Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Season 30 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    My best guess of attached directors based on the released promo shots...

101 Mitigations - Mark Kirkland (has handled ABF07 each of the past three seasons)
    Confirmation from Mark that he did indeed direct this week's episode...

SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - ?/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - ?/5

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I don't know if she was promoted or this is a one-time thing. but Jennifer Moeller is mostly a character layout artist and there are a bunch of episodes where she was assistant director.
    I wonder if it have something to do with "Girl's in the Band" being written by Nancy Cartwright, maybe she requested a female director?
    Animation directors are almost always promoted from within the animation crew (MacMullan being the rare exception). Moeller got her start as an artist/animator back in Futurama, specifically the show's second season (1999/2000). Moved to The Simpsons around season 15 (2003/2004), and has been a regular contributor ever since (movie included). She's also been an assistant director on Disenchantment.

This explains why Kramer was given the second episode in the season, as well as Bob Anderson's noticeable absence. They had to fit Moeller into the new directing rotation.

Also, to corroborate with some Simpsons history. Jim Reardon also started as an assistant director before getting the chance to direct an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    So it's a South Park episode except written by Tatsuya Ishida?

It probably could have had some other new thing. Like maybe the girls just way prefer the new to the old but then turn on Bart when he doesn't hate the original I&S. As it is, it really sounds like a joke synopsis from a twitter conservative who rails against shows like Steven Universe all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    you know now I am very tempted to see the Simpsons do an episode called "South park Already did it"
    South Park isn't the only place this idea of an all-female movie reboot of its trademark mascot characters being done bringing on the furor of the local male geek population.

I present to you the bastion of Simpsons episode ideas that has been mined countless times before... the Simpsons Comics.

Issue 241 (one of the final issues prior to the comic's cancellation) was focused around a reboot of Radioactive Man with an all-female cast that consisted of Selma & Patty playing Radioactive Woman and Sherri & Terri playing Fallout Girl.

The ironic twist here is that the male protesters were upset over Radioactive Woman's costume being the wrong shade of red instead of the fact that the character was being rebooted as a woman (or, at least, that was Comic Book Guy's reasoning). And Bart was fine with the whole idea and simply used the opportunity to land another gig as Krusty's personal assistant... that and Krusty didn't know anything about Radioactive Man so he had Bart step in as his ghost director.

It was actually a pretty funny comic. If the Itchy & Scratchy ep Megan's throwing together is even half as good, I'll be thrilled.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-03-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Cesar Mazariegos is a new staff writer, as of YABF07. First time since the FABFs (03-04) that two new writers are listed in the end credits (Warburton/Chun). We know Damilare Sonoiki only has a few episodes left in the credits, though. At least they are trying to bring in some new blood.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB, Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Animation directors are almost always promoted from within the animation crew (MacMullan being the rare exception). Moeller got her start as an artist/animator back in Futurama, specifically the show's second season (1999/2000). Moved to The Simpsons around season 15 (2003/2004), and has been a regular contributor ever since (movie included). She's also been an assistant director on Disenchantment.

This explains why Kramer was given the second episode in the season, as well as Bob Anderson's noticeable absence. They had to fit Moeller into the new directing rotation.

Also, to corroborate with some Simpsons history. Jim Reardon also started as an assistant director before getting the chance to direct an episode.
    Do you know *why* Bob Anderson has been absent this season, jbauer?

By the by: I think Jennifer Moeller is the first directorial debut since Timothy Bailey in 2011. Apart from Matthew Schofield in 2009 (whose first credit was as co-director of THOH XX with Mike Anderson) you have to go back to 2007, when the resources drain The Simpsons Movie caused on the show got Matt Faughnan and Rob Oliver their debuts.

And on another note, "Girl's in the Band" must be one of an extremely small number of Simpsons episodes to have been written and directed by women? I make the last one as having been "See Homer Run" (Gillis/Kruse) back in Season 17!

