Which are better? The seasons 11, 12 and 13, or 26, 27 and 28?

Which seasons are better and why? For me, in the last three or four years the Simpsons are having their best time since the classic seasons (1-10).

The episodes are more realistic, emotional and innovative (and maybe, funny). The animation is much better. Both have good and bad episodes, but in my ranking that cover the episodes of the six seasons in question, the top5 would be composed mostly of new ones (Trilogy of Error, I Am Furious (Yellow), Simpsorama, Halloween of Horror and Barthood), while the not top5, for the old ones (Saddlesore Galactice, The Old Man and the Key, Gump Roast, Let's Go Fly Coot and Every Man's Dream).

What do you think?

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

they r all v v v v v v v v bad

Pin Pal

Don't forget The Book Job and Holidays of Christmas Past.

Blog Entries

Those are from season 23

Blog Entries

Its hard to say for me because season 26-28 are still relatively new compared to 11-13 which I know all to well by now. I don't think season 28 was as good as 26/27 and would rather replace it with 25, maybe then I would preferred this period. As it is now, despite my dislike of the direction Scully took with his seasons, they are still the most funniest and memorable when compared to most of Jeans seasons. Even some of Scully's worst episodes can give me a couple of laughs, despite cringing at the writing most of the time. The worst episodes from 26-28 either put me to sleep or makes me cringe trough the whole running time.

I'd rather like to compare all the best episodes from 11-13 to 26-28 and see how well they fare. 11-13 has:

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?, Treehouse of Horror X, Behind the Laughter, Skinner's Sense of Snow, HOMR, Trilogy of Error, Half-Decent Proposal, I Am Furious (Yellow)

26-28 has:

Treehouse of Horror XXV, Simpsorama, I Won't Be Home for Christmas, Sky Police, Halloween of Horror, Barthood, Fland Canyon, There Will Be Buds

These 8 vs 8 episodes provide quite a bigger battle and I can't even say which period I like more.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

26-28:
    Mindnumbing. Boring. Annoying. Crap writing. The most depressingly out-of-character Mr. Burns ever. The most depressingly neutered Abe ever.

Season 11-13:
    Wacky, but entertaining. Poor characterization sometimes, but great comedy. Some boring episodes, but not very many. Out-of-character Mr. Burns, but still pretty funny. Has 2 great Treehouse Of Horror episodes.

My choice is easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt, Nitsy

Blog Entries

I would take 11-13 over anything from the HD era any day, so this is a pretty easy choice for me.

Both equally have the good and bad.

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    Those are from season 23
    True but those are great episodes too.

11, 12 and 13, but that could be because I was still a pre-teen (and early teenager) when they aired (I was in elementary school during Season 11, and middle school for the other two). There were quite a few clunkers, but more episodes I enjoyed than the past three recent seasons. I remember we got this "local" station from New Hampshire (though we lived in Massachusetts) that had syndication rights to the Simpsons, but they'd only air Seasons 11, 12 and 13. So it was a decent way to refresh on the latest episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    26-28:
    Mindnumbing. Boring. Annoying. Crap writing. The most depressingly out-of-character Mr. Burns ever. The most depressingly neutered Abe ever.

Season 11-13:
    Wacky, but entertaining. Poor characterization sometimes, but great comedy. Some boring episodes, but not very many. Out-of-character Mr. Burns, but still pretty funny. Has 2 great Treehouse Of Horror episodes.

My choice is easy.
    Same. This is not even a question for me. 11, 12, 13 any day.

Even the best of 26, 27, 28 still have that "HD era feel" that I don't prefer. And for me, the bad of the HD era is much worse than the wackiness of the Scully era.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 07-29-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Here is how I would rank each respective season...

1) Season 13 - One of the best episodes of the post-Classic era in I Am Furious (Yellow), two extremely solid Lauren MacMullan efforts (one of which was even written by <gasp> Tim Long), the infamous and controversial Brazil episode, probably the worst clip show in Gump Roast that at least has an amazing Selman-penned closing song in "They'll Never Stop The Simpsons", Lisa goes buddhist and a healthy crop of otherwise inoffensive episodes. Not the best standalone Jean season (I consider 15 to hold that title) but a pretty solid debut effort and years before he started rubber stamping everything.

2) Season 27 - Two of the best HD era episodes in Halloween of Horror and Barthood, no Tim Long, a number of episodes with horrible premises on paper that managed to not wind up as bad as they sounded, a handful of forgettable stinkers in Lisa with an 'S', Simprovised and To Courier with Love and probably the worst season premiere not penned by Tim Long in Every Man's Dream (J. Stewart Burns would find his motivation with other above average episodes later in the season). Oh and Sideshow Bob finally killed Bart... (yawn).

