Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tangled: The Series

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

@John95, just to clarify, like I already said I don't lump in ' The Way of the Willow' with 'Curses!' as a bad episode; the former I found a good one so I think you mistook me mention it for @Wile E. the Brain's dislike of it. For an season 1 episode I didn't like I'd pick 'One Angry Princess' for more or less the same reasons as 'Curses!' give or take; it was just pretty boring and uninteresting (I like the focus on the secondary character Attila but he should've gotten a stronger and less clichéd story).

Also, it's interesting (and strange) that 'Rapunzel: Day One' is before 'The Brothers Hook' in production order considering one of the gang leaves in the latter episode, yet is gone in the former (and even mentioned he's not there with them to help anymore) so had they used that order for airing it would have worked even less and just been confusing.

As for Cass' injured hand, maybe it comes into play like you and Wile are saying, but considering how horribly gnarly it looked I think they underreached with how little of an issue it became directly afterwards (she literally shouldn't even have managed to get all that heavy armor on, at least not so easily). At least I think we can agree on that it was maybe a mistake by the animators designing it to look that thin, blackened and claw-like. 
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-03-2019 at 12:11 AM.

@CousinMerl, I should've said that I consider The Way of the Willow to be a good episode. My bad.

I ain't too crazy about One Angry Princess either, mainly because I don't like Uncle Monty (who is the reason why I'll never consider Tuttle on AD! to be Richard Kind's worst character).

Yeah, I didn't think about that until afterwards. Though considering how the other characters don't do a whole lot in Rapunzel: Day One, I don't think it would've been hard for them to stick Hookfoot in there had they aired the episodes in production order.

Cass' hand  truly is a cringey sight. Be forewarned that we'll see it again in a later episode and it looks even worse than it did initially.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: TBD Rich Old Stewie: TBD The Movement: TBD Baby Stewie: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

@John95  Well, it didn't actually creep me out, I just described how bad it looked yet we're supposed to believe she can still use it reasonably well afterwards (clad in armor to boot; logically she should have trouble to even lift a sword due to how it looked). 

And yeah, not a fan of Uncle Monty either, especially with his silly grudge and dislike of Rapunzel. Also, I didn't like the episode because of that silly conclusion (to have Monty intentionally vandalize his own shop to blame it on his competitor would've been more interesting); furthermore, in the next episode everything was back to normal, including them having their separate shops, undoing the episode's ending. It was literally pointless.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-03-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Yeah, perhaps  the animators did go a bit too far in the design of the injured hand if she's still able to use it correctly, but I guess I give it a pass, it's still a pretty powerful moment in a powerful episode, I think. And at least, it wasn't made just for the sake of it, regarding Cass' behavior afterwards. 

I found One Angry Princess decent but I think it was, once again, more because it was pretty fun and because I liked the "police show" style, it was an amusing idea, than because of the not very interesting plot. Not a fan of Uncle Monty either, hence why I think Rapunzel's Enemy is one of the weakest episodes of season 1 (though I did like the fact they didn't take the easy solution about the relationship between him and Rapunzel; that's something Tangled did better than Amphibia, regarding the episode Cracking Mrs. Croaker).

'Rapunzel's Enemy' (not 'One Angry Princess') certainly had the better solution than 'Cracking Mrs. Croaker' (and Monty at least has a reason to dislike Rapunzel while Croaker had some lame non-reason to dislike Sprig), but it's still one of the series' weakest episodes to me.

Speaking of the lesser episodes I saw a couple more episodes today and 'You're Kidding Me!' is definitely one of my least favorites now. It's the usual "some adult characters get turned into kids" plot and the kid versions of the characters are made too annoying and troublesome, not to mention a lot of the story felt contrived to go on for a longer time;  it could have been solved literally right away by just have Rapunzel or Eugene bring the magic spinning top to the dining hall where the kids are and do the reverse spin there instead of forcing the kiddified friends to come with them to the playroom which makes everything difficult as they have to mess around trying to reel the kids in) . Maybe I'm overthinking it and I honestly don't really mind these kind of kiddification plots but it could have been pulled off better.

Fortunately the following 'Rapunzeltopia' was great and made up for it. I like this kind of dream illusion stories, such as this where the character is trapped in an perfect dream but keeps getting reminded things aren't right by a shard or version of their real self that pops up from time to time and having to snap out of it somehow. It just worked really well and also tied in directly with the looming threat from Zhan Teri (whom I guess will be the final big bad in the end).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-03-2019 at 02:50 PM.