There have been a total of seven women credited as writing or co-writing episodes this season: Stephanie Gillis, Deb Lacusta, Carolyn Omine, Renee Ridgeley, Jane Becker, Megan Amram and Nancy Cartwright, which also has to be a record, surely? (The total will rise to eight if "D'oh Canada", co-written by Miranda Thompson, is not held over to Season 31.)
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    There have been a total of seven women credited as writing or co-writing episodes this season: Stephanie Gillis, Deb Lacusta, Carolyn Omine, Renee Ridgeley, Jane Becker, Megan Amram and Nancy Cartwright, which also has to be a record, surely? (The total will rise to eight if "D'oh Canada", co-written by Miranda Thompson, is not held over to Season 31.)
    When I look back at Season 30 after it's done, this will be the most noteworthy and positive takeaway for me, IMO. It has led to rather positive results I'd say as well with Gillis winning the WGA (first time a woman has won on staff), the Dan & Deb episode being that tandem's most favourably received episode since AT LEAST Season 17's Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore (although I can see from your rating above that you didn't much care for it), Werking Mom turning out pretty damn excellent despite a shaky premise on paper... leaving only Ridgeley's co-written effort alongside Selman in Heartbreak Hotel as the one notable disappointment. And that was due more to a promising idea that simply wasn't executed well as opposed to being outright bad or phoned in.

On the trivia front, let's go one step further... with GIrl's in the Band being both written AND directed by first-timers making their debut with lead credits on the show, when was the last time THAT happened? I want to say it's Natural Born Kissers way back in Season 9 but am I missing an instance after that?

Promo pics are now out for Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy...

Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-06-2019 at 09:15 AM.

On the trivia front, let's go one step further... with GIrl's in the Band being both written AND directed by first-timers making their debut with lead credits on the show, when was the last time THAT happened? I want to say it's Natural Born Kissers way back in Season 9 but am I missing an instance after that?
    Matthew Faughnan's directorial debut was THOH XVII, which was co-directed with Silverman and the first of Peter Gaffney's two freelance scripts, and Nancy Kruse's first show was Simpsons Bible Stories which was Tim Long's first writing credit.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Bob Anderson (had his slot skipped earlier in this production run; ABF08 has been handled by Steven Dean Moore each of the past three seasons)
    E My Sports - Steven Dean Moore (ABF09 has been handled by Rob Oliver each of the past two seasons)
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - Chris Clements (has handled ABF10 each of the past two seasons; flipped spots with Rob Oliver mid-rotation back in Season 27)
    Girl's in the Band - Jennifer Moeller (confirmed)

And - although it should be obvious for anyone who has been keeping tabs on Al Jean's Twitter feed along with Selman's preference to tackle topical gender-role social issues - Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy was showrun by Matt Selman. Clements has directed Selman-showrun efforts on four previous occasions - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again, The Girl Code, The Marge-ian Chronicles and The Great Phatsby (Part 1).

As always, I reserve the right to be woefully incorrect.

P.S. I am generally enthusiastic about all three episodes that follow I Want You (She's So Heavy).

New synopsis for Girl's in the Band...

LISA JOINS THE CHILDREN'S PHILHARMONIC ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, MARCH 31, ON FOX

J.K. Simmons And Dave Matthews Make Guest-Voice Appearances

Lisa is scouted by the director of the Capitol City Philharmonic, to her band teacher's dismay. Homer works extra shifts at the plant so Lisa can play, putting strain on the family in the all-new "Girl's in the Band" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 31 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3011) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders; Harry Shearer as Mr. Burns; Harry Shearer as Smithers; Harry Shearer as Lenny; Harry Shearer as Dr. Hibbert; Harry Shearer as Reverend Lovejoy; Harry Shearer as Kent Brockman; Harry Shearer as Otto; Harry Shearer as Jasper; Harry Shearer as Rainier Wolfcastle

Guest Voice Cast: J.K. Simmons as Victor, Dave Matthews as Bartender
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-06-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by TheFutonCritic
    Ninjaed
    Also note Bob's Burgers is a repeat (well, two repeats) that night; that gives more credibility to the possibility of a 23-episode season (otherwise, why not match the shows, new episode for new episode?)

