Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tangled: The Series

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tangled: The Series

Literally just found out about this one minute after I found out about the Big Hero 6 series. Someone mentioned it in the comment section and I just searched it up. Man, are they going back to making a show out of every single one of their movies again? Ugh.

I mean, I'm not particularly invested in this. Tangled was a good movie but I don't love it. I just thought this was kinda weird and neat to share. Though I do like the animation style.

58 &probably the oldest NHCer D DEBBS's Avatar

WHY would Rapunzel have her long blonde hair when we all know Eugene chopped it off and it became dark????

Blog Entries

I guess we'll find out!

"Once it's cut, it turns brown and never grows back"

I wonder how it went back to blonde. They better have a good reasons as to why

I have almost never enjoyed their 'series' for movies outside of (surprise, surprise) The Little Mermaid and some of Aladdin. Lilo & Stitch series was just ok, suffered that main problem all the other shows have which is they just feel like nothing special.

I'm not sure what in the world Rapunzel and Eugene could do outside of the movie events to make me care. It's supposed to be about her getting acquainted with her parents and stuff so I guess that's neat. I'm pretty much good with their story, though. It started and it ended in the movie (well, and the short film) as far as I'm concerned.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Surprised we got this before we got a Frozen series. Unless you count them getting shoehorned into Once Upon a Time for a while.

Anyway, I hate the animation and don't know why this was deemed necessary, especially so damn long after the movie came out.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest, what do you dislike about the animation? I'm actually shocked it's not 3D animated like the movie was. Kind of a nice contrast.

Blog Entries

It has that stiff puppetlike digital animation that way too many 2D shows have nowadays, even good ones. But yeah, still a nice change-up that it's not also CG.

CGI would be too expensive to produce for a TV Show (or at least beautiful CGI like it was in the movie) so I guess 2D animation is easier, time saving and cheaper.

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool they decided to make the show 2D, but I agree with Los that it's not very pretty-looking. It has a very awkward feel to it, like it was produced for Disney Junior or something.

I probably won't watch this show, but I will give the movie a shot some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngusCastle View Post
    CGI would be too expensive to produce for a TV Show (or at least beautiful CGI like it was in the movie) so I guess 2D animation is easier, time saving and cheaper.
    Good CG like in the movie, definitely. But that doesn't stop the assembly line of scaled-down less-pretty CG series based on CG movies, like Penguins of Madagascar or 'Dreamworks Dragons'

Blog Entries

I'd much rather have 2D than that ugly television CG. Penguins of Madagascar did pull off though, and I haven't seen Dreamworks Dragons. But I do find this animation fine. It's generally the same generic style that wayyyy too many kid shows use nowadays, but they sorta pull it off.

DreamWorks Dragons was fine. It's not GORGEOUS but the characters aren't hideously off model or anything. It's not that different from the movies if you're not really paying extra attention to all the animation details.

I do prefer 2D more often than not but I do agree this paper-doll style isn't necessarily drawing me in. The utter "flatmess" of the style always makes me feel like I'm watching Flash stuff online.

Blog Entries

Apparently the pilot is gonna be a movie.

I'm still really apprehensive of the Tangled TV series (especially since the original movie was amazing and rekindled my love of Disney) but I'll give it a chance.

Blog Entries

wow, how retro of an idea.

Bringing this thread back, surprisingly.

With how you two guys, @John95 & @Wile E. the Brain, have mentioned this series a whole number of times, sometimes comparatively, in the Loud House, Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil and Amphibia threads I got inspired to give this show a go and I thought I'd inject some life into this old thread about a show that I at first had no real interest in despite really liking the original movie.

Watched around the first half of season 1 earlier this summer and binged the latter half yesterday and today & it was really quite good, not too surprisingly with Disney's pretty good track record of series based on their classic films.

It nicely expanded upon the world of the movie with many good, fun new characters and development for already existing ones (particularily the king and the queen, who were flat characters in the movie and had no dialogue). The art style of a flat 2D style inspired by the art of fairy tale books is certainly unique and gives the show a good and interesting look that is also pretty pleasing to the eyes and I appreciate that these are a full 22 minutes rather than the popular 11 minute segments. I'll however be fairly blunt and admit that it took some time to find it's footing and really get going

The pilot episode and start were fairly solid and was certainly a good beginning but then the first half of the season mostly consisted of these more or less inconsequential slice of life filler stories with a lot of familiar plot ideas. There was certainly a lot of pretty good and fun episodes overall but for each good episode there was also some pretty meh ones that didn't grab me all that much & I wondered where they were gonna get to the overarching plot that was set in motion at the start with the spikes but then largely pushed aside for most of the time. Wasn't really a fan of how it felt like Eugene was Flanderized by having his goofy and arrogant traits exaggerated to the point of being kinda obnoxious and intrusive and being mostly just the wacky and silly comic relief doing dumb stuff on the side, as well as Cassandra's fairly one-sided dislike of him (to the point of it feeling like her essentially bullying him) but other than that I had no real complaints. Many good episodes in there for sure.

