Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHC Summer Video Game Music Showdown (RESULTS!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

2017 NHC Summer Video Game Music Showdown (RESULTS!)

About a week later than I was expecting and the lowest turnout we've had for it but at least it didn't die. Round 1-A of the 2017 Summer Video Game Music Showdown starts here!

Here's a list of our competitors:
    1. @Shaunbadia
    2. @kupomog
    3. @Smiling Politely
    4. @tormented
    5. @NHC's Resident Bart (DISQUALIFIED! FAILED TO SUBMIT TRACKS!)
    6. @justin
    7. @1010011010
    8. @Sam
    9. @pax
    10. @deadname

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Time Trax - “Title Theme”
    vs.
    Jinx - “Hub World”

Match #2
    Evergrace - “Buying Goods at Palmira”
    vs.
    Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1”

Match #3
    Turrican II - “The Wall”
    vs.
    Sonic Heroes - “Mystic Mansion”

Match #4
    Umineko When They Cry - “Rhythm Changer”
    vs.
    Resident Evil Outbreak - “Happy Hour Jam Session”

Match #5
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts - “Main Theme”
    vs.
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - “Zephyr”

Match #6
    The Sims - “Neighbourhood 5”
    vs.
    Bravely Default - “Infiltrating Enemy Territory”

Match #7
    Road Rash - “Pacific Highway”
    vs.
    Night in the Woods - “Die Anywhere Else”

Match #8
    Pathologic - “Termitnik”
    vs.
    Never Alone - “Arena Battle”

Voting for this round ends in 3 days (Sunday, August 20th) at approximately 8:50 p.m, London time. Best of luck to you all!
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

You don't have to shout about it, dude. Sorry I couldn't get these in on time because of personal junk going on. I'll make it up to you.

Blog Entries

@NHC's Resident Bart don't take it personally. Disqualifications are always made note of when the showdown starts. You're not the first to get such a notice next to your name.

Match #1
    Jinx - “Hub World”
    Time Trax title theme is a pretty cool chiptune and yay Follin. I like that driving repetitive electronic beat, though I think I wish the lead synth was a little stronger. Gotta say, with a game that has a cover like Jinx, I wouldn't have expected such a pleasant piece of music coming from it. Both tracks are types of VGM I tend to flock towards. Enjoying the instrumentation in it and the lighthearted atmosphere it seems to paint. As a whole piece, maybe Time Trax's title feels a little more substantial but I think I'll be going with Hub World just due to the surprise.

Match #2
    I'm not sure how a mess of a song that sounds like it's out of time or all the players are drunk manages to capture my enjoyment so much but it does. Once the more "normal" part of the track gets going, I'm pretty into it and it becomes melodic rather than frantic as all fuck. I like the pounding of the percussion in the background. I can assume this is either a shop theme or a small area theme and if it's a bustling (crazy ass) market, totally makes sense. But Pizza Dude o m g w a t is this? Those models! I wanna play this. Another driving electronic beat, nice. Was hoping it would build up to a little more though, it's a bit samey all through. Going with weird ass Evergrace song.

Match #3
    Turricane II - “The Wall”
    lol I almost submitted The Wall. Got some bias to work through here. It's just a sick ass Amiga theme. I like the instrumentation, that roughish chip sound and the way the opening riffs sound almost like they're reverbing a little. But my, this Sonic theme doesn't suck, wow. It definitely fits the title of sound mystic and strange and sounds as if there's a cool dance party going on, too. Vaguely reminds me of the original Mystic Cave them from OG Sonic games. And then it just kind of abruptly ends which is a shame. Going with The Wall.

Match #4
    Rhythm Changer is on acid and all over the place. And then it sounds like it's totally competent and skillful...sorta like drunk Peter Griffin playing piano maybe. It's so weird but the longer you listen, it all falls in place and works. Sounds so disjointed most of the way through but I don't even mind with that neat piano section. Jam Session has a very fitting title. Nice to hear a relatively cheerful piece in a Resident Evil soundtrack. Not a whole much to it but it's a decent track. Going with the weird techno mess.

Match #5
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - “Zephyr”
    Wow never heard this GnG theme before. Only ever touched the NES, Genesis, and SNES releases in this series. This makes GnG sound like a nicer and more forgiving game than it tends to be. Another Follin track, too. Dig the medieval feel. Holy shit Zephyr started and that sound effect made me think of the Thunder Plains track for FFX-2. I...wonder if that track sampled this track's sound? Because some people in the comments of TP track are mentioning Spyro, too, dang. Anyway that little similarity aside, this is a good track. Don't have a whole lot to say but going with Spyro.

