Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Season 30 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

According to TheFutonCritic, The Simpsons got almost Ten Million Viewers on Sunday - and for a repeat, no less!

Hmmm...you don't think that the listed rating for the 7:00 episode is actually counting the end of the Daytona 500, which is what actually aired in that time slot, for the eastern half of the country, and combining it with the actual ratings for the episode that aired in the west, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Bart's Not Dead, written by Stephanie Gillis, won the animated WGA.
    https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1...472764417?s=19
    The worst episode of the season for me so far. People may disagree but I'm sure we all agree that there are others so much better this season.
    Soon Season 31

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I don't put much stock into the show's numerous WGA wins. Jeff Westbrook and Joel H. Cohen have each racked up three WGA awards since 2007.

Westbrook won for Kill Gil Volumes 1 & 2, Apocalypse Cow and Ned 'N Edna's Blend.
    Cohen won for Wedding for Disaster, Homer the Father and A Test Before Trying.

This has been during a stretch where The Simpsons is far from being considered the best written show in animation yet the show still racked up 12 of the 17 awards in this category since it was first introduced back in 2002... and where most of the long-time fans watching the show would place Westbrook and Cohen in their bottom tier of writers as opposed to ones deserving of racking up half of the show's WGA bounty.

That said, I will call out a positive... Stephanie Gillis is the second consecutive woman to win the WGA (Kate Purdy was the first last year for BoJack Horseman) after 15 straight wins for male writers. That is a trend I will applaud - and not just because Stephanie beat out Ryan Koh.

Promo pics are out for I Want You (She's So Heavy)...

This has been Steven Dean Moore's slot in the production rotation for the past 3 seasons.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 02-20-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - ?/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/17 episode info:
    HOMER SUPPORTS BART'S AFFINITY FOR VIDEO GAMES ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, MARCH 17, ON FOX

Natasha Lyonne and Ken Jeong Guest-Voice

As Bart begins to excel in video game competitions, Homer discovers a passion for coaching him. Lisa attempts to bring Homer back to reality, but the plan causes chaos in the all-new "E My Sports" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 17 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). (SI-3009) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Natasha Lyonne as Sophie, Ken Jeong as Korean Monk
    Speaking of Flanders, is anyone else surprised that they haven't had any episodes where Ned is actually teaching Bart's class since Marge gave him the idea?
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 02-21-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Interesting that they're trotting out recently recast Sophie Krustofsky for a 3rd appearance in this episode.

If they're retconning her into a gamer girl rival for Bart in competitive E-Sports that doesn't exactly mesh with her established persona of being a reserved girl who has largely been shown to be devoted to playing musical instruments - although it could be amusing to see her intrinsically gifted at military shooters seeing how her mother has those skills in real life.

Making someone like Nikki into a gamer girl would seem to make more sense on paper seeing how she's already been shown to have similar interests to Bart, there's a previously established tension dynamic and the natural parallels to the Wreck-It Ralph franchise seeing how Sarah Silverman shares a voice with both Nikki and Vanellope.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

That rabbit is dynamite! Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe she'd just be presenting or something? Like being pushed into the spotlight by Krusty? Though not totally because he's a selfish ass, Sophie seems to be one of the few people in the world he actually likes (certainly one of the very few he stuck his neck out for to make up for something he usually wouldn't care about), he probably just wants her to be a success and measures that solely by fame.

There's been a few moments that show the twins are gamer girls themselves, not just in the HD intro but also as far back as Moaning Lisa and in The Simpsons Game. Plus they're just much better used with Bart (outside of Barthood, when was the last time they had a scene?) than as redundant exposition fodder for the Lisa has no Friends episodes. Plus you wouldn't even have to get Sarah Silverman back. After THOH 27 I'd be happy to never see anyone voiced by her ever again. Hell, I'd even be okay with Jenda over Nikki, maybe they can finally give her an actual character considering how she's Jean's pick for Bart's ultimate canon love interest apparently.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

ZABF01: Bobby, It's Cold Outside
    We don't know who is the writer yet.

Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 2/5

UPCOMING EPISODES
    Livin' La Pura Vida: ?/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: ?/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: ?/5

Blog Entries

it's a sideshow bob xmas
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Speaking of Flanders, is anyone else surprised that they haven't had any episodes where Ned is actually teaching Bart's class since Marge gave him the idea?
    Someone asked Jean about it on Twitter:

ZABF01: Bobby, It's Cold Outside
    We don't know who is the writer yet.
    Fuck. It's written by Frink and... Westbrook! Nothing can be worse, right?

We're out of time.

Fuck. It's written by Frink and... Westbrook! Nothing can be worse, right?
    By the way, don't expect a Michael Price episode anytime soon. He's busy on F is for Family's fourth season, and won't be back to break Simpsons stories before May. I wouldn't expect one of his episodes until late season 31, and that's if it isn't a holdover episode, in which case, expect season 32 at the earliest.

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/reddit...s-season-four/

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    By the way, don't expect a Michael Price episode anytime soon. He's busy on F is for Family's fourth season, and won't be back to break Simpsons stories before May. I wouldn't expect one of his episodes until late season 31, and that's if it isn't a holdover episode, in which case, expect season 32 at the earliest.

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/reddit...s-season-four/
    Might there be a period of time where he's not credited as a producer as a result?
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

The Price of Family (F is for, that is)

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Might there be a period of time where he's not credited as a producer as a result?
    That will probably remain unchanged. They'd have to change the terms of contract (which also reflects on salary per episode, which a producer credit automatically guarantees), and that's likely not happening.

It's been this arrangment since season 27. The only difference is he usually found time to deliver a Simpsons script pretty early in the season's production run. It'll only take longer this time around.

promo for "101 Mitigations"

some airdates
    March 24: YABF10 - Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy (he said likelly rather than yes) Source
    March 31: YABF11 - Girl's in the Band Source
    May 19: YABF15 - Woo-hoo Dunnit? is the season finale. Source

I have a feeling we will get a 23 episode season this time around.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Promotional pics for E My Sports:

Notice Sophie in the second pic.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

My best guess of attached directors based on the released promo shots...

101 Mitigations - Mark Kirkland (has handled ABF07 each of the past three seasons)
    I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Bob Anderson (had his slot skipped earlier in this production run; ABF08 has been handled by Steven Dean Moore each of the past three seasons)
    E My Sports - Steven Dean Moore (ABF09 has been handled by Rob Oliver each of the past two seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    I have a feeling we will get a 23 episode season this time around.
    For context, the last season to contain more than 22 episodes was Season 21.
    It immediately followed a 21-episode Season 20... and Season 29 was the first time a season had FEWER than 22 episodes since Season 20.

I wouldn't bet against you on this.

this is nice. looks like someone got a promotion!

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Blog Entries

So what was she promoted from? Either way, nice to see some semblance of new meat in the writing room... lord knows the showrunner isn't changing anytime ever.

Also good on 'em, the last few sets of promo images (cept maybe second from last) are at least somewhat interesting. Though it's a little eerie it happened almost immediately after I complained about the totally generic set for.... think it was Girl on the Bus?

I don't know if she was promoted or this is a one-time thing. but Jennifer Moeller is mostly a character layout artist and there are a bunch of episodes where she was assistant director.
    I wonder if it have something to do with "Girl's in the Band" being written by Nancy Cartwright, maybe she requested a female director?

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Also good on 'em, the last few sets of promo images (cept maybe second from last) are at least somewhat interesting. Though it's a little eerie it happened almost immediately after I complained about the totally generic set for.... think it was Girl on the Bus?
    Yeah, more variety in the promo pic department is always welcome. They're intended to hype up and publicize an episode after all so there's no excuse to cut corners with them.

The primary concern I have with this weekend's multi-writer episode is that there's potential for it to come off unfocused. There doesn't exactly appear to be much in the way of immediate correlation between the Homer/CBG car joyride plot (which I hope Kumiko is actively engaged in) or the Burns/Del Toro mitigation plot outside of both actively involving the legal system. They did find a way for the similarly-titled 500 Keys to work out just fine so there's certainly potential here for something unique and fresh. (There's a secret part of me that wants them to send up Night Court and just have Judge Snyder mow through a myriad of wacky court cases.)

