Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

How would you like The Simpsons DVD's/Blu Ray's once the show has finished, what kind of release?

I did a similar topic to this briefly somewhere in regards to things we'd like to see when the show has wrapped up, for example commemorative plaques, DVD releases etc.. however I wanted to make this specifically aimed to the DVD/Blu Ray collection and how you would like this to be released when the show has finally wrapped up.

Some things to think about.

The release
    The packaging
    The extra's
    Limited editions
    Free gifts with the release
    On screen presentation/menu's
    Formats

Although I've got all the DVD's up until season 18 (with hopefully more to come) I do feel when the show has wrapped up they should make a huge massive box set compiling of all the seasons on DVD/Blu Ray as one big collection for the release, like a massive thank you and commemorative thing for the show that we can all have and keep which no doubt would sell loads as regardless of what people debate on various seasons, on a whole The Simpsons is one of the greatest shows of all time and that in itself is enough for it to be a huge success, without a doubt people will want a whole collection of this in one big box set.

For me, with the packaging I would really like to see the DVD's/Blu Ray's released so they fit nicely on the shelf among all our other DVD's we may have, I've never been a fan of those shaped head editions of the DVD's and anytime I've bought a box set version (for example The Simpsons Movie) I always like to take the DVD out so that it goes on my shelf with the other DVD's and then I'll put the box safe somewhere to keep it new so this is something that's really important to me. I bought a Family Guy box set a while back which has the first 6 seasons and it comes in like a treasure chest type box with the DVD's inside a smaller square box so you flip through the discs that are held in slip cases and it's not great really, sure you get all the extra's like playing cards, chips, dice, cosy etc.. which are really nice but you can't put the DVD's on your shelf or anything, so I'd definitely like the DVD's/Blu Rays to be able to fit nicely with the other DVD's and Blu Rays I have on my shelf so they're easy to get, see and choose as and when we want to.

I would also like the packaging and artwork to be really vibrant and feature lots of the characters all over, don't get me wrong, I love The Simpsons family (of course) but I also love so many characters, even rarer characters that don't always get seen or the recognition they should so when I see them on things I love it. For example Dr Marvin Monroe, Frank Grimes, Troy McClure, Lionel Hutz, Moe, the Duff characters, Skinner, Cowboy Bob, etc etc.. I'd love to see these all included in the artwork too as it's a celebration of the show and their characters, which The Simpsons has so many loved characters and a whole town of them that is really unique and something I love.

In regards to the extra's we could get really creative with that, it would be cool to have the writers of the show take a load of Twitter questions and have so many answered personally by them on the DVD's which would be great for fans as they would also get to be a part of their history which I know The Simpsons are very passionate about their fans and involving them with the show, specially Al Jean who you will see interact with fans on Twitter etc.. that I think it's really nice as it's quite rare these people do and they don't have to so I really appreciate and admire them for that, with something like the Twitter questions fans would also get to have something that is with them and be very proud to get their questions answered on the DVD/Blu Ray. A documentary would be good too covering the history of the show the best they can in an hour special or something from the creation of the show with the shorts to the peak of the show and the later seasons, it would be good to get the take of the people working on the show or who have worked on the show their vibes on things, backstage footage which would be really insightful and nice to hear. The regular commentary would be great and we could keep the one's that are already recorded as normal, any animatics and story boards are always nice and things such as Do The Bartman, Deep Deep Trouble and commercials as extra's being kept too with the relevant seasons. An introduction from Matt Groening and the team is also nice, like Matt did with season 18, I thought that was great! Deleted scenes and easter eggs are great too, basically all the extra's that are on the DVD's already would be nice to go into a final release with the added bonus of things mentioned above.

In regards to limited editions I'm all for this depending on what kind of releases they are, as mentioned I do want a collection where I can put the DVD's/Blu Ray's as normal on display with all my other DVD's on the shelf otherwise I end up with something I've got to put away somewhere else and it's forgotten about or not seen and barely ever gets watched, it's a bit awkward when you have a DVD collection you can't put with your DVD's so as long as this is ok where you can take them out and do this, then it's all good to have extra box sets and limited editions. For example I mentioned The Simpsons Movie limited edition which I bought that's basically a box with the normal DVD inside, I'll put a picture after this paragraph so you can see what I mean for anyone who's not sure but my point is if the regular DVD comes in a box with extra's such as a plush, figurines, commemorative plaques, productions cells, or anything extra I'm more than happy and will support but this is something that is a make or break for me which is why I never bought the shaped heads as they're just too awkward to display with the regular DVD's which is something I want to be able to do, though I would love a limited edition version with the regular DVD's inside and extra's such as with The Simpsons Movie which was perfect.

