Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question Following up from the Martin thread, how do you guys feel about Ralph & his place in the show today?

Reading the Martin thread got me thinking about Ralph too as he seems like in a similar position, @Beggs made an interesting response about how Martin's traits have been covered by other characters hence why he may have faded a little in the background as opposed to his initial involvement in the show, however how do you guys feel about Ralph, as he also seems to have faded a little like Martin has where he was once quite a dominant role in the show that's slowly but surely faded out a little, or maybe you feel his role hasn't, anything in general really.

If so, why and how do you feel Ralph has faded, do you think his character was just limited with the kind of jokes he could bring or maybe there's other reasons?

You can refer to the Martin thread here if you like: https://www.nohomers.net/showthread....the-show-today

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Kind of a similar situation, really. He became more one-dimensional, and they kind of ran the non-sequitur humour into the ground. To that end, they've dialled back on using him, though not quite as much as Martin.
    A little less Generic than before.

carrying a terrible curse CousinMerl's Avatar

While I do like Ralph still he's certainly regressed as a character, turning into merely a gag character who spout the oddball one liners he's known for. In th earlier seasons and even a bit later on, there was usually a little more than that to him and his personality and he could work in other contexts so it is a bit of a shame. As far as character devolutions go, Martin Jr. doesn't really come close at all.

Blog Entries

I don’t like what they’ve done with his character at all. If you ask a lot of people, they’ll say Ralph is their favorite characterr, but I think he was much better before he started spouting non sequiturs and was just a dim but good-hearted kid. This Little Wiggy seemed to be the point where his character started to change, and with the way he is now, you can’t build an episode around him. Well, you can, but you’d get something bad like E Pluribus Wiggum.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not totally relevant, but this clip has always messed with my head:

"I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Yeah, as @Financial Panther mentioned I do feel Ralph has been a favourite character for a few people, I've heard it mentioned also when people have said they like him, I mean Al Jean's "Choo Choo Choose You" was huge and wouldn't have worked without Ralph, his love of Star Wars and silly things too made people laugh and he is a very likeable character.

Yeah, that voice so doesn't suit him does it haha @Mícheál

Yeah, that's a weird moment in "Lisa's Pony". Contrary to the video title and what was said on the DVD commentary, though, that's definitely not his original voice. That episode was Season 3 and Ralph appears in Season 2 episodes (such as "Lisa's Substitute") with a voice that's more or less the same as it is now, so that was a goof. Either way, definitely weird to hear what's basically Nelson's voice coming out of Ralph.

Yeah, those little mistakes though are good, it's like we don't always see them but when we do they're usually pretty cool

carrying a terrible curse CousinMerl's Avatar

The prototype Ralph in Season 1 had Nelson's voice coming out of his mouth (as seen and heard in 'Moaning Lisa') so the title of that video is sort of accurate and the voice goof itself comes off as an unintentional callback.

Ah, good point! I had forgotten about that scene with the early take on both Ralph's voice and design, which were solidified by the end of Season 2.

Seems like those kinds of goofs were a staple of the era. I grew up with the '87 Ninja Turtles, and the wrong voices coming out of the wrong characters is a well-known recurring mistake in that series.

Was that an Australian thing with the Turtles or was it a worldwide thing with the show in general? I know in the UK they had to rename the show to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles for some reason, even re-sung the theme tune for the UK too, Ninja Turtles still sounds much better lol

Edit:

Junior Camper Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

A thing that annoys me with Ralph, it's his character "evolution". In the earlier seasons, he's kinda a simple-minded but nice character, with a good heart, likeable despite his naivety. And then, since the modern era, he became a gag character always put in dangerous situations, almost suicidal, or accentuating his stupidity. Therefore, the jokes about him in a lot of recent episodes tends to disturb me instead of make me laugh. (The last gag in Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus, all the part about him in Frink Gets Testy, etc.)

I'm not a fan of the writers use Ralph for these days. Sure, he was always used for jokes(some of them like "I bent my wookie" being some of the best lines the show has put out)but back then he was still an actual character who would sometimes get some major roles. Even if he was really dim-witted, he still had a good heart and felt emotions. These days, he's been relegated to just being a gag character who just says non-sequiturs.

Thread Information