Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Horror 2018

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

October Horror 2018

It's that time of year again. Post in this thread all the spooky stuff you watch/play this month. Let's goooo

withered gas station rose Chanukah Cumshot's Avatar

Halloween (Zombie, 2007)

Kinda visionless after the first 10-15 minutes. But even that is just him slapping his hillbilly aesthetic onto the Halloween franchise which didn't really make sense. Actually too many kills to really even work cuz it gets kind of hard to sit through. A flawed way too misanthropic failure albeit interesting.

Halloween II (Zombie, 2009)

Now this is much better! A clear aesthetic and a new perspective on the series. Blood and dirt cover every frame of this. It's beautiful. There's a kill set to the greatest punk song ever penned (time to die by void). Wish he could've tried his hand at Halloween III
    Last edited by Chanukah Cumshot; 10-03-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Watched a Walmart 4 pack
    Breadcrumbs (Nichols, 2011)
    Absolutely dreadful. No redeeming qualities.

Mother's Day Massacre (Roenning, 2007)
    A decent little slasher filled to the brim with horror cliches. I kind of enjoyed the low budget SOV quality to this one but it's still not that good.

A Bothered Conscience (Smithers Jr, 2006)
    More of a hillbilly caper film. Barely watchable

Butchered (O'rourke, 2010)
    Another cheap, mostly dull slasher.

The House That Jack Built (Von Trier, 2018)

Stories of walk outs and boos at Cannes for the brutality had people thinking it might be something else. Not nearly as gory as you'd be led to believe. Like a non shit version of American psycho(if Von Trier could be distilled down to such drek) An astute, misanthropic journey into what makes people create art. The pursuit of your vision above all else. Art needs to come from misery. Masterpieces come from brutality. Maybe his masterpiece
    Some to Misery are Born
    Every Morn and every Night
    Some are Born to sweet delight
    Some are Born to sweet delight
    Some are Born to Endless Night

The Bat (Wilbur, 1959)

The story is kind of a Scooby-doo episode. Where if you're paying attention at all you can get who is the killer pretty quickly. There's a lot of potential here, but it's mostly squandered. I think it could've helped if there was a more competent director at the helm. A bright spot in the film is Agnes Moorehead. One of the strongest, (dryly) funniest female characters in 50s horror.

Blog Entries

Other than waiting for season 3 of Dragula (and hoping it doesn't change too much moving to tv), I'm going to give Last Podcast on the Left a try after hearing it mentioned here and there. Any listeners with any recommendations to start with? Otherwise I'll just pick a few interesting topics and go from there.
    a soul for disguise

Motel Hell (Connor, 1980)

A nice proto comedy horror flick. Really nails the grime and trash of stuff like TCSM. Genuinely creepy are the motel owners. Gets a little long by the end and the chainsaw battle scene is nowhere near as iconic of the one in TCSM 2. Weird that TCSM 2 would just end up doing this whole thing better when this flick itself is ribbing TCSM. Fun stuff. "Too many people and not enough food. This solves both the problems."

The Purge (DeMonaco, 2013)

As a huge fan of The First Purge that came out this year, and to a lesser extent Election Year, so I decided to return to the first two of the series since I didn't remember them that well. On re-watch this still isn't that good. It's a bit better than I remember, but still doesn't teach the height of the later Purges. Instead of the politics being intertwined perfectly this film just uses the idea as a backdrop to have a typical break-in film. Having it be sequestered away from the rest of the Purge wasn't a great idea, especially for the first in the series. I wanted to see more of the actual purge. Ethan Hawke was pretty good in it, but the rest of the family I could take or leave. Also, DeManaco got way better with his directing after this one, but maybe the cramped break-in style just didn't suit him well.

The Purge: Anarchy (DeMonaco, 2014)

An improvement on the first because it takes out on to the streets. DeManaco shows he can actually direct pretty well when he's given the open space to flourish. The build up of the couple being followed around is done really well, even if the characters they're following kind of suck. It tries its hand a bit more at the politics inherently at play in a premise like this, but I would still say it's quite muddled and not really sure of the point it's trying to make. Overall tho it's a pretty decent little thriller. PS. Nice to see Michael K Williams pop up here.

