Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Owl House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Owl House

I thought we'd have a thread for this new and upcoming Disney series, originally scheduled for release this year but delayed to next year.

The Owl House is a horror-comedy series that follows Luz, a self-assured teenage human girl who accidentally stumbles upon a portal to the Demon Realm. There she befriends a rebellious witch, Eda, and an adorably tiny warrior, King. Despite not having magical abilities, Luz pursues her dream of becoming a witch by serving as Eda’s apprentice at the Owl House and ultimately finds a new family in an unlikely setting.
    Maybe the one animated show I'm anticipating most right now as it does seem interesting. I like the sound of the premise and the art style, animation & character designs look eyecatching (sort of like a mix between 'Gravity Falls', 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil' & some magical anime). I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good and worthwhile one.

I read the most recent news that it's set to premiere in January (not too far away so that's good).

hey!!! looks impressive...Disney's world was one of my dream world to live in...can't wait for the release...

I saw that they have released another preview clip for Comic-Con, though I probably won't watch it to be spoiled. I think I'd like to keep the show itself (outside of the trailers/teasers and opening & ending sequences) a surprise until it airs unless I decide otherwise

Giving a shout out to @Wile E. the Brain since you asked me about the show earlier. Your thoughts on it and the content released so far?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-05-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, yeah, I saw it. Well, not the sneak peek because I want to keep the show as a surprise too, but I saw it was released. I also saw the series will air in January and I'm genuinely excited about it.

And Alex Hirsch being one of the main characters is definitely a nice touch.

Nice to finally hear from you in this thread, @Wile E. the Brain (and interesting that you too are also not watching that preview clip with footage from the show).

I like that Alex Hirsch is involved (though kind of undestandable as the creator is his girlfriend, I think) and as for his character I hope he won't be this annoying Scrappy or Princess Ponyhead-like character that viewers will quickly come to hate but an likeable, maybe endearing character.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1FFiT51lg

New trailer, plus the premiere date which is January 10th. Additionally the show's already been renewed for a second season.

Probably should've posted on here earlier to say that the previews I've seen got me hooked and I'll definitely be checking this show out. Wendi Malick and Alex Hirsch being part of the main cast is already a plus.

Also, the fact that the series starts on a Friday seems to indicate that it'll be airing weekly which is more preferable, last thing I want is a repeat of how badly Disney dropped the ball with Season 1 of Amphibia.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: TBD Coma Guy: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: TBD Downtown: TBD 4/27/20: TBD A Starboy is Born: TBD

So have you guys given this show a shot ? I saw the first two episodes and so far I think it has the potential to be a very good show. (Some spoilers)

The pilot was a very nice appetizer. First off, I'm glad the show decided to be a 22 minutes one. Though this first episode felt a bit two-in-one, it's a satisfying introduction. Luz is already a very endearing character, the Owl Witch and King are very funny and likeable and overall it's a solid message, it's okay to be a "weirdo"-style which I always enjoy. A lot of good quotes in this one too ("Did I die ? Did I go in the bad place ?", "This is clearly not the PG fantasy world I always dreamed about", and I also laugh out loud at the whole scene "You won't get away with this"). The rescuing at the castle was entertaining, I also enjoy the reveal about King's "crown" (usually I'm a bit tired of this kind of reveal about an important object being something ridiculous but I liked how it lead us to a very likeable Owl Witch saying that if this crown is important for King, it's important for her, it's very nice to see the bond they have). And the ending is interesting because it's a bit of a change since here, Luz has the choice to stay in this universe or not (instead of being stuck in here) and that can be the way to deepen her character, and for her to take a view on herself on her own (though I'm confused about the fact she's able to communicate with her mother with her phone from the place she's into; does this magical world even have a telephone network ? How it's possible to communicate with the other world from here ?).

And if this episode felt a bit too optimist for Luz, well the second one is pretty great because it's based on how optimist the first episode felt to be very surprising. With Luz being convinced that she's some kind of chosen one because she landed into this universe, the episode plays with that and that allows it to deliver an important message about the fact that nothing should be taken for granted just because you have landed in a special place; you can be someone special but you have to work hard for it. It's a brilliant lesson and the fact it kind of answers to the very optimist side of the pilot is delightfully clever. Also, very touching ending between the main characters. And with this two episodes, we have a nice view of this strange universe and I cannot wait to see how the staff will deepen it.

