Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHC Summer Music Showdown (Voting Thread: RESULTS)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

2017 NHC Summer Music Showdown (Voting Thread: RESULTS)

Welcome to NHC's 2017 summer music showdown! You will have the usual three days to vote in each round. Even if you haven't submitted a track, please feel welcome to vote. We have a total of 64 songs between 20 participants.

Here are the folks with songs entered:
    1. @Smiling Politely
    2. @cuckold bart
    3. @Squeaky Voiced Teen
    4. @Shaunbadia
    5. @Hops
    6. @Mr. Teenie
    7. @OldSchoolerSimpsons
    8. @kaos
    9. @NHC's Resident Bart
    10. @The Spruce Moose
    11. @kat
    12. @Tinselled Jim
    13. @deadname
    14. @zach
    15. @The Thompsons
    16. @Tubbb!
    17. @NoDeerForAMonth
    18. @steamed_hamms
    19 @Yossarian
    20. @peyrin

Happy listening, folks!

Round 1A
    Round ends June 27 at 10pm eastern time.

My Life Story – Sparkle
    vs
    Spissy - Easy Mirror

The Suburbs – Cows
    vs
    Polvo - Thermal Treasure

Milk Music – Who's Been In My Dream?
    vs
    Noname ft. Saba, Smino & Phoelix- Shadow Man

Pino Donaggio – A Blow On The Head
    vs
    James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery

The Flats - Electric Light
    vs
    Eastwood After Hours – Tightrope (Main Theme)

Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow
    vs
    Samia – Someone Tell The Boys

Maino - Day After Tomorrow
    vs
    Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL

Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes
    vs
    Games – Strawberry Skies

Hey everyone, so I'm seeing now that The Flats song at number 5 is actually an EP. It has been changed to the first track of the EP with a fresh link to reflect this.

Blog Entries

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. My Life Story – Sparkle
    2. Polvo - Thermal Treasure
    3. Milk Music – Who's Been In My Dream?
    4. James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery
    5. Eastwood After Hours – Tightrope (Main Theme)
    6. Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow
    7. Maino - Day After Tomorrow
    8. Games – Strawberry Skies

Blog Entries

2. The Suburbs – Cows
    3. Noname ft. Saba, Smino & Phoelix- Shadow Man
    6. Samia – Someone Tell The Boys

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Spissy - Easy Mirror

2. The Suburbs - Cows (I guess? This wasn't a great match-up.)

3. Noname - Shadow Man

4. Pino Donaggio - Raising Cain - A Blow On The Head

5. Eastwood After Hours - Tightrope (Main Theme)

6. Someone Tell The Boys - SAMIA

8. Zeal & Ardor - In Ashes
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Good Morning, Captain NoDeerForAMonth's Avatar

6. Someone Tell The Boys - SAMIA
    Last edited by NoDeerForAMonth; 06-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries

5. The Flats - Electric Light

Blog Entries

picks in Bold. will finish later

1- My Life Story v Spissy
    My Life Story jumped out at me very early, having some big Morrissey vibes. I'm surprised I've never heard of this band before, i guess this was there one major hit. Spissy sounded like your average indie rock fare until as one of the comments on the vid said, the riff starting at around 1:30 burst in and gave it some character. I would imagine this would easily grow on me. The vocals have a bit of a 90s feel to them, which give it another boost.

2- The Suburbs v Polvo
    Hahaha, ok I've heard of the suburbs before but never given them a proper listen. This sounded very promising when those jagged guitar riffs started to overlap with the synth, which is a musical combination I am big on. It sounded like this was going to be quite an agressive post-punk tune but I'm not big on the vocals being as deadpan as they were. Lyrically it's memorable, I mean he says he likes cows a lot. I can't help but feel the music video is the real accomplishment here, it seems to feature every kooky trait you'd expect from an underground 80s band. I'm not sure this would be the best of their work, but I'll definitely listen to more and see if it is.
    I'm a huge polvo fan, but as with pre much every song of theirs, it does require patience. The first 90 seconds is a lot of quite noisy stuff, packed with reverb which may put a lot of people off. Once the song hits 1:36 it becomes alive, some much going on that it takes a couple of re-listens to really take in the melody beneath everything. I'm not sure this is their best song in all fairness, but it does display a lot of what they're about in only 4 and a half minutes.

3- Milk Music v Noname
    I knew I would dig Milk Music in the first 10 seconds when that quite folkesy riff came in. Its got some pretty big sounds here, elements of Violent Femmes and Gun Club, but something completely different. It's got a heartland rock vibe to it, with some indie elements too. Strangely I think the vocals really make it, they seem to be on the edge of snarling and wailing, but without losing any of the harmonic qualities. Definitely will revisit this one.
    Noname "shadow man" features some pre cool lyrics, not being an expert of this type of music I had to look them up online so it would make more sense. Stuff like "My music was a church when my spirit hopped out" Got a smile out me. A very dark song, but it doesn't come without a sense of humour "Tell the pastors to say some sad shit", etc.