My Friend Dahmer (Meyers, 2017)

Having never read the book it's based off I had no expectations going in. Pretty decent little biopic although kinda feeds into that new wave of everyone wanting to sympathize with serial killers because they think it makes them quirky or weird. Nice casting.

As Above, So Below (Dowdle, 2014)

This should be a lot better than it is. The claustrophobia should be suffocating but it never really gets to that point. I don't have much to say about this one really. Meh.

Scarecrows (Wesley, 1988)

A dark low budget slasher. I like the almost dialogue free nature of the flick but it would be better with actual dialogue and not just radio chatter. The kills are good and the scarecrows are genuinely freaky.

Hell Fest (Plotkin, 2018)

Pleasantly surprised. It was a pretty good modern slasher. The set design was top notch, with a great use of colors, but I guess setting it in a theme park lends itself to that pretty well. The killer despite being an obvious Myers rip off was pretty creepy and the ending was genuinely offputting. Too bad it's out of theatres already in most places because it's a fun one.

Alone in the Dark (Sholder,1982)

This was amazing! So creepy. Some of the best aesthetics to start this movie off. A tight satirical jab at just about every thing in reagan's America. A nicely put together cast as well! All the bad guys were the best actors which is good for a horror flick. Doesn't even feel too much like a Halloween retread which it's kind of set up to be.
    Last edited by Chanukah Cumshot; 11-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Demon Seed (Cammell, 1977)

Movie is basically if Hal 9000 wanted to rape and impregnate a woman to have a child. Brings up some interesting ideas w/r/t AI and what it means to exist, but it doesn't really do anything with it. It has a long build up that helped build a lot of tension, but somewhat squandered by going so off the rails. Side note: I taped this on TCM thinking it was Swamp Thing, but then this started playing.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (Polanski, 1967)

Had never seen this "classic". Pretty unfunny for the most part. It's well directed and the design of everything is good not great for Polanski standards. But it's such a slog for the most part. Love slow burning horror flicks but this just ain't it! It's just lame joke wise as well!!

Eye of the Devil (Thompson, 1966)

Excellent camerawork, very reminiscent of Frankenheimer's work on films like Seconds. Excellent use of shadows. All people in small towns are part of a cult right? Read that Kim Novak was supposed to be in Kerr's role, which would've ruled. Also read someone suggested this could've been an influence on Hot Fuzz and I could totally see that.

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (Fisher, 1966)

Lee's Dracula is amazing here. Great set designs. Been watching a lot of Hammer flicks this year and this holds up well. Such a nice colour pallete. The last like 10-15 minutes was crazy. It's obviously a little goofy.

Dracula A.D. 1972 (Gibson, 1972)

An apt take down of hippie culture. Of course the hippie generation are the ones that brings back a powerful symbol of the bourgeoisie. The idea is a little strained and the visuals have that dull 70's look that plagues a lot of movies of that era. A loooooot more sexual. Lotta shots of titties. Again the ending is so much fun. This one is definitely more camp. Cushing is great Seems almost like an SNL sketch movie or something.

Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)

What's there really to say about this movie. It is almost impossible to divorce it from the impact it has had on the cultural lexicon as a whole. I will say that even with repeat viewings the tension is still top notch and with each subsequent viewing you unravel a bit more about the character of Norman Bates. The shower scene is still iconic (the soviet montage influence really shows to me now that I am versed in that area of cinema), but my favourite scene is when Arbogast is going up the stairs of the Bates house. Also, this film has a huge "twist" reveal, but doesn't rest on that alone like a lot of lesser movies would. There's a couple things I have issue with that keep it from being Hitch's best, but can't argue that it's damn near perfect.
    Last edited by Christmas Cumshot; 10-19-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Watched two Mummy comedy movies.

Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (Lamont, 1955)

Like most Abbott and Costello movie parodies it feels a lot like disjointed sketches connected by some sort of setting or theme. Some funny stuff (the sandwich scene in particular) and some good physical humour. Nothing too interesting here but not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

Mummy's Boys (Guiol, 1936)
    *No Image Found*
    The ending was funny the rest was just bad. Not really that many jokes even.

The Curse of The Aztec Mummy (Portillo, 1957)

Low budget(the robot is is basically a guy with a bucket on his head) insane movie. Mostly just just boring.

