Thread: October Horror 2018

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

October Horror 2018

It's that time of year again. Post in this thread all the spooky stuff you watch/play this month. Let's goooo

withered gas station rose Where's the lamb saaaauuuce's Avatar

Halloween (Zombie, 2007)

Kinda visionless after the first 10-15 minutes. But even that is just him slapping his hillbilly aesthetic onto the Halloween franchise which didn't really make sense. Actually too many kills to really even work cuz it gets kind of hard to sit through. A flawed way too misanthropic failure albeit interesting.

Halloween II (Zombie, 2009)

Now this is much better! A clear aesthetic and a new perspective on the series. Blood and dirt cover every frame of this. It's beautiful. There's a kill set to the greatest punk song ever penned (time to die by void). Wish he could've tried his hand at Halloween III
    Last edited by Where's the lamb saaaauuuce; 10-03-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Watched a Walmart 4 pack
    Breadcrumbs (Nichols, 2011)
    Absolutely dreadful. No redeeming qualities.

Mother's Day Massacre (Roenning, 2007)
    A decent little slasher filled to the brim with horror cliches. I kind of enjoyed the low budget SOV quality to this one but it's still not that good.

A Bothered Conscience (Smithers Jr, 2006)
    More of a hillbilly caper film. Barely watchable

Butchered (O'rourke, 2010)
    Another cheap, mostly dull slasher.

The House That Jack Built (Von Trier, 2018)

Stories of walk outs and boos at Cannes for the brutality had people thinking it might be something else. Not nearly as gory as you'd be led to believe. Like a non shit version of American psycho(if Von Trier could be distilled down to such drek) An astute, misanthropic journey into what makes people create art. The pursuit of your vision above all else. Art needs to come from misery. Masterpieces come from brutality. Maybe his masterpiece
    Some to Misery are Born
    Every Morn and every Night
    Some are Born to sweet delight
    Some are Born to sweet delight
    Some are Born to Endless Night

The Bat (Wilbur, 1959)

The story is kind of a Scooby-doo episode. Where if you're paying attention at all you can get who is the killer pretty quickly. There's a lot of potential here, but it's mostly squandered. I think it could've helped if there was a more competent director at the helm. A bright spot in the film is Agnes Moorehead. One of the strongest, (dryly) funniest female characters in 50s horror.

Your Deer Friend BooAGhostAFemaleGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Other than waiting for season 3 of Dragula (and hoping it doesn't change too much moving to tv), I'm going to give Last Podcast on the Left a try after hearing it mentioned here and there. Any listeners with any recommendations to start with? Otherwise I'll just pick a few interesting topics and go from there.
    a soul for disguise

Motel Hell (Connor, 1980)

A nice proto comedy horror flick. Really nails the grime and trash of stuff like TCSM. Genuinely creepy are the motel owners. Gets a little long by the end and the chainsaw battle scene is nowhere near as iconic of the one in TCSM 2. Weird that TCSM 2 would just end up doing this whole thing better when this flick itself is ribbing TCSM. Fun stuff. "Too many people and not enough food. This solves both the problems."

The Purge (DeMonaco, 2013)

As a huge fan of The First Purge that came out this year, and to a lesser extent Election Year, so I decided to return to the first two of the series since I didn't remember them that well. On re-watch this still isn't that good. It's a bit better than I remember, but still doesn't teach the height of the later Purges. Instead of the politics being intertwined perfectly this film just uses the idea as a backdrop to have a typical break-in film. Having it be sequestered away from the rest of the Purge wasn't a great idea, especially for the first in the series. I wanted to see more of the actual purge. Ethan Hawke was pretty good in it, but the rest of the family I could take or leave. Also, DeManaco got way better with his directing after this one, but maybe the cramped break-in style just didn't suit him well.

The Purge: Anarchy (DeMonaco, 2014)

An improvement on the first because it takes out on to the streets. DeManaco shows he can actually direct pretty well when he's given the open space to flourish. The build up of the couple being followed around is done really well, even if the characters they're following kind of suck. It tries its hand a bit more at the politics inherently at play in a premise like this, but I would still say it's quite muddled and not really sure of the point it's trying to make. Overall tho it's a pretty decent little thriller. PS. Nice to see Michael K Williams pop up here.

My Friend Dahmer (Meyers, 2017)

Having never read the book it's based off I had no expectations going in. Pretty decent little biopic although kinda feeds into that new wave of everyone wanting to sympathize with serial killers because they think it makes them quirky or weird. Nice casting.

As Above, So Below (Dowdle, 2014)

This should be a lot better than it is. The claustrophobia should be suffocating but it never really gets to that point. I don't have much to say about this one really. Meh.

Scarecrows (Wesley, 1988)

A dark low budget slasher. I like the almost dialogue free nature of the flick but it would be better with actual dialogue and not just radio chatter. The kills are good and the scarecrows are genuinely freaky.

Hell Fest (Plotkin, 2018)

Pleasantly surprised. It was a pretty good modern slasher. The set design was top notch, with a great use of colors, but I guess setting it in a theme park lends itself to that pretty well. The killer despite being an obvious Myers rip off was pretty creepy and the ending was genuinely offputting. Too bad it's out of theatres already in most places because it's a fun one.

Alone in the Dark (Sholder,1982)

This was amazing! So creepy. Some of the best aesethics to start this movie off. A tight satirical jab at just about every thing in reagan's America. A nicely put together cast as well! All the bad guys were the best actors which is good for a horror flick. Doesn't even feel too much like a Halloween retread which it's kind of set up to be.

Thread Information