I'm a bit quick with these reviews but overall those two episodes are a very nice introduction. Great animation, solid pacing, good humor, endearing characters, great voice acting, relatable messages and of course interesting universe, this show has the potential to be pretty impressive.

I actually haven't seen either episode yet, despite having looked forward to this series. I had put it off just a bit and chose to wait for a good moment to do so (focusing on an returning show instead) but have felt the urge and draw to watch and cannot wait any longer so I will do that shortly and return with my thoughts on the beginning of the series.

Regarding the reactions, I have seen some skepticism and that the first episode isn't so good but it seems its pretty well recieved overall and the second one is said to be a clear improvement. I wouldn't be worried about the start being rocky as it's rare that any show hit it off perfectly at the start (it even took several episodes for 'Gravity Falls' to get really good).

I understand if some people find the first episode not so good. To me it's perfectly fine but has some flaws and the second one is a clear improvement for some of them (and it even uses one of them for the sake of its message, which is interesting). And like you said, it's rare when a show really hits the mark with its first episodes (even amazing shows like Gravity Falls or Avatar).

Junior Camper

I am liking the show so far enough to keep watching. Not sure why Bless the Harts isn't getting any love though.

Blog Entries

it's a really cute show that has lots of gravity falls-esque humor and feel (not a shock considering the crew), although it's obviously going thru the introductory motions at the moment. really hope it doesn't keep up the plot cycle of "Luz casts Ida's teachings aside, gets into problem, learns lesson" bc that'll get old very, very fast.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Junior Camper

I've been enjoyng this new show. Eda is my favorite character and King is probably second (they got Alex Hirsch to voice him OMG). It's funny and interesting despite being unoriginal.

I finally watched the first three episodes (that have aired so far) and overall, I think it's a pretty solid start to a show that looks very promising but even so far is both fun, endearing and enjoyable & well paced despite it's probably not the most original series out there (definitely feel that a lot of things have been borrowed from other sources). I really like the premise and the setting (the old "human main character teleported to strange fantasy world" always works) and the setting is interesting and intriguing (the Boiling Isles being located among the skeletal remains of a giant being feels quite original) and the whole weird and a little creepy tone that it has going on for it seems all good so far (great designs of the various odd creatures.

The lead characters are quite likeable; Luz came off better than I thought she would, being quite weird and quirky in all the best ways (she's adorable and a bit funny), Eda is pretty great (I like her personality, rebellious attitude and the deep voice that always make her sound kinda sarcastic. She reminds me of Grunkle Stan of 'Gravity Falls' fame, only much nicer, not as much of an jerk & an looker) & King is pretty amusing as the small creature sidekick with a big personality (though his voice, provided by Alex Hirsch, sounds a bit too much like Bill Cipher, also from 'Gravity Falls' so maybe they should have opted for a different voice? Just a small nitpick so not an issue, though).

The first episode introduced the story and character quite nicely and was a decent one overall (I very much appreciated to make it properly set the stage chronologically without rushing into things right away like Gravity Falls). The start of Luz's story was done well (as was her introduction of an daydreamed with big imagiantion) and it progressed well with the change from the real world to the fantasy world, the main cast were introduced well and the plot about the castle break-in to get Kings' "crown" and the intro of the villainous Warden was a fine one. Good animation and some funny lines and nice jokes and gags throughout. I was a little worried with how it seemed like it was going to be Eda having the key to the human world and playing keep-away from Luz for a big part (or entirety) of the series to take advantage of her services, but luckily they got the ending right with Eda keeping her word that she'd give the key to Luz and I liked Luz actually deciding to stay despite having the choice to go home (and now she doesn't have to go to the summer camp); I'd have to agree with @Wile E. the Brain that it's a litte odd how she has phone reception in this fantasy land and can text her mother but yeah, it's a magic pararell universe. Good start but easy to see the best is to come.

Second episode was an improvement and had some good character development, both for Luz and Eda as well as the bond that is starting to form between the two of them. Nice plot with Luz being impatient and wanting to on a quest, getting a magic "chosen one" map from a wizard during an errand & setting out on itall while Eda understands something is amiss and follows Luz to save her from the danger the girl put herself in. I liked the whole twist thing with Luz being kept in sort of an hallucinatory world (even though it felt predictable with Eda's warning about people with sandals and the wizard wearing sandals), some good jokes (the "snake oil" one was surprisingly adult even for a Disney show, I felt) & the ending was neat (and had some good, well animated action); great end with Eda eating the tiny villain squid like it was nothing and the characters going on about their business afterwards (the message here with not rushing into things to be special was indeed a good one).