Match #6
    Yay The Sims. This likely isn't my favorite Neighborhood track but it's just as pleasant and loungey as the rest with that Latin feel. Have this come on the radio in your home and watch your Sims have a small gathering and dance to it and it's all perfect. It gets a little boring before the vocals come in but is otherwise genuinely cheerful. Bravely Default theme does have this chill almost MGS like infiltration section at first with that string seeping in. Then the string comes in full force with that heroic aura, really like that part. Can't shake the whistling and easy listening of The Sims track.

Match #7
    That opening riff for Pacific Highway reminds me of some fighting game soundtracks out there. Goes from relatively cruisin' to trashin'. Those drums wow. I think I like the lighter parts of the track more. The Night in the Woods track seems so cheerful for something with "Die" in the title. I'm into it. I'm also going with it.

Match #8
    Pathologic - “Termitnik”
    I can see myself liking Termitnik in game; I'm usually down with these low-key but tense tracks. I think it doesn't quite work in the context of this contest, though, because it feels like it takes forever to get going and then doesn't really go anywhere different. And uh, huh. I'm feeling the same way about Arena for it's 1 minute somethin' of length. Um. So I guess I'm going with Termitnik, I really don't have much to say about either of these.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Time Trax - “Title Theme”
    Turricane II - “The Wall”
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts - “Main Theme”
    Pathologic - “Termitnik”
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Blog Entries

Would like to add thoughts later but for now I'm just getting my votes in:

1. Jinx - “Hub World”
    2. Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1”
    3. Turrican II - “The Wall”
    4. Resident Evil Outbreak - “Happy Hour Jam Session”
    5. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - “Zephyr”
    6. Bravely Default - “Infiltrating Enemy Territory”
    7. Road Rash - "Pacific Highway"
    8. Pathologic - “Termitnik”

Also, there's about 23 hours remaining until the end of the round so reminder mentions to @Sam, @tormented, @Smiling Politely, @deadname, @pax and @1010011010 to get your votes in.
    @NHC's Resident Bart I'd like to note that although you were DQ'd from being a contestant you are still allowed to vote in this thing, as can anyone, really.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Jinx - "Hub World"
    2. Evergrace - "Buying Goods at Palmira"
    3. Turricane II - "The Wall"
    4. Umineko When They Cry - "Rhythm Changer"
    5. Ghouls 'n Ghosts - "Main Theme"
    6. Bravely Default - "Infiltrating Enemy Territory"
    7. Night in the Woods - "Die Anywhere Else"
    8. Pathologic - "Termitnik"
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

1. Jinx - “Hub World”
    2. Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1”
    3. Turricane II - “The Wall”
    4. Umineko When They Cry - “Rhythm Changer”
    6. The Sims - “Neighbourhood 5”
    7. Night in the Woods - “Die Anywhere Else” (favourite new find of the round for me)
    8. Never Alone - “Arena Battle”

Blog Entries

1. Jinx - “Hub World”
    2. Evergrace - “Buying Goods at Palmira”
    3. Turricane II - “The Wall”
    4. Umineko When They Cry - “Rhythm Changer”
    6. Bravely Default - “Infiltrating Enemy Territory”
    7. Road Rash - "Pacific Highway"
    8. Pathologic - “Termitnik”

Blog Entries

gonna make this brief, ten word summaries! seems a fun challenge and im terrified of missing the deadline so:

Match #1
    Time Trax - “Title Theme”: propulsive cop show intro, fierce and metallic. genesis manipulated geniusly
    vs.
    Jinx - “Hub World”: cascading droplets in mystic caves, pretty but standard ps1 fare.

TIME TRAX for sure (rip i guess wtf)

Match #2
    Evergrace - “Buying Goods at Palmira”: welcome to palmira: where buying goods is a baffling ordeal! ALTERNATIVELY: sure wish the shop wasnt playing five radio stations simultaneously
    vs.
    Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1”: passable if generic electro thumper set to fucking nightmare fuel

i joke but EVERGRACE, really good i just had a hard time summarizing it, especially do love the frantic bits and the jangle sounds great.