@CousinMerl, That's more or less the reason why I didn't like You're Kidding Me! either. Neat idea in concept (and kid Cass at first is adorable), but ruined in execution by having the kid versions of Cass & Lance being as annoying as possible (though at least not to the same levels as Calliope). The episode also for the most part felt like padding until the reveal at the end that segues into Rapunzeltopia. And in that regard, it wasn't worth it for a small scene that easily could've been put into the previous episode.

Speaking of Rapunzeltopia, this was the episode I alluded to previously about Varian getting a scene in an episode that was ultimately cut. And I was expecting him to appear before knowing this since they made sure to reference him in the original synopsis.

And while what you said about Zhan Teri is a possibility... You might want to put a pin on that.

@CousinMerl, actually I talked about the ending of Rapunzel's Enemy (which is one of the weakest episodes in my opinion as I said), not the one of One Angry Princess, which is different if I remember well.

Rapunzeltopia is indeed one of the best episodes. The only reason I thinked You're Kidding Me was decent is because I thought it was fun to see Rapunzel and Eugene as "parents", and somehow making the point about being parents at this moment of their relationship. I didn't mind Lance and Cass as kids, though, they were a bit annoying but I've seen worse.

What are your favorite episodes so far besides Rapunzeltopia and The Great Tree ? Do you think there's more than one or two great episodes in this show ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    @CousinMerl, actually I talked about the ending of Rapunzel's Enemy (which is one of the weakest episodes in my opinion as I said), not the one of One Angry Princess, which is different if I remember well.
    Oof! My mistake. I meant to say 'Rapunzel's Enemy' (as that is the one about the conflict between her and Monty and the one to compare with the 'Amphibia' ep) but I accidentally put 'One Angry Princess' since we've been talking about that one for a bit. Changed it to the correct one.

By the way, I do think there are more than two great episodes, don't get me wrong.

From the first season I think 'Queen For A Day' was quite good (here the show found love, I think), 'The Quest For Varian' & 'Secret of The Sundrop (really that whole last arc of the season). Some other random eps I'd pick are 'Cassandra V. Eugene', 'Great Expotations', 'Big Brothers of Corona' & 'The Way Of The Willow' (which I found it interesting and entertaining).

Of season two I really liked the opening episode of the second season 'Beyond the Corona Walls' and the following 'The Return Of Quaid'. 'Forest Of No Return' was also a good one (reminded me of A:TLA's 'The Swamp'), 'Vigor The Visionary' was fun (and had no melodrama or angst; just the leads on an adventure) & 'Rapunzel: Day One'.

'Peril On The High Seas' was entertaining as well now that I think of it (a good villain team-up episode), though it felt rushed and should've been a double length episode. You said you disliked this one, @John95; why so?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-26-2020 at 08:29 AM.

@CousinMerl, It was just way too repetitive for the majority of the episode: Eugene and Max argue, they try to escape but fail. Rinse, repeat for roughly 15 minutes only getting somewhat interesting in it's last act, and you have an episode that while not the worst, is still not a good one to mark the return from a 6+ month hiatus.

http://collider.com/rapunzels-tangle...-release-date/

Well, it's official. The show returns next month on the 7th!

In the meantime, I'll be rewatching episodes mostly from the first season only as what happens at the end of Season 2 puts everything past the first into a questionable position, especially since this season from the sounds of it will continue upon what happened in the finale.

Showing up again to tell I've finished up season 2 now with the last two episodes seen. Saw the next to last one a few days ago and the final one just now. Some really good stuff in these.

'Lost And Found' was a good and pretty fun episode. Liked the plot with Rapunzel and Eugene having to go through the giant stone labyrinth to get the final piece of the scroll, interesting how they made Vigor the Visionary this important to the story & the way they worked in the previously mentioned legend character Lord Demanitus into the story with the reveal and all was a fun one ( and it's certainly amusing to hear Tim Dalton's voice coming from a goofy monkey ). Maybe they overdid the whole thing with Eugene essentially willfully trigger a trap that sends a stone monster after them (kinda forced) but it all worked out in the end. Also really think the final reveal with the fortune that tells Eugene that someone in the group will betray them was intriguing, especially with him looking at each one and wondering which one. Good stuff overall.