4- Pino Donaggio v James Dean Driving Experience
    Lol, ok I think I can guess who submitted Pino. As with a lot of film scores, this needs the accompanying film alongside it do do it justice, otherwise it is difficult to really take it in the way it should. Although I will say it had a very good blend of mysteriousness and mischievousness, you can sort of imagine what scenes would play out as it snaked along and then jumps out at you.
    Ok so we're back with indie pop with "Sean Connery". A very happy little ditty, not going to complain to much about this. Like Spissy, this one does take a minute of two to get in your head. I don't think this is quite as strong, but I do like jangle pop as a general rule. Sorry Pino.

5- The Flats v Eastwood After Hours
    Not a big fan of the opening into "Electric Lights", something about it sounded quite...I don't know, generic? I thought this would be typical electro-pop cheesiness but it turned into something a bit different. Once the vocals came in it started to sound quite folkey, with a bit of a mumford and sons sound (I'm not sure if that description is accurate, but I can't think of a better term) on the vocals though, I am a big fan, as well as the chorus which gives it a bit of a kick. The last 20 seconds or so of instrumental seemed quite good as well.
    Tightrope is cool. There's seems to be a freestyle jazz thing going on here. I'm more into noir sounding, this sort of thing is difficult for me to appreciate. Gonna have to side with Flats here.

6 - Slapp Happy v Someone Tell The Boys
    Cool, climactic, intense, moody. Vocals a bit too screechy but nothing seriously wrong here. "Here's everybody's child but no-body's fool". Like it. Ok, maybe this song would have worked better if she dialled it down a bit, but that also gives it a lot of power, not that it was lacking in the first place.
    The second song, woah somebody is angry at boys! It has a sort of Courtney Love riot girl thing going on even though its quite a melodic tune. "I wish god made me gay" Could easily have been a kurt cobain lyric back in the day. Very good, I think it has that x factor out of the two songs.

7 - Maino v Gunna
    After Tomorrow is quite an upbeat hip-hop tune but its a bit too mild for me to be honest. In this clash between two very different hip-hop sounds I have to side with the more industrial/angsty sounding tune here, which is undeniably YSL. I really dig the instrumental under all this, even with the vocals I think I would have sided with this.

6- Zeal & Ardor v Games
    Ok so I'm not a fan of orchestral/black/satanic cult metal or whatever this comes under. In fact I have to say I hate it, I'd have more respect for it if it really packed a punch, but it seems on the borderline of trying to sound bluesy and quite poppy. It's really difficult to come out with the right terminology but it doesn't push a single one of my buttons.
    Games, well it draws you in very early with that welcoming synth, then pan pipe sounding synths come in and you know you've got an easy listen coming your way. The term "80s sounding" is often overused when it comes to synth based music, but this really has that going on, despite it's quite forboding tone it sounds like something that could have come out of the european darkwave scene in the mid to late eighties. Very cool.
    Last edited by jim; 06-26-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    :gatorpee:

Blog Entries

1. My Life Story - Sparkle: Very cheery and catchy, dig the drums that enhance the vocals rather than overpower them, and that short violin solo explosion was the best part of the whole thing. Round one is starting out with a bang, yo.

Spissy - Easy Mirror: The piano/guitar string sections are pleasant enough, but then the singer comes in and screws it up because I've heard this kind of song done like 20 times before, and this time the singer is ear-splittingly grating, so that does it no favours.

2. The Suburbs - Cows: I dig the hammering guitar that's kinda flying all over the place, creating a sort of exciting mayhem within the song, but that's about all I can say about this really. I was kinda thinking, "It's over already??" while listening so there's that too.

Polvo - Thermal Treasures: This is a banger. The constant slow-down and then blasting off does wonders for this track, and actually makes the sudden barrage of instruments more powerful IMO. The noodly guitar that creeps its way into the composition from time to time only adds to that. My only problem with the track is that the music tends to drown the singer out a little bit, but otherwise this is niiiice.

3. Milk Music - Who's Been In My Dream?: Very smooth track with mellow guitar strings, not sure else how to describe it. Don't mistake that for dissatisfaction though, because this gets two big thumbs up from yours truly.

Noname ft. Saba, Smino & Phoelix - Shadow Man: Damn, the finger snapping and the buttery smooth musical composition makes this hard to resist. The lyrics are clear as day and the music is free flowing right along, accentuating the entire piece and bringing it all together like an expertly crafted mood painting. This is a tough tough match, agh.

4. Pino Donaggio – A Blow On The Head: Look, I get what you're going for, but tracks like these do nothing for me outside of the context of the movies they're in. The track is menacing and yes it does what it sets out to do, but in a music showdown, this kind of stuff becomes a drag to sit through.

