Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Season 30 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Haven't we had a lot of episodes lately where foreign healthcare played a big role in the plot? There's gotta be other reasons to get the Simpsons in other countries. (YES i realize that healthcare wasn't the in-universe reason that they're going to go to Canada but the fact that it's still a plot point makes it seem similar)

No mention of Lisa being granted political asylum in the most recent synopsis, interestingly.
    Last edited by TenEight; 04-27-2019 at 04:23 PM.
    I'm Steven and my mom says I'm cool. Hablo español. [icon credit: http://olliemander.tumblr.com/post/172840363357]

RIP Frank Grimes 1962-1997

No episode ratings in my signature anymore, because I'm way behind.

ZABF06 is called "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson", a reference to Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and Carter G. Woodson's The Mis-Education of the Negro.

https://twitter.com/LibrarianUPenn/s...77312363425792

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    ZABF06 is called "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson", a reference to Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and Carter G. Woodson's The Mis-Education of the Negro.

https://twitter.com/LibrarianUPenn/s...77312363425792
    We have our first Selman ep of the ZABF production run. And if this doesn't feature Miss Hoover in a noteworthy fashion, I'm giving up hope that we're ever going to have an episode that does.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Woo-hoo Dunnit? is a Brian Kelley episode and I've largely enjoyed his standalone HD era efforts as they tend to be ambitious and cohesive even when they fail in some part of their execution. His worst solo effort is Moms I'd Like to Forget and he did disappoint with the rather flat collaborative script alongside David Silverman in Lisa Gets the Blues - travel episodes in the HD era have uniformly sucked when not showrun by Selman (who delivered with A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again and The Town).

Brian Kelley's last 5 solo script efforts were...
    - Specs and the City
    - Brick Like Me
    - The Princess Guide
    - The Marge-ian Chronicles
    - The Serfsons

Two of my consensus Top 50 post-classic era episodes make up this group (Brick Like Me and The Marge-ian Chronicles, both Selman efforts). This week's format-bender, documentary send-up is showrun by Jean. So was the last episode where this storytelling approach was used, Season 28's 22 for 30 which turned out quite good (and was written by Joel H. Cohen no less). I also consider Homer Goes to Prep School somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

In short, Kelley's got a consistent track record and Jean-run faux-doc episodes have one as well. Certainly a better track record than Jean-run travel episodes which dribble on the references and pandering for pandering's sake at the expense of everything else.

Steven Dean Moore is next up in the director rotation.

I wouldn't even hold a travel episode against him, these days those are so bland its unbelievable, and its not helped by the fact that it seems like a quarter of the new episodes are travel

Yes, yes, yes! A Matt Selman's episode written by J. Stewart Burns. The only antecedent is Steal this Episode, one of the best episodes of the entire HD era. Season 31 will have at least two episodes of my favourite writer.

Fan of the Outstanding Animation Show of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Woo-hoo Dunnit? is a Brian Kelley episode and I've largely enjoyed his standalone HD era efforts as they tend to be ambitious and cohesive even when they fail in some part of their execution. His worst solo effort is Moms I'd Like to Forget and he did disappoint with the rather flat collaborative script alongside David Silverman in Lisa Gets the Blues - travel episodes in the HD era have uniformly sucked when not showrun by Selman (who delivered with A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again and The Town).

Brian Kelley's last 5 solo script efforts were...
    - Specs and the City
    - Brick Like Me
    - The Princess Guide
    - The Marge-ian Chronicles
    - The Serfsons

Two of my consensus Top 50 post-classic era episodes make up this group (Brick Like Me and The Marge-ian Chronicles, both Selman efforts). This week's format-bender, documentary send-up is showrun by Jean. So was the last episode where this storytelling approach was used, Season 28's 22 for 30 which turned out quite good (and was written by Joel H. Cohen no less). I also consider Homer Goes to Prep School somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

In short, Kelley's got a consistent track record and Jean-run faux-doc episodes have one as well. Certainly a better track record than Jean-run travel episodes which dribble on the references and pandering for pandering's sake at the expense of everything else.

Steven Dean Moore is next up in the director rotation.
    Cool. I really liked the Serfsons. It helps that one of our cats is named Aslan.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Anyone notice that this show has stopped having the highest rated premieres (even reruns) since March? Bob’s Burgers or Family Guy has been beating the Simpsons in ratings and that because of the lack of football helping its ratings boost.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    Anyone notice that this show has stopped having the highest rated premieres (even reruns) since March? Bob’s Burgers or Family Guy has been beating the Simpsons in ratings and that because of the lack of football helping its ratings boost.
    That has certainly been a big part of the reason... although this is also not atypical for the way ratings have trended for most recent seasons. Perhaps if there was more focus on ensuring episodes of higher quality were screened when the show has optimal exposure (i.e. January during the NFL playoffs), folks would be more inclined to seek out the show during the off-peak season in hopes of catching something good. But that hasn't been the case up until now.

Outside of Treehouse of Horror, there has been little to no effort in discerning whether an episode gets initially screened in front of an audience of 5-7 million viewers or 2 million viewers.

More people watched The Girl on the Bus this season than any other episode thanks to football. They could have put a decent or fresh original concept in that high-profile slot... but they went with a formulaic Lisa episode written by Joel H. Cohen that we've seen a million times before instead.

In other words, they don't seem to care about the ratings.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

So, of course, The Simpsons beats out both shows (barely) on 5/5...

