Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More series DVDs?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I just want that gap between 1-18 and 19 filled. As far as the dvd itself I just want the episodes and some good cover art.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    When American Dad Season 12 gets a DVD release in 2018, there's no reason why The Simpsons Season 19 cannot. Something like The Simpsons on MOD would easily outsell a lot of the shows still getting DVD releases via this method. But again, I think sales are strong enough to warrant a commercial release. That's why I'm so confused by FOX's handling of the series on home video.
    Definitely. I just think Fox are lazy to be honest, they knew when they released the season 18 DVD that it was going to sell and did sell due to the demand it had (hence them releasing it), they also know Al Jean is still pushing for this too for the releases for the fans. This is why I'm hoping the Disney take over does them justice which going by what Disney are doing with their other franchises they're putting money in to so many things all the time.

In 2019 we've got Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Dumbo, Lion King etc.. all coming, they're always pumping money into the Star Wars franchise, they're great to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarch Weather! View Post
    I just want that gap between 1-18 and 19 filled. As far as the dvd itself I just want the episodes and some good cover art.
    Yeah, I want the whole seasons to be honest and I hear you with the cover art, I like the different characters we get on the cover and on the side, although season 18 didn't have any side characters.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I don't know. I don't think the Disney deal will make things any better. Disney is weird with how they handle TV on DVD and blu-ray. A lot of their TV stuff from Disney Afternoon and The Muppet Show had the first few seasons release and then stall and never complete. Meanwhile stuff like Star Wars continues to see DVD and blu-ray releases for just about every show. The Marvel TV stuff too.

Meanwhile Warner has been releasing just about anything on their Warner Archive label (like nearly every Hannah-Barbera show has a DVD release, even the awful and obscure ones). FOX currently releases a ton of MOD DVDs too, as previously mentioned.

My only hope is that FOX and Disney reach out to a company like Shout Factory and have them handle the releases. Shout has handled stuff like Gravity Falls for Disney recently, and has a long history of releasing TV shows on DVD, from classic era stuff like Green Acres to 90s/00s stuff like the Transformers Beast Wars, Reboot and Power Rangers. Shout also released MadTV seasons on DVD, with the intent of releasing up to season 5, but stopped after season 3 due to poor sales. I think a label like that would love to release The Simpsons.
    UP AND ATOM!

Yeah, it's surprising about The Muppet Show as that is, no doubt, a popular series to buy I would imagine, although maybe they aren't selling as much as although The Muppets is huge, I'm not sure how the series goes down with the franchise however Star Wars and Marvel are absolutely set in stone sellers so I do feel that's also a sign that they do put out what the audience want, which as we know the demand for Simpsons DVD's were huge which is why even Fox of all people, released the 18th season, I guess we'll just have to see cause I have no idea and it's all just me guessing really.

Yeah, my Rocko's Modern Life I mentioned was Shout Factory, the only thing about that is I don't think Shout ever make anything outside of region one DVD's so it would only be the US and Canada (Canada are region one right?) who would benefit from this, the only reason I know of Shout is because of my Rocko's Modern Life complete series which I had to get on import then convert the discs onto some DVD-R's myself so they were region free and I could watch them (I've basically got the DVD's on the original I bought and having to play my copies when I want to watch the show), the Doug Mod I got Amazon did and even though this is advertised as region one it's actually region free is that so plays perfectly fine from the original discs which is awesome.

Whatever it takes really to get them released but I can't help but think if they do go the MOD way it's a little cheap, specially with a show like The Simpsons which is clearly massively popular, shows such as Doug and Rocko's Modern Life hadn't been around for a while so will only be a certain audience that will go for them where as The Simpsons is constant and still gaining popularity in places (specially as it's reached out to more countries worldwide now) as that's where Shout cater to the nostalgic audience with shows that mainly have their popularity through nostalgia (although Rocko's comeback special is being really well received so this could boost that to a whole new audience too once released).

The Hannah-Barbera stuff is still aired on TV a lot (in general) so keeps up that popularity with audiences new and old, plus the fact this is also a huge franchise I can understand why they would get released, The Simpsons even more so than that which I why I feel this whole stubbornness these companies have (or should I say Fox) is a bit silly really. They know they're in demand, they know fans want them released, they know they sell, they know Al Jean and co are pushing them to release them because of this and they know they're popular, so it's all a bit silly to me, that's why I say I can only put it down to cause they can't be bothered kinda thing (I mean they still want the show on their prime time viewing so that tells us everything about how popular the show is as they haven't replaced it with anything else still).