'Destinies Collide' was a solid double length finale. It had interesting mystery, intensity, action and a bit of good humor. It was a little slow at first but quickly kept amping up everything and got approriately more serious and dangerous, leading up to an exciting climax where not everything goes as planned. What maybe stood out the most to me was that one reveal I did not see coming  with the dark king Edmund turning out to be Eugene's father (strange how I managed to not get this spoiled); it added an interesting dynamic and I liked their interactions, though at first I wondered if the king made it all up as a ruse though it seems legit now . It was enjoyable.

The final bit with Rapunzel, Eugene & Cass getting to the crystal and what happened in the end with the reveal of whom the betrayer was it wasn't that surprising as I did see it coming and I didn't find it so shocking, but it was still a good and interesting cliffhanger. To elaborate on the betrayal,  they hinted to it being Cass with not only the last bit of the previous episode where she has that smirk as Eugene looks at her but in 'Rapunzeltopia' with her being lost in some mysterious doorway portal and at the end showing up again as the doorway appears to let her out). I really don't think she does it voluntarily and lied from the beginning; it feels like she's either brainwashed, possessed or manipulated somehow during her trip into that other dimension or whatever. Someone or something likely got into her head and just pulled the right strings to use her .

We'll soon see what happes next and that will indeed be interesting. I actually think the last moments possibly improved the show a little as it's not so clear cut what has been going on and what will but hopefully the betrayer of the gang isn't lost forever and can be returned to normal somehow. It would suck if they got rid of the character as a villain; would be too much of a downer. Bring on season 3.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-26-2020 at 08:30 AM.

@CousinMerl, Well in that case, yep, there you have it. What I've been alluding to for awhile now about the show doing the first from this year of random betrayal from a key character basically for the sake of unneeded drama. Even leaving out how like Moon  Cass  was one of my favorites, it's the same problem as with what happened on Star vs. the Forces of Evil where it feels like a total contradiction (her line about how she's still mad at Rapunzel but she'll get over it) and pretty much makes you look back on many of the past episodes and think "Well, what was the point then?".

The only two things I can give  Cass'  betrayal over Moon's is that it was somewhat foreshadowed (though not enough for me to not consider it to be a Shocking Swerve), and that we didn't learn of her motivation right away unlike with Moon where learning of her motive worked against her and just made her look worse.

There's many a theory floating around about what lead to this moment. This isn't the first time I've heard mentions of possession and/or brain washing, and I've got my own super weak theory which is that it's a clone and that the real Cass never came out of the door in Rapunzeltopia. Though the one that has the most meat is one I saw on the What An Idiot page for Disney Television Animation where it possibly stems from the worsening condition of her hand and her inability to open up to others. Her turning out to be Gothel's daughter is another one I've been hearing. Someone dismissed this as "Nah, too obvious" meanwhile I'm thinking "And yet that's more than likely what will happen...". 

Currently, the only thing I really look forward for Season 3 is Red & Angry's inevitable return (it's the final season so they're likely gonna try and wrap up as many loose ends as possible), everything else unfortunately is greatly stained by Season 2's ending. I don't hate or even dislike the show based on where it is currently, but as I alluded to before, I now understand why so many people have a problem with the show's Cerebus Syndrome as I feel this was a prime case of the show doing something simply for the sake of being depressing. And I was still with it until those final moments of the finale, so it says a lot for how 30 seconds really can make one go total 180 on it.

By the way CousinMerl, what's your opinion on the fact that Zhan Tiri will be voiced by a woman? I'll admit I wasn't expecting that and I will actually give them credit for that decision.
    Last edited by John95; 09-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.

@John95, Points taken on your take on the character's betrayal. I don't fully agree but you have some points in that it does feel a little forced, though I'm still sticking with the theory of an outer force/corrupting influence of some sort.  I cannot buy that Cass was always evil and kept it to herself for this long (the doorway portal is just one big warning flag for me with her exit from it basically in the last second of the seashell house's destruction; something is not quite right) .

It bears some resemblance to the Moon debacle of 'Star vs. the Forces of Evil' but it was done much, much better due to the foreshadowing and building up with the hint that one in the gang was gonna betray the others. In the instance of Moon (and this includes SPOILERS for that show for anyone who didn't see it) , they had an entire scene where she turns the villain down when the latter offers to serve her and doesn't want to be part of it, only to later do the opposite as the writers seemed to suddenly change their mind and had Moon become an extremist off-screen who's helping the villain as means to make the monsters, good people, leave, and after she finds out she's been tricked we are supposed to forgive her (both for her racist deed and for being stupid as she thought she could control the big bad). Why even have her turn away helping the bad guy if she's gonna do it later?