Third episode was even better and probably the best one so far (now it feels like they are on the right path). Luz wanting to learn magic and hearing about the magic school from Eda and sneaking off to visit it was a good plot. I liked her befriending and helping this lonely "loser" witch student (Willow) and the school was a nice setting (getting Hogwarts vibes). The "abomination" school project was fun, Willow and Gus are likeable & while Amity seems like this typical alpha bitch she did have a point (Willow was cheating) and she didn't seem so bad to me; she's just an overachieving teacher's pet. Nice ending with Luz banned from the school but Willow advancing due to her plant magic and Eda being impressed with Luz and her "Banned" poster (Oh, and there was a subplot about King making a bet with Eda and having to raise a monster snail and it was just OK).

(Additionally, I wonder why the principal wears that mask that covers the top half of his head. I'm wondering if he's not what he seems like and I have my suspicions. I guess we'll have to wait and see).

Like I said, it's off to a good start. I can understand those who are still skeptical or doesn't think it's that good yet, but I still think that what the show needs is that kicker episode where it finds/grows the beard, which other shows have often needed previously (again, 'Gravity Falls' was just like that for me. It took like six or seven episodes before it's first great episode).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-27-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Aha yes, each time King opens his mouth, I basically hear no one else but Bill Cipher (a bit more pitchy though). I won't complain, I think it fits well with King's personality, but I won't lie that it becomes kind of funny by the sameness though I suppose it wasn't intended.

Anyway, we're pretty much agree regarding the first two episodes. Gotta love how the second one somehow answers to the first one and delivers an important aesop with that. I won't say it's the most original show out there, which it's clearly not (the universe is delightfully weird but the narrative structure follows some familiar formula; I won't complain on that either, though, and these only are the first episodes after all), but enjoyable regardless.

And the third episode isn't an exception, it's a solid one. I prefered the second one but this is still a nice introduction to the magic school (Eda being against that school makes the funniest part of the episode) and new characters. Again, not the most original out there but likeable anyway; really like the unsure yet cute Willow, and Gus is funny as a "human expert". And Amity looks so far like the Pacifica Northwest of this show but just like you, @CousinMerl, she didn't seem all that bad to me either; just like someone jealous to have someone better than her with grades and she does have a point considering Willow did cheat. Wonder how she'll progress as the season goes on but I can see her bonding in a way with the main characters, or at least not being a real nuisance. The abomination thing is pretty funny too, don't know why it reminded me the Mr. Meeseeks from Rick and Morty, minus the existential crisis; and of course, knowing more about this world is always a nice plus. I didn't care that much for the subplot however but it's still fine and I like how it linked a bit with the main plot regarding Eda's education skills towards Luz (and her being proud of Luz's first "banned" poster like she's kind of her child made my day, it's so damn hilarious). Good episode.

The fourth episode, 'The Intruder', was really good. I like these kind of 'characters inside the house during rain' plots as often they can get a lot of good stuff out of it and they definitely did here with a good story ar. The set up was simple, with Luz wanting to start learning magic, King being obsessed with teaching her about demons and Eda coming back home tired, not to mention the rain which keeps them inside (funny idea with it being acid rain since there not being weather like in the human world here). Luz pestering Eda about learning a spell and bribing her with the glowpen was amusing (especially how Eda is attracted to glowy things) and I liked it with Eda collapses mid-spell due to being so tired (amusing how they make her behavior partially like an owl, with the nest instead of a bed and the mention of her going hunting for voles and rats on occasion).

King helping Luz with magic after getting a promise from her, stealing Eda's magic potion from her nightstand for Luz to drink and it being spilled, the lights going out and a demon breaking in was a nice spooky story. The identity of the monster was predictable (the mane was a giveaway) but it was still an interesting story. Luz being able to see the complete light spell on her recording of Eda's second and half attempt at demonstrating magic after her smartphone screen got cracked was a little contrived, but an interesting development and solution (due to the demon having black eyes, which means it's light sensitive). The ending with Luz continuing to train with the light magic and King apologizing to Eda was a good one, Eda's dream was intriguing (I like the curse plot point) & I liked the end joke with the Snaggleback (whom was a fun recurring gag).

So anyway, a very solid episode. The show is still finding its footing but its really getting there. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I think it has the possibility to become even better than Gravity Falls.

