Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Season 30 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Awkwafina will be in another episode at some point.
    https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1109850813818519552

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    @NamelessDan Vebber (Thanksgiving of Horror's attached writer) did co-write the teleplay for a Jean ep earlier in this production cycle (101 Mitigations w/ Brian Kelley). I'm curious as to whether those teleplay scenarios indicate instances where the second of the two active writer's rooms pick up the overflow from the one in which a script originated or if I'm reading too much into that.
    I'm not so sure that's the case. I'm pretty sure the writers migrate between rooms as necessary and as often needed (one of them is the rewrite room, anyway, which is the one that likely gets more visited by the former showrunners).

For 101 Mitigations, it's likely that Rob LaZebnik pitched the basic story premise, that of Homer doing a mitigation video to get out of being sued (or some close variation of that). A solid story that could go ahead, but since he was busy with the e-Sports episode, Al Jean would have handed it off to the other writers who weren't as busy.

Teleplay/story credits are common enough in television, but rare to find in animation. The reason we don't see a lot of story credits on The Simpsons is because the writers and executive producers prefer to keep the full writing credit intact in order for that writer to be eligible for full residuals (otherwise, they'd get a smaller cut, especially if it involved primarily a story credit). Example: back in season 7, David X. Cohen supposedly pitched a complete story outline for Homerpalooza, but didn't get story credit. The full credit went to Brent Forrester, who always felt Cohen could have gotten credit for it (and Cohen was busy with the Apu immigrant script anyway).

Just for "fun", here's how the writers of the Selman-showrun episodes break down (I haven't seen "Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy" yet, was it definitely a Selman joint?):

Selman himself - 8, plus co-writing credit for The Great Phatsby part 2 (plus one was co-written with Renee Ridgeley)
    Freelancers - 5 (Dan Vebber several years before he became a co-ep, Eric Kaplan, Dave King, Simon Rich, Dan Furlong & Zach Posner)
    Brian Kelley - 3
    Rob LaZebnik - 2
    Dan Greaney - 1 or 2, depending on how you count The Great Phatsby
    1 apiece: J Stewart Burns, Joel Cohen, Kevin Curran (produced posthumously), Valentina Garza (produced after she had left the writing team), Ryan Koh, Tim Long & Miranda Thompson, Carolyn Omine, Matt Warburton, Jeff Westbrook

So the writers yet to have a script showrun by Selman are Stephanie Gillis (perhaps unlikely to happen?), Gammill/Pross, Castellaneta/Lacusta, Bill Odenkirk and Mike Price (not including the other executive producers). Plus Damilare Sonoiki, who surely didn't stick around long enough to get a writing credit, Cesar Mazariegos who's only just come in, and Jeff Martin who seems to be a semi-regular guest writer these days.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

There's been an episode swap for April 7th. Here are the details from TheFutonCritic.com...

MARGE DIRECTS A LOCAL THEATER PRODUCTION WHILE HOMER TAKES MAGGIE TO A DADDY AND ME CLASS ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, APRIL 7, ON FOX

John Lithgow Guest-Voices

Marge becomes Director of Springfield's local theater, armed with Lisa's script resembling "Hamilton." Meanwhile, Homer joins a baby class with Maggie, where he takes a liking to supervisor Chloe in the all-new "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, April 7 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3012) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders; Harry Shearer as Mr. Burns; Harry Shearer as Smithers; Harry Shearer as Lenny; Harry Shearer as Dr. Hibbert; Harry Shearer as Reverend Lovejoy; Harry Shearer as Kent Brockman; Harry Shearer as Otto; Harry Shearer as Jasper; Harry Shearer as Rainier Wolfcastle; Harry Shearer as Harry Shearer; Harry Shearer as OldSchoolerSimpsons

Guest Voice Cast: John Lithgow as himself
    Interesting that we get Lithgow in an episode the same weekend that Pet Sematary comes out.

This premise is actually really cool as Jeff Martin (who co-writes this script with I'm assuming, his daughter, Jenna - apologies if I'm incorrect on that) wrote the script for A Streetcar Named Marge back in Season 4. Llewellyn Sinclair (Jon Lovitz is also in this episode despite not being credited) was his creation and we even get a baby subplot focused on Maggie.