That was just for the sake of a twist (season 4 of Star Vs. was such a mess; maybe the talk about control of the show being wrested out of Daron Nefcys hands are true), but I don't feel it's the same here with  Cass , which feels more planned and if it's due to that outside force like it doesn't betray the character (especially not so suddenly). I'd like to think the Tangled writers are smarter. Anyway, it could probably have been done more smoothly or differently but it doesn't really taint the previous episodes for me. I'll be watching the continuation (which seem to start right where they left off) with great interest.

Also, I really hope Angry & Red does show up again; those two are maybe my two favorite character's who've only appeared once or twice and their story is one of the most interesting (also it gave Eugene's side of things more development as said and is aside from any group drama which the show a bit much of this season); still feel that they maybe should've accompanied the group. The new guest characters the article you posted sound interesting too but I hope they won't overstuff the season and go overboard with filler instead of properly start tying up the loose ends (unlike Star Vs. in that mess of a last season).

Zhan Tiri being voiced by a woman is a decision I like too; it sounds neat. It's not the first time an explicitly male character has been given voice by a woman and I hope that the voice suits the character and makes him properly creepy and menacing (I'm expecting something raspy-like). Sounds like he will be the final villain to me.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.

@CousinMerl, And that's pretty much what I said as well. While I hate that both events occurred the way they did, at least it was given the smallest amount of foreshadowing here while no such thing happened on Star vs. the Forces of Evil making the whole thing there feel like a complete contradiction (as well as many other reasons we've already explained in the past for why it didn't work).

As I might've said in a previous post, someone who works on the show commented that  Cass'  betrayal was planned as far back as 2014 meaning that they've likely had the show mapped out from start to finish for awhile. Though that still doesn't justify how the event (even if it was foreshadowed) felt a little too Shocking Swerve for my liking and ultimately puts the show in a questionable spot at the moment.

The guest stars that stood out the most for me were Sean Giambrone & Khary Paton due to both of them being part of Big Hero 6: The Series and/or earlier works (Khary voicing Cyborg from Teen Titans).

Even if  Cass  isn't the villain in the premiere (I'm half expecting it to be Varian), we know she'll be back around the halfway point thanks to an image that leaked last year for a script titled  Cassandra's Revenge  with a production code of 413/414.

Even if there is filler, the episode count for this season is supposedly an extended 36 which means that they should have more than enough time to wrap things up in a way that doesn't feel rushed when compared to Star vs. the Forces of Evil. I noticed they mentioned Varian which hints to them at least rectifying what happened with him.

@John95, if it's true that it's gonna be an 1/3rd more episodes I'd be fine with some filler, but hopefully it'll be good ones and not any with forced melodrama and a lot of interpersonal conflicts (those usually turn out pretty bland and/or boring).

Also, I've got a few questions for you and @Wile E. the Brain:

- Regarding the season 2 finale,  what did you think of think of king Edmund turning out to be Eugene's dad? And did it work or not work for you? 

- What did you think of the opening arc of season 2 with the city of Vardaros (and the Baron/Stalyan storyline)? I thought it was one of the series' strongest and very much did explored the world of the show a little more and added some interesting elements.

- Season 1 or season 2? Also best and worst episode overall so far?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-09-2019 at 05:28 AM.

@CousinMerl, glad you appreciated the season finale as much. In my opinion this also was a very solid episode, and we have the same point if view regarding  Cass' betreyal. It didn't bothered me like Moon's betrayal in SVTFOE did, because while it looks like it was a bit ass pulled as for Moon, here I'm pretty sure there's a good foreshadowing. Like you said, there's the ending of Rapunzeltopia that leaved us with a number of questions regarding what happened to Cass, and this has probably something to do with her betrayal, in addition with her own insecurities. I guess we'll have to wait until season 3 to see if this was definitely a smart move from the writers or not. By the way, I do expect season 3 will bring back Varian because it was clearly not over regarding his arc. 

Speaking of season 3, once again, we'll have the stupid "one episode a day" routine, for two weeks, from October 7 to 11 and from October 15 to 18. Maybe Nick's airing schedules aren't that bad after all... But anyway.

I thinked  this reveal worked pretty well. Maybe a bit easy (you know, the classic "brigand was actually the son of a king" routine) but it added some really interesting interactions and it added something to Eugene. 