Match #3
    Turrican(e) II - “The Wall”: decent chugging synth metal stomp, feels like dystopian wrestling music
    vs.
    Sonic Heroes - “Mystic Mansion”: nostalgia consumes me, and yet, corny and a bit messy. ALTERNATIVELY: hmm how to evoke spookiness subtly ah yes BELLS EVERYWHERE

neither great but TURRICAN(E)

Match #4
    Umineko When They Cry - “Rhythm Changer”: the beat fights the twinkling synths, then harmony sets in
    vs.
    Resident Evil Outbreak - “Happy Hour Jam Session”: *plays guitar exactly as one would for resident evil outbreak*

yeah im gonna need to find someway to write more about umineko cuz goddamn what a unique and intriguing gem. so yeah UMINEKO

Match #5
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts - “Main Theme”: damn it, my bitcrushed medieval folk records are skipping again
    vs.
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - “Zephyr”: bubbly, jangly, mystical and electric. copeland always fills the canvas.

gotta go to SPYRO 2

Match #6
    The Sims - “Neighbourhood 5”: we are now entering intermission. the show will resume shortly. ALTERNATIVELY: i only like tropicala when mike patton's moaning over it.
    vs.
    Bravely Default - “Infiltrating Enemy Territory”: fantastic lurching but elegant piece, holy shit the cello bits

gotta go to BRAVELY DEFAULT, if i had written more i woulda gushed for ages cuz this is awwweesome.

Match #7
    Road Rash - “Pacific Highway”: CRANK UP THE FUCKING EVERYTHING but don't forget your helmet!
    vs.
    Night in the Woods - “Die Anywhere Else”: sounds just like it looks, childhood slumber party on halloween.

dont love either but ROAD RASH at least goes for it so ye

Match #8
    Pathologic - “Termitnik”: kinda cool and creepy, underplayed shuffly ambience adds suitable texture. ALTERNATIVELY: feels like the soothing dusky ambience of a worms game
    vs.
    Never Alone - “Arena Battle”: ethereal wind through my hair, remote drums in my heart.

both good but i gotta go with the stunning minimalism of NEVER ALONE

Blog Entries

Making this brief.
    Match 1: Time Trax- Title Theme
    Match 2: Evergrace- "Buying Goods at Palmira"
    Match 3: Sonic Heroes- Mystic Mansion
    Match 4: Best of Unineko BGM- Rhythm Changer
    Match 5: Spyro 2- Ripto's Rage! OST: Zephr
    Match 6: Infiltrating Enemy Territory - Bravely Default OST
    Match 7: Night in the Woods OST - Die Anywhere Else
    Match 8: ​Never Alone Soundtrack - Arena Battle

Blog Entries

A little bit late here but

VOTING OVER FOR ROUND 1-A!

Results shortly.

Blog Entries

RESULTS FOR ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Time Trax - “Title Theme” (3)
    vs.
    Jinx - “Hub World” (5)

Eliminated: Time Trax - "Title Theme" (Nominated by @justin)

Match #2
    Evergrace - “Buying Goods at Palmira” (6)
    vs.
    Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1” (2)

Eliminated: Pizza Dude - “Music Track 1” (Nominated by @tormented)

Match #3
    Turrican II - “The Wall” (7)
    vs.
    Sonic Heroes - “Mystic Mansion” (1)

Eliminated: Sonic Heroes - “Mystic Mansion” (Nominated by @pax)

Match #4
    Umineko When They Cry - “Rhythm Changer” (7)
    vs.
    Resident Evil Outbreak - “Happy Hour Jam Session” (1)

Eliminated: Resident Evil Outbreak - “Happy Hour Jam Session” (Nominated by @Shaunbadia)

Match #5
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts - “Main Theme” (2)
    vs.
    Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! - “Zephyr” (6)

Eliminated: Ghouls 'n Ghosts - “Main Theme” (Nominated by @justin)

Match #6
    The Sims - “Neighbourhood 5” (3)
    vs.
    Bravely Default - “Infiltrating Enemy Territory” (5)

Eliminated: The Sims - “Neighbourhood 5” (Nominated by @pax)

Match #7
    Road Rash - “Pacific Highway” (3)
    vs.
    Night in the Woods - “Die Anywhere Else” (5)

Eliminated: Road Rash - “Pacific Highway” (Nominated by @Shaunbadia)

Match #8
    Pathologic - “Termitnik” (5)
    vs.
    Never Alone - “Arena Battle” (3)

Eliminated: Never Alone - “Arena Battle” (Nominated by @Smiling Politely)

Round 1-B will be up shortly.

dammit 2 of my tracks got eliminated

Match #1
    I Wanna Kill The Guy - “Optional Boss”
    Whoa this Optional Boss sounds frantic as all hell. I don't really have a lot to say about the MK track, and while I'm not super into Optional Boss, it's the choice I am going with.

