interested to hear how popular it was with you guys also

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Blog Entries

no I remember Disney's Spankin' New Doug tho
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

hey arnold did the doug formula like way better to be honest

Blog Entries

I like Judy Funny and the episode where Porkchop becomes an artist. I can't say whether New Doug just wasn't as good or by then I was too old for it but it probably should have ended where it did.
    a soul for disguise

Junior Camper

I definitely liked Doug, but I personally liked other 90’s nicktoons like Hey Arnold, Rocko’s modern life, and Ren and Stimpy better, but Doug was still cool, don’t remember liking Disney’s Doug though.

The Disney version of Doug wasn't no where near as good, it wasn't received well either as opposed to the Nickelodeon version, also I like Hey Arnold too but it's nothing like Doug what so ever @brad little lol

Yeah, I know which one you mean @BooAGhostAFemaleGhost haha, but yeah, the Disney Doug wasn't received well, I'm not sure if it was even the same people working on the show, I would have to see.

@Vortech man, I ADORE Rocko's Modern Life lol, Hey Arnold is good too as is Ren & Stimpy but yeah, Doug was great. So many shows from that era were so good really to be honest.

Blog Entries

I didn't say it was like it, I said it did the kids in school formula better. hell recess was a better show than Doug

Two completely different shows though, most of the Doug stuff is outside of that but yeah, I like both those shows. Recess was alright but I never really saw it much to be honest, still those shows come from a completely different angle than Doug which is more heartfelt, kind of like the Charlie Brown vibe where as the other shows are what you'd expect from any cartoon within that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by brad little View Post
    no I remember Disney's Spankin' New Doug tho
    That said, if you only remember the Disney version of Doug, then it makes sense you'd say Hey Arnold, Recess etc.. was better, Disney's version of Doug really isn't a reflection of the Nickelodeon show, it was a remake.

Blog Entries

I don't only remember the disney show, that was a joke. 90s nick was my bread and butter, I probably saw Doug more as a kid than you did

Blog Entries

actually didn't watch a ton of disney Doug, not really sure why. most of what I saw was on toon disney years after it stopped running on abc

Yeah, was just reading this now in regards to the Disney version, there were quite a few changes and probably is why the show was never as good as it as when it was originally done.

Due to the gap in time it took between the series' run on Nickelodeon and its beginning on ABC, there were several creative changes. Billy West was replaced by Tom McHugh as the voice of Doug, while his role as Roger was taken over by Chris Phillips. Disney could not afford West, as his fame had grown from voicing characters in Ren & Stimpy and other animated properties. Jinkins argues that he worked hard to keep West on the series, claiming that the deal the company offered him was breaking their budget. In 2013, despite not returning to the Disney version, West mentioned that he'd like Nickelodeon to resume production with the original Doug and to return as the role/character.

Many original staff members of Doug regard the Disney run as inferior. Jinkins was less hands-on regarding production of the show's Disney episodes due to other responsibilities. "I mostly agree with Doug fans who think the original 104 eleven-minute Doug stories made for Nick were the best", Jinkins later said. David Campbell felt the Nickelodeon episodes were "quirkier" and better, while Constance Shulman, Patti Mayonnaise's voice actress, felt voice recording sessions were not the same in the show's newer incarnation: "I missed all the gang crammed in the studio, waiting for their turn for the big group scene. Someone just dimmed the magic a bit."
    I guess that explains why the show wasn't really what it was initially.

Blog Entries

Doug was just like the most un-nick of the nick shows, if that makes sense. it was weird and quirky, but compared to nearly everything else that aired on the channel in the 90s it was quite tame and boring. Always thought it was a weird fit for nick back then. It's not bad by any means and probably under rated if anything, but it's also not one of the better shows.

at least it's not thornberries/catdog(which was awful despite it's trademark nickelodeon weirdness)/rocket power territory.

Blog Entries

as for hey arnold it was better because it was more real and gritty. the first season has a really good urban setting and is arguably the best of the show, but at the same time the longer the show went on the more development of the characters evolved. Helga and her family in particular have one of the best development cycles in a kids cartoon.

you never saw that kind of character development with Doug or patty mayonnaise or even Roger Klotz, who had probably the most development of any character in the show.

Blog Entries

wish my vice principal growing up was named Mr. Bone though, imagine the jokes that I coulda made

Yeah, I get what you mean, like most of the shows were quite wacky and out there, such as Ren and Stimpy for example and Rocko's Modern Life but I think Doug was good because it added that nice balance and was something different so I think it really balanced it out better and was great in that sense, it was different basically, but I get what you mean.

Yeah, I agree it's underrated, I think Doug was great for people to relate to too, I guess it is like Charlie Brown where he's always deep in thought etc... Doug was kinda the same, doing his journal, all stuff like that where as other shows were wacky and out there, all great (one of my fave's is Rocko's Modern Life, I adore that show) but Doug was so different, it was fresh as opposed to the other shows I guess.

I liked the real and gritty side of Hey Arnold too, I guess it depends what mood you're in also as if you fancy that kinda stuff, Hey Arnold is your thing, but if you fancy a more chilled, heartfelt, nice show, Doug is your man! That's why I feel with comparisons like this it's kinda hard cause it depends on your mood really.