I liked this opening arc though I think it's far from being great. I like how it expands the world of the show but Beyond the Corona Walls had a pacing problem and the long "proposal misunderstanding" is overused, The Return of Quaid is pretty cliché (though I really liked the idea of the retired sheriff itself but I'm less into the execution, with the fake robbery to help Quaid getting his confidence back and all) and I dind't cared that much for the plot of Goodbye and Goodwill. That being said, all of them were decent episodes at least.

I don't know which season I prefered. Both of them have their ups and downs, whether it's the storyline of the episodes themselves. Favorite episode of mine so far would be Rapunzel and the Great Tree, and my less favorite, as I said before, is The Way of the Willow.

@Wile E. the Brain, nice to hear your thoughts on my questions.

I sort of admit that the reveal in the season 2 finale felt a bit cheap and convenient but it did work due to the interesting chemistry and interactions between the two (which sold it to me.

I agree that the Vardaros arc was flawed. 'Beyond the Corona Walls' did have some pacing issues but the flow was alright to me and the misunderstanding while too familiar and overlong led to a neat action scene (though I wish they'd kept the Baron as he could have been an good recurring villain; I do think it was shoddy how we never found out what happened to him), 'The Return Of Quaid' was clichéd but decent in hindsight (though most in this show is really clichéd so it didn't bother me) but 'Goodbye And Goodwill' I didn't care for it (did they really have to do a repeat of that early S1 episode?) but it was still one of the more interesting arcs due to the exploration and the "city of thieves, thugs and jerks" setting (and this was before they dipped their toes into too much forced drama and conflict between the group)

Choosing between the seasons is difficult since both has, as you said, their ups and downs but I'd say the second for the overall more interesting content. Best episode for me are 'Queen For A Day', 'Secret Of The Sundrop', 'Great Tree' and 'Rapunzeltopia' though 'Destinies Collide' was solid too (of the filler episodes I'd say my favorite was 'Vigor The Visionary' if I had to pick). Worst was either 'One Angry Princess' or 'Cursed!' (though a lot of the first half of season 1 episodes were lame too as said).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    but 'Goodbye And Goodwill' I didn't care for it (did they really have to do a repeat of that early S1 episode?)
    You said it. Actually, I used to think both of them were the same episode, just to say how much of a copy Goodbye and Goodwill looks like (and the former episode itself is OK but nothing special as well). Like you said, the episodes themselves weren't that great, it's mostly the concept around them that was interesting. And I wouldn't say most of the show is completely cliché but a certain part of it is, that's true. Though being cliché is not always a bad thing, that depends on the execution.

Yeah overall the second season had more interesting content, considering how it expands the world of the show, but it was pretty clumsy at times. I think it shares a lot of it qualities and problems with the first one, because the first season also was really interesting the more we approached to its end. To pick up some other of my favorite episodes, there are Queen for a Day, The Quest for Varian, Happiness Is... and Rapunzeltopia (and Under Raps as for my favorite filler episode maybe). And among the worst, Rapunzel's Enemy and There's Something about Hook Foot.

It's been so long since I've watched any episode from Season 1, but favorites from what I recall are Under Raps, Big Brothers of Coronia, Max's Enemy and Not in the Mood. Favorites from Season 2 for me are Vigor the Visionary, Rapunzel and the Great Tree and Rapunzeltopia.

I'm not really sure which season I'd pick either, as already stated both have their highs and lows. Though maybe I would've said Season 2 prior to the finale putting everything past the first season into a position that will ultimately be made or broken depending on how Season 3 plays out.

One more thing I probably should've mentioned sooner about why  Cass'  betrayal bothers me is how it seemed like an excuse to justify why she's not at the wedding in Tangled Ever After. I always assumed that it was because she was off on an assignment or something. Someone I talked to on TVTropes said that they felt like this was why  Varian's  Face-Heel Turn also happened, but as I mentioned before the press synopsis seems to hint to them at least rectifying that.

And I was wondering if that was gonna be the case with the show's scheduling when I saw that the premiere was airing on a Monday. So to learn that it is does disappoint me somewhat especially since I said before how earlier this year it and SVtFoE were the only two Disney shows that seemed to get it right in terms of airing more than one episode a week. There's also how it'll make the inevitable hiatus it goes into that much more annoying if it's a huge dump of episodes than three months of nothing like DuckTales and Big Hero 6.

@Wile E. the Brain, on the topic of favorite episodes, that whole last run of season 1, from 'Queen For A Day' (one of my favorites too) to 'Secret Of The Sundrop', was to me maybe the strongest run of episodes so far, all tied together in an pretty solid arc.