Ogroff (Mount, 1983)

Finally bought this on DVD a little while ago and was not let down at all. Just a beautiful peice of art. Dirty, gritty and near dialogue-less. Such a unique look. Takes horror to its purest form. Drone cinema

The Night Digger (Reid, 1971)

Patricia Neal rules in this movie. One of the best scores I've heard in a long time (by the always great Bernard Herrmann [I guess that's why the movie kind of invoked a Psycho quality to me]). Loved the atmosphere of this one. Dreary and miserable like allof the best British cinema. It's Grey Gardens if Edith Bouvier fell in love with a murdering rapist.

The Walking Dead (Curtiz, 1936)

Yeah, this was kind of lame. I hate saying the words dated but this one definitely feels the force of time cuz Curtiz didn't even really do the atmosphere in a compelling way. It's literally just Karloff doing his Frankenstein but less frightening and engaging. It's just a mess of genre juggling and doesn't really pull any of them off.

The Terror (Corman [and various others], 1963)

Love the atmosphere of this, but it really does feel disconnected and rushed (it was made very quickly, so that makes sense). Pretty cool that both Nicholson and Hellman tried their hand at directing on this one.

Halloween (Green, 2018)

It's a good piece of cinema about as good as Halloween reboot could be That can't really exist without the mythos of the first and how it plays with it. And while there's a lot of nice cinematic touches you're not getting the fluid tracking shots of carpenter and all of that and even the nicest of visual flares do seem at time to be more copycat than a carved out new thing. Except the claustrophobic basement shots near the end. Those were good. There's a lot of neat little tricks and I liked the way the kills were shot kind of throwback-y to a older time of horror where we didn't need to see an intense amount of brutality to get through out movies. There's also a lot to be said in the film about human interactions with evil and past trauma("what's the big deal about a man with a knife" echoes through the whole of Laurie's character and how our present culture treats women's trauma) and how to deal with it. How people will try to make something like Michael into a thing to try to be understood as if you could prevent evil from entering your world if you study it enough when the real answer seems to be confronting it and within that confronting what your trauma means. But it's also a movie about the bonds between generations through trauma especially between Laurie and her daughter who seems to realize at the end the sacrifices her mother made and Laurie herself realizing the mistakes she made her self as a mother. It's a little shittly written near the end w/r/t Laurie and her daughter but I still think they pull it off. a good double bill pairing would be this years masterpiece Hereditary. Also the sound track was fuckin dope and my mom said it brought her back to being a kid and seeing the og Halloween flicks.
    Last edited by Chanukah Cumshot; 10-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

The Thing from Another World (Hawks, 1951)

Beautifully shot (clearly a Hawks picture, imo) especially the snowy exteriors and the how the camp looks. Very dry and talky, but it works well here, since it's actually kind of funny at times. The theremin score is also top notch. It's really interesting seeing this after seeing the "remake"(I don't see it as a full on remake, but a good like companion to this film, he changes a couple key things that shift the film brilliantly. I prefer the Carpenter film). For a 50s monster movie it used its monster so seldom and brilliantly (which makes it work!) PS. This is the film they're watching in Halloween (I don't think The Thing is the only Carpenter film to borrow from this film. It's influence can be seen in Assault on Precinct 13 and even a bit on Halloween)

Faust (Murnau, 1926)

Still don't feel like Murnau's horror stuff is as scary as his regular flicks but damn this has some epic set pieces and beautiful expressionistic camera work. Obviously very influential just as Nosferatu also was for him. There's a couple of weird choices on a story level (too much unfunny humour) but from a pure cinematic level he's kind of hard to touch especially in that era. Maximalist cinema. The last act is some of the best imagery out there.

Eyes Without a Face (Franju, 1960)

That mask is so fucking unsettling. Surprisingly gory. Anything with a surgery scene freaks me out a ton. It's not just all gore and creepy shit. Beautifully peotic, with a German Expressionism bend, especially its shadow work and shooting angles.

The Curse of the Cat People (Wise, 1944)

Very sad and touching movie about isolation and loss and grief and all that comes with it. How a spouse might try to forget about the past once they die all funnelled through the eyes of a kid who is suffering her own form of isolation because of her social tendencies. Great performances even the kid! Had a nice feel to it it's definitely got a lot more underneath than the first Cat People flick but the atmosphere isn't quite up to snuff.

Blog Entries

rest in peace thread

Thread Information