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Bob Anderson (had his slot skipped earlier in this production run; ABF08 has been handled by Steven Dean Moore each of the past three seasons)
    E My Sports - Steven Dean Moore (ABF09 has been handled by Rob Oliver each of the past two seasons)
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - Chris Clements (has handled ABF10 each of the past two seasons; flipped spots with Rob Oliver mid-rotation back in Season 27)

And - although it should be obvious for anyone who has been keeping tabs on Al Jean's Twitter feed along with Selman's preference to tackle topical gender-role social issues - Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy was showrun by Matt Selman. Clements has directed Selman-showrun efforts on four previous occasions - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again, The Girl Code, The Marge-ian Chronicles and The Great Phatsby (Part 1).

P.S. I am generally enthusiastic about all three episodes that follow I Want You (She's So Heavy).

Sounds very Lisa's Pony which isn't a bad thing. I'm looking forward to Nancy's first writing credit.

We're out of time.

Do you know *why* Bob Anderson has been absent this season, jbauer?

By the by: I think Jennifer Moeller is the first directorial debut since Timothy Bailey in 2011. Apart from Matthew Schofield in 2009 (whose first credit was as co-director of THOH XX with Mike Anderson) you have to go back to 2007, when the resources drain The Simpsons Movie caused on the show got Matt Faughnan and Rob Oliver their debuts..)
    I do not know. There have been seasons where the regular rotating animation directors skipped on directing. Tim Bailey in season 24. Rob Oliver in seasons 21 and 25. Clements in seasons 15, 16 and 17. Kramer's the only one I know the reason as to why (Futurama). But Bob Anderson has directed at least one episode every single broadcast season since 1993.

One could consider the possibility of Anderson deciding to finally retire altogether after all these years directing nonstop, but I don't think so. For one, he's not that old. David Silverman is still around. Rich Moore and Jim Reardon are hard at work at Disney animation. Wes Archer has been around longer than everyone else, and is still directing animated shows to this day (that well animated Disenchantment season finale was his).

On a side note, I was dead right in predicting that last Sunday's episode was going to be yet another case of a separate teleplay/story credit (it would be unusual for three writers to share the same writing credit, barring special Castellaneta-esque circumstances). And I was 95% sure that Brian Kelley was going to be on the teleplay side (that I owe to my knowledge of old Newsradio episode credits).

Also, we seem to have a new writer on staff: Cesar Mazariegos. He previously worked on an ABC crime show called Deception. I assume he's come to replace the departing Nigerian (Sonoiki).
    Last edited by jbauer; 03-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Sonoiki is still credited, though, so I presume there was some overlap?

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since Cartwright’s upcoming episode is a Lisa episode, does that mean if Yeardley Smith writes an episode it will be a Bart episode? Somebody suggested on a Reddit AMA that Yeardley write a Bart episode to return to the favor for Girl’s in the Band, and she said she doesn’t think she has the clout.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

We're out of time.

Sonoiki is still credited, though, so I presume there was some overlap?
    Overlap is common in animation. Since these episodes goes through numerous rewrites at various stages of production, it's safe to assume that a writer that was involved in pre-production might not be around when the episode undergoes another group rewrite at a later date. The opposite also applies. Remember each episode takes months to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Wes Archer has been around longer than everyone else, and is still directing animated shows to this day (that well animated Disenchantment season finale was his).
    I dont keep track of that many directors, but I always seem to spot Wes Archer in the credits of tv shows i love, he worked in rick and morty and Bob's Burgers too.

apparently the yellow m&m is going to be a yellow human here......I wonder if there will be a reference to the film that JK Simmons won an oscar for in the episode, I cannot for the life of me remember the film title
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

@ComicBookGal You're thinking of Whiplash.

“Bart VS Itchy & Scratchy” has the potential to be an interesting take on a current media subject that isn’t going away. I just hope it doesn’t end up like “E Plurbius Wiggum”, which made virtually no sense after three years.

Blog Entries

Glad we've moved on from the days of having a hundred candidates and an idiot warmongering president

Here is the general consensous of nohomers.net about the 15 episodes already aired in this season.

