• 2/5 I'm more of a cat person myself.

7 50.00%
  • 1/5 Dead on arrival

5 35.71%

Thread: How would you rate FAMILY GUY S17E02 "DEAD DOG WALKING"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

How would you rate FAMILY GUY S17E02 "DEAD DOG WALKING"

Part two of "Married With Cancer": Brian's marriage to Jess is not what he envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Does Jess have the right to have Brian euthanized?

Blog Entries

two really dumb plots mixed in with some ok jokes (clifford, al pacino maker, the government tracking chris) and some nasty ones (brian loudly urinating into a bucket, stewie & chris making out [which was extremely predictable]). the vape plot was quite insipid and just came across as the old fogeys in the FG writing room getting mad at a hip trend, not to mention vape jokes have already been done to death. the brian plot started off kinda cute with the dad jokes but quickly became pretty boorish. pre weird that in the fg universe you'd be allowed to get married to a dog and then kill it with no repercussions because you feel like it. seems a lot worse than what brian did in the restaurant but who cares at least jess is gone for good and this sorry excuse for serialization is dead 2/5

It's times like this where I think the show should have stayed cancelled and never returned in 2005.

So, Jess survived choking to death, but it's never explained how. Later on in the episode, she brings up the fact that Brian could have saved her from choking but he didn't. She doesn't use this as a reason to leave him after she comes back to life. She's just happy to stay married to him until she's tired of taking care of him. Why was that even brought up if it wasn't going to mean anything?

Jess was just going to have Brian euthanized and not mention it to the Griffins? She just tells Peter that like she's talking about the weather.

They seriously decided to kill Jess again instead of, I don't know, having her and Brian get a divorce. That conversation at the end was pretty much confirmation that the marriage wasn't working out anymore. So why didn't they get a divorce? Why did they kill her off again just so they could go with the lame joke of her dying during the commercial break?

Why keep in awful jokes like Peter getting choked twice and Stewie and Chris making out?

Why was this two parts?

Why did I only laugh at two jokes?

This show just seems to get worse with every season. 1/5

Stuff I liked
    "Even more recently, and not quite as good, on Family Guy..."
    Peter telling the audience to direct their lawsuit to their writer.
    Dr. Hartman impersonating hospital equipment.
    Al Pachino maker (only the first time though)
    Clifford at the pound.
    Brian ribbiting.
    "Oh my god, I'm a douchebag!"

Stuff I didn't like
    "God, shut the fuck up Chris!" was my response to him telling Stewie why he won't get a phone.
    Montage of Jess trying to care for Brian.
    Lois stealing from Stewie's piggy bank.
    Stewie & Chris kissing...
    *Jess dies offscreen during the commercial break* My response: You predictable sons of bitches!
    The entire final scene was just nothing but a minute of tedious cringe!

Misc.
    One of the episode's promo pics was from the first episode which is used in the recap, and until I knew the context of it's usage seeing said pic made me go "What the...?".
    Meg blackmailing Peter & Lois should've been the subplot, and not just a one-off remark.

I don't have much to say about the main plot other than there wasn't anything I specifically hated about it until the final scene before the credits.

None of the promotional materials for this episode mentioned the subplot and I didn't even know there'd be one until the promo pics were released. And after watching the episode I can see why because it reminded me a lot of the kind of subplot I'd expect from current AD! where it's nothing but two to three minutes of pointless filler, even down to Stewie & Chris accidently kissing feeling like one of that show's lame attempts to prove how "Edgy" they are since moving to TBS. So I don't blame them for wanting to hide it. Besides that, it became just unpleasant once Lois found Stewie's stick as the rest of the subplot was pretty much nothing but yelling and arguing.

I'm honestly just gonna go ahead and declare next week's episode (Pal Stewie) to be the actual season premiere, and write this two-parter off as a leftover from last season that was delayed until now.

.5/5, would've been a 1 if not for the majority of the subplot and the entire final scene before the credits.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by The Spooke Family View Post
    pre weird that in the fg universe you'd be allowed to get married to a dog and then kill it with no repercussions because you feel like it. seems a lot worse than what brian did in the restaurant but who cares at least jess is gone for good and this sorry excuse for serialization is dead 2/5
    For awhile now this show's had the stupid mindset of "Dogs aren't people!" which they did a whole episode on and the worst example of it being in Turkey Guys where Peter told Brian that he could kill him and nobody would do a single thing about it so long as an actual human wasn't killed as well.

Blog Entries

Really pointless to make this a 2-parter. This made the Brian moves out arc look substantial...

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some decent gags, the previously on FG op, government tracking Chris, the initial Brian married jokes with Peter. No reason at all for this to be a two parter, at least this part didn't become completely one note in the 2nd half, and there was at least something that could be done with Brian and his Wife both wanting to kill each other, rather than just Brian hating wife for fat. but eh, pointless.

2/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

"if you kill me, the internet will freak out!"

sigh, better times

was amused at the recap, most of it was trash but the ep wasn't as bad as the last one. stewie/chris making out is just like come the fuck on writers. that entire plot was awful.

jess just being killed off off-screen was dum. brian being married is not a half-bad idea for a runner, but I guess we can't have that. whatevs

2/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Quote Originally Posted by airalba View Post
    Really pointless to make this a 2-parter. This made the Brian moves out arc look substantial...
    At least the plot here was the main focus for all it's episode, and not quickly relegated to being the subplot after it's first episode.

Yeah, this wasn't great. I thought the Husbands Restaurant thing was kinda funny, and I laughed out loud at that photo of Chris vaping that was then liked by Peter. Not much else was good about this; the fat Brian stuff was just unpleasant.