@John95, you have some points about the setting of the show. the fact that they had already made that 'Tangled Ever After' special (which I haven't seen yet) a year or two after the movie and then make this show, set between them both, changes a lot and that makes the showrunners have to get the show together and cannot leave any openings to not contradict anything in that special.

Really, I'd say this show came out way later than it should have. Had they had it premiere a couple of years after the movie (instead of 'Tangled Ever After') it has changed everything. The show feels like an afterthought. Maybe they should just have had it set after 'Ever After' wich would have given them more freedom. I dunno why they passed on that and made it more complicated, though (having Rapunzel and Eugene married wouldn't have mattered).

Also, was it just me who didn't fully get into the stuff on the island with the German-accented leaf lilliputians mid-season 2? I dunno why but I don't think they worked as well as they could have.

@CousinMerl, It also doesn't help when you have certain characters put in life threatening situations on the show that you know they'll ultimately get out of because you see them at the wedding!

Nah, I can totally understand not being into the stuff that happened on the island. There were parts about it that I liked, but it did reek of padding and much like the Vardaros arc there was an episode that clearly could've been cut out and nothing would've been lost from it's removal (There's Something About Hook Foot, even though I thought it was honestly OK). But at least you didn't see these episodes first run where Happiness Is was the final episode to air in 2018 before returning six months later with two back to back weak episodes.

And if it wasn't obvious from my hint, I'll also agree with asking what the point even was regarding Goodbye and Goodwill. The stuff in Vardaros was clearly over after two episodes, so this episode ultimately felt superfluous and didn't really seem to accomplish anything except showing me an entire town (mostly) populated with people that have Uncle Monty's already unlikable personality!

By the way, which Season 1 episode is it that you compare this one to?

@John95, the one I referred to was 'Rapunzel's Enemy' with the Goodwill festival that had the gopher grab game (and which was also the first one with Uncle Monty).

Also, while I don't have a problem with the population of Vardaros being cranky and bitter misers (as it is a town of criminals and other bad people after all), 'Goodbye And Goodwill' was pointless; the arc had a natural ending with Quaid coming back to clean up in town and turn it into something good (with some help from the reformed Vex) so that final episode just unnecessarily dragged the story out (and we already knew that no one in town liked Rapunzel for some petty reason and her trying to forcibly lift their spirits with the festival was forced). Also, would it have killed for the people to actually start to show a bit of appreciation toward her after she helped bring Quaid back into action?

By the way, opinions the Vex character? Didn't like her much at first and thought she was ok at best (the common clichéd irksome greedily lazy character who demands to be paid in cash before doing the slightest thing) but she got better and I warmed up to her towards the end (though sort of wished Red & Angry were there to tell her to stop being an ass earlier on). I hope we'll maybe see her and Quaid in the last season.

Also, that reminds me: your thoughts think of Adira? She was one of the new characters for the season I did like, though the usage of her as sort of a Game Genie by popping up to help the gang when stuff became difficult and then going away felt a little cheap, but I didn't get that feeling toward the end when they worked her better into the story (also, what is the show's love for characters who resents being touched? From my knowledge there's Adira, Vex and I think Cass too at times).

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    @John95, the one I referred to was 'Rapunzel's Enemy' with the Goodwill festival that had the gopher grab game (and which was also the first one with Uncle Monty).
    Oh, that was this episode you were talking about. I actually thinked about Challenge of the Brave personally (hence why I said it was an OK episode while I don't like Rapunzel's Enemy), my bad.

(I'll answer to your questions later, just wanted to makes things clear about this point for the time I have, aha.)

@CousinMerl, Finally getting around to replying to this.

Ah, that episode. Yeah, the first episode of the series to be mediocre at best, which makes the fact that it's the second one overall after the pilot movie all the more sad... The similarities between the two episodes are pretty clear once the comparison's been made.

Vex was alright. From what I remember she reminded me too much of Cassandra with some shades of Angry mixed in. Not a bad character, but just a lesser version of two better ones.

Adira was cool, and I pretty much agree with what you had to say regarding her.

