Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More series DVDs?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Yeah, as mentioned before I'm not a fan of this whole watching online things, I prefer to have the DVD's and to watch them on my TV with the DVD's. Plus no doubt these services will at some point stop where as with the DVD's, you've always got them and they're yours.

Still no news from Fox yet in regards to a season 19 release, I hope they update us with something soon.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I asked Al about future albums at an AV Club Q&A event, and he gave a similar answer. I didn't have the mic for a followup, but I really wanted to note that digital streaming albums are a thing and that he shouldn't get hung up on the physical aspect of the album thing. Just recently, I've seen CDs for The X-Files Season 10 and Arrested Development Seasons 1-4, both FOX properties getting soundtrack releases. So I don't really buy it. Maybe with the firing of Alf Clausen, they don't want to give him more money?

Also, I believe manufacture on demand albums are a thing.

As for season 19, I hope it happens! Season 18 was announced in July and released in December, so 19's potential announcement is still a little ways off.
    UP AND ATOM!

Yeah, it's hard to say really cause it depends on who it comes down to. If it's Fox then I can understand that cause they do seem to be pretty tight knitted on The Simpsons when it comes to rights, I mean, I don't mean this in a bad way but it seems like sometimes anyone outside the US don't matter to Fox or they put as second priority because so many things are restricted for international fans simply because they can't be bothered to make these things available to a worldwide audience. All it takes is content agreement, like PRS to sort these things out and that's it, even with things like Youtube this can all be done now which is why it's more flexible for people adding music to their video's because it's monetised by a simple PRS arrangement.

I know that the actual team on The Simpsons get very frustrated about this because they try so hard to make sure that their international fans get things just as much as the US fans do but it's the battle with Fox in regards to that. I know this from when they did the Homer Live thing and it messed up in the UK, Al and the team were trying really hard at the time it was going on to sort it out and they felt so bad that they couldn't do it afterwards. They also pushed Fox time and time again, along with the fans, for the DVD releases which affected the US and international fans.

This is why I think Disney may actually be a good thing as Fox do seem to make things very difficult at times and it really does seem to be down to pure laziness or just that they don't need to do it.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Hope all the seasons are released on DVD. Really want those rare enjoyable new episodes on DVD with commentary. Like Holidays of Future Passed (though this is on the bluray of season 16 or 17?) and Halloween of Horror etc.
    Will they release the HD seasons on bluray do we think?

Also, so I don't have to start a thread to ask this: Do the season 13 on wards blurays not have the same DVD cardboard artwork containers that the DVDs do?

FOX and FX have really been dropping the ball on blu-ray releases for their shows (Fargo, Archer, Always Sunny, Family Guy). Though I do not know how the Disney deal will affect home video if it goes through.

It's kinda confusing cause are Fox going to not bother with it now with Disney taking over or are they still going to release the previous episodes before Disney bought this on DVD? I mean, we don't even know if Disney bought the rights to The Simpsons and their products from now or if they have bought the whole back catalogue with it too. If they bought the back catalogue then it'll be down to Disney to release it I guess and Fox haven't given us any updates still in regards to a season 19 release.

I hope Disney can do a bit more of a better job with this but will see, it would have been nice for Fox to at least give us a little update as they know how much fans wanted this.

Worst User Ever

I hope they release Seasons 19 and 21 on DVD! Too bad that Simpsons World don't works outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamed Mr Bergstrom View Post
    It's kinda confusing cause are Fox going to not bother with it now with Disney taking over or are they still going to release the previous episodes before Disney bought this on DVD? I mean, we don't even know if Disney bought the rights to The Simpsons and their products from now or if they have bought the whole back catalogue with it too. If they bought the back catalogue then it'll be down to Disney to release it I guess and Fox haven't given us any updates still in regards to a season 19 release.

I hope Disney can do a bit more of a better job with this but will see, it would have been nice for Fox to at least give us a little update as they know how much fans wanted this.
    Until the merger is confirmed, it is business as usual at FOX (just look at the X-Men movies they still have planned). So I am cautiously optimistic on season 19. It's still early for a season 19 announcement, given season 18's DVD was announced towards the end of July with a December release.

Hard to say what will happen to Fox Home Entertainment. I mean, they could continue to operate given the vast size of their catalog. I cannot see Disney closing all of the Fox operations and taking it all on under the Disney banner. Disney themselves suck at DVD releases, just look at how many shows stopped getting blu-rays and how Disney abandoned The Muppet Show and the Disney Afternoon releases mid-series.

