Thread: The Cops

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The Cops

Remember that show that was supposed to be airing on FX? The one by Louis C.K. and Albert Brooks? The one that we talked about in the Archer thread a while back because it was announced by FX around the same time a new Adam Reed show called "Cassius and Clay" that was supposed to be on FXX got ordered to series and then dropped before it could even air or have any more episodes produced beyond the pilot?

Well, it's called "The Cops" and it's gonna be on TBS now because FX didn't want it.
    Animated series The Cops (working title), starring and co-created by Louis C.K. and Albert Brooks, has moved to TBS where it has received a 10-episode straight-to-series order for a 2018 premiere. The Office creator and King of the Hill co-creator Greg Daniels has come on board as an executive producer for the series from FX Productions, Louis C.K.’s Pig Newton and Turner’s Studio T.

The Cops follows Al (Brooks) and Lou (C.K.), two Los Angeles patrolmen trying their best to protect and serve, sometimes failing at both. Ride with them as they patrol one of the biggest cities in the world, then go home with them and be glad you’re not married to either. This marks the first series regular role for Brooks, who has recurred on The Simpsons.

The Cops was originally developed and picked up to pilot at FX last year under Louis C.K.’s overall deal at FX Prods. for his Pig Newton production company. When FX opted not to proceed with the pilot, FX Prods. shopped it around as part of the company’s stepped-up efforts to supply outside networks. Under similar circumstances, another Pig Newton/FX Prods. comedy pilot originally set up at FX, One Mississippi, landed at Amazon, where it went to series and has been renewed for a second season.

When TBS stepped in to pick up The Cops, the network brought in Daniels, who executive produces another comedy series for the network, the live-action People of Earth, and has extensive animation experience from King of the Hill and The Simpsons.

Louis C.K. and Brooks, who previously worked together on the animated feature The Secret Life of Pets, and Daniels executive produce alongside Dino Stamatopoulos via Dan Harmon’s ‘s Starburns Industries and 3 Arts’ Dave Becky, Howard Klein.

“We have made the bold decision to put Louis C.K., Albert Brooks and Greg Daniels at the forefront of what is going to be a serious push into animated comedy for TBS in 2018,” said Brett Weitz, EVP of original programming for TBS. “I only hope these newbies know what they’re doing.”
    Full article: http://deadline.com/2017/01/louis-ck...er-1201886430/

Obviously it's too early to tell but this sounds a lot like that show "Murder Police" that Fox was gonna do, produced a whole season of, and then never let it see the light of day, only for the main characters from that show to make their TV debut as heads mounted to a wall in one of the last episodes of Brickleberry.

Still a long way to go between now and 2018 but who knows, maybe with CK and Brooks behind it this cartoon will actually get to air a single episode before the network scraps it.
    How to remaster

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Considering you started the thread for this show, maybe we'll be lucky and it'll turn out decent and run more than one season. I saw the press release yesterday and I'm not that impressed, but if it can actually see the light of day unlike Murder Police (to this day, only the opening got leaked), it could perform okay. Oh, and Greg Daniels is producing? Cool.

FX just seems to have a bad track record of keeping any animated shows on its network. Archer was supposed to air alongside Cassius and Clay last year, the latter of which was canned before it reached past the pilot, both being on FXX. Archer stayed on FX, got season 7 released on Blu-ray, and is now on FXX for its last 3 seasons. Other animated shows on FX just didn't have good luck, such as Unsupervised and Chozen. I think they're reaching budget constraints with animation.

TBS has American Dad. I'm probably mistaken, but isn't that their only current animated 'hit' for them? American Dad has appeared to perform better on the network since its initial cancellation from Fox. I'm guessing 'The Cops' will run alongside it.

Blog Entries

Well, they have two more animated shows coming up as mentioned in the article ("Tarantula" and "Final Space") so odds are they'll end up trying to make a full block out of those along with The Cops and American Dad, even if none of the new shows last long.

I wish TBS the best of luck in their investment with animated comedies. At this rate, they'll likely have more back-to-back animated shows in a block than Fox does now.

the show looks pretty good. (at least from the cast and producers) hopefully it'll see the light of day and it won't be cancelled immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Thread Information