Then around halfway in the season it started to find it's footing and got better with improved characterizations and character development (the Eugene-Cass rivarly with it being more light heartedly jokey with the banter being more snappy and like two friends ribbing on each other) and more interesting plots and stories with character drama and conflicts (even if it was still playful and goofy) and new occasional characters such as the queen's sister and the robber girls to play off against the main characters and give them some development (with the second half I got more of a feel that they are setting things up for later happenings which make them add to the show going forward instead of being inconsequential one-offs ). I don't blame the show for taking it's time but I wish some of these later stories would have come earlier on since they were a clear improvement and would have hooked me earlier, however those baby steps were necessary even with the season not finding it's footing early.

Of this last half, those that got to me were the last five-six episodes that were really good and and surprising step up in quality (some of the more interesting episodes of the season's first half were those about Varian, the young alchemist, and how they made the final arc about him was good). Very much liked the increased darkness, the intensity and the improved adventure and action it brough to the series, also giving it (and the main characters) the first real conflict with actual stakes, also catapulting the show into more of an serialized format which I definitely think was the right way. It was well written, the build-up and progression came off fairly organically, really liked the way they tied in the plot with the film (with the sundrop flower, etc) and it ended with an explosion of action and an intriguing opening to the second season. This dramatic and serialized multi-part finale felt kinda jarring with how much they goofed around for much of the season but I did really like how much it threw me for a loop.

So overall, the season started just fine, came into something of an uneven lull with some good episodes here and there (and the introduction of important recurring characters), then picked up and became really good in the last quarter. Looking forward to start the second season and maybe binge a lot of it too since I can only see it get better from here and watch where it goes.

I certainly see why you guys like it so much and now I do too, I guess.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-26-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Not that anyone around is gonna care, but I'm several episodes into the second season and wow, what an improvement the show went through with the advent of serialization and the heroes' quest story a la 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'. Everything flows much better now, there is more variety and diverse adventures & even those episodes that are on the filler side are more fun and interesting than those from the first season.

Good, enjoyable stuff overall that I had all but overlooked when I passed on this series. Starting to feel it's kind of a shame that it will end with the third season but it's probably a good time to wrap it up after that so that things don't get dragged out for too long and it all gets stale .

@CousinMerl, Glad to see you're liking the show so far. Unfortunately, as you probably might've heard me mention in the past, Season 2 ends in a way similar to the crap they did with Moon during the last few episodes of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, to the point where how it's followed up on really will be what makes or breaks the series for me. I plan to rewatch the first season before Season 3 starts, but so far the only Season 2 episode I plan to rewatch is Vigor the Visionary mainly because I really like Red & Angry and because all the other episodes from said season are currently tainted by the outcome of the finale.

It's a shame too, as I was liking the direction the show was going in beforehand and unlike some I had no problem with the darker tone the series would occasionally as I just found it to be par for the course with the source material (even if I thought the circumstances behind Varian's Heel-Face Turn were somewhat egregious). But seeing what happened in Season 2's finale did make me understand why people have a problem with the show's Cerberus Syndrome.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: TBD Roger Needs Dick: TBD

@John95, I think you spoiler tagged you talk of that event in the Star Vs. thread but I think I know what you're talking about (might have glanced at the spoilers or just heard about it elsewhwere), though I don't think it's gonna break the series for me. The Moon thing was just so horribly done and contrived for the sake of a plot twist (they clearly stated the opposite before that) and if I'm correct I think I could have an easier time swallowing this.

As for the 'Vigor the Visionary' episode (which I watched today) it was surprisingly fun. It felt like one of those episodes that in essentially any other series would be one of those kinda lame pointless filler episodes but here it most certainly worked, in part because of the return of Angry & Red (I really quite like those two, a couple of my favorite returning characters; almost feels like they deserve a spin-off).

Regarding Varian, I too think that the reason behind his change was a little weak to be honest;  I mean, he couldn't get the help he wanted at once becaude of a good reason and it being forgotten about for a while (though Rapunzel could have bothered to check in on him after the crisis in the kingdom had been adverted), essentially being just let down, and the next minute he's this machiavellian Lex Luthor-type supervillain) . It was a little overdone (and could have been avoided if he actually tried to contact his friends and remind them) but it didn't bother me much.