Free gifts with the release as mentioned above really, maybe some figurines that celebrate the show with something on them that shows they are specifically unique for this, for example, they could be like some metal type small characters with circular bases and something such as "Celebrating 30 years of the longest running sitcom in history" (however many years) or something along those lines, so we could have 4 or 5 figurines we could put on a shelf, a little like Monopoly figures. Maybe a commemorative plaque/cell we could put on our wall would be nice, some posters, postcards, stickers, little extra's like that are always a nice bonus, but something unique really made in small amounts or limited edition for hardcore fans which would buy these as they would only make so many of them which would be enough to cater to this audience.

One screen presentation/menu's I really love the animated menu's they have, again, something bright and vibrant with lots of various characters throughout the menu's would be awesome, I'd also love to keep the "Play All" button on each disc as it can be a bit tedious having to browse the menu's on the earlier releases when you want to have a Simpsons binge and you have to keep selecting the episode each time one has finished, it's a little like Netflix people hate where it says "Are you still watching", I've seen so many people crying out for Netflix to get rid of that haha but definitely a "Play All" button I think is quite important with all the options such as commentary on/off etc.. I'm quite easy in regards to this kinda stuff so that's all I'd like really, nice interactive menu's, easy to navigate, bright and vibrant and lots of characters with maybe some banner at the top celebrating the show for however many years it's been before they wrapped up

Formats, again DVD is probably the most important release, although Blu Ray I think is equally important but as mentioned in a previous thread there is still a lot of people that don't have Blu Ray players where as it's very rare people don't have a DVD player, lots of TV's have DVD players built in or people still have DVD players they've had for years but aren't really interested in buying the whole Blu Ray thing, I'm a huge fan of Blu Ray too and I love the quality that I prefer to watch things on Blu Ray if possible and although I may have bought a Blu Ray player by this point, it was only because I have a Playstation 4 I started to buy a couple of Blu Rays (I have quite a lot now) so I do feel that Blu Ray is just as important with the release however of course DVD's can be played by everyone so will probably be the better seller on a whole (as of now).

So what do you guys things? I really hope they do release a huge box set once the show has wrapped up as I think that's really important, of course I want them to continue the regular releases so I can complete my collection, as mentioned before it's hard for us in the UK with the later seasons because we can only catch them when they are on TV where as we want to be able to access them when we like the same way we can if we want to put on season one for example but as they are quite behind on the releases (Season 18 being the latest) the show will no doubt wrap up before they catch up with these, so I really do hope we get a huge final collection released once the show has finally wrapped up.

I would love to hear from you guys in regards to this and hopefully some people behind the show/manufacturers will see this at some point and get some vibes from fans and what we would like so they can cater to that and make a profit ha

I look forward to hearing from you

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In terms of the release, what they would want to do (and I'm completely up for this) is a big build up to the DVD releases, and some release dates would be nice (a bit like what they did for Season 18).

When it comes to the packaging, I don't like the shaped heads thing either (I have season 7 in this format. It annoys me way too much to see it sitting on my shelf). Clearly not a lot of people liked the shaped heads thing, because they dropped that idea fairly quickly. Personally I want to see something similar to the regular packaging they've done so far (i.e, roughly the same dimensions), so it fits on my shelf like the others. I think they know this, because I'm sure they know their fans want to collect all the seasons.

They could try special edition packaging for certain seasons. I know for Futurama they have a glow-in-the-dark edition of season 4, which I own.

It's pretty nice looking, plus the novelty of the X-ray into the characters is good too.

What I would love to see - once the show has finished and all the DVDs have been already released - is a special edition thing with all the DVDs in one package.

I know for (again) Futurama seasons 1-4 (when it got cancelled the first time) the released a special packaging with all the seasons in a container shaped like Bender's head.

Something similar for The Simpsons would be fantastic. Possibly something like a model of the Simpson Family on the iconic couch, with the DVDs inside it.

Or perhaps something where the DVDs are contained in a model of the two cooling towers of the SNPP.

