Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem with Apu - truTV Documentary

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The Problem with Apu - truTV Documentary

so truTV will be airing a 90min special on basically how offensive Apu is, this looks pretty great imo

this should spark some conversations

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Igor, Road Rage

Blog Entries

yea looks good

sjw's attacking our cartoons now, what next
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Igor, jayleno

Blog Entries

looking forward to this. trutv been killin it

Blog Entries

huh, interesting. this should be good
    I

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Hari is great. Agree with him on most issues and this is definitely one of them. Can't wait for this. The salt in the comment section is an extra bonus

Blog Entries

The sheer amount of salt I've been seeing about it all day is tremendous. Looking forward to the special. Also a huge bonus that Kal Penn is in it.

That clip of Hank explaining that he was asked to make Apu's voice as offensive as possible maybe the most damning thing this documentary's got to prove their point.
    How to remaster

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

This is much Apu about nothing.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

90 minutes? Man, I was hoping this would be Kwik.

Everyone deserves two eyes BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

We know Apu is a stereotype, that's what he's supposed to be. There are many stereotypes of all nationalities in all TV and Film, including white americans, but that isn't racist for some reason. It's not like I see a person with an Indian Background and say, "Hey look! It's Apu! The Hindu! Can I take a penny or leave a penny?" I mean, do people really think it is THAT bad. We acknowledge that it is a wrongful stereotype. That's the point!
    And if people are fed up with Apu, where is the Sea Captain, Willie, Luigi, Fat Tony, BumblebeeMan, and Flanders stereotypes?

Blog Entries

I've seen people make dumb stereotypical Apu jokes about Indians many times so it definitely IS a problem that exists and like they said in the trailer Apu is really the only well know character of Indian descent so a lot of people well equate them with each other.
    and I never got the argument people make "they make fun of everyone so it's alright". that doesn't mean they get a free pass

I mean, you could say that Homer is a stereotype of a white American slob, Cletus is a white trash stereotype, and Luigi and Fat Tony are stereotypes of Italian-Americans (not to mention Rich Texan). So there are definitely other stereotypes in the show, including "white" ones. But there are other white characters--Apu is really the only Indian character, so I understand the gripe. Don't know if it's documentary-worthy, but I'm curious at least.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 07-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

Who voices Fat Tony? Who voices Homer? Who voices Apu?

Blog Entries

I mean the fact that Kal Penn is in that trailer is significant, because remember those asshole surfer dudes in "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" who derogatorily used Apu's name and his "thank you, come again!" to that clerk of the convienece store they trash? Apu's character has definitely had a negative influence on Indian people, if even inadvertently. I know this subject has been talked about before, it was briefly talked about in the John Ortved book, and I don't see why it's not worthy of a full documentary. Should be really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    I mean, you could say that Homer is a stereotype of a white American slob, Cletus is a white trash stereotype, and Luigi and Fat Tony are stereotypes of Italian-Americans (not to mention Rich Texan). So there are definitely other stereotypes in the show, including "white" ones. But there are other white characters--Apu is really the only Indian character, so I understand the gripe. Don't know if it's documentary-worthy, but I'm curious at least.
    I agree with you, it is not ok, it's just I don't understand why this is the only example coming under harsh criticisms while others are just as or even more deserving of it.

Who voices Willie? Is Dan Castellaneta Scottish?

Blog Entries

a white guy voicing Willie, another white guy, shouldn't get nearly as much outrage as a white guy voicing a character of a minority race

It's like you didn't even watch the trailer. He explains why right away.

Blog Entries

also yeah, Apu's characterization is an extreme exaggeration of what a white person thinks an Indian sounds like

And tbh if an Italian made a documentary about how Italian stereotypes have impacted his life and the world in general I would be all for it.

Shout out Jonathan Joss for always being there when comedy needed an NDN bless bless

I get it, I just think the outrage for it is over-exaggerated. I know it's not ok, and see how this is more extreme, but to have a whole 90 MINUTE TV SPECIAL about it is sort of insane, It can really be summed up in ten minutes or less.

I imagine it's going to start with Apu and then move on to Indian stereotypes in general, lack of quality roles for Indian people, etc. Well worth your precious 90 minutes

Blog Entries

really don't understand your problem and not wanting to see a 90 minute special. like are you incapable of paying attention for that long?

Blog Entries

I remember seeing some article or graph that a large percentage of indians appearing in shows were in that stereotypical accent

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    really don't understand your problem and not wanting to see a 90 minute special. like are you incapable of paying attention for that long?
    Yes, I'm very patient, and i'm sure the special brings up some interesting points, I just don't think it is needed

Blog Entries

why

nothing in this world is "needed", but why not do it

Blog Entries

Azaria's defense that they told him to make it Indian is at odds with Mike Reiss claiming he specifically wrote "HE IS NOT AN INDIAN" in his first appearance

31:35 in this podcast https://soundcloud.com/writersblocpo...e-9-mike-reiss

I don't get how saying 35 cents please in an Indian accent is "genius" as Reiss says other than making a room full of white people laugh. But I'm more willing to believe him over Azaria especially since the show seems smarter than Indian trope with nothing else(which Reiss says was rampant in every other comedy at the time).

Maybe some of the other writers wanted to annoy Reiss, so when he wasn't around they told Azaria that they wanted an Indian accent.

Thread Information