What did you guys think of the episode? @Wile E. the Brain?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-12-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Looks like I'm the first to again give my thoughts on the most recent episode, the fifth one. Spoilers follow, as usual.

'Covention' was yet another really good episode and makes it clear, at least for me, that the show might very well develop into something great). The plot was a fun and interesting one, with Luz finding out that there's a magic convention with covens on the Boiling Isles called a "covention" and naturally she has to go and manages to coerce Eda to follow her (and King comes willingly); lots of good stuff in this one, including world building. The explanation behind the various magic covens (all specializing in something) were interesting, with witches & wizards have to join one of them and once they do their magic skills becomes limited to only what the coven is about; it explains a lot of things, such as Eda not liking these coventions and seem to be the main reason why she's a wanted rebel witch as she wants to freely use various forms of magic without restrictions. Good that they explain the magic well early on instead of later.

I liked the humorous moments, ranging from King gathering freebies to the covent stuff (like those magic strength patches; haha) Also, nice to see Willow and Gus back as well as the other magic school characters like the principal and Amity. Eda's past with her sister Lilith (who's part of the Imperial coven & Amity's mentor) was interesting; their conflict has some real potential and their duel was great (impressive animation for a TV budget) and the bit at the end with Lilith reporting to the Emperor's aide was intriguing. Luz challenging the arrogant Amity to a witch duel was good too; even though the latter is supposed to be this smug, overachieving bully I can't help but like her and she still doesn't feel rotten. Eda helping Luz by secretly booby trapping the battle ground with magic (which Luz is horrified about) led to some fun bits and Eda finding out and revealing that Amity cheated (by wearing one of those magic strength patches) was a good twist (it shows how desperately Amity wants to be the best).

Luz confronting the sulking Amity was maybe my favorite scene. Luz apologizing and Amity complaining about her future being in jeopardy, having worked so hard to be the best & having been embarassed by Luz (whom doesn't take magic seriously) twice was quite dramatic & the two having a bit of a bonding moment, with Luz admitting she's not a witch but is learning and Amity hearing her out was surprisingly heartfelt (and one understand where Amity is coming from & that she has a heart, only overshadowed by her obsession to be the best; they might end up as friends later). Amity is certainly the Pacifica Northwest of this series and I'd say that this might have been this show's 'The Golf War' episode. Also, I liked how the side plot of King collecting freebies starting the Luz-Amity plot (with Amity crushing his cupcake under her boot setting Luz off) and then coming back at the end of it as sort of a capper (I've warmed up to King more and more).

Again, yet another good episode with a lot of things that stood out, not only with character development but some important and interesting background info about the world of the series and how the magic is used. Feels like the show is getting better by the episode.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-29-2020 at 12:51 AM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Junior Camper

Covention and the Intruder are really good episodes. It keeps getting better and better.

Well, only two weeks late, I'll answer your question, @CousinMerl, about what I thinked of this episode and Covention.

First thing first, The Intruder, which takes the simple yet still charming set-up of "characters being stuck at their home because of the rain", which usually works quite well (if you're not called Seahorse Seashell Party), to deliver a solid episode behind closed doors with some horror movie vibes. Plus, the acid rain idea was pretty funny and really justifies the behind closed doors side of the plot. One thing for sure, the chemistry between Luz, Eda and King keeps getting stronger, more endearing and more believable. And here, seeing Luz trying to have her first magic lessons with a sleepy Eda was fun, while King desperatly tries to bond with the human kid; kinda like how King just want to have a bonding with someone. And then the monster, whose identity was really predictable but that didn't bother me, comes up and the episode becomes a nice spooky story that works well. With some pretty great jokes (the running gag about the Snaggleback, I agree, this is very funny, especially the last line "I'll have to edit that part") and a good atmosphere. I liked how the plot landed to Luz learning her first spell after all (in a contrived way with the smartphone, I also agree). The ending was really nice too, with like I said good chemistry between the three main characters, and also somehow a nice lesson about people living with an illness by a clever metaphor which really adds something touching to Eda. Also, it already was in the trailer but magic actually coming from heart (a sack attached to the heart) is still one of my favorite lines of all animated series I've ever seen. Very good episode.