Their main problem here is the sheer number of DVDs, so these would need to be enormous in order to accommodate over 30 seasons-plus worth of DVDs. Or they could do something like a "Season 1-5 Couch," followed by the release of the "Season 5-10 Couch," and so on. If they were to add the Simpson family to the couch design, they could be in different positions for each edition released. The whole thing, by the end, would probably cost like £1000 .

Or, they can go the other way,and do something where the all the DVDs come in a single box, and it's got a really simple design on it, a bit like what Futurama did for their full release of seasons 1-8.

When it comes to The Simpsons, they could do something where the package simply says "The Simpsons" in the centre, with the tops of the Simpson family's heads.

(Something a bit like this. Only better obviously):

Basically, there's a lot they can do with the packaging, but the bottom line is, there needs to be releases of ordinary editions for all the seasons before they can work backwards and make special edition boxes.

Speaking of ordinary releases, I quite like the the idea of the single character on the front. But, they are gonna run out of good characters to put on the front eventually, in which case, I would like to see the Simpson family on the front again. I also like to see artwork on the inside of the whole cast of characters, in a big group.

When it comes to the extras, and bonus features, the main thing I'm looking for is the episode commentary. It's a big part of these DVD sets for a lot of people. Seeing animatics and storyboards on the extras is good too, I've always been interested in their production process. Your idea of "Twitter Questions answered" is a good one, they could do a live event leading up to the DVD release, and then put the recording of it as a bonus feature.

I don't really care about free gifts with the DVDs. Maybe something like a plaque that comes with a limited edition thing with all the seasons' DVDs (like the couch thing I mentioned).

The animations in the menus aren't really important to me, so I don't mind them either way. I havent seen any of them beyond the season 8 box set's, so I can't really judge this one I'm afraid.

When it comes ot Blu-Ray releases, I've mentioned this bvefore, but I don't really care too much for this. I want them to concentrate on just getting the all DVDs out first, and then maybe the Blu-rays. A lot The Simpsons doesn't need ot be seen in that high a definition, because a lot of it was made before HD TV was a thing. Some of the HD era seasons might benefit, but the animation in them isn't as good as a whole, so maybe not.

The Simpsons Movie is really the only one that benefits from Blu-Ray. When they came to do the animation on that, they had money to burn. Despite being HD, in nearly all scenes, the animation is really smooth and fluid, with shadows on the characters and extremely detailed backgrounds. Plus the crowd images are incredible, nearly all the characters in them have been seen at some stage in the series.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Quote Originally Posted by Mícheál View Post
    In terms of the release, what they would want to do (and I'm completely up for this) is a big build up to the DVD releases, and some release dates would be nice (a bit like what they did for Season 18).

When it comes to the packaging, I don't like the shaped heads thing either (I have season 7 in this format. It annoys me way too much to see it sitting on my shelf). Clearly not a lot of people liked the shaped heads thing, because they dropped that idea fairly quickly. Personally I want to see something similar to the regular packaging they've done so far (i.e, roughly the same dimensions), so it fits on my shelf like the others. I think they know this, because I'm sure they know their fans want to collect all the seasons.

They could try special edition packaging for certain seasons. I know for Futurama they have a glow-in-the-dark edition of season 4, which I own.

It's pretty nice looking, plus the novelty of the X-ray into the characters is good too.

What I would love to see - once the show has finished and all the DVDs have been already released - is a special edition thing with all the DVDs in one package.

I know for (again) Futurama seasons 1-4 (when it got cancelled the first time) the released a special packaging with all the seasons in a container shaped like Bender's head.

Something similar for The Simpsons would be fantastic. Possibly something like a model of the Simpson Family on the iconic couch, with the DVDs inside it.

Or perhaps something where the DVDs are contained in a model of the two cooling towers of the SNPP.

Their main problem here is the sheer number of DVDs, so these would need to be enormous in order to accommodate over 30 seasons-plus worth of DVDs. Or they could do something like a "Season 1-5 Couch," followed by the release of the "Season 5-10 Couch," and so on. If they were to add the Simpson family to the couch design, they could be in different positions for each edition released. The whole thing, by the end, would probably cost like £1000 .

Or, they can go the other way,and do something where the all the DVDs come in a single box, and it's got a really simple design on it, a bit like what Futurama did for their full release of seasons 1-8.