Match #2
    Fantasy Life - “Night of a Quiet Town”
    Ahhh Brothers...gonna cry just thinking about that game. Winged Hope is a pretty and yes, hopeful piece of music. It's also a bit sad and fit the atmosphere of the game rather well. Night of a Quiet Town is a charming tune that fits the name. It sounds like something Nobuo Uematsu would compose for a Final Fantasy game, definitely. I especially like the part where it gets a bit jazzy. Enjoyable town tune, going with it.

Match #3
    The King of Fighters XI - “Joker”
    o shit Hero Team vs. Eddy Gordo...Round 1, FIGHT! Never actually listened to Gordo's theme all the way through. It feels like it fits his capoeira style of dance-fight very well. Seems to go on a bit long after awhile and my favorite parts are probably the opening since I heard it so much. I am super into that guitar riff in Joker which can be a bit repetitive at certain chunks, but it gets me hyped to throw green fire at someone. "The power of a new generation" line is slight cheez but I'll allow it since it's not that offputting.

Match #4
    Hollow Knight - “Mantis Lords”
    Mantis Lords do sound quite lordly. And also potentially like I should run the hell away from them lest they lay the classical smackdown on me. I like the energy (and that Mega Drive sound) of the Warsong track but Mantis Lords kinda captivated me for a moment, particularly with the sharp, aggressive string strokes. Going with Mantis Lords.

Match #5
    Skate or Die 2 - “Ramp”
    Ramp is noise, but catchy noise. The actual melody you get out of against the high chirping BPM and pounding beat is kinda cool, and I remember listening to this music a lot while trying to figure out how to successfully do ANYTHING on that fucking skate ramp. Most of my sessions ended with a broken skateboard and an angry boarder yelling NO WAY DUDE. Mysterio theme starts out pretty cool with that muffled sounding percussion (is this a sample of some sort?) but the longer it went on the more I just kinda drifted off. Ramp is short and messy but it's my pick.

Match #6
    Pyre - “Path to Glory”
    Path to Glory is a rather impressive piece of music. Wasn't into the super frantic percussion at first but the strings really sold me on this. About halfway through it gets really good when it slows down some in contrast. Main Theme is not bad either, but I can't think of too much to say about it. I like the occasional puncture from the percussion just kinda popping in.

Match #7
    Timesplitters 2 - “Nightclub”
    Nightclub is ever so swanky! Boppin' theme right there. Meanwhile Arceus sounds like it may be a bit of a dire battle. I do like that organ work, but Nightclub is more what I'm feeling right now.

Match #8
    Thumper - “Pulser”
    If you listen to Pulser long enough, it starts sounding like the creepiest Chinese Lion Dance ever. if you listen to Funky Strut long enough, it doesn't sound terribly different at any given point, but I'm sure someone who can dance can dance to it. This is kind of a coin toss as I'm not super into either, but going with Pulser.

Blog Entries

1. I Wanna Kill The Guy - “Optional Boss”
    2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - “Winged Hope"
    3. Tekken 3 - “Eddy Gordo”
    4. Warsong - “Thought of the Holy”
    5. Skate or Die 2 - “Ramp”
    6. Pyre - “Path to Glory”
    7. Timesplitters 2 - “Nightclub”
    8. EyeToy Play - "Funky Strut"

Blog Entries

@Smiling Politely, @tormented, @justin, @1010011010, @Sam, @pax and @deadname

About 25 hours until the round ends.