Covention was maybe even better. It's clear that the more the show goes on and the more it seems to find its groove and it was all we had the right to hope. Anyway, the plot was really nice in this one too. Usually I'm not that much into this kind of plot involving someone making a bet / duel with another people while the former doesn't have a required talent whatsoever, but they didn't make it the main plot point fortunately (also it was hilarious how Luz did that for King's honor while he casually says that she won't win at all). Lots of good and various stuff in this episode with this "covention", and the emotional side is pretty on point. I mean, I didn't expect they would show Amity as someone who isn't completely bad that soon, and in a way it was the right thing to do, she clearly becomes more likeable and I had no doubt she would eventually be at one point, even if like you said, she never felt rotten to me either; nice to show her as a girl with a troubled, perfectionist side and yeah, her bonding scene with Luz was so much heartfelt. As for Eda and her sister, it was also well done, both funny (Eda acting like a child over the fact Lilith cheated and her tricks and various booby traps during both duels) and intriguing, and of course, her duel with Lilith was one of the episode's highlights. The cliffhanger is, as usual, promising, and I can't wait to see where all of this will go. This episode has pretty much everything, basically : explanations (about this magical world and some characters), mystery, humor, character development, heart and even some action : one of the best so far.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - TBA / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA

'Hooty's Moving Hassle' was yet another good episode, but I'd say this one was maybe not as solid as the previous one, feeling a bit more like one of those "really good but not great" episodes. The plot itself was pretty simple, with Luz finding that Amity is gonna have a conjuring slumber party and Willow & Gus asks if they can have one with Luz at the Owl House which she agrees to (despite Eda saying no any such things) and they end up conjuring life into the Owl House itself & they find out they can control it with the magic, but it was done well. The subplot with Eda having troubles getting a new batch of the magic potion for her curse (which is quickly worsening) was a good story too. The conjuring plot developed Luz' friendship well, the demon hunters whom the trio ends up in trouble with (but ends up beating) were interesting and the subplot had some good stuff, with Eda trying to win the last potion bottle in a magical cardgame she's great at but losing against the salesman Grimhammer, King becomes a servant & she gets captured (because of the price on her head), but they end up escaping as the wandering Owl House passes by and accidentally destroys Grimhammer's stand, tying into the main plot well.

We got to know a little more about the universe here too, such as Amity lives in a mansion that has the name Blight Manor which means she's from an wealthy family, the introduction of the demon hunters & that the Boiling Isle's at least has a social media service called 'Penstagram' (used via magic scrolls). The ending with Luz and her friends returning the house back in place and Willow & Gus standing up for Luz when Eda is furious about the mess and they take the blame was a good one. I liked how they suffered consequences and had to clean up & the very end scene of Amity (sitting mysteriously by the window and looking out for some reason) and then seeing all the Penstagram posts with pictures of "Hooty's Moving Castle" and it's spell-casters was a good closer (and meaningful, considering Amity & co could not animate a simple doll, but Luz & friends animated an entire house. The power of true friendship). So yeah, another good episode even though it's a bit of a step down compared to last week's (feeling less of an essential episode, yet still having good character development, humor and all that good stuff).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-02-2020 at 10:43 AM.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    'Hooty's Moving Castle' was yet another good episode, but I'd say this one was maybe not as solid as the previous one, feeling a bit more like one of those "really good but not great" episodes. The plot itself was pretty simple, with Luz finding that Amity is gonna have a conjuring slumber party and Willow & Gus asks if they can have one with Luz at the Owl House which she agrees to (despite Eda saying no any such things) and they end up conjuring life into the Owl House itself & they find out they can control it with the magic, but it was done well. The subplot with Eda having troubles getting a new batch of the magic potion for her curse (which is quickly worsening) was a good story too. The conjuring plot developed Luz' friendship well, the demon hunters whom the trio ends up in trouble with (but ends up beating) were interesting and the subplot had some good stuff, with Eda trying to win the last potion bottle in a magical cardgame she's great at but losing against the salesman Grimhammer, King becomes a servant & she gets captured (because of the price on her head), but they end up escaping as the wandering Owl House passes by and accidentally destroys Grimhammer's stand, tying into the main plot well.

We got to know a little more about the universe here too, such as Amity lives in a mansion that has the name Blight Manor which means she's from an wealthy family, the introduction of the demon hunters & that the Boiling Isle's at least has a social media service called 'Penstagram' (used via magic scrolls). The ending with Luz and her friends returning the house back in place and Willow & Gus standing up for Luz when Eda is furious about the mess and they take the blame was a good one. I liked how they suffered consequences and had to clean up & the very end scene of Amity (sitting mysteriously by the window and looking out for some reason) and then seeing all the Penstagram posts with pictures of "Hooty's Moving Castle" and it's spell-casters was a good closer (and meaningful, considering Amity & co could not animate a simple doll, but Luz & friends animated an entire house. The power of true friendship). So yeah, another good episode even though it's a bit of a step down compared to last week's (feeling less of an essential episode, yet still having good character development, humor and all that good stuff).
    I can't wait to see what happens now that everyone in town knows that Luz and her friends could control a house.