When it comes to The Simpsons, they could do something where the package simply says "The Simpsons" in the centre, with the tops of the Simpson family's heads.

(Something a bit like this. Only better obviously):

Basically, there's a lot they can do with the packaging, but the bottom line is, there needs to be releases of ordinary editions for all the seasons before they can work backwards and make special edition boxes.

Speaking of ordinary releases, I quite like the the idea of the single character on the front. But, they are gonna run out of good characters to put on the front eventually, in which case, I would like to see the Simpson family on the front again. I also like to see artwork on the inside of the whole cast of characters, in a big group.

When it comes to the extras, and bonus features, the main thing I'm looking for is the episode commentary. It's a big part of these DVD sets for a lot of people. Seeing animatics and storyboards on the extras is good too, I've always been interested in their production process. Your idea of "Twitter Questions answered" is a good one, they could do a live event leading up to the DVD release, and then put the recording of it as a bonus feature.

I don't really care about free gifts with the DVDs. Maybe something like a plaque that comes with a limited edition thing with all the seasons' DVDs (like the couch thing I mentioned).

The animations in the menus aren't really important to me, so I don't mind them either way. I havent seen any of them beyond the season 8 box set's, so I can't really judge this one I'm afraid.

When it comes ot Blu-Ray releases, I've mentioned this bvefore, but I don't really care too much for this. I want them to concentrate on just getting the all DVDs out first, and then maybe the Blu-rays. A lot The Simpsons doesn't need ot be seen in that high a definition, because a lot of it was made before HD TV was a thing. Some of the HD era seasons might benefit, but the animation in them isn't as good as a whole, so maybe not.

The Simpsons Movie is really the only one that benefits from Blu-Ray. When they came to do the animation on that, they had money to burn. Despite being HD, in nearly all scenes, the animation is really smooth and fluid, with shadows on the characters and extremely detailed backgrounds. Plus the crowd images are incredible, nearly all the characters in them have been seen at some stage in the series.
    Yeah definitely, they would no doubt be a big build up and would probably be everywhere, it would probably bring a lot of fans back to the show too to buy this because they'll see that they never really watched all the later seasons and will also get all the classics too so there will be new things and things they love, of course they might not be as keen on the later seasons but they also might be a lot who will be pleasantly surprised cause as mentioned before they have got better in the more recent seasons yet so many people who fell off still say the show is what it was when they felt it dropped off, which I understand but it's a little like watch the new seasons then say that so they will discover this also with a huge big box set of the show once the show has wrapped up, however this could give them an opportunity to do that as they'll get to them as and when they've finished watching the one's they loved and bought the set for

Yeah those Futurama don't look too bad actually, do those plastic cases keep well though or do they split after a while, it all depends on how they're made cause I've seen DVD's like that where they've split a little however I don't think I have any like that so wouldn't know (will have to check), if the DVD's came in a special box like the Family Guy box set I mentioned does, that's all cool as long as the actual DVD's inside are the same side to go with the other DVD's on your shelf as most people will want them displayed. The Family Guy box set was good but the DVD's were in a very small case, I'll try find a pic though had they have had the DVD's like how you can take the one out of The Simpsons Movie limited edition it would have been spot on that Family Guy one, as that was the only let down. I'll see if I can find a pic

This is it here, it's a really nice package apart from the bit the holds the actual DVD's., it's a small square and it's longer than the original DVD boxes so it doesn't fit at all.

If they did a box set like that but with the actual regular sized DVD boxes inside it would be perfect, though I could imagine a big box thing where you open it up and get the regular DVD's out with a nice box and limited editions for the release to celebrate the whole series of The Simpsons, like the Monopoly figurines I mentioned, say a few of them with some of the characters on and a circular base with something written on the base saying that's celebrating the show as a final finish.

Like these but with a thicker base and some text engraved celebrating the whole 30 years (or whatever we have finished on) of the show.

These would look nice to go on a shelf, specially if they were significant to the show as a finale. I like the idea you mentioned of the couch too, that could be quite cool!

I agree with you completely about the release of the whole set as a regular format, this obviously would be the biggest selling point with the limited edition for the hardcore fans, sure it'd probably be quite pricey for us but would have to be so as long as they can cater for that and balance it, which I'm sure they will, they'd just need to know how many to do and I'm sure that once the limited editions become rarer they would be people paying crazy money for them so they'd no doubt sell as original sales from Fox or Disney and then later you'd find loads of people wanting to get them too, so it would always be profitable for the manufacturer.

