Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Season 30 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Guest Voice Cast: Bryan Bott as photographer/Carl
    Going to assume the fox promo department misspelled Bryan Batt

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Solstice ataeaf View Post
    I would say Bob Anderson should be the director according to the rotation, but considering Lance Kramer ended up as the director for Tis the 30th Season instead of Rob Oliver I’m not sure.
    I don't think there should be much change in the direction rotation, if any. The last time Kramer directed an early episode during the production run was in season 23, and then he missed season 24 altogether (which he made up for by directing an early season 25 episode). That happened because he had to direct multiple episodes of Futurama that year. If he's drafted to do any episodes of Disenchantment (for the show's already scheduled second season), that would justify this change in the Simpsons directing order.

Next episode is probably Oliver's, unless Mike Anderson steps up and directs an actual episode. That would certainly change the rotation.
    Last edited by jbauer; 12-14-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Promo pics for Mad About the Toy :

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Fox likes "Heartbreak Hotel" so much, it's airing it twice in a row!

Okay, not really - Fox is just making plans for when the NFL playoff schedule is announced, presumably right after the final regular season game on 12/30. Fox will probably get a 4:30 game on either 1/6 or 1/13 - my current guess: the Rams will probably get a bye, and a home game on the second weekend, and Fox will air that at 4:30 on 1/13 - and air Heartbreak Hotel on the other Sunday at 7:00.
    Then again, Fox got both late games last year, so it's quite possible that CBS can get both this year.

The girl on the bus

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]
    SUNDAY, JANUARY 13

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Audio descriptions for tonight's episodes of THE SIMPSONS, BOB'S BURGERS, FAMILY GUY, and REL are available on the SAP Audio Channel.]

- "THE SIMPSONS" - (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

LISA HAS A NEW BEST FRIEND ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, JANUARY 13, ON FOX

Patty LuPone and Terry Gross Make Guest-Voice Appearances

When Lisa spots a new best friend from the window of the bus, she gets a taste of what life could be like with a different, more cultured family, and proceeds to try and live a double life in the all-new "The Girl on the Bus" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Jan. 13 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT). (SI-3004) (TV-PG L, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Patty LuPone as Sam's Mother, Terry Gross as Herself

Read more: Listings - SIMPSONS, THE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz5aFxCkxG4
    Soon Season 31

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Patty LuPone as Sam's Mother, Terry Gross as Herself
    So, we know who's voicing Sam's mother, but not Sam? Yes, it will probably be one of the regulars, but except for Russi Taylor, all of the ones you would expect to voice a girl are already listed.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My money’s on Tress MacNeille. Those are the default credits for the voice cast, right down to crediting Harry twice for both Skinner and Flanders. Usually Russi only voices Martin or the twins.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Solstice ataeaf View Post
    My money’s on Tress MacNeille. Those are the default credits for the voice cast, right down to crediting Harry twice for both Skinner and Flanders. Usually Russi only voices Martin or the twins.
    Oh yes. Tress is pretty much one of the principal cast members now, even if she's still credited in the "Also Starring" part of the end credits.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Oh yes. Tress is pretty much one of the principal cast members now, even if she's still credited in the "Also Starring" part of the end credits.
    Whenever a secondary character voiced by a secondary cast member gets an episode centered around him/her, that actor gets a full starring credit. It already happened to both Tress and also Pamela Hayden (whenever we get Milhouse centric episodes).

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Whenever a secondary character voiced by a secondary cast member gets an episode centered around him/her, that actor gets a full starring credit. It already happened to both Tress and also Pamela Hayden (whenever we get Milhouse centric episodes).
    Oh yes; first time that happened IIRC was the "Radioactive Man" episode from Season 7. And now Pamela Hayden has been appearing in every episode since 2009, alongside Tress (whom first began appearing in every episode in 1999). Even if Milhouse or Jimbo don't appear, Pamela will do an incidental female voice, and I can recognize her pretty well nowadays.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Fox likes "Heartbreak Hotel" so much, it's airing it twice in a row!

Okay, not really - Fox is just making plans for when the NFL playoff schedule is announced, presumably right after the final regular season game on 12/30. Fox will probably get a 4:30 game on either 1/6 or 1/13 - my current guess: the Rams will probably get a bye, and a home game on the second weekend, and Fox will air that at 4:30 on 1/13 - and air Heartbreak Hotel on the other Sunday at 7:00.
    Then again, Fox got both late games last year, so it's quite possible that CBS can get both this year.
    The NFL has announced its postseason schedule: Fox doesn't even have a game on 1/6 (NBC gets the "late" game that day), but will air the 4:30 game on 1/13.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    The NFL has announced its postseason schedule: Fox doesn't even have a game on 1/6 (NBC gets the "late" game that day), but will air the 4:30 game on 1/13.
    Hopefully the 1/13 episode is better as it stands to be the last episode from this season to command a massive audience.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - ?/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - ?/5

the episode "YABF12 - I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say D'oh" features Jon Lovitz once again as Llewellyn Smith. The episode is written by Jeff Martin and Jenna Martin, who is Jeff's daughter.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Promo pics for The Girl on the Bus are now out...

Given that this is Lisa-centric and from Cohen, I've got generally bad vibes about its likely quality. Which is a shame as it's going to have a sizable NFL lead-in.