@orangemo, agreed, but please don't quote the entirety of longer posts, especially those directly above you. It just clogs up threads and just makes things weird if the original poster wants to edit said posts. Just a tip.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Junior Camper

I honestly liked "Lost in Language". We get some Amity development here while balancing out a well-paced story with laughs and interest throughout. I liked how they didn't focus on Eda's subplot too long as it would have been boring. Supposedly, this is tied with Covention for my best. A- or 4.5/5

Junior Camper

For those of you wondering about anyone covering the show, Phil Payton does review episode by episode.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQA...70aA/playlists

I haven't seen the latest episode ('Lost In Language') yet but will report back in later today or tomorrow when I have. Looking forward to it, much since it seem to be an Amity-heavy episode.

And I never thought Phil would take this show on with a review series as he only seemed to review adult animated sitcoms up to this point, but nice to see him branching out. I've only really watched his Simpsons reviews (due to them being posted in the Rate & Review threads) so it's interesting to see something else by him.

Watched 'Lost In Language' earlier today and yeah, this was another really good episode.

Plot-wise, this was quite strong, that with Luz going to the big library of the Isles to return Eda's overdue books and ending up checking it out, coming across Amity Blight and even her two older siblings (Emira & Edric). The magic library was a fun setting, also continuation of the Luz-Amity story and how the latter had some things revealed about her (such as her reading a storybook about the heroic rabbit-like Otabin to kids was very sweet) and Luz being swept up with the older Blight siblings' pranking was enjoyable. I liked this storyline with how they treated Luz really well and had her really embrace her weird & fun-loving side, while they tease and make fun of their little sister Amity who really doesn't like them, who call her "mittens"; typical older siblings giving the youngest one a nickname); this really added a lot and I really start understanding her perfectionist, bookish and arrogant persona now (with siblings like that).

The whole thing about the falling Wailing Star on the night sky bringing the library books to life with it's shine which Luz and Amity's siblings had some fun with was a creative idea and a good showcase with some wierdness with how the stuff in the books coming alive once they are opened (made extra fun if you draw additional things in the book and it manifests on the objects and characters). The trio going into Amity's secret hideout and Luz discovering that not only does Amity like the Azura books too but also has written entries in her diary (that her siblings want to use against her) where she admits doesn't mean to be cruel towards the human girl (Luz) but just don't want to be seen as weak. Luz trying to keep the siblings from getting the book was strong as well and showed that she does care about Amity (their enmity-rivalry-not quite friendship is seriously one of my favorite aspects of the show; Amity is Pacifica Northwest done right from the start).

So Amity walks in on them, thinks Luz is a bully (which is rich coming from her) and when Luz tries to explain and make up with her they are attacked by a monstrous version of Otabin from the kids' book (who turned out this way due to Amity's brother making Luz draw claws and a frown on the character); an overall solid climax of the two girls cooperating and finally managing to erase the drawn additions from the Otabin book, turning the character normal (and Luz apologizing by lending Amity the fifth Azura book was a nice end note). Good stuff all the way thought and with good humor (like the librarian breaking down crying twice and Amity getting red faced of anger and shame & the brother mimicking it; both "I almost passed out" bits were hilarious). I wish there would have been more closure on the older Blight siblings (but I'm thinking they'll be back). Nice that Luz & Amity are closer to becoming friends (but Amity is still hesitant, but at some point she'll probably stop be such an stiff and loosen up).

There was an minor subplot about Eda and King taking care of this crying and screaming demon bat baby of the Bat Queen demon and Eda only doing it for the reward & this story was perfectly alright and decent. It had some fine moments, such as Eda's attitude towards the babysitting ("We keep this thing alive for a few hours and we get paid"), Luz popping in and accidentally made it worse by making the baby multiply into two more before immediately leaving, Eda calming the babies by reading the Otabin book (I did like how it was a recurring thing here) & the ending where Luz confronts the Bat Queen who comes to pick her babies up and leaves treasure chest full of gold 8the payment) all while Eda and King was asleep. I didn't think it was that good of a side story, though still a nice addition.

Solid episode all around and one of the top three so far, I'd say.