This will likely feel like a spiritual successor. I just hope it winds up better than Kamp Krustier did for David M. Stern.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-26-2019 at 04:24 AM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - ?/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - ?/5

Sub-mediocre artist Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Admittedly, we don't seem to get as many "Midge gets a job" episodes (my guess, less room for incompetence like with Homer) so that's pretty neat. And more Maggie, hard to complain 'bout that, she's one of the few characters that's consistently likable nowadays. Though wondering about Homer taking a liking to the supervisor. Would it be in the same sense as that one friend he had a few seasons back or taking a liking in a more... Mindy-ish sense? Though I suppose the B-plot is more a Homer one that Maggie.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Fox has announced that the season finales for its Sunday shows will be 5/12. No word yet on what is going to air 5/19, although I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-10 PM block has a repeat of the premiere of Paradise Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    I could see Fox having the season finales on 5/12 so it wouldn't compete with the final episode of Game of Thrones
    Or, you know, maybe, that's why.
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 03-27-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

D2ok4ZSUYAAniyi.jpg

I hope Nancy Cartwright will do better for her writing debut for the Simpsons than Harry Shearer did.

I like the premise of I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh too. But I wonder why they swapped this episode with The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby in the last minute. By the way, nice to see Maggie more and more involved.

Fox has announced that the season finales for its Sunday shows will be 5/12. No word yet on what is going to air 5/19, although I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-10 PM block has a repeat of the premiere of Paradise Hotel.

Or, you know, maybe, that's why.
    that's odd, they don't normally air them on mother's day, they usually do it on Victoria day weekend (which is the week after mother's day)
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    that's odd, they don't normally air them on mother's day, they usually do it on Victoria day weekend (which is the week after mother's day)
    Are you referring to season finales? Yes, they are traditionally on the Sunday the week before Memorial Day weekend (Memorial Day in the USA is the last Monday in May - if you're wondering why it isn't near November 11 like it is in other parts of the world, it is because it started before World War I), although a lot of Fox shows are airing their season finales a week earlier than usual. I think that is because Paradise Hotel, which is scheduled to run on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, starts on Thursday, May 9.

Hmmm...Paradise Island premieres on 5/9. It's possible that the original plan was to repeat the premiere on Sunday 5/12, followed by a new episode the next night, then air the Simpsons (and Bob's Burgers and Family Guy) season finales on 5/19, which would explain why Al Jean said the season finale was going to be on 5/19, but eventually decided against it.
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 03-28-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Are you referring to season finales? Yes, they are traditionally on the Sunday the week before Memorial Day weekend (Memorial Day in the USA is the last Monday in May - if you're wondering why it isn't near November 11 like it is in other parts of the world, it is because it started before World War I), although a lot of Fox shows are airing their season finales a week earlier than usual. I think that is because Paradise Hotel, which is scheduled to run on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, starts on Thursday, May 9.

Hmmm...Paradise Island premieres on 5/9. It's possible that the original plan was to repeat the premiere on Sunday 5/12, followed by a new episode the next night, then air the Simpsons (and Bob's Burgers and Family Guy) season finales on 5/19, which would explain why Al Jean said the season finale was going to be on 5/19, but eventually decided against it.
    they're airing it 3 times a week? either FOX is overconfident that it`ll be a hit or they`re desperate to burn it off

well I think I might know the real reason why the season finale isn't the week after mother's day this time, why? four words: game of thrones finale

In a rare instance of an introspective episode preview direct from the writer, here are some thoughts from Nancy Cartwright on what we can expect tonight from Girl's in the Band.

Nancy Cartwright Talks Writing Her First 'Simpsons' Episode After 30 Years Voicing Bart - John Russell, TV Insider

This Sunday’s episode finds Lisa Simpson drafted into a competitive children’s orchestra, lead by guest star J.K. Simmons in a role spoofing his Oscar-winning performance in 2014’s Whiplash. Cartwright based her script in part on her own childhood experiences as well as her family’s experience supporting her niece, Girl Meets World star Sabrina Carpenter.
    Why did you want to write an episode focused on Lisa rather than your own character?

I started playing trumpet when I was 10 — when I was Bart’s age! I was in band in elementary school, middle school, high school. I was in orchestra and switched over to French horn. I was not first chair. [Laughs] But I did have a sense of what I put Lisa through. But in my life, I did speech competitions [instead of band]. I took that and put it into the music world for Lisa, because it was something that was real for me. For writers, your best stuff is what you can pull from your own life.
    It’s such a complicated time for comedy. As someone writing comedy, were you influenced at all by some of the conversations surrounding comedy and satire and how it ages?

