Thread: A couple of questions about the season 20 DVD?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

A couple of questions about the season 20 DVD?

I've been thinking about getting this for a while but I'm a little unsure cause I want the proper DVD's as they are released with the set, you know like the previous 1 - 18 DVD's that go together where as the Season 20 DVD seems completely different to those, plus if they do continue to release the DVD's, they'll probably release season 20 like the rest of the series fingers crossed, however I was wondering a few things about this from anyone who has this here?

1. Are there any extra's on this DVD, from what I can gather there isn't and it's pretty basic.
    2. What are the menu's like, are they anything like the previous DVD releases?

I think the packaging is lovely though so I am quite tempted but I have held off of getting it as I've felt like without the other seasons in between it's a bit fragmented.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

1. No extras, not even that weird Morgan Spurlock documentary made for the 20th anniversary.
    2. Basic menus with the Simpsons theme playing over video of Matt drawing the characters, but done in that method that sportscasters use to draw on the screen (the animators use this tech with their illustrated commentaries on past DVD releases).

Don't buy it. Wait to see if season 19 and 20 DVDs happen.
    UP AND ATOM!

Thanks, yeah hopefully they'll release it properly then. I do wonder what will happen with the DVD's with Disney taking over, if Fox will still own the previous seasons and be able to release them or if Disney are taking the whole back catalogue too.

It all depends on the Disney deal, they could have just taken over the franchise for future releases and licencing or they could have bought the whole back catalogue too.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

There is a lot of unknowns with the FOX deal. Disney already has a home entertainment label, so will they close FOX Home Entertainment and handle releases moving forward? Or is the FOX back catalog, and potential future titles, so great that they will keep FOX Home Entertainment around? Disney cares so little about DVD releases for TV shows, look at their mishandling of Disney Afternoon, Muppets and countless TV shows, that it is hard to say if The Simpsons DVDs will continue under Disney.

Yeah, I think the DVD's will continue simply because fan demand is just too big, which is a good thing lol. I mean, Fox were adamant to not release the DVD's again but because of so much demand it made sense and was easier for them to do so, as well as get more profit, otherwise they would have just had fans doing their head in until they did lol

I know too that the team behind The Simpsons are very passionate about getting these DVD's out for the fans as they really pushed for these to be released, I think they were just as frsutrataed as the fans were cause they want the fans to be able to have them in their collection too, it took a lot of work for them to be able to get it done though when the show is done I'm sure there will be a huge box set release or something with all the seasons (hopefully this won't be any fancy packaging type thing and just something that will sit nicely on the shelves with the rest of the DVD's that people have) though hopefully they'll continue the seasons anyway, will have to see

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I have the "Blu-Ray" version, but, IIRC, the switchover from 4:3 to widescreen in the middle of Season 20, and the 4:3 episodes are in SD on DVDs while the widescreen episodes are in HD on Blu-Ray discs.

AFAIK, there is no Blu-Ray version of Season 18,, and Fox has no problems with releasing widescreen episodes of Family Guy on DVD only, so I wouldn't be surprised if all subsequent seasons are on DVD only - at least until/unless something else (e.g. an SD-card-based system) comes along to replace it, the way DVDs replaced VHS tapes.

Thread Information