James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery: Right out of the gate, this track is so full of life and energy. The singer and the entire tone he's trying to set gives off this daydreamy aura that makes it feel like I could play this (maybe multiple times in a row) just to let loose for a little while. Hope this goes far.

5. The Flats - Electric Light: Don't know how to describe this because it straddles the line between generic and genuinely interesting. It packs a bit of a punch at times, but not enough to hold my interest for the full three minutes.

Eastwood After Hours – Tightrope (Main Theme): This is music you can lose yourself in for hours if you immerse yourself enough. The composition feels like it has so many stories to tell, so many endless emotions and situations can be drawn from it. And as a result, just like the wailing sax that goes anywhere and everywhere in this piece, your mind can go wherever you want it to. Too cheesy of a description? Maybe.

6. Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow: It's okay, nothing really stands out here but it is pretty soothing I guess?

Samia – Someone Tell The Boys: Pretty good, enjoying the up-tempo and energetic style every element of the track and the singer herself brings, before it all finally coalesces around 2:45 and sends the song out with a bang.

7. Maino - Day After Tomorrow: A song about achieving a tomorrow and the realities that come with it. Raw emotion fills every sentence, and the singer doesn't let up for a moment so this piece never loses its momentum at any point. Maino just blazes a trail of fire on his way to each chorus and never looks back.

Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL: Damn, this pulls you in from the start and doesn't let go. Dig the simple yet effective instrumentals, but Carti brings it above and beyond, like wow. This is a tough one for sure, I would be happy with either though. Agh.

8. Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes: It's okay for maybe the first ten seconds before the entire thing becomes unbearable. Plus, the singer sounds like he was recorded live for some reason while the rest of it wasn't.

Games – Strawberry Skies: I don't really know how to describe stuff like this, especially when I'm dead tired but I'll try anyway. It's basically 80s sythpop, and a bit haunting when the vocals come in, I guess. Not much else for me to say since it's kinda nondescript. I mean, this pretty much wins the match by default so there's that.
    Last edited by pax; 06-26-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Blog Entries

1. spissy - easy mirror (but both were great)
    2. polvo - thermal treasure
    3. noname - shadow man
    4. james dean driving experience - sean connery
    5. the flats - electric light
    6. samina - someone tell the boys
    7. maino - day after tomorrow (not a big fan of either)
    8. games - strawberry skies

1. Spissy (both were fine)
    2. Polvo (liked both of them, but gotta go with Polvo. Great band)
    3. Noname (the two best songs of the round)
    4. James Dean Driving Experience (great band. I have been a fan since they were nommed on BnRs showdown years ago)
    5. Eastwood After Hours (other song is twinkle done way too whiny)
    6. SAMIA (meh on both)
    7. Gunna (Pierre's production is out of this world and Carti kills his feature)
    8. Games (it okay)

Overall great round. There's a few here that I want to go far.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. My Life Story - Sparkle
    2. The Suburbs - Cows
    3. Noname - Shadow Man
    6. Samina - Someone Tell the Boys
    7. Maino- Day After Tomorrow
    8. Games - Strawberry Skies
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Spissy - Easy Mirror
    2. The Suburbs – Cows
    6. Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow
    8. Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes

Blog Entries

((Winners are in bold.))

1. Sparkle vs. Easy Mirror
    This one had a bit of a Morrisey vibe to it, which I can really appreciate. What really makes this song for me, though, is the imagery. There's something so artistically creative to it that you don't see much nowadays.

2. Cows vs. Thermal Temperature
    These were some real weird picks. After the first few notes almost making my ears bleed, the song sets into a really gnarly guitar riff, which is a definite yes for me. The song was short, and simple. An absurd subject, with some amazing guitar playing and imagery.

3. Who's Been In My Dream? vs. Shadow Man
    What makes this song for me is it's unpredictability. A trio, followed by some sick rap, followed by some instrumental beats. It kept me on my toes, and made the song a bit of an adventure for me. And who doesn't like songs to be an adventure?

4. A Blow to the Head vs. James Dean Driving Experience
    Probably one of my favorites so far; I love, love, love the driving beats it accompanies with the lyrics. Really does make you feel like you're driving.

That's all for now, folks. Some more votes comin' up.

Here I come, world! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. My Life Story - Sparkle
    2. The Suburbs - Cows
    3. Milk Music - Who's Been In My Dream?
    6. Slapp Happy - Mr. Rainbow
    8. Games - Strawberry Skies

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

1.Spissy - Easy Mirror (this one straddles the line of insufferability pretty well. The other song is like aggressively British)
    2.Polvo - Thermal Treasure (The Suburbs got better tracks)
    3.Milk Music – Who's Been In My Dream? (Both Hot Tracks)
    4.James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery (Easy)
    5.Eastwood After Hours – Tightrope (Main Theme) (Weak match-up here.)
    6.Samia – Someone Tell The Boys (A little long for what it is but still decent)
    7.Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL (Racks up Racks up)
    8.Games – Strawberry Skies (not a great match either)

I still need completed votes from: @Shaunbadia @Hops @kaos @NHC's Resident Bart @deadname @zach @The Thompsons @steamed_hamms
    @Tinselled Jim you need to change your font, I can't tell what's bolded.