Also, another thing I've just thought would be good was if so many of them had a HAND SIGNED POSTER from the cast, Rocko's Modern Life did this with Joe Murray and it turned out to be really popular. I didn't hear about it until after the release (it's a US only release) but when I saw it and all the people going on about it wanting it, I could see straight away it was a huge selling point for if they sign so many posters with these limited edition sets. There's a Youtube review here.

Yeah the Twitter questions is a good one cause we would all get the chance to be part of the history of it in some way, the live thing is a great idea as long as people are happy with that due to time zones (that said you'd make sure you got to it if you can anyway) but yeah, I think this could be pretty cool. You could get Matt, Al, Mike, Dan, Nancy, Harry, Hank, anyone who's been involved in the show at some point as long as they were happy to do it but it could be a great thing as an extra on the DVD's for sure, it would be awesome!

I do like the animations in the menu's to be honest, they just look nice when you put them in the DVD/Blu Ray player waiting for them to start. The Simpsons tend to have some great menu's on their DVD's where as I've seen some releases of other DVD's etc.. where the menu's just look so boring and generic, sure it's only the part where you start the show but I feel if they worked on this so well with the various characters it would be awesome!

I'm the same with the DVD's as priority over Blu Ray to be honest and like you say about the earlier seasons, they can be upscaled but part of the charm of the earlier seasons are how they are also so it could be give and take in regards to that. I suppose we have the option anyway as the DVD's will still be available as normal for anyone who doesn't want the earlier seasons upsclaed but yeah, I prefer the DVD thing as priority to be honest though Blu Ray would be awesome too so I'd get both. I have seen the odd comment from people saying they should just release them on Blu Ray now (which I don't agree with) but obviously people prefer that too so it's a balance really to please everyone

But yeah, I agree with you about the animation thing and The Simpsons Movie too

Either way, when the show has finished, we're going to have one awesome collection as long as they release this, which I'm sure they will, they may even end up releasing this before they catch up with the regular releases once the show has tied up.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They definitely will release a massive single collection once the show is over - the kind of collectors edition where you have to mortgage your house to afford it.

A poster with the collection seems like a good idea. I don't really like the idea of all of them being hand signed, because this would limit the production of the collection heavily - which is a little unfair to the fans who really just want the limited edition.

A better idea for the poster thing is that every single DVD set has one, but only 50 or so have a poster signed by Groening or the cast. The whole "I've got a golden ticket!" thing with the posters is another way to promote the release of such a collection.
    Last edited by Mícheál; 05-18-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Yeah, definitely ha, I hope so anyway, not so much the mortgage thing but the release anyway haha

Yeah, I think the Rocko one was the first 200 pre-orders, it all depends on how many they're willing to sign as they can often do these way in advance and in small periods getting loads done, it's like when artists release albums you can usually pre-order their CD's hand signed or at concerts when you buy VIP packages, the artists have usually sat and signed loads of photo's which they do in parts. The Simpsons could do this also and it would be a big pay day for them lol

Yeah, I could imagine Homer now dressed as Willy Wonka with the artwork haha, but yeah, either way, I think would be cool. At least if we can pre-order it with the signed poster we know we're getting it and we have the choice to pay for that too, as long as we can of course as there's certainty and no disappointment. I can imagine even if it was stated that it was a lucky dip kinda thing there would be fans complaining when they didn't get the signed poster lol

Usually a lot of these they do by pre-order, so they know how many need to be signed and manufactured, that way they're always in profit with no risk of them being unsold.

Either way, I really do hope they release a really good set, whether they add some limited editions or not I hope it does at least get a full set release once the show has tied up.

I really love reading your posts by the way, so thank you for always interacting

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Blog Entries

i just want Blu-ray releases of the old season that are truly remastered if thats even possible.

Yeah the Blu Ray's, I'd be down for that too, I'm not sure how well they could be mastered on the earlier seasons and I wouldn't want them to lose that magic they have by being mastered but having them on Blu Ray would be amazing too as I'd have the DVD's also so would keep both.

It's going to be an awesome collection once it's released, I can't wait for it! I hope whoever is behind the DVD releases at the time really go all out on it, there's no doubt it would sell like crazy a full collection of The Simpsons once the show has finished.

Thread Information