And that ending pretty much perfectly illustrates the state of the main characters at this point in the show.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 10-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    Get woke, go broke

Junior Camper

Blimey that was some lazy writing at the end. What's the point of watching this when it's clear the writers couldn't give a toss?

Wow! What a huge pile of dogshit!! The whole idea of Brian getting married was worse than him being a father. These writers have got to go!!! Sorry but Brian deserved to euthanized because he let Jess choke to death on purpose!!! Brian peeing out loud was gross. The subplot was okay but Stewie and Chris making out?!! Enough Seth!! Please stop making characters like Chris who aren't gay gay!! And did anyone noticed at the end that Brian walked out of the house and dumped Jess'es ashes with out feelings? He was really cold in that last scene. Seeing Peter getting choked by Lois made me laugh a little because he has abuse her over the years. This was a pointless, useless 2 part episode. Lets' pray that the next one is the real season premier and be better than this drek. It gets a big fat 0!!

So Brian has the same rights as a human as far as being married to a woman, but he's also just a dog who can be euthanised on a whim...oh, it's Family Guy. I probably shouldn't bother trying to make sense of that. The writers don't care, so why should we?

The "Previously On..." opening was refreshingly self-deprecating, but the highlights after that were few and far between. They were going for farce, and it was one, just not in the way they intended. The vaping subplot had its moments, but it did reek of Grumpy Old Writer Syndrome with its lack of subtlety and heavy-handed potshots. Meg blackmailing her parents was a fun throwaway, though I kind of wish she brought it up at the end to shut them up; it would've been a good callback. I liked the Husbands Restaurant bit. I could've done without Stewie and Chris kissing.

It felt like there was a decent attempt at some dark humour at the end, but it was undercut by the usual Family Guy approach of "We know it's lazy writing, but if we acknowledge it then it becomes a joke!" that sometimes works, but more often than not is just revelling in the fact they can put any half-arsed episode on TV. 1.5/5. This one definitely didn't need to be a two-parter.
    A little less Generic than before.

@Beggs, I already mentioned the show's dumbass "Dogs aren't people!" mindset so Brian being allowed to get euthanized just felt like an add-on to that.

Definitely. And it stands out because we're (probably) not supposed to think too hard about him being a dog when he's sleeping with, dating, and indeed marrying human women, or owning/driving a car and the like, but then the fact he's a dog is suddenly relevant again when it needs to be is jarring. And sure, thinking about it for even a second puts me in the "Oh look at the nerd on the Internet overanalysing this!" basket that the show has blatantly riffed on in the past, but it's still sloppy writing/storytelling.

Blog Entries

Better than the last episode (Not like that was going to be a difficult task to accomplish). Found myself laughing at a lot more jokes this time around but even when the show is being insanely blunt about its own laziness ("I'm really sorry Jess died during the commercial break") it doesn't make it any better. I have no problem with Family Guy being self-aware about what it is. Sometimes it can be pretty funny, but more often than not those moments are delivered with such apathy you can really tell the show is written by people who, much like Jess towards Brian in this episode, would rather see it euthanized than try to put effort into sustaining something they no longer have any passion for.

2/5
    How to remaster

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Writing: D+
    Plot: C (both)
    Characters: B-
    Humor: C
    Emotion: F

Part 2 of Brian’s Miserable Marriage continues with a weird recap, showcasing a scene from the pilot and the couch gag from Blue Harvest (it’s so awkward that same joke was used again in Are You There God It’s Me Peter, btw). The episode had quite a decent start, just like the first part, with some enjoyable scenes. Fat Brian isn’t that pleasant to look at, although I gotten used to fat Jess. The dialogue and jokes prevented it from being bad, at the very least. Subplot was also decent at first, but then went through a downhill spiral when Chris and Stewie started arguing. These two has good chemistry together, but it’s literally like Secondhand Spokeman (funnily enough, that one also involving a cigarette technique: smoking, except their subplot was about bullying). Lois tried to be a good parent, although her being a hypocrite ruined the moment. Now here’s where the episode really started sucking and so much points were taken off because of it. The twists from Married…with Cancer were unexpected, but at least I didn’t left me a sour taste from my mouth in the end. Here, the moment Jess wanted to kill Brian (with that E word I can’t say, I can’t blame Peter since he went all the way to the library just to look it up). Like wow! Her personality has been such a rollercoaster in these two episodes. Understandably, she want to get revenge for having Brian choke her to death last episode. It’s too bad that the Darkness Induced Audience Apathy Trope needs to come in play and you have no one to root for in the end. Just as Brian and Jess were about to make up, something stupid happens. If you’re reading this review, stop right there as I’m giving you spoiler alert. Now here goes: according to Lois, “Jess died during the commercial break?” During the commercials? Chris Sheridan, are you that serious? You have to do an ass-pull like that? That’s the laziest way to kill off a character (and dear god, stop breaking the fourth wall every minute!) I find it sad that a writer that been on the show since day one has lost his touch almost as much as Gary Janetti did. Interestingly enough, they both can’t Brian that good anymore (although Sheridan’s Stewie is written better). Maybe it’s time to get some new writers, Alec Sulkin. Most of them were there during season 4, but it’s clear that they don’t have the same luster as they did many years ago. All in all, this story arcs made Brian moves out look good in comparison (well, it is good since The D in Apartment 23 kicked ass). Just stop giving him story arcs. And enough with the dating women, it’s been done to death as much as Homer and Marge’s struggling marriage (Doesn’t help that such episode aired on the same night). 5/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

This is probably the most recent episode that would be on my bottom 10. 1/5
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Thread Information