(Might do some editing later. Oh, and again, please don't quote the entirety of this one).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-02-2020 at 12:48 AM.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

The latest episode, 'Once Upon A Swap', was a pretty funny one and quite enjoyable, though maybe not as good as the previous one (it's certainly difficult to follow up 'Lost In Language'). So this one was the show's attempt at the classic body swap plot & while it had the familiar story beats and clichés one would come to expect from that kind of stories it was done really well and was fun.

So Luz, Eda & King all being envious of the other and their lives and to solve this, Eda body swap them all (Luz in Eda's body, Eda in King's body & King in Luz's body) so they can get a proper grasp of the other's life and learn something. They make a bet of whom will make it through the day the best as the other (with the loser having to clean up the house and Hooty). I liked how the body swap was done voluntarily and not by accident (like how it usually is in body swap stories), they all kept their eyes and mouths when swapped (making for some amusing looks) & the three stories (Eda then King then Luz) getting their own act time was a good choice for the episode.

Eda (in King's body) being pampered and coddled rom the townfolk but eventually ending up in trouble once these two creepy ladies brings her to this "Cat Café" for owners and their cats and other pets (but no teenagers whom they hate) was a pretty amusing story; I like how the secret of the café is that the pets there get pampered so much they lose their individuality and free will & and turn into vegetables who are placed on shelves (which was funny) and Eda trying to escape but the ladies keeping her locked in the café. Good one.

King (in Luz' body) going to boss over the three-eyed bully teen girl Boscha (from 'Hooty's Moving Hassle') and her friends, taking over and going on an pranking spree but eventually gets into trouble once Boscha challenges him (still thinking it's Luz) to a rat-snail race across an rickety bridge and King, trying to look cool, accidentally falls off the broken bridge with his ride and lands onto their club shack, destroying it and gets chased off by the angered teens who all turn on him (as he's not the alpha anymore). This one was decent.

Luz (in Eda's body) using her magic (that she is not accustomed to) to better sell all Eda's "human collectibles" and, while successful in getting customers, being careless about it and gets arrested, is brought in for questioning & faces Eda's sister Lilith (who doesn't see that it's not Eda) whom tries to convince her to join the Emperor's Coven (and we get to know that Eda had wanted to join this coven in her youth). Luz escapes with magic (albeit unintentionally) and gets followed by Lilith and the guards. My favorite of the three.

The three plots came together well, with King seeking shelter from the teens in the cat café and being held captive by the old ladies along with Eda and Luz finding them & bailing them out, culminating with their enemies all coming at them and Eda ending the charade by returning their bodies to normal & body swapping Lilith & the guards, the two ladies & the teen group, resulting in some real goofiness. The heroes then go home and its essentially a draw, but Luz ends up having to do the cleaning as the other two are quick to call "not it". Suitable ending to this wacky episode.

Overall, it was an nice eisode. I'm a little disappointed that the characters didn't keep the voice of the person whose body they were in (it would've been fun to have the voice actors play the part of the body they were in; for example, Alex Hirsch doing an impression of Wendie Malick's Eda) and it was silly how the swap wasn't seen through by some (both Boscha and Lilith should have known that it wasn't Luz and Eda respectively they were interacting with; Lilith looked especially dumb for not realizing it), but as a whole it was an entertaining one and had a lot of good jokes. It was clearly meant to be sort of a funny side episode not to be taken seriously.

While it was good fun and all that, I hope that the next episode will be a heftier and a more of story-heavy one. So far the show has yet to have an bad episode and that might be indicative of its future. We'll see.

Well, guess now is as good a time as any to begin jumping into this thread having been watching since the first episode and with two more episodes left before the show goes into a hiatus.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what @CousinMerl said about this episode being good even if slightly weaker when compared to the last. The only things I'll add is that I was initially concerned when the body swap element was introduced as I honestly don't like the Carpet Diem episode of GF (too much arguing and infighting in it for me to really enjoy it), but they made it work and I also dug how they made a reference to the 2003 remake of Freaky Friday (which of the few live action Disney films I've seen is actually a good one). Additionally, the episode reminded me of Trilogy of Error where we see the episode's events from the perspectives of three different characters only for it to end with all three at the same location.

And in case anyone hasn't seen them yet, here are the synopsis for the next two episodes:

Something Ventured, Something Framed
    When Gus sneaks Luz into Hexside School to present at the Human Appreciation Society, Luz sees a side of the school she didn't expect.
    Escape of the Palisman (3/20)
    When an adventure with Eda's staff goes awry, Luz and her friends have to earn the staff back from a mysterious forest creature or lose it forever.