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

If they released season 18 on DVD, could it also be released on blu-ray? Also, it’s good that they are now doing more DVD releases, but I usually don’t go for them, but once they do season 19 on DVD/Blu-Ray, they won’t need to do more because 20 seasons is enough for DVD.
    Favorite/least favorite by season (not counting clip shows)
    Season 1: Life on the Fast Lane/Some Enchanted Evening Season 2: Bart the Daredevil/Old Money Season 3: Bart the Lover/Dog of Death Season 4: Last Exit to Springfield/Marge in Chains Season 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets an Elephant Season 6: Homer the Great/Fear of Flying Season 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza Season 8: You Only Move Twice/Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(D’oh)cious Season 9: The City of New York Vs Homer Simpson/Lisa the Skeptic Season 10: Lisa Gets an A/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble Season 11: Behind the Laughter/It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge Season 12: Trilogy of Error/Homer Vs Dignity Season 13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game Season 14: Moe Baby Blues/Barting Over Season 15: Simple Simpson/Bart-Mangled Banner Season 16: Don’t Fear the Roofer/On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Bonfire of the Manatees Season 18: 24 Minutes/The Boys of Bummer Season 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/That 90’s Show Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone/In the Name of the Grandfather Season 21: The Bob Next Door/The Greatest Story Ever D’ohed Season 22: Angry Dad: The Movie/Elementary School Musical Season 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Lisa Goes Gaga Season 24: I haven’t seen this season Season 25: Brick Like Me/Days of Future Future Season 26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell to Earth Season 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream Season 28: 22 For 30/Kamp Krustier Season 29: Gone Boy/The Old Blue Mayor She Ain’t What She Used to Be Season 30: TBD when 11 episodes have aired/TBD when 11 episodes have aired

Why is 20 seasons enough for DVD? I'd want to continue them until all the seasons are released and I'm sure many others would too considering the demand for them with season 18. Blu Ray has really done well over the years but DVD is still very strong and probably still sells more than Blu Ray format (debatable, but from what I can gather most people still buy DVD's where only so many are on the Blu Ray thing), either way I hope they do release them on DVD as I don't want half a collection on DVD without being able to get the rest.

Maybe they didn't re-issue the previous seasons on Blu Ray cause they didn't feel the turn over would be worth it for them and they probably waited for the HD seasons for this, when the show is done it would be good to have the whole seasons on DVD and Blu Ray then people can buy a big set then with the whole collection of The Simpsons.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

What I meant to say was that it’s gonna take too long to have all the seasons out on DVD unless they do multiple a year considering the fact that the simpsons might go on for even longer than 30 seasons, and there may be less demand for the later seasons except from the really hardcore fans. Although about five episodes from the seasons currently unreleased on DVD are really good so maybe they should continue releasing them...
    Oh and also, there’s other ways for them to release the commentary and other special features that would normally only be on the DVD, such as Simpsons World if that’s still around.

I see, well either way whichever format they are releasing on they'll probably do it at the same time anyway so we'll always have that unless they decide to put a few out at some point. That's the thing when they stopped releasing the DVD's that it delayed this too when they were already quite a few seasons behind the current one's, DVD will always be the preferred format though for sales at the moment anyway as people have more devices that play DVD than they do Blu Ray, for example TV's with DVD players built in or DVD players in general which they've had over the years where as Blu Ray, it's only people who have bought Blu Ray players or have a Playstation or something that buy Blu Ray's so DVD will probably be the priority format at the moment until we get to a point where all DVD players people have play Blu Ray as well.

Simpsons World I think is still around but if you're outside of the US it's pointless, we can't access Simpsons World or even The Simpsons website as it's not available to us, we got a prompt saying "Not available in your region" so it's very limited, I get that The Simpsons is a US show and I have no problem with them putting US as priority for their show, I think that's rightly so though I know a lot of people have felt that the fans outside of the US have been second best and that's not anything to do with The Simpsons cast and writers etc... as they push to get things so much to their fans all over, which they want to do also but it's more so a Fox thing. That said, I'm not keen on the whole online thing anyway as it doesn't feel like you're buying anything, when you get an actual DVD or Blu Ray not only do you get all the artwork and box etc.. you can kindly display but you also get to keep them continuously, these online services can stop at any time and they probably will so then we no longer have the episodes we've bought or if we lose the files, we can't get them back again as they'll no longer be available, at least with a DVD or Blu Ray you can always get another if you need to, even when they're out of production and you can also keep them no matter what without the worry of someone else making them no longer available.