1. Daddicus Finch (3.84)
    2. 101 Mitigations (3.64)
    3. Baby You Can't Drive My Car (3.63)
    4. From Russia Without Love (3.60)
    5. Krusty the Clown (3.50)

6. Mad About the Toy (3.36)
    7. I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can (3.35)
    8. My Way or the Highway to Heaven (3.31)
    9. Bart's Not Dead (3.31)
    10. Werking Mom (3.27)
    11. The Girl on the Bus (3.20)

12. Heartbreak Hotel (2.95)
    13. Tis the Thirtieth Season (2.94)
    14. Treehouse of Horror XXIX (2.80)
    15. The Clown Stays in the Picture (2.78)

Unfortunately, none of those episodes is breaking into my Top 50 Post-Classic era episode list based on the criteria I established prior to the start of this season... which would make this the first season since Season 26 to draw a goose egg on that front.

That said, 5 out of 15 episodes with a 3.5 NoHomers consensus average or better is still pretty damn decent in my books. Hopefully we still have some standouts to look forward to from the remaining 7-8 episodes that have yet to air.

I am excited to see what Nancy can do with her episode as I feel the voice actors take a fresh fanfic approach to episodes they get to write themselves.

Blog Entries

too bad she is a moron

It is true she's done some less than wise things in her life like use Bart to promote the cult of Scientology, so it might be true even though you're joking and I wouldn't attack her as such.

Put down the pitchforks, people. Nancy isn't peddling scientology in her episode script. Not everyone with a flawed belief system is insistent upon pushing it on others and can inextricably detach from it in order to pursue an artistic/creative craft.

Hell, I consider it downright refreshing that her first script isn't even focused on one of her own characters which certainly wasn't the case for Dan ("Days of Wine and D'oh'ses") or Harry ("Trust but Clarify").

Looks like I was wrong about Bob Anderson getting squeezed back into the rotation this week. Steven Dean Moore worked his traditional ABF08 slot which leads me to naturally conclude that Rob Oliver will be getting the nod for E My Sports.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-10-2019 at 06:51 PM.

We're out of time.

Looks like I was wrong about Bob Anderson getting squeezed back into the rotation this week. Steven Dean Moore worked his traditional ABF08 slot which leads me to naturally conclude that Rob Oliver will be getting the nod for E My Sports.
    Unless Lance Kramer goes for round 2. It would be unusual, but Kramer has done 3 episodes in a single season before, namely season 18.

@jbauer If it winds up being Kramer again, then I'm going to legitimately start questioning my ability to discern directors from available promo material.

Teaser preview for E My Sports...

Promo pics for Girl's in the Band...

I probably should have connected the dots sooner given that they were bringing J.K. Simmons back for a different role than one he's done previously... AND the Capitol City Philharmonic premise... but this is TOTALLY a Whiplash send-up.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-11-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Plot of "The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby"

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Audio descriptions for tonight's episodes of THE SIMPSONS, BOB'S BURGERS, and FAMILY GUY are available on the SAP Audio Channel.]

"THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

MAGGIE FALLS HARD FOR A BABY SHE MEETS AT THE PLAYGROUND ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, APRIL 7, ON FOX

Marge won't let Maggie play with her new baby crush because of his annoying mother, leading Maggie into a depressive spiral. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns tasks Homer with swindling Cletus out of his helium fortune in the all-new "The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, April 7 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3013) (TV-14 L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Read more: Listings - SIMPSONS, THE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz5i4Vq2yTV
    little worry about maggie being "depressed". (more if we consider is being written by Tom Gammill & Max Pross) on the other hand a maggie episode sounds great and Its not done quite often.
    I also wonder why they skiped "YABF12 - I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say D'oh"
    Last edited by MDB; 03-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Soon Season 31

Happy that someone's interested in writing stories for Mags.
    Just hope that Pross & Gammill are capable of coming up with something better than Whistler's Father this time around.

Assuming a 23 episode season, that leaves only 3 episodes left to air. Al kinda-sorta confirmed "I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say D'oh" for April 28 and "Woo Hoo Dunnit?" for May 19, so either May 5 or 12 will likely not air an episode during May sweeps. Perhaps the Miss USA pageant will pre-empt the Sunday line-up again, as in 2017

Thread Information