I'm also rather enthused about the E My Sports premise... especially if it involves Homer going off the deep end in encouraging Bart's talents. This seems somewhat similar to A Star Is Torn conceptually except where Homer's "methods" might actually be well-received by Bart. (For those with eagle eyes, you'll spot Training a Tiger by Earl Woods - which is an actual book, incidentally - on Homer's nightstand in Promo Pic 6.)

And everything to do with Girl's in the Band sounds promising... from Jennifer Moeller's directing promotion to Nancy Cartwright's first script for a Lisa-centric ep.

The back half of Season 30 seems to be full of promise... outside of the Westbrook ep.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/24 episode:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFutonCritic
    BART JOINS A GROUP OF SIXTH-GRADE GIRLS IN THEIR PROTEST ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, MARCH 24, ON FOX

Awkwafina and Nicole Byer Guest-Voice

Krusty releases an all-female reboot of "Itchy and Scratchy," so Bart and his crew of all-male friends decide to boycott the show. After Bart's friends turn on him for laughing at the reboot, Bart joins a woke group of sixth-grade girls who commit crimes against patriarchy in the all-new "Bart Vs. Itchy & Scratchy" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 24 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3010) (TV-14 L, S, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Awkwafina as Carmen, Nicole Byer as Erica

Blog Entries

Annnnd so much for promise.

Not sure what's worse, actually using the term "woke" not as a joke, or having several more guest voice girls who'll never be seen again and likely won't be at all interesting instead of the ones that already exist or sounding like it's going full sinfest. And that is NOT a good direction to take something.
    ... Also bet Martin's amongst the group because for some reason they've been pushing him as a misogynist a lot despite being way girlier than even the girls, and a lot of them are pretty darn girly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Yeah, more variety in the promo pic department is always welcome. They're intended to hype up and publicize an episode after all so there's no excuse to cut corners with them.

The primary concern I have with this weekend's multi-writer episode is that there's potential for it to come off unfocused. There doesn't exactly appear to be much in the way of immediate correlation between the Homer/CBG car joyride plot (which I hope Kumiko is actively engaged in) or the Burns/Del Toro mitigation plot outside of both actively involving the legal system. They did find a way for the similarly-titled 500 Keys to work out just fine so there's certainly potential here for something unique and fresh. (There's a secret part of me that wants them to send up Night Court and just have Judge Snyder mow through a myriad of wacky court cases.)

I'm also rather enthused about the E My Sports premise... especially if it involves Homer going off the deep end in encouraging Bart's talents. This seems somewhat similar to A Star Is Torn conceptually except where Homer's "methods" might actually be well-received by Bart. (For those with eagle eyes, you'll spot Training a Tiger by Earl Woods - which is an actual book, incidentally - on Homer's nightstand in Promo Pic 6.)

And everything to do with Girl's in the Band sounds promising... from Jennifer Moeller's directing promotion to Nancy Cartwright's first script for a Lisa-centric ep.

The back half of Season 30 seems to be full of promise... outside of the Westbrook ep.
    The plot device reminds me too much of the plot device in "Once Upon a Time in Springfield"

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    The plot device in "Bart vs Itchy and Scratchy" reminds me too much of the plot device in "Once Upon a Time in Springfield"
    Oops! I posted this on the wrong response. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    3/24 episode:
    why reboot itchy and scratchy....but wait a minute....didn't south park do this already?
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

@ComicBookGal They did indeed. Season 13's Eat, Pray, Queef had the Canada Channel replace Terrance & Phillip with The Queef Sisters... essentially, their female counterparts.

Likewise in that episode, all of South Park's men were outraged. Terrance & PhillIp vowed to murder their replacements but then fell in love with them - which, I guess, is somewhat similar to Once Upon a Time in Springfield. The twist where Bart finds the jokes funny and then hooks up with the older "woke" girls is somewhat new at least.

Blog Entries

So it's a South Park episode except written by Tatsuya Ishida?

It probably could have had some other new thing. Like maybe the girls just way prefer the new to the old but then turn on Bart when he doesn't hate the original I&S. As it is, it really sounds like a joke synopsis from a twitter conservative who rails against shows like Steven Universe all day.

you know now I am very tempted to see the Simpsons do an episode called "South park Already did it"

Thread Information