I Wanna Kill The Guy - “Optional Boss”
    Fantasy Life - “Night of a Quiet Town”
    The King of Fighters XI - “Joker”
    Hollow Knight - “Mantis Lords”
    Spider-Man - “Mysterio Theme”
    Pyre - “Path to Glory”
    Timesplitters 2 - “Nightclub”
    EyeToy Play - “Funky Strut”

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Lower Mines/The Pit
    2. Night of a Quiet Town
    3. Eddy Gordo
    4. Mantis Lords
    5. Ramp
    6. Main Theme (Neo-SF Streets Mix)
    7. Arceus
    8. Pulser

Blog Entries

Lower Mines
    Fantasy Life
    Tekken 3
    Hollow Knight
    Spider-Man
    Pyre
    Timesplitters 2
    EyeToy Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

4. Hollow Knight - “Mantis Lords”
    5. Spider-Man - “Mysterio Theme
    8. EyeToy Play - “Funky Strut”

Blog Entries

mk deception: Child Of Mortal Kombat. Not For The Music. we've been through this. i do think this era of mk has always had an interesting fascination with composites of more general edgy guitar/synths to establish anguish ridden moods along with more world-spanning musical references, the titantic drum arrangement is actually quite engrossing, very layered and bombastic, i believe there were actually notes in these games detailing the musical inspiration and the way they would form hybrids of various real life cultural music to produce something plausibly Otherworldly to suit their various realms. i'm not entirely sure this feels Otherworldly but it definitely feels massive, being thrust into the arena and its unquestionably life or death. tense and relentless, grinding buzzsaw tones searing into the track's skeleton, ice cold metallic screeching and warcry horns blaring into the sky and pouring into the abyss, bridged by more uhh...cheesy shall we say, electronic breakdowns. also as the track goes it gets a bit i'd say Lord Of The Rings-y with the string arrangment to me. still, this is one of the better tracks from this game for the huge drums and general intensity.
    vs.
    i wanna kill the guy: ah shit i've been Nightcored. very funny guys. i am entranced by ludicrous speeds in vgm, blazing and skittering and ricocheting off the walls, so fast it feels like its getting even faster, so fast it feels impossible to sit still while hearing it. love the way the zipping melody runs through the faster back-and-forth notes so fast it sounds like its glitching out and when the track starts looping on itself as the background noise (i seriously can't tell if its the bass or some other hushed synth noise) starts ascending too it sounds like its gonna burst. cool little spacey solo at the end too, really feels like it should keep going but it does make you hit the replay button.

i like both but im going with I WANNA KILL THE GUY

brothers: a tale of two sons: understated and mystical, what with the cyclical four-note base and the more hollow and humming strings atop that and a delicate ethereal choir giving it as a soft glow. it feels haunting, mysterious, yet comforting and cradling, just as easily a lullaby as an ominous warning of whats to come. i see endless freeing expanses of trees and incomprehensible structures towering in the distance, beauty and history and wonder of what lies there. gorgeous piece
    vs.
    fantasy life: well goodness aint these similar. instead of a looping four-note ascent then descent we have four different alternating note patterns descending and starting over, quite lush all on its own, majestic and calm, then come the sounds that more illustrate the ambience implied by the title, bells chiming, clocks ticking, something like windup toys in the distance and delicate humming like spirits taking the night skies while humans are away. there is a whimsy to the continual build of the arrangement's ambient noises, all working in tandem like an organic orchestra of nature and man's creation harmonizing, though the abrupt smash cut to moonlit piano jazz is...jarring? oh sure its tonally suited that's exactly the kinda music i think of when i think of night, but then it just starts over and..i dunno that's a little bit of a mood whiplash there, its two different ideas of night. still theres alot of good stuff here, definitely inspiring and spacious.

both good but i gotta go with FANTASY LIFE

tkof xi: even when it's blazing rock riffs (ones that seek to deafen me no doubt), fighting games, more traditional ones anyhow, always have an electronic feel to me musically. it makes sense, adrenaline juiced loops that compound in intensity through their sheer insistence, the feeling needs to be immediate and needs to grip on and not let go. there are some stray synths wailing in the dense Rock Fog and a few vocal clips but largely its all about that sheer propulsion. just moving forward relentlessly, crunching and clawing into you, it will get on your nerves very quickly, like all fighting music. maybe that's just me. in any case serves its integral purpose but as a song? it's okay.
    vs.
    tekken 3: see it's all electronic. this one's a head-bobber, nile rodgers-y funk clacking gives a little retro heart to the vivacious thump and gooey synth bass that fills this sucker with gusto, some great glitchy chops and trashy auxillary noises to make it still feel a bit tattered, not too clean and clubby remembering we're punching and kicking the shit out of each other. yet again the synths aren't the main attraction but they give it a bit of that electronic-meets-everything vibe that fighting games seemed addicted to back in the day, just had to have that oomph and those vibey noises just zooming through the thing. this one works both in and out of context, real banger that goes for it and keeps it fun and electrified.

