• Ain't No Mountain High Enough

3 50.00%
  • (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher

3 50.00%

Thread: "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" vs "Higher and Higher"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" vs "Higher and Higher"

(Inspired by @c l o n e's "The Twist" vs "Let's Twist Again" thread from awhile back.)

Here's the two songs.

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

"(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson

Always associated these two together in my head as such sweet and feel-good R&B songs from the late '60s. Having "high" in both titles always kinda linked them together for me.

This is one of those I really go back and forth on which is better. I kinda prefer Jackie Wilson's vocals in his track, just so much energy and performance to it... A little warbly at tunes, but I love how high and low it gets and how he hits that falsetto toward the end. There is no arguing against a Marvin Gaye performance ever, but "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" feels slightly more manufactured in comparison. Maybe it's just because it's a duet and they gotta play off of each other. I think I prefer the chorus of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", though. It hits a much bigger moment and has the strings and stuff. It feels a little cornier than the other track, however, as a whole. But damn is that a feel-good melody.

Kinda leaning toward "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" but it's super close for me. What say you, NHC?

Blog Entries

first thing I thought of, although "ain't no mountain high enough" isn't actually playing in this scene, does play in one of the scenes though
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

voting for Jackie Wilson though after quickly listening to both, like you said it has more energy. nothing wrong with "ain't no mountain high enough", but I prefer the energy in Wilson's song.

a couple of years ago, I sent zach and kaos pm's cuz they hadn't been on for a few days (presence was wavering a bit) and one got jackie wilson and the other got tammi terrell and marvin gaye. zach sent me a pm after that was like "huh?" good times

(also while digging thru my pm's, which I haven't done in a while, I found dobbie's infamous jims fanfiction post. remember that dobbie?)

Blog Entries

I feel like the more contained "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" appeals to me the most. The song is sugary but the lovely duet has more than enough chemistry for it to soar and keep the song's message sounding completely authentic. Then there's the fact that the song has more of a story to it which adds even more depth and heart to the songwriting, and kind of makes me think of it as a grand, multi-layered cake when you look at it as a whole.

Blog Entries

Ain't No Mountain High Enough has a bit of a nostalgic feel for me. We're playing it in our Marching Band, as well. Both songs are fantastic, but it seems as if the first one has more of a connection to me.

I prefer Mountain. If it was any pairing other than Gaye and Terrell, I'm not sure I would have. I might be letting the course of history cloud my pick there considering what happened to the duo. It gives the song a little more meaning for me. Wilson's song is great, too, and his performance of it is stunning but just by nature of knowing Gaye + Terrell more probably is what makes me go with Mountain easier.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Thread Information