3) Season 12 - The best post-Classic era episode in Selman's inspired Trilogy of Error, MacMullan makes her debut, Tim Long's best episode in Skinner's Sense of Snow, a bi-polar offering (two great, two terrible) of late Swartzwelder efforts and Yvan eht Nioj. The CABF production run in particular felt a little phoned in by Scully who may have been burning out as showrunner at this point. It's difficult to defend Homer vs. Dignity but there are at least less turds here than in Season 11.

4) Season 26 - Rob Oliver's ascension into the show's best active director took hold in this season as he started helming multiple episodes (Blazed and Confused and Sky Police being his gems from this year), Al Jean started churning scripts out again (I Won't Be Home for Christmas impressed, the oft-delayed The Man Who Came to Be Dinner underwhelmed due to pacing challenges), Selman had a down year, we had some memorable crossovers in Simpsorama (which I still think is overrated) and The Simpsons Guy (albeit from a different staff) and Elon Musk kind of tanked the reception for the back-half of the season. Still above average for HD era seasons, I'd say.

5) Season 28 - Rather forgettable season and I really hate to see the show phone it in this late in its run as the number of kicks at the Simpsons can becomes an ever-diminishing finite number. Very Burns-centric to appease Harry Shearer. Far too many "Abe backstory segments with Homer to explain a thing" episodes (although the HD-era has been riddled with these). Cost-cutting in the music department became especially noticeable with efforts being consolidated to certain key episodes instead of being spread out. I adore There Will Be Buds, was impressed with 22 for 30 and The Great Phatsby (although I'm clearly on an island for the latter and it did kind of lean too heavily on filler and wacky animal mascot hijinx - the Smithers subplot was great). There was quite a number of misfires - especially as the WABF production run took hold. WABF01 (Dad Behavior) and WABF02 (The Nightmare After Krustmas) were both awful although at least the latter had Rob Oliver directing. Jeff Westbrook has been terrible since his THOH episode outside of his one Selman-showrun effort.

6) Season 11 - The season that singlehandedly drove me to quit regularly watching the show for a number of years as Scully wackiness took complete hold. Almost all of it remains abysmally awful even on the 10th rewatch. This was the season that embraced stupid for the sake of stupid... be it poison eclairs, spying Major League Baseball, renegade horse jockeys who are also leprechauns, Maude getting killed by a T-shirt gun, self-tapping shoes, Homer fleeing PBS to bring religion and gambling to a bunch of natives, Donald Trump as president... and I haven't even mentioned Kill the Alligator and Run yet. I suppose Behind the Laughter is OK... but even that gets more credit for being meta than being entertaining.

So, to recap... 13 > 27 > 12 > 26 > 28 > 11
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By the time S27 when I gave up, I'd wish the show at least 'tried' to be ANYTHING. As bad as S11 was, it was at least memorable for all the wrong reasons and got some kind of reaction out of me, but with S27 it was just 'a bunch of whatever stuff happened'.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Blog Entries

Seasons 11,12 and 13. Sure they had a lot of issues (the episodes were becoming more bizarre and detached from reality, more over the top blood and violence outside of Halloween specials, Homer finished his decent into becoming a complete sociopath and never really recovered, the panda rape, weird changes like Barney going sober that went nowhere, Saddlesore Galactica, episodes with terrible endings like the Great Money Caper and The Frying Game, etc), but at least there was still good episodes (E-I-E-I (Annoyed Grunt) ) and some memorable funny moments (stupid sexy Flanders), and above all, there was still a sense of passion from the people working on the show, like they were really trying.

Seasons 26, 27, and 28, on the other hand, just feel lazy and tired. These seasons were filled with obvious gimmick episodes (hyping up that someone was going to die, only for it to turn out to be the minor character of Krusty's rabbi father, Homer talking to fans live, Homer and Marge getting separated), terrible and bizarre attempts at making "sequels" to old episodes (Kamp Krustier and The Kids Are All Fight), horrible characterization, Kang and Kodos showing up outside of a Halloween special in a really strange and rushed episode, a very disappointing and overrated crossover with Futurama that had horrible pacing, felt totally rushed, and came of as phoned in, the absolute worst flashback episode (well, to me anyway) in The Kids Are All FIght, and worst of all, it gave us Every Man's Dream, the absolute worst episode of the show.

And no matter how bad Seasons 11, 12, and 13 were, they can't compare to Season 28 in awfulness. 28 has all the issues that's been building up in the last few seasons taken to new levels, as almost every episode either had a completely rushed ending or no real resolution to the plots with the episode instead just ending. Kamp Krustier tried and failed to be a sequel to the original Kamp Krusty, every guest star was wasted (Glenn Close came back as Mona again...to voice two random unimportant lines for one episode), a weird amount of episodes that kept giving retcons about why Homer resents his father (airing very closely together usually), every fourth act was pointless, and when the plots weren't being rushed and half-assed, they were having a Mr. Burns plot awkwardly shoe-horned in.