I like the DVD's as they are and the Blu Ray's too I would also buy, I only have The Simpsons Movie on Blu Ray as that's all that's available in our region but it looks fantastic!

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Al Jean are always conscious of their fans outside the US, so it's why they're looking to get DVDs released again.

I don't mind whether we get Blu-Rays or not, so long as all the seasons get released on DVD at some stage.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Yeah, it's definitely DVD more important for me as I have all the other seasons on DVD so want to complete them, don't really want half of them on DVD and half on Blu Ray although if Blu Ray are released I will probably get some also as although it took me a while to take notice Blu Ray quality is fantastic and you do really notice a huge difference. The Simpsons Movie looked so good and vibrant on Blu Ray it was well impressive

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must see The Simpsons Movie in Blu-Ray someday actually. It's got some incredible animation in it.

Yeah definitely, honestly you can pick it up on eBay for about Ł2 something with free postage, not sure what it would be in Euro but I'm sure it'll be about the same anyway, it's really impressive.

I didn't think I'd see much difference to be honest but you really do, I was well impressed.

It’s been at least 10 years since there was an album of songs from The Simpsons. Will you release another one?

Well, the problem is that there aren’t any albums period released. We might, but it was hard enough to get a Season 18 DVD released. My biggest intent is to concentrate on getting a Season 19 DVD out.
    This interview was from February.

I guess FOX/the Disney merger is really making it hard to release the DVD this year (we would have an announcement ages ago by now!)

Hopefully we get the release next year.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

They're just a pain are Fox, they restrict everything outside the US, they go back and forth on the DVD releases and take these away from their US audience too, as well as the international fans, they give no updates, leave fans wondering when they know how much they're in demand and wanted by fans and they are slow at releasing them in general anyway. I really hope Disney do a much better job than Fox as Disney do seem to be a lot better with their franchises so I look forward to them taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post

What we do know is that once the Fox purchase is complete, The Simpsons and other Fox properties will fully be owned by Disney. The broadcast network will continue to function under the "New Fox" leadership and any existing deals, orders and shows will be honored and thus, will continue to air. It is up to them whether they want to renew or cancel the series. As for physical and digital releases, they will be carried out by Disney going forward, similar to how 20th Television continues to release American Dad! on iTunes despite it having moved to TBS.

Oh great, I didn't know about that and did wonder so thank you for kindly filling me in there. So even though the seasons that are yet to be released (19, 20 etc..) were under Fox at the time of being created and aired Disney can still take over this and release them as they take ownership of that, is that right?

I was concerned if it was going to be a problem with the back catalogue or not as if Disney took the deal going forwards but didn't own the back catalogue etc... (I know season 20 was released on DVD but it's kind of not an official release as such, we have to get it on import here in the UK) but obviously Fox haven't followed up with another release as we'd know by now, looks like we're in the same boat of banging our heads against a wall again to get Fox to release the DVD's (which they sold well so it just seems silly to me).

The sooner Disney fully take over the better to be honest and hopefully they'll pick up where Fox left off and do a much better job.

Al Jean did recently say to someone "Not this year" and also how they are still trying to get it approved.

As I say, hopefully Disney will be much better than Fox but will have to see.

PS Had to do screen grabs here, not sure why the tweets don't embed in this section of the forum unless a mod can fix this? @Dark Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    Oh great, I didn't know about that and did wonder so thank you for kindly filling me in there. So even though the seasons that are yet to be released (19, 20 etc..) were under Fox at the time of being created and aired Disney can still take over this and release them as they take ownership of that, is that right?

I was concerned if it was going to be a problem with the back catalogue or not as if Disney took the deal going forwards but didn't own the back catalogue etc... (I know season 20 was released on DVD but it's kind of not an official release as such, we have to get it on import here in the UK) but obviously Fox haven't followed up with another release as we'd know by now, looks like we're in the same boat of banging our heads against a wall again to get Fox to release the DVD's (which they sold well so it just seems silly to me).

The sooner Disney fully take over the better to be honest and hopefully they'll pick up where Fox left off and do a much better job.
    You are right. I don't know how often Disney releases DVDs of their ABC and Freeform shows, but given their scale, I think it's a lot easier than Fox's. As for renewing the show, I believe we're in a better position than ever because if "New Fox" decides not to renew, Disney can simply shop it up to a different network, on their existing ones or even on their streaming service (Disney Play, Hulu). It's a win.

