Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

2016 NHC Winter Video Game Music Showdown (ROUND 6! THE FINALS!)

A little later than I had anticipated but no matter. Round 1-A of the 2016 Winter Video Game Music Showdown starts here!

Here's a list of our competitors:
    1. @Shaunbadia
    2. @Snowing Politely
    3. @Miracle on 1010011010th Street
    4. @justiNoel
    5. @tormenteDeck the Halls (Disqualified! Failed to submit tracks before the deadline)
    6. @hopping through the snow
    7. @burnin'
    8. @BuyMyCereal
    9. @Eggnog
    10. @kupomog
    11. @Jims
    12. @santaeaf
    13. @Godot
    14. @The Thompsons (Disqualified! Failed to submit tracks before the deadline)
    15. @Matty
    16. @zach
    17. @pkkao
    18. @deadname
    19. @Glenn_Quagmire

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Bayonetta - “Let's Dance Boys!”
    vs.
    ZombiU - "Meet the Nurse"

Match #2
    Theme Hospital - "Doctor Frog"
    vs.
    Arkanoid - “Commador 64 Music”

Match #3
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction - “Manipulated Mokuba Duel”
    vs.
    N++ - “Twunggg (I Guess We'll Wait)”

Match #4
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - “Ceiba Jungle”
    vs.
    KickMaster - "The Witches' Forest"

Match #5
    Klonoa 2 - “Volk Factory”
    vs.
    The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs"

Match #6
    Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme"
    vs.
    SuperHOT - “Time To Move”

Match #7
    Pictionary - “Title Screen Theme”
    vs.
    World of Goo - "Years of Work"

Match #8
    Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future”
    vs.
    Ratatouille - “Dream World”

Voting for this round ends in 3 days (Thursday, December 15th) at approximately 8 p.m, London time. Best of luck to you all!
    How to remaster

o hello Simpsons H&R
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Seriously, I told the person who submitted it that they were digging their own grave in doing so. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Match #1
    I love the dance-inspired music of Bayonetta. This particular music reminds me a bit of the opening fight of Final Fantasy X-2/ Dance/disco music played during battle and everyone's "charging" stance looked like straight up dancing which was refreshing. That's what I feel when I listen to Let's Dance Boys! It sounds like a remixed classic Sega tune. Meet the Nurse starts out tickling at my interests but then just completely loses me.

Match #2
    Damn I have always wanted to play Theme Hospital. What a quaint piece of music. I totally feel that slightly comedic vibe of dealing with garish 1997 PC graphics while everything goes to shit in your hospital to a calm tune. Arkanoid has a very rough, muffled, and crunchy sound that I expect for Commadore 64 music. This kind of stuff doesn't bother me at all so I'm enjoying the rhythmic variety of static and bleeps. It's more lively than Doctor Frog but I dig the slow groove of that track, too. I think I'm going with Arkanoid here.

Match #3
    Twunggg! is just straight up my kind of music. No contest on this one for me. It goes on a bit long which is my main knock against it, but it's pretty much what I listen to throughout the day at work if I want tunez without distractingly fun lyrics to sing. It wouldn't be out of place in something like Mirror's Edge.

Match #4
    Haha I thought that said "Kickstarter" and I was like "wow there is a game...?" Not a bad track but not much of a contest either like the last one. Ceiba Jungle just has a lot more going for it.

Match #5
    Volk Factory sounds like what it says, a factory. You hear the industrial pounding of heavy machinery driving the main theme, rhythmic clanking of tools filling in for percussion, even the hiss of steam lending a hand to form a pretty neat piece of music with that horn blaring. It reminds me of the Blast Furnace from Metal Gear Solid but far less tense and menacing. Cell-Outs is one of the catchier, more whimsical pieces from Hit & Run and I love any Simpsons Halloweeny/Alien music but Volk Factory is more catchy to me. It's like a mix of march and folk music at some parts.

Match #6
    1960s Theme sounds like something OSS would play in Discord (). That said, it's damn catchy. But SuperHOT is super hot. It's a little soft for me (not that this has any bearing on my voting in general) but much like the case of Twunggg! this is my kind of music. I could just drone out to stuff like this forever.

Match #7
    Luv 2 Follin. Hello again. And hello again, World of Goo. World of Goo always seems to have wonderfully orchestrated movie style music but the last two pieces have given me feelings of "maybe I need to be playing this to really feel it." I just go in and out of wanting to listen and wanting to move on when it gets into that slow build leading to that booming release of strings. I'm probably just being biased but going with Title Screen.