Looking forward to watch more. I'm nearing the midpoint of the season.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.

@CousinMerl, I'll say this much, supposedly this show was in Development Hell for awhile because what happens in Season 2's finale had been planned as far back as 2014 meaning that they've had things mapped out for quite sometime. Additionally, we still don't know the motivation for what causes it, whereas we found out Moon's motive right away and it all just worked against her and the series.

And that was my problem with his Face-Heel Turn. He turned for reasons that were honestly his own fault (not listening to his father), and it was a case of all sides looking bad with how they acted.

Not sure if you've seen Keeper of the Spire yet, but if not be forewarned that I consider it to be the worst episode of the series.

@John95, the face-heel-turn situation with Varian was indeed unfortunate no matter which way you look at it. Both sides definitely made some bad decisions which contributed to his change (not to mention he was a little at fault too with the incident that caused him to search for immediate help, something he didn't get); still, it felt a litte odd on the other end with the scene of Rapunzel lamenting that she let the kid down and felt bad about it but never made an effort to go and talk to him.

And 'Keeper Of The Spire' was one of the episodes I saw yesterday. I found it to be alright but I think they overdid the Calliope character being an annoying, obnoxious and arrogant know-it-all (also leaving the gang out in the rain overnight) and then tack on a kinda forced reason for the way she acted like that (despite it being sort of semi-understandable) and that's why we (and the main characters) should forgive her. The twist felt a little jarring (that kind of reveals often come off as such) but was fine for the most part, but nothing really excuses the way she treated the gang. That was the big flub of the story and I guess that's one reason why you hate that episode.

(Also, what is it with masters on the good side forgetting to teach their apprentices humility early on? Feels like this happens from time to time). 

@CousinMerl, And that's why I hated Keeper of the Spire as much as I did. I'm forced to spend 2/3rds of the episode with a character whose annoying as hell, and then suddenly have the show pull out of it's ass a reason why we're now supposed to feel something for them, and have them being rewarded at the end be completely tepid due to how unearned is.

You know you failed at this story when you actually want to see Cassandra attack Calliope at the end instead of being restrained by everyone else!

Thankfully, this is as low as the series sinks for now, even with how I feel about what happens at the end of the season.

@John95, I didn't hate the episode like you but I feel your pain. I definitely was on Cass' side there at the end when Calliope made that cruel "made you look" joke about the sword; she really deserved to at least deck her with one punch, if just a little (definitely think that Calliope should've shown more sympathy at the end than that and not joke it away; she was the one who lost the sword, after all).

And about Varian, I somehow suspect that he might get a redemption story as he doesn't feel like a bad person deep down and might actually rethink the situation and realize that he was being a confused jerk about it and jumped to the wrong conclusions. I don't believe that he definitely won't get another face-heel-turn and another chance.

@CousinMerl, I just hate the "Character is insufferable for the first 2/3rds, than suddenly sympathetic in the final act" kind of episodes especially if they do a good enough job of making the character as annoying/unlikable as possible beforehand and how I've seen an unhealthy amount of them due to that kind of episode making up at least half the count of any given season of AD!. Though at least the worst Calliope gets is just being annoying, whereas AD! usually seems to go out of it's way to make sure that their characters are irredeemable monsters that we're still supposed to sympathize with in the final third.

They might do something with Varian next season considering it's the final one. Otherwise, yeah he's a non-factor this season appearing only once via a vision and having an appearance in a later episode that was ultimately left on the cutting room floor for time reasons.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, I'm glad you tried and liked this series so far. I don't like it THAT much per say, but it's a very nice series that I enjoyed followed those last years, even with once again the absurd airing schedule. I don't recall many tv shows based on original movies that are as good as this one (maybe Timon and Pumbaa but it's not the same thing, it's a guilty pleasure of mine). Tangled : the Series managed to make a solid adventure, and not something just to milk the original movie and the character we love with little to no effort in it. I like the animation, I like how the story goes on, the original characters are still very nice and the new are endearing.

(... And I kinda liked Keeper of the Spire. I get the character is annoying but I found her more annoying for the other characters than for the audience (the opposite is what usually makes me really dislike this kind of episode), hence why I though it was pretty funny. And she didn't crossed the line by being completely unlikeable. I think the worst episode so far is The Way of the Willow in my opinion.)

(And sorry for the long time before my answer. It's not that I don't care, but recently I have too much things to do before the return of schooltime. I don't even find the time to talk about Avatar, while I'd love talking about it.)