Yeah, chances are Fox will want to keep it on their platform but with the rights owned by Disney as obviously The Simpsons are a big attraction for Fox hence them always wanting to renew the series each year and always having it on prime time TV (which is what I mean when people say "No one watches The Simpsons anymore" or when they say it's not good now because clearly they do otherwise another, more popular show would have replaced this a long time ago) but yeah, hopefully Disney do a better job with all this anyway cause Fox haven't been great to be honest.

Even more so for their international fans as everything is restricted outside the US too, let alone how slow they are for the DVD releases for the US audience and international.

I'll say it again, even the lowest selling seasons are high sales numbers for TV on DVD in relation to other series. As an old TVShowsOnDVD.com article stated, they queried other DVD publishers about the season 17 DVD numbers and the publishers said they wished they had numbers that high for their releases.

I really do think that if they brought the costs down on packaging and animated menus, and perhaps shifted to MOD DVD like other FOX animated shows have, they would do gangbusters. Worth noting that in some cases, manufacture on demand DVD will release professionally pressed discs and not just DVD-Rs if pre-orders are large enough – which is a threshold I think Simpsons could reach.

100%, the show just gets so much stick cause it's been around so long that's all, probably any show that's been around almost 30 years people will say these things but it's still one of the greatest shows on TV in my opinion and they're definitely pulling in the viewers still otherwise it wouldn't be on prime time TV.

About the packaging and menu's, I hear you and I don't really disagree as I see where you're coming from but for me personally, I'd rather they didn't, I mean, it's not like they can't afford it and they are still profiting from this anyway, it would look a bit odd having a collection with so many great made DVD's then the rest being very average it probably wouldn't look good on them. The menu's are probably a small thing as they're just a model done once then copied to all the discs which probably don't take that long to do really for the designers there but I do get what you're saying completely

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I really do think that if they brought the costs down on packaging and animated menus, and perhaps shifted to MOD DVD like other FOX animated shows have, they would do gangbusters. Worth noting that in some cases, manufacture on demand DVD will release professionally pressed discs and not just DVD-Rs if pre-orders are large enough – which is a threshold I think Simpsons could reach.
    The problem with MOD discs is, how many of the existing ones are more than "bare bones" releases with no extras? I am under the impression that, for example, American Dad! no longer includes things like deleted scenes.

Yeah, I've not purchased many MOD DVD's apart from a couple of releases in the US, I got the Doug Complete Nickelodeon Series which Amazon did and is a great DVD and well put together with menu's, artwork etc... but there's no extra's. Same with the Rocko's Modern Life Complete Series too which is also a US import, this one was done by Shout Factory which I believe is also a MOD DVD? Again, no extra's.

The Rocko's Modern Life one is locked to region one so I had to copy the discs after I bought them and put them on to region free discs so I could play them where as the Doug one, although it's advertised as region one, it's actually region free and plays worldwide anyway.

This is the Doug one, they're nice DVD's though and don't even look like DVD-R's, mine doesn't even have the shiny purple DVD-R look like this review shows, they look just like regular DVD's,though look at the quality of the discs and artwork here too.

I'd take a bare bones release for seasons 20+ to no release at all, but of course I'd prefer extras like deleted scenes and commercials. To be honest, I can do without the commentary tracks now. After 18 seasons they have gotten stale.

Yeah, having them released is the primary thing really ain't it? I do like the commentaries but I have so much to catch up on with them, which I hope to do some day but it's usually something I've forgotton about and when I do put them on I put them on to watch The Simpsons. I went through the first few seasons of listening to the commentary though and really enjoyed it and want to continue to do the rest too but I hear ya.

Thing is, the franchise whether it's Disney or Fox do have enough money to manufacture them as they always have and they still sell for a profit when they're released, they're not ever out of pocket so hopefully they will continue but they really need to catch up too because they're so slow at releasing them and they end up too far behind.

Season 18 is only just released about a year ago and we're on season 30 now, the first DVD was released in 2001.

When American Dad Season 12 gets a DVD release in 2018, there's no reason why The Simpsons Season 19 cannot. Something like The Simpsons on MOD would easily outsell a lot of the shows still getting DVD releases via this method. But again, I think sales are strong enough to warrant a commercial release. That's why I'm so confused by FOX's handling of the series on home video.

Thread Information