Match #8
    Well this is clearly the best match up (I may or may not be joking). Welcome to the Future is flashing me back to all those unabashed old school rockin' themes for games like DAY-TO-NA, LET'S GO A-WAY. This isn't some lame rockin' and I'm actually not minding the techno-ish swirl of sound. It's kinda making me smile. And heyyyy I was just talkin' bout Ratatouille and the game. I actually liked the 360 game but as the description says...we got cheated out of Dream Worlds apparently. Dream Worlds sound fun as fuck, dude

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Might as well vote I guess

1. Bayonetta
    2. Theme Hospital
    3. N++
    4. Kickmaster
    5. Klonoa
    6. Monopoly Tycoon
    7. Pictionary
    8. Ratatouille

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Bayonetta - “Let's Dance Boys!”

not Crazy about either track but the ZombiU track gets kinda same-y after a while

2. Arkanoid - “Commador 64 Music”

Both pre good but I like the Distorted Rap Beat here

3. N++ - “Twunggg (I Guess We'll Wait)”

4. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - “Ceiba Jungle”

the other track is middle-of-the-road nes music

5. The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs"

both very stylized tracks but I really like the Simpsonized Sci-Fi music in the Simps track

6. Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme"

not great but nice enough beatles-esque music. the other track was bland techno music. could zone out listening to that music tbh

7. Pictionary - “Title Screen Theme”

not sure tbh

8. Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future”

both pretty middle-of-the-road, but I guess dig this one more
    Last edited by ataeaf; 12-14-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

1. Bayonnetta
    2. Arkanoid
    3. Reshef of Destruction
    4. Kickmaster
    5. Kloana 2
    6. SuperHOT
    7. Pictionary
    8. Ratatouille

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

1. Bayonetta - “Let's Dance Boys!” - Bayonetta wins hands down! While it does feel a bit repetitive near the middle, it's still a fun song. The ZombieU track isn't bad either, but it sounded kind of generic. Like, the kind of music you would typically expect from The Walking Dead or anything zombie-related.

2. Arkanoid - Commodore 64 Music - At first I was going to go with Doctor Frog, but then I realized that Arkanoid has a lot more going on in terms of music. Doctor Frog is still a fun song, but I gotta give the vote to the Commodore 64 song. It was on a less capable machine too.

3. N++ - “Twunggg (I Guess We'll Wait)” - That Yu Gi Oh track is decent for what it is, but N++ easily gets the vote.

4. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - “Ceiba Jungle” - Ceiba Jungle is a great track. From the fast drumming to the jungle animal noises, it's a very atmospheric track. The Witches' Forest is decent, but at the same time it does feel like a mishmash of better NES soundtracks.

5. The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs" - This was a pretty hard choice, but at the end of the day I had to go with the obvious choice. There's just something about it that I like more.

6. Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme" - Well, that Monopoly Tycoon song is sure a 60's song. It captures the music of that decade perfectly and it gets the vote for that alone. SuperHOT is pretty good too, but I just gotta give it to Monopoly Tycoon.

7. Pictionary - “Title Screen Theme” - OK, that was a song I wasn't expecting from a Pictionary game. It sounds like a very badass game of Pictionary that really gets you in the mood to draw. (Editor's Note: After investigation of the gameplay, it has not very much to do with drawing. Instead it's a mini-game collection where each point you get gives you a square of a drawing. Not sure what to say other than I'd hate to be that kid who wanted this game for Christmas.) Years of the Road is good, but it's one of those unfortunate cases where a slow-moving song is up against a fast upbeat song. Man, I'm really loving these songs from video games based on board games.

8. Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future” - While that Ratatouille song does sound great and has that feel of the movie, I like Welcome to the Future just a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

01. Bayonetta - “Let's Dance Boys!”
    02. Theme Hospital - "Doctor Frog"
    03. Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction - “Manipulated Mokuba Duel”
    04. KickMaster - "The Witches' Forest"
    05. The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs"
    06. Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme"
    07. Pictionary - “Title Screen Theme”
    08. Ratatouille - “Dream World”

i guess i'm out of the loop, cause i nominated that pictionary track too, but someone else already did. can't believe other people here have played that stupid game. or i guess looking at it now, the composer seems pretty famous. he actually did 'Sky Shark' too, which i picked a song from for the first tournament of this. pretty sure it was eliminated immediately, haha.