So while Season 11-13 had their problems, they could still feel fresh, interesting, and sometimes funny, Seasons 26-28 just feel uninspired, rushed, and very lazy.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Season 12 has a lot of memorable and funny scenes for me, so 11-13 any day. Not sure if my choice would be different if I saw the newer episodes first - probably not.

I used to think Seasons 11-12 were the low point of the series; this was about 10 years ago.

But I'd rather watch Seasons 11-13 over Seasons 26-28.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Seasons 11-13, even if that was when the show was starting to decline. They have more replay/entertainment values than the last three seasons had imo
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

11 and 12 is my favorites

Blog Entries

11-13 are far better in my opinion. 13 was a bit different from 11 and 12 because it was when Jean took over from She of Little Faith onward, and these seasons are still quite enjoyable because of the humor provided in the episodes that is sorely lacking in the modern era. 26-28 are virtually indistinguishable from one another. And some of the most hated episodes from the Scully seasons I actually like, such as Simpson Safari and Saddlesore Galactica. There are some disliked episodes from 26-28 that I enjoy as well, but none to the extent that I enjoy in 11-13.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Season 11 is still shit but atleast it was memorable even if for the wrong reasons and i did not get bored while watching it like with Season 26-28. There were a few very good episodes but the rest was just meh and unmemorable. Haven't watched all off S28 yet but i guess things did not improve much.

I liked 13 and while 12 was not good, it was an improvement over S11.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 11-23-2017 at 03:54 AM.

If I look at by what I like and what I didn't i be here for ever on the negative, especially the later three seasons.

Episodes like:
    1. Bull-e: Stop trying to make Bart a sociopath.
    1 (tie). Girl Code: they missed the chance to call the coders out for their firing of the only male, comic book guy, in the group, especially Lisa. If it was the other way around she would make noise. Plus no one gets that excited about writing code.
    3. The Musk who fell to earth. Can't remember what reviewer said it everything about the episode was about Musk. It waslike he had a boy crush.
    4. Peeping mom
    5. Every episode where Lisa goes on a crusade where we know it's going to fail, the feel sorry for me episodes and the ones she's full of shit

These are my favorites:

S11 coming to criticize dinner, gift of the magi, faith off (he took a whiz, oh yes he did), saddlesore galatica,
    S12: insane clown poppy, the computer wore menace shoes, Skinner' s sense of snow, Day of the Jackanapes, hungry, hungry Homer , Simpson safari, Simpson tall tales,
    S13 the blunder years, brawl in the family, sweet and sour Marge, jaws wired shut, the old man and the key (Hoochie! Hoochie! Hoochie!), I'm a furious (yellow), little girl in the big ten.

Vs

S26 clown in the dumps, blazed and confused, the man who became to be dinner (Lisa pick dad, not mom?), sky police.
    S27 puffless (only Maggie's story),
    S28 nothing yet

So it's 11, 12,13.
    You ladies are without a doubt the most sorrowful clique at the dance. Not one of you fit to guard a Russian rock band.

However, your checks have cleared, so you all graduate.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: owo

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

11, 12, and 13, easily. Those are still the classic era, in my view, whereas I absolutely cannot stand any of the HD era.
    nohomers.net make Treehouse of Spoopy go crazy

Seasons 11-13 were better. Not going to go over the problems they had, because we all know at this point. But at least when I watched those episodes, they were trying to do something. The characters had stronger personalities at the time. And there are episodes I genuinely like from those seasons. The show was still capable of being really funny, and for the most part, I could follow what was happening.

I don't hate the way the show is now. I can sit through it. It doesn't annoy me or make me angry, but it also doesn't make me laugh that much and it doesn't stand out that much either. Most of the episodes over the last twelve or so years just fall into the same category. They start and then they end. Mike Scully had a distinct tone when he was in charge and you could see his personal influence on the direction of the show. Al Jean runs the show like an assembly line. The episodes come out when they're supposed to, and production is smooth every year, but there's nothing memorable about the majority of them. You know what to expect from a Simpsons episode no matter what the plot is.

Junior Camper

11-13 were way better. I consider the first 12 seasons of the Simpsons to be absolute classic. Scully seasons weren't as good as the original 9 or so but they were still really funny. 26-28 are decent still better than 30 and 31. Honestly, the recent three seasons are probably the worst Simpsons I've seen.

Seasons 11-13 didn't put me to sleep, so I'll go with them.

Thread Information