I dunno, either way I guess we all just want them released however it's done and all this is just guess work for me really as I don't really know, as I say I guess we'll just have to see

In "I Can't Believe THAT Is On DVD But The Simpsons Isn't" news: Survivor seasons 30, 31 and 32 are receiving not only DVD releases, but also blu-ray releases!

But no, Simpsons is to much a risk.

Oh yeah, it's silly really sometimes, I've heard of Survivor but I barely even know what it is (I couldn't tell you anything about it or what it's about), of course though to someone in the US it's probably a different story as it's no doubt well known over there.

One thing is when the show has wrapped up, I'm sure they will release a full seasons box set or something simply because the show is so iconic, but we could be waiting ages for that as the show is still going strong and we'd still be left with incomplete seasons from everything we've got so far.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    In "I Can't Believe THAT Is On DVD But The Simpsons Isn't" news: Survivor seasons 30, 31 and 32 are receiving not only DVD releases, but also blu-ray releases!

But no, Simpsons is to much a risk.
    Hard to believe Season 32 even merits a Blu-ray set. That was a season with nothing but endless med evacs and an unremarkable winner.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

I really want shout to take over the DVD releases for Simpsons and Bob's burgers. Both shows have a decent amount of extras to showcase, and it's clear the directors feel the same way.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

I don't think Shout ever bother with extra's though do they? I've only got the Rocko's Modern Life one on import but I'm sure there's no extra's on them, I think Shout just concentrate on doing the menu's and episodes and that's it?

Shout will do extras in certain cases. Their Power Rangers, MST3K, Gravity Falls and many of their Shout Select line of movies all have new extras.

I think it comes down to the budget their are given to produce the DVD, and how willing the rights holders are to make new content.

Yeah, as I say, I only know of them from my Rocko's Modern Life release but I don't think there's any extras, Amazon did the Doug one but again, no extra's although great menu's and footage though on both

Demand Simpsons Season 19 et al DVD Releases :-)

Just e-mailed Fox. I really hope they resume releasing the remaining seasons.

That's awesome, the more mails they get the better, so they at least know the demand. Hopefully they'll give us an update at least.

Family Guy is not only getting new season releases, but also a 20 episode "best of" collection on 3 discs with (I assume) ported over extras:
    https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07KLFM6B2/

I wonder if Fox had this planned for a while, Family Guy goes with the Disney deal too doesn't it? Hmmmm, if only they would just give us some information, I'd much rather a statement saying "We are no longer releasing the DVD's due to the Disney takeover" (or whatever) rather than just leaving us guessing all the time, specially after the season 19 release.

The only reasons I can think of why they aren't saying something is either they can't be bothered and they know with that they're just going to get inundated with petitions and emails again just like they did for the season 19 release or they have something coming (which I'm not so sure about) and they're just not telling us until they have news of a release.

My guess is the first option to be honest, they already know if they say "Oh we have no plans to release any more DVD's" that they're going to get backlash again which just goes to show how silly it is for them to not release them when they know the demand is there.

If Season 19 ever comes out, it will have Milhouse on the cover. The menus on the other hand...

Hopefully it will once the Disney merge has gone ahead, I saw Al Jean tweet something about how they're waiting for the Disney merge with them.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In slightly unrelated news, Samsung just announced they're no longer selling 4k or Blu ray players in the US. Being one the largest Blu ray player manufactures in the world, it's a troubling sign the odds of another season of the Simpsons on DVD might be less than we think.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

This could be just a Samsung thing @Patches O'houlihan, they're probably concentrating more so on other products as I doubt they're competing with Sony, LG etc... so that's probably why. A lot of consoles also have all this built in and with the 4K thing will no doubt cross over to the latest consoles, such as the Playstation 5 etc...

When you've got so many established companies such as Sony, LG etc... selling Blu Ray players it's hard for anyone else to come in and sell alongside them too while being profitable, it's probably a case of that I reckon

I've seen some of the reports about saying Blu Ray is dead etc... but they always exaggerate, I guess we'll have to see but I don't think physical media will die out just yet, there's no doubt this streaming thing has become a thing physical media still has a huge market, look at how vinyl has come back and even being sold in grocery stores again which is very significant to how people don't want physical media to go.