Blog Entries

Match #1
    vs.

bayonetta: uptempo, extremely high energy music with a lovely saxaphone lead. i mean, what is there not to love about it? this track had me from the beginning, but when it skyrocketed at 2:52, i was completely sold.

ZombiU: pretty creepy and i like the sharp, menacing drum beats that permeate throughout it, but this track would probably be better in the moment rather than listening to it as a standalone piece.

Match #2
    vs.

theme hospital: a quaint little track with a nice piano. that's all i have to say about this one.

arkanoid: a bit too grating for me to fully get into it, but otherwise it's a pretty decent bitstep track with a solid electronic bassline.

Match #3
    vs.

yu-gi-oh: decent bit music, kinda gives me a sense of danger? i dunno, don't know how to describe it cuz it's kind of repetitive and too plain imo.

n++: a fair mood-piece, with a nice relaxed vibe, but after the first two minutes i'm already tiring of it. it could've built up to something bigger, but eh, wasted opportunity i guess.

Match #4
    vs.

pitfall: nice jungle ambience in the background, really digging the powerful conga drums (they are those if i'm not mistaken), and the faint but nice chorus rising up and down in the background. mmm yes, i'm feelin it all the way to tha core. two thumbs way up.

kickmaster: this is kind of eh. it does give off a sense of trying to overcome impossible odds which i like, but it doesn't grab me or do anything new.

Match #5
    vs.

klonoa 2: the huge action-adventure vibe and the industrial ambience work pretty well in this one i guess.

hit and run: extremely wacky and the alien-like music only adds to that feeling. the chippy xylophone that comes in at one point is something i also dig, yes yes yes.

Match #6
    vs.

monopoly tycoon: i like this one but can't quite describe why, i just do. the organ and the drums are really pleasant and kind of whimsical, i guess i would say. good pick.

superhot: the first 34 seconds are really really cool, then it kind of veers off into just random electronic sounds. if the whole thing was like the beginning, i would've dug it more.

Match #7
    vs.

pictionary: this is from pictionary? whuh? anyway, it's a really fucking cool track that gets me movin. it kind of reminds me of rally x music but it's way more stylised and continuously blasts you with relentless energy, never letting up for a moment. lovely.

world of goo: a slow burn leading up to the beautiful strings, but once it gets there, oh my. very nice cinematic track that wouldn't be out of place in a scene where people stare out of a ship overlooking the earth. that's what i picture from this. ehh, it's close but i'm a fan of emotional pieces like this, so yeah

Match #8
    vs.

trials fusion: trials really gets going out of the gate. digging the vocals and the ultra futuristic feeling i get from it, but then there are points where it slows down for no discernable reason when it could be building to an epic, rocking conclusion. good overall, but that really hurts it for me.

ratatouille: ah, yes. the lovely violin, the exotic guitar, the piano, the xylophone that peeks its head out every once in a while, all of it combines to form a lovely dish that i can't wait to dig into. just like the pasta slides in these levels, mmm yes.
    Last edited by pax; 12-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.

- Bayonetta
    - Theme Hospital
    - dabp - Twunggg! (I Guess We'll Wait)
    - Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure
    - The Simpsons Hit & Run Soundtrack - Cell-Outs
    - SuperHot - Time To Move
    - World of Goo - Years of Work
    - Ratatouille - “Dream World”

Blog Entries

23 hours and 50 minutes remaining of Round 1-A!

@Miracle on 1010011010th Street, @Snowing Politely, @burnin', @Eggnog, @Jims, @Godot, @Matty, @deadname and I all still have yet to vote.
    @hopping through the snow you still have to finish your votes.
    @tormenteDeck the Halls and @The Thompsons, just a reminder, being disqualified does not stop you from taking part in voting.

Blog Entries

I start later around noon tomorrow so I'll do it tomorrow morning. And yes that does fit the deadline.

Blog Entries

1. ZombiU - "Meet the Nurse"
    2. Theme Hospital - "Doctor Frog"
    4. KickMaster - "The Witches' Forest"
    5. Klonoa 2 - “Volk Factory”
    6. Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme" (haven't heard this in forever... used to play this game a bunch when I was little)
    8. Ratatouille - “Dream World”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santaeaf View Post
    7. Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future”
    Trials is in the 8th match, you skipped the 7th one which is Pictionary vs. World of Goo.

Blog Entries

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    vs.