Oh, actually no. I just had a simple story that I wanted to tell. That’s just my truth of it. For me it was a simple story of Lisa. I loved that it was just the family and how the family gets along when one member is exceptional. She’s a gifted child, but the amount of sacrifice that the family has to make to support her… A lot of families go through things to help a kid who has special talents.
    There's a new clip from tonight's episode attached to this article as well.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-31-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Blog Entries

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE APPEARS IN REMAKE AS MENTAL PATIENT WHO BELIEVES HE'S JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

Guest-voice Justin Timberlake

In this special bonus episode, the producers of The Simpsons have redubbed the classic "Stark Raving Dad" from Season 3, and redubbed all previous lines originally recorded by Michael Jackson with the voice of Justin Timberlake. Homer winds up in a mental institution with a patient who believes to be Justin Timberlake in "STARK RAVING RAD", May 19 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3012) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders; Harry Shearer as Mr. Burns; Harry Shearer as Smithers.

Guest Voice Cast: Justin Timberlake as himself
    Bold move, let's hope Timberlake doesn't turn out to be a paedophile in thirty years.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

In a rare instance of an introspective episode preview direct from the writer, here are some thoughts from Nancy Cartwright on what we can expect tonight from Girl's in the Band.

Nancy Cartwright Talks Writing Her First 'Simpsons' Episode After 30 Years Voicing Bart - John Russell, TV Insider

There's a new clip from tonight's episode attached to this article as well.
    "Oh, actually no. I just had a simple story that I wanted to tell. That’s just my truth of it. "

and hey, turns out that's a really good mindset to go in with. Not a South-Park "what satire are we doing this week" but just coming in with a story to tell. And it worked really well and that's with the handicap of typically being a VA, not a writer (iirc, Dan's episodes don't tend to be that well received). It's nice to hear a little bit of what the writer in question of thinking of too.

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Bold move, let's hope Timberlake doesn't turn out to be a paedophile in thirty years.
    nice april fools joke

Another song in this season. Protagonized by John Frink. I can('t) wait. Iupi.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: TBA / Hail of the Teeth: TBA

"D'oh Canada" airs on April 28th

SIMPSONS, THE
    Air Date: Sunday, April 28, 2019
    Time Slot: 8:00 PM-8:30 PM EST on FOX
    Episode Title: (SI-3014) "D'oh Canada"
    VIEW ALL LISTINGS FOR SIMPSONS, THE
    [NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

SUNDAY, APRIL 28

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Audio descriptions for tonight's episodes of THE SIMPSONS, BOB'S BURGERS, and FAMILY GUY are available on the SAP Audio Channel.]

"THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

LISA IS GRANTED ASYLUM TO CANADA DURING A FAMILY VACATION ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, APRIL 28, ON FOX

On a family vacation to Niagara Falls, Lisa is mistakenly granted political asylum in Canada. When Marge goes to rescue Lisa, they are forced to re-evaluate their love for America as they navigate the polite Canadian landscape. Meanwhile, Homer takes Maggie to a "Daddy and Me" class in the all-new "D'oh Canada" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, April 28 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). (SI-3014) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Lucas Meyer as Justin Trudeau, Judy Blume as herself

With that in mind I am guessing we will get "The Incredible Likeness of Being a Baby' on May 5th and "Who-Hoo Dunnit" on May 12th

I'm confused by the apparent subplot overlap with Homer attending a baby class with Maggie between D'oh Canada and I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh.
    Because I'm guessing this is only a thing for ONE of these two episodes.

Meanwhile, Homer joins a baby class with Maggie, where he takes a liking to supervisor Chloe in the all-new "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, April 7 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3012) (TV-14 D, L, V)

The fact that Can't Say D'oh is apparently going to have a Hamilton parody has me incredibly nervous because Modern Simpsons' current cultural parodies, especially in the past few seasons, tend to be hackneyed and uninspired with an air of "how do you do, fellow kids" (e.g. Peekemon Get in Goodbart, Tunnelcraft in No Good Read). But Hamilton seems to be something that members of the writing crew would be more likely to be fans of, and thus would have a more in-depth knowledge of, so maybe it'll go well after all?