1. My Life Story- Sparkle
    2. The Suburbs- Cows
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Blog Entries

I'll probably come back and edit in thoughts on each match at a later date. Right now though I just wanna make sure I have my votes in on time.

1. My Life Story – "Sparkle"
    2. Polvo - "Thermal Treasure"
    3. Noname ft. Saba, Smino & Phoelix - "Shadow Man"
    4. James Dean Driving Experience - "Sean Connery"
    5. Eastwood After Hours – "Tightrope (Main Theme)"
    6. Samia – "Someone Tell The Boys"
    7. Maino - "Day After Tomorrow"
    8. Games – "Strawberry Skies"
    How to remaster

1. My Life Story- Sparkle
    6. Samia – Someone Tell The Boys (one of the toughest matches of the round imo)
    7. Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL
    8. Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes

ROUND 1A HAS ENDED.

Results and 1B shortly.

1A Results

My Life Story – Sparkle (11)
    vs
    Spissy - Easy Mirror (6)
    Eliminated: Spissy - Easy Mirror (Nominated by: @NHC's Resident Bart)

The Suburbs – Cows (7)
    vs
    Polvo - Thermal Treasure (10)
    Eliminated: The Suburbs – Cows (Nominated by: @deadname)

Milk Music – Who's Been In My Dream? (4)
    vs
    Noname ft. Saba, Smino & Phoelix- Shadow Man (13)
    Eliminated: Milk Music – Who's Been In My Dream? (Nominated by: @cuckold bart)

Pino Donaggio – A Blow On The Head (1)
    vs
    James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery (16)
    Eliminated: Pino Donaggio – A Blow On The Head (Nominated by: @OldSchoolerSimpsons)

The Flats - Electric Light (6)
    vs
    Eastwood After Hours – Tightrope (Main Theme) (10)
    Eliminated: The Flats - Electric Light (Nominated by: @NHC's Resident Bart)

Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow (3)
    vs
    Samia – Someone Tell The Boys (13)
    Eliminated: Slapp Happy – Mr Rainbow (Nominated by: @kat)

Maino - Day After Tomorrow (11)
    vs
    Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL (5)
    Eliminated: Gunna ft. Playboi Carti- YSL (Nominated by: @Squeaky Voiced Teen)

Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes (3)
    vs
    Games – Strawberry Skies (13)
    Eliminated: Zeal & Ardor – In Ashes (Nominated by: @Smiling Politely)

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

1. SG Lewis Feat. Dornik - All Night
    2. Mobb Deep - Give It Up Fast feat. Big Noyd & Nas
    3. The Bryan Hughes Group - She's The Type
    4. Marina and the Diamonds – Forget
    5. Patti Austin - Hot! In the Flames of Love
    6. Jessie Reyez – Gatekeeper
    7. Big L – Now or Never
    8. Teleman - English Architecture

Here I come, world! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2. Larry Bailey - Groove With Me
    3. The Bryan Hughes Group - She's The Type
    4. Lucy Dacus - I Don't Wanna be Funny Anymore
    6. Jessie Reyez - Gatekeeper
    7. Busdriver - Beauty Supply and Demand
    8. Teleman - English Architecture

01. SG Lewis Feat. Dornik - All Night (cool to see tnt jackson, get christie love!, the guy from harlem, etc. in the video.)
    02. Larry Bailey - Groove With Me
    03. The Bryan Hughes Group - She's The Type
    04. Lucy Dacus - I Don't Wanna be Funny Anymore
    05. Patti Austin - Hot! In the Flames of Love
    06. Sebadoh - Too Pure
    07. Big L – Now or Never
    08. Teleman - English Architecture

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2. Mobb Deep - Give It Up Fast feat. Big Noyd & Nas
    3. Gila Bend – Gainer
    4. Lucy Dacus - I Don't Wanna be Funny Anymore
    6. Jessie Reyez - Gatekeeper
    7. Busdriver - Beauty Supply and Demand

1. The Replacements (Lucky this pick was one of their few good songs before Let it Be. Other song is okay too)
    2. Mobb Deep (great tune. That album is underrated)
    3. Gila Bend (I like em both)
    4. Lucy Dacus (it's pretty boring Urban Outfitters rock, but it's better than the other song)
    5. Patti Austin
    6. Sebadoh (classic tune)
    7. Big L (both are good)
    8. Alexei Stanchinsky

Thread Information