"Let's Dance, Boys!" was an awful lot of fun, a cool "electronic sax house" song. "Meet The Nurse" was completely different in mood, a dark, frantic drum driven song with tons of screeches, and fits the horror movie atmosphere perfectly. It's very close, but vote goes to Meet the Nurse.

Match #2
    vs.

"Doctor Frog" was a nice jazzy piano tune, with light strings in the background, but it was kinda bland, and too short. "Commador 64 Music" (It's CommoDORE 64 music, by the way) Was really cool, a funky groove with a cool distorted 8-bit bassline and blooping synths, with the classic C64 sound I love. Vote goes to Arkanoid.

Match #3
    vs.

Manipulated Mokuba Duel was a neat intense 16-bit piece (In the 2000s?) with good tension which fits the mood well. However I have to give the vote to "Twunggg" (What a name) it's a nice, chill electronic ambient song, the only complaint is that it's too long. N++ gets my vote.

Match #4
    vs.

"Ceiba Jungle" was a nice, tribal jungle tune, fits the mood of the game well. "Witche's Forest" was pretty nice 8-bit stuff, but Pitfall wins.

Match #5
    vs.

Wasn't a big fan of Volk Factory. To cartoony for my tastes. Cell-Outs was nice, tense orchestral music, love the theremin, gets my vote.

Match #6
    vs.

1960's Theme was very nice, love the organ soloing on top sounds very '60s, fittingly enough, would make a good Beatles track. Time To Move, however, was REALLY cool dance music, with a synth sound to die for. Gets my vote.

Match #7
    vs.
    Title Screen was a pretty cool, 8-bit song, surprisingly advanced for NES, love those driving synth grooves throughout. But Years Of Work is another World of Goo masterwork, a BEAUTIFUL orchestra piece with tons of great soft and loud sections. World Of Goo wins.

Match #8
    vs.

Welcome to the Future was a cool, futuristic dance theme, works well as title music. Dream World was nice enough French sounding music, but pretty blah. Trials wins.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

how did two people hear the wailing organ on the monopoly tycoon track and think Yes, That Sounds Like The Beatles

Blog Entries

5 Klonoa 2 - “Volk Factory”
    6. Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme"

God, I absolutely fucking adore the music of the Bayonetta games. So fun and within the context of the games stuff like "Let's Dance Boys!" comes with the most upbeat air to accompany the tone of "Let's fuck shit up and kill people with our witch powers and shit" imaginable. Super jazzy and dancey and I'm super glad we've finally had a track from it submitted (We did have someone attempting to submit the "Moon River" cover from Bayo 2 once before but because that's a song that originally exists outside the game I had to turn it away and it really bummed me out to do so because that's a great track as well). "Meet the Nurse" has that creepy warped lullaby/music box shit going on at the beginning and end which I despise with a passion. There's shades of it elsewhere too which irks me but it's still largely overpowered but the intense beat around it. It does a good job at being tense and action packed in a way that I'm sure probably works effectively within the game but outside of that it doesn't really do a whole lot to grab me.

"Doctor Frog" was quite pleasant. Fun, dinky little piano sounds and a goofy, relaxed vibe. It doesn't have much in the way of meat on it's bones but it works for what it is. The Arkanoid track starts off a bit too blustery in the sense that it sounded like I was listening to something being distorted by static through a partially busted speaker. It does get better as it goes on in becoming something closer resembling a tune but then loses it in the last 30-ish seconds which was pretty painful.

“Manipulated Mokuba Duel” was okay. Without ever having played the game it sounds sort of like something I'd expect to hear in an Egyptian level, if that makes sense. Like, I can picture a side-scrolling platformer being set to something like this sooner than I could a card dueling game. Could've stood to maybe be a littler shorter as by the last minute or so it sort of felt like it was just droning on a bit with not much else to offer or keep my attention with. N++ just blows it out of the water. Admittedly this is the sort of chill af instrumental stuff I'd listen to a lot anyway when I want something on in the background and that's why I'm so partial to it. Admittedly it also goes on for a bit longer than it ought to but it's chill enough for me to just get lost and not care so it's less of an issue to me than it was for the Yu-Gi-Oh track. For sure saving this one for future listens beyond this showdown.

Pitfall's some sweet old school jungle music. Love me some deep chanting too. I don't really have a lot to say about this one but I like it a lot. I've never actually played one of these games nor have I even seen gameplay of any of them beyond the original due it being considered a classic but this makes me wanna seek 'em out. I made the same mistake as @krampusmog did a few times when going over the list of tracks that were submitted and read it as "Kickstarter" lol, the name "Kick Master" actually sounds like one of those generic parody names you'd see in a sitcom where the kids all wanna play the newest ultra-violent video game. The track itself didn't leave much of an impression on me. Tense like a fight was gonna start but ultimately didn't seem to go anywhere and it just sorta passed me by.