Here's one possible reason why Family Guy has been doing better than The Simpsons recently; Supergirl (which is on from 8 to 9 Eastern) has been doing far better than Charmed (which is on from 9 to 10), so I expect quite a few people are watching Supergirl and then Family Guy. It wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing happened; the one season King of the Hill was on at 8:30, it usually did better than The Simpsons, in part because The Simpsons was on against 3rd Rock from the Sun on NBC while King of the Hill was on against Boston Common.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    That has certainly been a big part of the reason... although this is also not atypical for the way ratings have trended for most recent seasons. Perhaps if there was more focus on ensuring episodes of higher quality were screened when the show has optimal exposure (i.e. January during the NFL playoffs), folks would be more inclined to seek out the show during the off-peak season in hopes of catching something good. But that hasn't been the case up until now.

Outside of Treehouse of Horror, there has been little to no effort in discerning whether an episode gets initially screened in front of an audience of 5-7 million viewers or 2 million viewers.

More people watched The Girl on the Bus this season than any other episode thanks to football. They could have put a decent or fresh original concept in that high-profile slot... but they went with a formulaic Lisa episode written by Joel H. Cohen that we've seen a million times before instead.

In other words, they don't seem to care about the ratings.

And then, one of the best episodes this season, "I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can" ran against the Grammy Awards, giving it little to no exposure.

WHY NO NEW EPISODE ON MAY 19????????????

That Sunday is still part of the Nielsen-defined "sweeps" period. Do we really need *SEVEN* holdover episodes to start each season?

WTF, FOX? (Huh, what is this crap?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    WHY NO NEW EPISODE ON MAY 19????????????

That Sunday is still part of the Nielsen-defined "sweeps" period. Do we really need *SEVEN* holdover episodes to start each season?

WTF, FOX? (Huh, what is this crap?)
    because may 19th will be the series finale of game of thrones and no one wants to compete against that
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    because may 19th will be the series finale of game of thrones and no one wants to compete against that
    CBS is airing new episodes of The Red Line and NCIS Los Angeles that night.
    ABC is airing a new episode (the season finale) of American Idol that night.
    NBC is airing new episodes of Dateline and Good Girls.
    CW is airing a new episodes of Supergirl and Charmed.

It appears only the FOX network has decided to go belly-up that night.

Also, Game of Thrones airs on HBO, a premium channel, where one pays $15 a month to watch that station's content. The FOX network can be watched for free, over the air, with an antenna. I don't EVER recall a major broadcast network choosing not to air new episodes of its scripted shows because of what's airing on a subscription service. Also, both FOX and HBO programming can be watched on demand, anytime. This is unacceptable for loyal fans of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, and Family Guy.

Blog Entries

*flipping through TV guide to make point*

even the WEATHER channel is airing shows that night what the fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

Should've gotten the puppy bowl people to do "game of bones" counter-programming

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    CBS is airing new episodes of The Red Line and NCIS Los Angeles that night.
    ABC is airing a new episode (the season finale) of American Idol that night.
    NBC is airing new episodes of Dateline and Good Girls.
    CW is airing a new episodes of Supergirl and Charmed.

It appears only the FOX network has decided to go belly-up that night.

Also, Game of Thrones airs on HBO, a premium channel, where one pays $15 a month to watch that station's content. The FOX network can be watched for free, over the air, with an antenna. I don't EVER recall a major broadcast network choosing not to air new episodes of its scripted shows because of what's airing on a subscription service. Also, both FOX and HBO programming can be watched on demand, anytime. This is unacceptable for loyal fans of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, and Family Guy.
    now that you bring it up, Judge Me Tender did air on the same night as the last episode of Lost. This still puzzles me though as no one really gives a crap about American Idol anymore

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1127313155309182976 - One more episode written by Megan Amram (for a total of 3), who is leaving the show https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...sal-tv-1207528

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1127313155309182976 - One more episode written by Megan Amram (for a total of 3), who is leaving the show https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...sal-tv-1207528
    Wow! Wasn't she poised to be the next Selman?

I'm not surprised. FOX seems oblivious to the fact that they lose money over the newer Simpsons episodes getting low ratings, and the fact that "Bob's Burgers" is beating it certainly doesn't help. And as for "Family Guy," I remember when that was FOX's most popular animated show while "The Simpsons" would be third or fourth.
    And as for the football thing, from my experience it also partly seems to be because of football overruns screwing up DVR recordings, so a lot of people have no choice to watch "The Simpsons" live. (You'd think most people could just change the channel once the game ends.) Perhaps DVRs have been hurting the ratings as well?

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Why was 'The Incredible Lightness Of Being A Baby' suddenly pushed back to fall and the next season? Even though we didn't get any clips (I think) it sounds and looks like a better and much more interesting episode than say 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' or 'D'oh Canada'.

Season premiere will be September 29.
    Treehouse Of Horror XXX will air October 20

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1128749865393999872

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Why was 'The Incredible Lightness Of Being A Baby' suddenly pushed back to fall and the next season? Even though we didn't get any clips (I think) it sounds and looks like a better and much more interesting episode than say 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' or 'D'oh Canada'.
    Perhaps they wanted to open the new season with a fresh concept. Season 30 was the series' lowest point. It started out promising but didn't keep the pace as it progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    Perhaps they wanted to open the new season with a fresh concept. Season 30 was the series' lowest point. It started out promising but didn't keep the pace as it progressed.
    Not only is season 30 a possible new low, but on imdb.com three of the ten currently lowest rated episodes aired this year.

"I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh" (7th lowest)
    "D'oh Canada" (4th lowest)
    "Bart vs Itchy and Scratchy" (2nd lowest)

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

So the ratings for the season were that low? I guess that in that case 'Lightness' was one they were especially proud of to deem worthy to push to the following season as an episode to boost the rarings. It will be interesting to see if it really is something to shout about.

Thread Information