yeah easily TEKKEN 3

hollow knight: at first i was merely feeling Yeah This Sure Is Haunted House Music but boy does it go the extra mile. first off yeah its pretty familiar compositional ideas for such a theme but it sounds like someone who has done their crucial homework in this area and knows how to compose a fun creepy spooky ditty, and man those puncturing staccatos really jolt you, turning a cartoony haunted mansion ride into psycho without warning, as horror should, don't warn me just really crank it up. the alternating high and low register middle stretch is fantastic too, really erratic and without resolve. restless and humongous, feels like many horror tunes perfectly layed on top of each other, years of influence and inspiration culminating in besting the classic ideas by melding them. this is really damn good considering i don't chase these sorts of moods alot.
    vs.
    warsong: *injects genesis into veins* ahhhhhhhhhhhh. this is fucking good. stamping bassline marching relentlessly forth, soaring solos relaying one after the other and eventually coalescing into a proud spiraling wave of light as the percussion pops like firecrackers, often going off without warning. would not hesitate to say this is, in a loooong line of awesome genesis tunes, one of the best. i am absolutely juiced up by this, makes me wanna take on the entire Fictional Universe This Is Scoring, even though that box art looks lame as shit. man nowadays this game would have some overly seriously detatched obligatory film score bullshit like skyrim or dragon age. its tragic really.

agh fuck, these are both stellar and im sad one has to go. alas i gotta go with WARSONG

skate or die 2: not sure why this old skool skateboarding title has these coarse club banger drums and thrusts them center stage, i mean it definitely provides a general momentum but i feel less like i should be pulling off sick tricks and more like i should be doing illegal drugs. not much else to say of this one, lotta standard jittery and restless nes synths that bounce around to a point that finding a melody becomes exhausting and its better to just give into the fizzling trance of it all. a bit non-descript and monotonous frankly.
    vs.
    spider-man: i think i accidentally said everything id say about this in the tekken thing. its alot of that, that pulsating hi-nrg electro with a tinge of rock energy and riffage, loud and claustrophobic in the right way, that drum loop in the very opening is really cool though, this really goopy undulating funk rhythm, its a shame it does get so muddied by the rather ho-hum Heavy Guits to me. beyond that this shares the familiar vgm trait of being so erratic and constantly changing that its hard to analyze every single thing, but i do feel like something is definitely lost in all the oppressive fuzz.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SPIDER MAN

2064: read only memories: i am Notoriously picky with my new age retro vibes but all the colorful lively fills played against the humming synths and intermittent cheeseball vocal choir samples sounds pretty good to me. i think because this does feel suitable to 2064, a futuristic city, it could be amazing or it could be dystopian, either way it feels slightly ahead of its time in a very 80s depiction of the future way but still. smack those Fake Toms baby, take me away to A Time That Probably Wont Be This Cool.
    vs.
    pyre: lotta gears turning here, great hybrid of Ye Olde Folk jangle and erratic jungle beats (this time i mean the genre). plus that cool indie rock guitar burn, its weird but this song has part that make me think of radiohead, and im always a huge fan of big studio drum sounds so that shift is much appreciated and helps shift the dynamic. really cool track that manages all these different parts quite effortlessly and makes something rather unique and engrossing

both cool but i liked PYRE a bit more

timesplitters 2: you say nightclub, i say circus. or casino maybe. i guess a casino is like a type of club you can enter at night but if this is meant to be the Sexy Time Music or the Sad Drinking Time Music or the Drugs Doing Music then uh no to all of those. oh but im being pedantic as for this thing itself...well it definitely literally sounds like ive heard it before. has that rumbling jungle drum break (not like the genre jungle but like drums that pound like gorillas pounding their chests or something), the spirited wailing horn section and glistening jazzy pianos and loose drum patters. yeah this is casino music. if im playing like a sonic game and the casino level pops up and this is the music i'd be like Yeah. Cool. That Works Fine. *runs and stuff*. im just not really gonna take notice though. well played sure but a bit standard and all.
    vs
    pokemon ranger: huh okay yeah just do some Castlevania Organs at me. literally have nothing to say about this. it sure is Generic Creepy. what i was worried hollow knight was gonna be, this is. yaaaaawn. yawn! big yawn.