Yeah, the Mr Bone thing haha, I can imagine lol

I actually liked Doug a lot and it's on Hulu so it's fairly easy to catch upon it. I even wrote a Doug fanfic lol. It's not very good but I was trying to make it cute with a journal entry and a brief fantasy. BTW when I was a kid I wanted a leather jacket purely because of Roger.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

What is Hulu? I hear about it quite a lot but never been really familiar with what it is, I'm guessing it's a US thing but is it like Netflix or something?

I've got this DVD in regards to Doug which is great, it's advertised as a region one release (US and Canada) but it plays in all DVD players and is actually region free, I put it in my Playstation all the time which is region two but the DVD is fine, there's over 20 hours of Doug on the DVD which is awesome.

Hulu is like Netflix yes. I think Hulu has a better selection of cartoons.

Ah I see, shame we don't have that in the UK, I don't think lol

Doug was one of the original three Nicktoons. They needed a show like that. Rugrats was focused on the babies and Ren & Stimpy was, well......Ren & Stimpy. Doug was relatable, charming, and down to earth. You could see yourself in one of the characters. That's the best thing about Doug. It stood out at the time because of how quiet and low-key it was, and it stands out in 2018 for those same reasons. I don't know if it would have even been picked up today, because back then, Nickelodeon had nothing to lose and was willing to take risks.

We don't need to talk about Disney's Doug though. Hey Arnold took Doug's blueprint, updated it for the late 90s and perfected it.

Completely @Dr. Nihilistic, you hit the nail on the head there with that. Doug was one of the best shows for that time because it was different, because it added that relatable and charming show which they didn't have and it was good that they had this otherwise every show would have been too similar to a degree, when it comes to the animated shows anyway.

Yeah, Disney's Doug is pointless, it's not even really Doug to most people, although I never really saw the Disney version that much I remember hearing at the time how much people felt it ruined the show and when I saw the bits of it I did, I could tell it wasn't the same and I didn't want to ruin the show for me.

It's a little like Home Alone, Home Alone 1 & 2 are great but the rest of them you might as well pretend they are a completely different film and not related to Home Alone. Nickelodeon Doug was brilliant!

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Doug was a pretty unique show at the time. Back in the 90s, when other Nick cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life were edgy for their time and constantly trying to push the envelope, Doug wasn't trying to be that. It was a more serene and low-key show, more in the vein of Peanuts. Despite not being the best Nick show, it still has its own charm.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched the Nickelodeon version a lot as a kid due to its being On Demand along with shows like Rugrats and The Angry Beavers, as well as overplay on NickSplat. It’s a pretty simple and basic show but the characters are nice and charming and Fred Newman’s music is amazing. It just creates a solid atmosphere. It’s nice to watch every so often (though not as much as NickSplat plays it; it’s not the type of show that lends itself to binge watching). I even got Funko Pop! figs of Patti Mayonnaise and Porkchop, though they’re based on the Disney version (such as the fact that Patti has short hair like in the Disney version) since they got the merchandise rights when they bought Doug.

Speaking of which, I never watched Disney’s Doug, though I was aware of the series due to my playing on the Toon Disney website as a kid.

And speaking of Disney’s Doug, what does everyone think of Doug’s 1st Movie?
    Last edited by ataeaf; 10-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Yeah @Purpleberries, that's what made it so good, because it was different too it was great to be there as you do want to watch these kinda cartoons at times, I mean, The Simpsons has this covered as well as the more humorous side of things but The Simpsons has a lot of heartfelt moments and feel to the show too which is what makes it so good, it definitely has it's own charm like you say

I'm not sure I've ever seen Doug's first Movie @AAAAH-taeaf but I would like to see it to see what it's like, it's not available on DVD is it? I can binge watch it, it's a good nice little show to have on in the background or in bed or whatever and I agree about the music, there is a live video of them doing the music on Youtube, I'll try find it, but yeah the music was very unique.

Here it is

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last time I checked the movie was on Amazon Video.

Worst User Ever

Yes

Blog Entries

I think I remember watching a lot of the episodes of Nickelodeon's Doug when I was little. As I was growing up, I saw some episodes of Disney's Brand Spankin' New Doug, and one of them that seems to catch my interest the most was "Doug's Chubby Buddy", about Patti Mayonnaise deciding not to eat and to get fit for gym practice, unaware that she could be suffering anorexia nervosa. So scary.

Yeah, you should watch some of the Nickelodeon series much more @angeldeb82, they're really good and you'll probably enjoy them

I'm going to see if Doug's First Movie is available on DVD anywhere @AAAAH-taeaf, probably not but would be cool if there was, even if it was just like the Nickelodeon season above which Amazon did.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAPaddlin View Post
    I can't say whether New Doug just wasn't as good or by then I was too old for it but it probably should have ended where it did.
    It probably wasn’t as good, but that doesn’t mean it should have ended where it did. It wasn’t the worst thing on television, and even if it was, with an animated series, they could take it off the air for years and then release the next season. That’s what Rick and Morty does and they aren’t even cancelled.

Blog Entries

Doug died because it was never a huge ratings success for Disney(or Nick for that matter) and the theatrical movie Disney put out bombed. Doug hasn't been heard from since.

Thread Information