Similarly, I'm really not looking forward to the political asylum plot element in the Canada episode because that opens the door for a lot of political jokes, and it seems like in recent seasons the political humor has been a lot clumsier than in the past (I'm not saying that I don't think politics belongs in the Simpsons as a whole, because I'm well aware it's the show's bread and butter). Not to mention that it just seems like an incredibly contrived way to get Lisa/the family in Canada. I'm also a little bit wary that the way that the episode executes "the family goes to another (largely liberal) locale and re-evaluates how they feel about home" aspect is going to tread a lot of the same ground as the Boston episode, but that admittedly seems less likely.

I dunno, maybe I'm making mountains out of molehills here. (Moehills?)

I'm confused by the apparent subplot overlap with Homer attending a baby class with Maggie between D'oh Canada and I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh.
    Because I'm guessing this is only a thing for ONE of these two episodes.
    It would be interesting, but highly unlikely, if this were a subplot that carried over from one episode to the next.

I'm guessing it'll be in Can't Say D'oh because the thought of these baby classes going on while the family is traveling to a different country seems a bit odd to me and idk how that would work out.
    I'm Steven and my mom says I'm cool. Hablo español. icon by @ArtfulDodger923 on twitter.

RIP Frank Grimes 1962-1997

No episode ratings in my signature anymore, because I'm way behind.

wow I'm surprised they didn't get Trudeau himself, he would have voiced himself, (I mean come on Tony Blair did)

I know it's probably in reference to Todd Flanders especially given the Biblical reference but my brain saw the word "Todd" in the title and immediately thought of Todd Howard

So, Rod vs. Todd sibling rivalry? Ned having trouble with his kids?

Blog Entries

Guest starring Todd Howard as himself.

Who's laughing now?

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

gosh, they would, too

I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh promo pics are out...

That's clearly John Lithgow in the bear outfit. And I retract my earlier expectation that Polcino would be directing this ep because I'm positive this isn't him from these promo screen captures. It's either Anderson or Kramer. I'm going to lean towards Anderson returning from limbo as opposed to Kramer directing multiple episodes for the first time since the LABF production run.

Also, I see that Greta Wolfcastle now has a baby brother.

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    With that in mind I am guessing we will get "The Incredible Likeness of Being a Baby' on May 5th and "Who-Hoo Dunnit" on May 12th
    Apparently The Incredible Likeness of Being a Baby has been bumped to the fall...

But we're still looking at a 23-episode Season 30...

So if Woo-hoo Dunnit? is still earmarked as the likely season finale (as it was in February), that opens up the possibility of the May 5th episode being Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion.

Incidentally, I consider it rather poetic that on the same day this long-time Canadian fan travels to the States to see the voice of Lisa in person that an episode airs where the premise has Lisa fleeing the States to claim political asylum in Canada.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-04-2019 at 09:37 PM.

john litgow is the furry representation we all need

EDIT: also i'm loving marge's pantsuit
    Last edited by TenEight; 04-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised Gil is there. I mean, he has frequently mentioned a family and having kids who never want anything to do with him. But then in episodes like "Homer and Lisa Exchange Crosswords", "Tis the 30th Season" and I don't remember too well but Kill Gil I think also, Gil's kind of a scumbag who tries to intentionally ply sympathy from people (like pretending to be a short sighted widower) and will immediately take advantage of them for it. What I'm saying is, I'm surprised the talk about having a family wasn't a lie. At least I don't remember seeing any of them before.

Also, Bob's a published author. Spose that made his sideshow career all the more degrading.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Apparently The Incredible Likeness of Being a Baby has been bumped to the fall...

But we're still looking at a 23-episode Season 30...

So if Woo-hoo Dunnit? is still earmarked as the likely season finale (as it was in February), that opens up the possibility of the May 5th episode being Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion.
    I can now pass along that Woo-hoo Dunnit? is now (apparently) slated to air on May 5th and Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion has been reserved the season finale slot on May 12th.

I have to imagine that The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby is being specifically held for a larger audience share in the fall although I'm not sure the decision has been made to schedule it as the Season 31 premiere or whether they'll bump one of the non-holiday-specific episodes from the YABF19-YABF22 block up for premiere duty instead.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-05-2019 at 01:37 PM.

well they really have updated the pimento groove wall haven't they?

We're out of time.

I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh That's clearly John Lithgow in the bear outfit. And I retract my earlier expectation that Polcino would be directing this ep because I'm positive this isn't him from these promo screen captures. It's either Anderson or Kramer. I'm going to lean towards Anderson returning from limbo as opposed to Kramer directing multiple episodes for the first time since the LABF production run.
    Your first guess was correct. It was Polcino after all.

Thread Information