One last thing, I was watching Big Brothers of Coronia last night and it had a quick line regarding the partnership between Attila and Uncle Monty that was formed at the end of One Angry Princess.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Tangled is returning for a third season next week. Too bad Disney Channel is airing it at a crappy timeslot on noon, where the rating will be very low. (Big City Greens and Ducktales are the only cartoons they're treating decently).
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Well, i guess I'll keep things rolling on the premiere which I just got done watching, but I'll make sure to keep things vague enough so as not to ruin anything:

* The motive behind  Cass' betrayal  is revealed, and we also find out what she saw in that door in Rapunzeltopia. Unfortunately, the show loses a little bit of points for the fact that they went the way of the most obvious of the possible theories I'd been hearing for the last few months. However... It's pulled off in a way that actually makes Cass become a Tragic Villain and avoids worsening her case like it did when Moon did something similar.
    * I was legit taken aback by who was responsible for Corona being taken over (or rather, half of who was responsible), especially since it calls back to an episode from all the way back in Season 1 that's been previously described as filler.
    * A major wrong is rectified. Not gonna say what, but it should be obvious based on past discussions.

Overall, I'd say that this was a decent start after several months of uncertainty regarding the show's quality starting from the last few moments of Season 2. That said, the dark cloud that was spawned by  Cass' betrayal  lingers for the time being (especially considering how we likely won't see her again until next year if they don't plan to air any more episodes after next week), but I am intrigued to see what happens in the remaining episodes for this week plus the next since none of them having descriptions leaves it completely open as to guessing what might happen.

So nice that the show is back (and luckily I was late to the game to watch the show so I didn't have to wait long unlike you @John95). I had hoped to watch the season premiere yesterday but couldn't find it. Now, however, I have managed to view it and I like it; a good start to yhe new season. And just a warning that there's a lot of unmarked spoilers below.

The Cass ordeal was rightfully addressed from the get go with the flashback to what really happened to her once she had entered the doorway portal. Finally we got the explanation to why she turned bad (also saw her past as a child and how the captain adopted her) and while I definitely understand her motivation now the reason felt pretty shallow and weak (petty jelaousy) and it felt like she really lean into the Evil Feels Good trope and seem to enjoy being a villain (and the reveal about her being Gothel's daughter was obvious; it was one of my first guesses). Would have preferred another reason like switched with an evil duplicate or brainwashed but the way they wrote it was fine.

Rapunzel and Cass parting ways was well handled (great duet song, by the way) and I liked the former not wanting to deal with the fallout, even far into the episode as they go back to Corona, speaking of which I think the balloon suddenly showing up with the mime thug piloting it was too convenient (deus ex machina?). Felt like it would've been better if they had made it across the chasm somehow and then after a while the balloon shows up it would've been more natural. Corona now being empty, where most citizens having been rounded up to toil for crystals for the king and queen, whom have been brainwashed by the invaders who have taken over (I was really surprised it was that Andrew guy from season 1 and a gang of his countrymen; liked how they brought him back and Eugene's lampshading of it was fun).

I think the strongest aspect was the return of Varian and how he was utilized. I think it was a good move to have him be a part of the takeover party with the bad guys as the tech & science guy but not realizing how rotten his boss is (himself still being this confused kid). Rapunzel trying to appeal to him actually reaching out to him (and him turning against Andrew when he understands that the guy wants to murder a lot of people, not wanting to kill anyone himself but rather intended to make them forget so that he could be loved) was a neat little scene and the two teaming up to save the royal couple and the kingdom was solid stuff.

Some neat action with the airship fight and the barrels of explosive potion & Eugene & Lance saving the royals from the speeding carriage. The ending was good and & Rapunzel finally opening up about Cass, not to forget her finally holding up her promise to help Varian get his father Quirin out of the amber with her newfound encantation was a very rewarding scene (I guess this is the major wrong you were talking about, John95?). Varian redeemed himself so I hope he's forgiven (and he'll probably go back). He showed that he has a hart and a soft side while Cass and her betrayal feels more darkly premeditated; hopefully she'll have some boundaries she's not willing to cross like him, but seeing as I don't sense much conflict in her I cannot say I'm too hopeful).

Anyhow, a good start to the last season. had some issues with it like the not too surprising twist about Cass' past, the balloon thing and a few others (like where was the royal guards? They were nowhere to be found and hat none of the good guys even asked about them) but the positives were stronger and it was an enjoyable one overall. I'm ooking forward to where they will go next.

Speaking of the next episodes, I heard they were gonna burn through several ones rather quickly kinda sucks, but what can you do?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.

