Thread: Acclaimed/Oscar movies that don't hold up.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Acclaimed/Oscar movies that don't hold up.

The idea that Forest Gump was considered a great movie is an absurd notion to me in 2018. Sure it's quotable and easy to watch, but it's so contrived and dumb. It's just a chronicle of a mentally challenged man who somehow manages to have synchronicities with major events of mid-late 20th century American history/pop-culture. Stop and think how hard this movie would flop in 2018.

What are some other movies like this?

as i've been working my way thru the best picture winners (79/90 so far) there have been some real head scratchers
    most aren't "bad" but most certainly not best picture of their year. the oscars seem to have a hard-on for historical dramas that are pretty but dull

the king's speech
    chicago
    gladiator
    shakespeare in love
    driving miss daisy
    out of africa
    chariots of fire
    rocky
    a man for all seasons
    around the world in eighty days
    gentlemen's agreement
    the broadway melody

I have soft spots for dances with wolves, oliver!, forrest gump and the english patient but if anybody else listed them I could understand why

I was going through the list and I was surprised that Rain Man won in 1988—I must have noticed that before but never gave it any thought.

I know basically nothing about the rest of the nominees, but there had to have been a few other Hollywood films that year that would have been a better choice.

The fact that A Beautiful Mind won also annoys me. I was thinking recently about how they put in a line near the end where Nash says he "takes the newer medications," despite the fact that the real-life Nash hadn’t taken anything in decades; they wanted to avoid giving the impression that he recovered without the help of pills. That’s such a fundamental thing to distort, even in a film that’s already only loosely accurate (and they had the at least slightly better alternative of saying nothing at all about his staying on or off medication).

withered gas station rose Where's the lamb saaaauuuce's Avatar

Driving miss daisy is an embarassing movie.

Person above, care to explain why you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by hutz View Post
    as i've been working my way thru the best picture winners (79/90 so far) there have been some real head scratchers
    most aren't "bad" but most certainly not best picture of their year. the oscars seem to have a hard-on for historical dramas that are pretty but dull

the king's speech
    chicago
    gladiator
    shakespeare in love
    driving miss daisy
    out of africa
    chariots of fire
    rocky
    a man for all seasons
    around the world in eighty days
    gentlemen's agreement
    the broadway melody

I have soft spots for dances with wolves, oliver!, forrest gump and the english patient but if anybody else listed them I could understand why
    My point wasn't quite that Forest Gump is a bad a movie, but just that is seems ridiculous in hindsight.

Argo was a decent movie, but it didn't deserve best picture, let alone to have even been nominated. I would second that with Spotlight as well.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Crash

Thread Information