The premise seems pretty well telegraphed, too. Lisa hates her family for being peasants who watch TV all the time and eat TV dinners in the living room, sees strange new girl with bi-racial parents from the bus, hooks up with new friend and uses her to see what an actual cultured family is like, they're stereotyped as all hell, forms no actual connection with new friend, eventually sees that new family is pretentious and that there's little actual substance beyond the surface-level outward impression, Lisa appreciates her family again, another 22 minutes has been filled.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sigh, once again they focus on a character we’ve never seen before and will never see again instead of characters we see all the time and have been in the show since the first six seasons and have the potential to be interesting.

Look, I’m sure Sam, the new friend, will be an fine character and all, but they really do tend to squander characters like Janey, the twins, and Allison unless it’s a Meg Griffin thing where they just show up to get crapped on.

Sub-mediocre artist Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry Janey, your spot as the token black friend to make white character seem more "woke" has been taken. :P

It looks pretty mediocre, joking aside. Also, pretty sure there's two grabs from the same scene. Twice.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I don't know why but I find those pics pretty mediocre on animation terms. Which director do you think it is ?

Also, I'm agree on two points :
    - The writers shouldn't confuse a simple plot with a telegraphed plot.
    - They should stop creating new dull kids that we'll probably never see again instead of the usual characters (seriously, when was the last time Allison and Janey had a spoken appearance ?). At least, Sam doesn't seem to have a guest voice.

Yeah, that looks very boring. I'm more interested by Mad About the Toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    The premise seems pretty well telegraphed, too. Lisa hates her family for being peasants who watch TV all the time and eat TV dinners in the living room, sees strange new girl with bi-racial parents from the bus, hooks up with new friend and uses her to see what an actual cultured family is like, they're stereotyped as all hell, forms no actual connection with new friend, eventually sees that new family is pretentious and that there's little actual substance beyond the surface-level outward impression, Lisa appreciates her family again, another 22 minutes has been filled.
    Great call, I won't be at all surprised if it turns out that you've got that beat for beat. Also...

I guess we know what role Kevin Michael Richardson is going to have.
    A little less Generic than before.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I still wonder why they waited so long to add him as a recurring cast member. He fits like a glove.

As for the episode itself, it doesn't exactly either sound or look very inspired so I'm having very low expectations for it, though it might surprise as some episodes as of late has been a little better than they seemed.

Not looking forward to this one, I will never understand why this show shoves in one time/new characters and develops them for one episode to never be seen again, when there's enough kids that have been seen for 30 years and never really given any depth (Wendell, Lewis, Janey come to mind immediately) and others that already filled a certain role only to be replaced by an inferior new character (Allison Taylor getting replaced by Hubert Wong as Lisa's rival for example). Side note, I'm salty that they're developing a new Sam before we ever learn anything about Sam the barfly

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I still wonder why they waited so long to add him as a recurring cast member. He fits like a glove.
    He's a superlative talent. They just need to give him actual characters instead of trotting out generic one-shot token black characters for him that are never revisited. Then again, they've been using him for NINE YEARS now and all we've gotten is Anger Watkins appearing in 3 episodes so it's probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    for the episode itself, it doesn't exactly either sound or look very inspired so I'm having very low expectations for it, though it might surprise as some episodes as of late has been a little better than they seemed.
    We've got a bottom-barrel premise from one of the writing staff's worst writers (Joel H. Cohen) and the animation team's worst animators (Bob Anderson). Cohen has been directly involved with the two poorest-received episodes of Season 30 in THOH XXIX and 'Tis the 30th Season. I suspect he'll seal the trifecta here.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Promo pics for The Girl on the Bus are now out...

Given that this is Lisa-centric and from Cohen, I've got generally bad vibes about its likely quality. Which is a shame as it's going to have a sizable NFL lead-in.

This is already sounding like a Frankenstein-esque mishmash of Friend with Benefit(an mostly unremarkable episode), Lisa's Rival, and various other Lisa makes a friend episodes.

Cohen has a pretty poor track record, I'll give you that. He did write 22 for 30, Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life, and Brawl in the Family, so at least he's got a few decent ones (including a pretty good Lisa one). Still got low expectations but I guess we'll have to see.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

His THOHs are a reliable source of painful mediocrity.

Sub-mediocre artist Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So basically the only good thing Cohen has done was inspire the name of a great Super Smash Bros webcomic.

Well that's more good than I thought he'd done before.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

I enjoyed The Debarted... even if it did kick off the unfortunate trend of casting celebrities to voice kids in Bart & Lisa's age bracket that could never in a million years pass for not having already gone through puberty.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

We've got a bottom-barrel premise from one of the writing staff's worst writers (Joel H. Cohen) and the animation team's worst animators (Bob Anderson). Cohen has been directly involved with the two poorest-received episodes of Season 30 in THOH XXIX and 'Tis the 30th Season. I suspect he'll seal the trifecta here.
    Unfortunately it does seem to ring true that it will be a letdown since all signs seem to point at it, despite any hopes and wishes that it would be at least an above average one. Just the writer ring some warning bells; a great one could make something out of a tired premise like this.

And as for Kevin Michael Richardson, I do too hope he'll get some recurring characters other than Anger Watkins (who is pretty lame and one-note). Wasting his talent on mostly forgettable one-timer characters feels like a waste.

Blog Entries

Thread Information