I do like the idea of streaming in general but it's starting to become a pain in the ass when it's affecting other things, it's lazy but convenient however with streaming you're not really buying anything as such, downloaded items can easily be lost and hard to replace (even when a physical item is deleted you can still buy them on eBay, Amazon etc.. where as lose a download and it's no longer in the store, it's gone), stability of streams can depend on things too it's great in a lot of ways but not in many others either.

It's like when I buy an MP3 for example, I don't really feel like I've bought anything as opposed to say if you buy an actual CD or vinyl etc... and that's where this whole streaming thing is becoming a bit much but I get it, it's convenient and it's how we've evolved so will have to see really.

I don't think physical media will be gone for a while though so hopefully The Simpsons DVD's will get released before it's too late, another reason Fox or Disney need to get on to this, it's so annoying and frustrating.

EDIT: I've just read more on this and yeah it's disappointing and Samsung were actually leading the sales in players (I thought it was Sony/LG etc..), I guess we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by Welcome to Moe's; 02-27-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Actually, I probably have season 19 on DVD somewhere - ones I made myself from the original Fox airings on my DVD recorder, mind you...

Still, you can make your own - Blu-Rays, if you prefer. All you need to do is:
    (a) Hook up your Hauppauge box (you do have one of those, right?) to your Roku box (you do have one of those as well, right? - if you have a Roku stick, you will need a TV with a video output)
    (b) Connect to the FXNOW Roku app
    (c) Play "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs" with the Hauppauge capture app running
    (d) Play each of the remaining Season 19 episodes, through "All About Lisa," and capture each of them as well
    (e) Build your discs using your disc creating software, creating title screens and menus as well (you do have disc creating software, right? - I use something from Pegasys/Tsunami, then use Nero to actually burn the image onto the disc - and you have a DVD or Blu-Ray burner on your computer as well, right?)
    Easy, yes?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post

It's like when I buy an MP3 for example, I don't really feel like I've bought anything as opposed to say if you buy an actual CD or vinyl etc... and that's where this whole streaming thing is becoming a bit much but I get it, it's convenient and it's how we've evolved so will have to see really.
    I read something that the revenue for Streaming/downloads vs DVD/Blu Ray/4k discs was around $15 billion vs $4 billion in 2018 and that's a 17 percent drop in physical media sales from 2017.

IMO, it feels like Fox is dragging their feet releasing any more DVDs in hopes people just give up and get FX now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    I read something that the revenue for Streaming/downloads vs DVD/Blu Ray/4k discs was around $15 billion vs $4 billion in 2018 and that's a 17 percent drop in physical media sales from 2017.

IMO, it feels like Fox is dragging their feet releasing any more DVDs in hopes people just give up and get FX now.
    Yeah, I read up after your post more about it and saw, I guess we'll just have to see though I do feel that they will be around a while and the market is still big enough for them to be released, the franchise is too big and too much money to be made within The Simpsons franchise for them to not release them, specially once the series is complete but I guess we'll have to see

Also, just to add Al Jean responded to this about the next DVD being released and said they were waiting for the merge which is why they were delayed and nothing from Fox due to this, so hopefully Disney will go all out with it.

Disney can still afford to do it while making a big enough profit so hopefully they'll sort it out as Fox haven't been that great really, even before this.
    Last edited by Welcome to Moe's; 02-28-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Actually, I probably have season 19 on DVD somewhere - ones I made myself from the original Fox airings on my DVD recorder, mind you...

Still, you can make your own - Blu-Rays, if you prefer. All you need to do is:
    (a) Hook up your Hauppauge box (you do have one of those, right?) to your Roku box (you do have one of those as well, right? - if you have a Roku stick, you will need a TV with a video output)
    (b) Connect to the FXNOW Roku app
    (c) Play "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs" with the Hauppauge capture app running
    (d) Play each of the remaining Season 19 episodes, through "All About Lisa," and capture each of them as well
    (e) Build your discs using your disc creating software, creating title screens and menus as well (you do have disc creating software, right? - I use something from Pegasys/Tsunami, then use Nero to actually burn the image onto the disc - and you have a DVD or Blu-Ray burner on your computer as well, right?)
    Easy, yes?
    I've made a cheap homemade one years ago, with poor quality. I could try again, but I mean even then you need that "official" feeling you know.

I've made a cheap homemade one years ago, with poor quality. I could try again, but I mean even then you need that "official" feeling you know.
    Yeah, I agree with this, you can't beat the official releases

Thread Information