ugh well i guess TIMESPLITTERS 2 gets to go thru for now. why didn't warsong or hollow knight get paired with one of these man, or well each of these as the case would be. whatever!!!

eyetoy play: *haphazrardly tosses together midi noises having heard One Disco Song* ah yes this will get their Butts all Agroove. kind of a pathetic affair, perhaps fine for what it is i don't expect prime arrangments but this feels more like a snes era throwaway to me than something for the ps2, its just really dinky funk and i couldn't possibly dance with such a paper thin bass line trying to hold things down, not that i'm throwing together vgm dance mixes but still. for a game that involves actual physical movement i would want the music to be more engaging, taken out of that context though its just really basic and flimsy
    vs
    thumper: i've seen gameplay of this and omg i want it so bad its aweeeesome. music perfectly fits too, that racing tense noise, the overwhelming rushes of white noise like the friction of wind against you, the ritualistic drums like you're taking part in some grand trial of endurance - which trust me watch some footage of this, like everyone this game fucking looks amazing. i am definitely biased here, as cool as this piece is alone, the more glitchy and electronic components piercing into the dark ambience, ethereal wafts of noise swooping into the foreground and swiftly out again, noises compounding more and more as it feels like you're getting closer to some grand goal, as cool as all that is, without having seen it would it be as cool? or inversely would other pieces have been cooler with that context? maybe. nonetheless if i am gonna judge this alone its badass, and if im judging it on how the game utilizes it its dead-on perfect, i feel like im moving just hearing it, terrifying speeds everything blurring around me as i FUCK i died again. thats how i imagine it. hyped to get money so i can be really angry at this game

eeeeeeeasily THUMPER

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

4. Warsong - “Thought of the Holy”
    5. Spider-Man - "Mysterio"
    8. Thumper - "Pulser"

Blog Entries

VOTING OVER FOR ROUND 1-B!

Results eventually but first...

Blog Entries

TIE-BREAKER NEEDED!

Match #8
    EyeToy Play - "Funky Strut" (4)
    vs.
    Thumper - "Pulser" (4)

Because they have yet to vote in this round I'll give mentions to @tormented, @deadname and @NHC's Resident Bart but really anyone can come along and break the tie

Blog Entries

Pulser

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

Pulser for the win.

Blog Entries

Damn, Tormented juuuuuuust beat ya to the tie-breaker there Bart.

RESULTS FOR ROUND 1-B!

Match #1
    Mortal Kombat: Deception - “Lower Mines/The Pit” (2)
    vs.
    I Wanna Kill The Guy - “Optional Boss” (6)

Eliminated: Mortal Kombat: Deception - “Lower Mines/The Pit” (Nominated by @pax)

Match #2
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - “Winged Hope" (3)
    vs.
    Fantasy Life - “Night of a Quiet Town” (5)

Eliminated: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - “Winged Hope" (Nominated by @Smiling Politely)

Match #3
    The King of Fighters XI - “Joker” (2)
    vs.
    Tekken 3 - “Eddy Gordo” (6)

Eliminated: The King of Fighters XI - “Joker” (Nominated by @kupomog)

Match #4
    Hollow Knight - “Mantis Lords” (5)
    vs.
    Warsong - “Thought of the Holy” (3)

Eliminated: Warsong - “Thought of the Holy” (Nominated by @tormented)

Match #5
    Skate or Die 2 - “Ramp” (3)
    vs.
    Spider-Man - “Mysterio Theme” (5)

Eliminated: Skate or Die 2 - “Ramp” (Nominated by @kupomog)

Match #6
    2064: Read Only Memoires - “Main Theme (Neo-SF Streets Mix)” (1)
    vs.
    Pyre - “Path to Glory” (7)

Eliminated: 2064: Read Only Memoires - “Main Theme (Neo-SF Streets Mix)” (Nominated by @1010011010)

Match #7
    Timesplitters 2 - “Nightclub” (7)
    vs.
    Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs - “Arceus” (1)

Eliminated: Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs - “Arceus” (Nominated by @1010011010)

Match #8
    EyeToy Play - “Funky Strut” (4)
    vs.
    Thumper - “Pulser” (5)

Eliminated: EyeToy Play - “Funky Strut” (Nominated by @Shaunbadia)

Round 2 shortly.

Thread Information