@John95, speaking of that 'Gravity Falls' episode, I've seen that some prefers it to 'Once Upon A Swap'. It's been a while since I saw 'Gravity Falls' but I do remember the former episode to be pretty decent with an creative idea (though now that you mention it, the arguing and fighting way maybe a bit too much at times) but as a whole I think they are both sort of on the same level. This one was done well all things considered and was quite good even with the few nitpicks I had so the negativity seen towards it I don't agree with.

The upcoming two episodes both sound good, but I'm sort of dreading the hiatus ever since I saw someone mention it. I really hope it won't be too much of a long one (if they did a surprise reveal that 'Amphibia' is coming back in a few weeks I would feel more at ease with it).

@CousinMerl, Well, obviously I'd take this episode over that one.

Also, might as well briefly talk about the latest episode which was honestly the first one I found myself not caring too much for. And it pretty much all comes down to the introduction of a character who is a classic case of "Jerk for the sake of being one", and outside of suffering a small bit of karma is ultimately rewarded for his jerkiness which in turn brings the episode down. Not the worst episode I've seen all year, but definitely my least favorite of the series so far.

@John95, well, I thought that the latest episode, 'Something Ventured Someone Framed', was another good one. I actually found it better and more substantial than the last one and really continued the overall story with some fun and interesting bits and pieces throughout.

First off, I really liked the return to the Hexside high school and having Gus be the main character was a good choice (he's been a sidekick character so far and this was a good vehicle for him). Nice plot about his position as president of the school's human appreciation society neing threatened by this newcomer jerk kid (Mattholomule, whom I found too pathethic and try-hard to be truly hateable) so by lying to Luz that her ban at the school is lifted (and removing the wanted posters) he gets here there to show off so he'll remain as the head of the club; also Willow shows up every now and then and is really critical of his short-sighted plan to keep being the top dog. Good plot with nice jokes, drama, character development and world building.

I liked Gus showing Luz around (and we got to see Amity's older siblings in Gus' illusionist class which was a neat detail) and I liked the concept and design of the trouble-smeller guards (who brings misbehaving students to detention). Mattholomule was a decent antagonist (if a lame bully character just like Boscha in the last one; they fill their roles but not much more) but it was predictable that his sad reason for being a jerk was a lie. So he has the trouble-smellers toss Luz into the detention room with the giant monster mouth in the floor (neat concept) and Gus has to rescue her by getting himself thrown into detention along with his rival, making for a good climax where they have to break out (along with Matt, whom they rescue from an organic stasis pod).

The subplot with Eda deciding to enroll Luz at the school was great. I really liked the interplay between her and Principal Bump, who actually agrees to let Luz start the school despite being a human and the ban on the condition that Eda makes amends for her tumultous time as a pranking school hoodlum when she was young, by doing some real cleaning up (the magic graffiti joke was great, with how it constantly moves aside and spells out "Mother Nooo!"). Good stuff about Eda's past as a school delinquent who got kicked out of school & That she admitted that she's been a bad magic teacher to Luz so far was great developlent; it makes sense she'd help the girl like this (and it seems that Principal Bump is a little more chill than I thought he'd be).

Both plots collided, with Bump giving Eda the green light for Luz to get into the school just as Luz and Gus forcibly pushes their way out of detention. I thought they were gonna make the whole plot pointless with Bump throwing Eda and Luz out of there, but then Gus stood up for the latter and admitting that the whole debacle was his fault and takes on her punishment (not a ban, but detention) and has to resign as club president, a position Bump half-heartedly tosses to the still weakened Matt (whom deserve it, but to be fair I don't care as long as Gus and Luz are satisfied and happy, which they seem to be; the poser can have his paper crown). The final scene of Eda showing Luz newspaper clippings of her youth as a troublemaker was great and an pretty much perfect way to wrap the episode up.

So anyway, another good episode that furthers and adds to the overall story, though Luz actually getting into the magic school for the next semester is a little odd and makes me a bit skeptical. I hope it won't just turn into a typical "high school with magic" show and makes the world of the show feel limited and small (and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed Eda never really taught Luz any magic), but the show might very well surprise me, which feels very likely. I'm hoping for the best.

(Also, I gotta say that the episode had a surprising lack of Amity. I was thinking she'd pop up but I guess not).

Thread Information