@Wile E. the Brain, It's a flawed series for sure (and I've already found several things that feel kind of shoddy and overdone or I'd do differently) but it's still a nice and enjoyable one overall; just too bad it took a while for me to catch on. As for other good Disney series based on one of their movies there's of course 'Aladdin' and then there's 'Talespin' as well (well, while it's no a continuation it's based off The Jungle Book characters so it should count).

'Keeper Of The Spire' was okay like I said and not too shabby, though not my favorite (and I'm curious; why's The Way Of The Willow the worst episode to you? I though that was one of the better standalone episodes in the first season; Willow added an interesting dynamic, I liked the Gremlins/Trouble With Tribbles homage with that goofy little pet & the camping subplot was amusing. Not the best but not so bad in my opinion).

And hopefully you'll find time to post about Avatar in that thread. Would love to hear your thoughts on it, the character and the episodes eventually.

@John95 & @Wile E. the Brain, just want to update a little bit.

I'm making my way through the second half of the season and the show is still good and enjoyable, having taken some interesting directions, but maybe it's just me or the binge fatigue speaking but I'm noticing a bit more sloppy and undercooked writing as if the spark has dampened a little bit from the season's first half. I'm noticing more episodes are about the melodrama amongst gang and less exploration & several of the plots aren't as interesting as they could be, but I'm thinking it's just a bit of a lull.

Speaking of least favorite episodes, I think mine so far is 'Curses!' (the archetypical "characters believe they have been cursed but it's due to their dumb carelessness it seems like that"). It just felt like an pretty dumb, kinda lame & pointless filler episode with too much of a silly and dumb solution to the clima (and it's a plot that could so easily have been avoided in the opening scene; it actually kinda came across as the 'The Great Divide' of 'Avatar The Last Airbender' fame of the series, only it didn't add anything or develop any of the characters).

Best episode of the second half thus far was certainly the long 'Rapunzel And The Great Tree' episode but I have to say the ending suffered from a bit of that sloppy writing I mentioned and I just have to type out my thoughts on that. I'm gonna spoiler tag it since it's a big one:

I mean, Rapunzel accidentally fries Cass' right hand while she's under the dark while fighting the bad guy, rendering it charred, twisted and claw-like (or so it seemed) but then after the crisis, it seems like it's no problem from Cass and she immediately suits up in heavy armor she finds (without having trouble with pain) and goes on as usual, which even carries over into the next episodes where she can use the hand just fine (only in an further episode away mentioning it's not as strong). That was pretty sloppy; why even have her hand disfigured like that if it's just handwaved away (pun not really intended) moments afterwards and isn't even an pressing issue (I think they should have bothered by making one direct follow-up episode where the gang must magic to heal it with). Kinda took away from an otherwise solid ep to me (unless it's gonna come back as important towards the end of the season). Your thoughts on that, guys? 
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-02-2019 at 12:19 PM.

@CousinMerl, Yeah, looking back the second half does feel a bit more... Melodramatic. I didn't notice at the time because I was watching the episodes as they were airing, but at times I did feel a little fatigue in some of the more standalone episodes.

And in regards to  Cass' hand , there is a possibility that it might've influenced something that occurs at the end of the season but I'll talk about that further once you get there. Also, turns out that Rapunzel: Day One in production order comes before The Brothers Hook which does make a lot of sense as it would be more ideal to have this issue be brought up in the episode immediately afterwards instead of two episodes later.

And I will come on your side regarding The Way of the Willow and Curses!. I'm also not really crazy about the one that came right before it either (Max and Eugene in Perils on the High Sea) nor one that occurs around the last portion of the season called You're Kidding Me!. My favorites from this half are Rapunzel and the Great Tree, Rapunzel: Day One and Rapunzeltopia.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, for what I recall about The Way of the Willow, I think it was a very dull episode with a character that I find annoying, and I didn't cared about the plot ŕ la Gremlins (strange since it's one of my favorite movies but anyway), maybe because I thought it was a bit overdone, and not done in the best way here, I think it was too silly. But far from being a horrible episode, though, just mediocre.

Curses! was an episode that I quite liked, but not because of the plot which like you said is archetypical and predictable from A to Z and add nothing to the characters, but I thinked it was a kinda fun one anyway. Rapunzel and the Great Tree is my favorite episode of the whole show so far.

And if this is right now the last episode you saw, then about Cass' right hand, the writers didn't forgot about that. She can still use her hand but that doesn't mean it didn't had an influence about what happens later, but like John said, we'll talk about it when you'll go at the end of the season. 

Thread Information