@CousinMerl, The only benefit that  Cass' betrayal  has over Moon's is that her reasoning/motive made me feel bad for the former, whereas the latter's reasoning threw away all the goodwill she had especially since her motive just made her look petty and stupid. Other than that,  I'm still upset that it happened and seemingly for no reason other than "Well, we need some reason to justify why she isn't at the wedding!". That one concept artist may claim that this was a decision planned as far back as 2014, but I'm not convinced that nowhere between those 5 years nobody looked at it and said "Maybe we shouldn't do this" because as is it still currently makes you look back on several past episodes and think "Then what was the point?". Evil clone was my initial theory, but I abandoned it after awhile feeling it was pretty weak. Part of me still thinks that there might be some brainwashing involved. 

Yep,  Varian is what I was referring to in terms of them rectifying a huge wrong since a lot of people didn't take too kindly to his turn to begin with and I've already stated that I found the circumstances behind it to be pretty egregious. It took them almost two years, but better late than never I guess. I also couldn't help but notice that they dodged the fact that Rapunzel never sent anyone out to check up on Varian prior to him reappearing in The Alchemist Returns

Xavier said that the guards were sent out to look for Rapunzel and company, and that they'd yet to return. It's a pretty brief mention so it's easy to see why you might've missed it.

Also I'll quickly sum up today's episode which I've already seen as it was on the site I normally watch new episodes from within an hour before it aired. It was alright, reminded me of some of the more fluffier episodes of early Season 1. It's biggest problem though is that it suffers from a twist that's unfortunately seen coming from a mile away and most of the time you're just left waiting for it to happen. Not the worst episode out there, but kinda left a bit to be desired.

My biggest takeaway from it will actually be the stinger that happens right before the credits that I wasn't expecting.

@John95, I haven't seen today's episode yet but with your description it seems my thoughts were correct about it being kind of a basic episode like from the lull I experienced in early season 1. With all the intensity of the season opener it felt like the next one would be more of a simple one.

And yeah, Xavier giving a passing mention about the guards really passed me by. Now that I think of that it feels like kind of a shoddy reason to keep them out of the plot as unavailable to help. Why not just have the good guys ask and getting the answer that they were enslaved as well? Would've been really easy to have that.

Also, what are your extended thoughts on  Cass' being Gothel's daughter ? Agree or disagree with me on that? Even though I like the tie in with the movie I still think they should've been more original than doing this old thing (and didn't the reason behind the betrayal feel a little weak? I mean, to me it sounds like it's out of pure jelaousy).

(Oh, and what was your feelings on the balloon rescue thing I mentioned? Was it too cheap and sort of like an deus ex machina?)
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.

@CousinMerl, In regards to  Cass being Gothel's daughter. Man, it's like the original movie didn't make the latter evil enough now we can add abandoning her own birth daughter to her list of evil deeds! But besides that, yeah this being the reason for Cass' betrayal is as weak as Moon's reason for her betrayal. Again, me actually feeing bad for Cass is the only advantage it's got. They would've better off with any of the other possible reasons like mine (an evil clone) or being a manifestation of the worsening condition of her hand and her inability to open up to others (possible brainwashing). Again, was this never questioned by anyone in the five years between conception to air? 

Yep, the balloon thing felt a little cheap as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if they said that it was the only thing they could think of in order for them to get back.

EDIT: All the remaining episodes for this week plus the next now how their synopsis' revealed:

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
    Rapunzel and Eugene’s friends Angry and Red return to Corona permanently; their return quickly becomes a nightmare when the kingdom is stalked by a werewolf.
    The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Soone
    After discovering a map to a mythical treasure, Rapunzel believes that holding a race to claim it will be just the pick-me-up the people of Corona need.
    No Time Like the Past
    An ancient hourglass sends Rapunzel and Pascal back in time, and their only hope of returning to the present is in the hands of a teenage Lance and Eugene.
    Beginnings
    As Rapunzel struggles with Cassandra's betrayal, the princess recounts the story of how she and Cassandra first became friends.
    The King and Queen of Hearts
    Rapunzel finds that her parents' memory loss has made them forget how they fell in love; things get complicated when King Trevor tries to steal the Queen's heart.
    Day of the Animals
    Max, Pascal and the animals must rescue Rapunzel and the gang from being trapped forever in a magical prison.
    Be Very Afraid
    When Corona is overcome by a new strain of rocks that induces fearful visions, Rapunzel teams up with Varian to put an end to the new threat.

No Time Like the Past and Beginnings were the episodes that intrigued me the most based on just their titles, and now more so knowing their plots (the latter's especially). The Lost Treasure of Herz Der Soone sounds like it'll be another fluff episode much like today's and I thought the same would be said for Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?, but it's synopsis hints to that not being the case.
    Last edited by John95; 10-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Thread Information