"Volk Factory"... first off, man I need to play the Klonoa games. They seem really fun and I've heard some great stuff about them over the years. This has some very cartoonish industrial sounds going on which I always find super charming anyway, doubly so when they're used to create a beat. Nice horn usage too. *Sigh* And then there's Hit & Run. Look, it's a fine game, but I really don't find much of the OST super memorable sans a select few tracks. I think my words when this got played in Discord were something to the effect of "WACKY HALLOWEEN BULLSHIT!" which.... yeah, that's still more or less how I feel about this.

The watery opening of "1960s Theme" kind of got a little "Dire Dire Docks" for me which was already very inviting, the organ, drums and everything else on top of this just made for an extremely cheery an pleasant listen. SuperHOT was SuperNOT for me . Audio quality wasn't super great it would seem due to how low it was and as much as I generally dig this style of music something about this just felt like it wasn't delivering anything particularly special or standout that could justify me picking it over something so silly and upbeat like that Monopoly Tycoon track.

Man, who'd have guessed a track from a fucking Pictionary game would be so balls to the wall energetic. This is pretty great. World of Goo... honestly, I'm kinda burnt out on seeing these tracks each time now even though they've been good in the past. "Years of Work" is ironically an apt. title because it felt like years of work just to sit through it. It was slow and I was bored out of my skull. This is the sort of thing where there's too little going on without surrounding context for it to stand on its own. Again a case of "This is something that probably works better within the game than outside of it".

I tried to avoid listening to tracks in full prior to the showdown actually starting because it's fun to wait, I guess? Treated myself to Trials Fusion early though and man, what a treat it was. I absolutely adore everything about this and will fully admit that it's "Look at all this cool shit in our trailer" music. It's the sort of thing that exists for the purposes of hyping you up and it does that wonderfully. I'm sad to see it not doing so well at the moment because honestly, I'd have been cool with this thing winning. “Dream World” is good and it does a solid job of sounding like something that would've fit into the movie well, but it's just not as enjoyable as "Welcome to the Future" is to me.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Bayonetta
    Arkanoid
    Twungg
    Kick master
    Simpsons
    Monopoly
    Pictionary
    Ratatouille

I'll expand my reasoning tomorrow after work. Just wanna make sure I get the votes in.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

That Bayonetta track is top notch, and absolutely does want to me dance. Meet The Nurse had a really cool, creepy vibe, but it just didn't live up to the energy of Let's Dance Boys.

I really like Theme Hospital, and I have a lot of nostalgia for its soundtrack. Doctor Frog is a pleasant little jazzy 90s track, and I definitely have a soft spot for it. There were parts of Arkanoid that I did really enjoy, but a lot of it descended into a chaos that was more headache inducing than enjoyable for me (which is really a shame, because what was good really was good).

Manipulated Mokuba Duel was fine. Nothing in particular was wrong with it. It failed to really grab my attention. Twunggg definitely had my attention right away, as it was very much the kind of track that fits to my taste. It sounds exactly like the kind of thing I would listen to, video game music or otherwise. I loved its chill electronic vibe.

I didn't completely love either one of these, but Ceiba Jungle had a cool enough vibe, and it was definitely more to my taste.

5. Klonoa 2 - “Volk Factory”
    Volk Factory had a great build to it, and a really enjoyable beat. I've never played Klonoa, but this made me want to. I do enjoy most of the Simpsons games' music, but it definitely has gotten to the point of "been there, done that." Nothing wrong with this track, but Volk Factory was better and fresher.

6. SuperHOT - “Time To Move”
    I have a huge soft spot for Monopoly Tycoon, and I have a lot of nostalgia for the music in it. This track is light and fun, and brings back some great memories for me. Time To Move was really enjoyable, and it definitely made me want to move. This honestly is the hardest pick so far. I am giving it to the one that is fresh to me, although I won't be disappointed to see my nostalgia jam get through here either.

That Pictionary track is absolutely jammin' and it was a blast to listen to. I really like the music from World of Goo (pleasant tunes, for a genuinely fun game), but I am a bit burnt out on seeing them in these showdowns. While I did still enjoy this track, I'd definitely prefer to go for the new listen.

Both of these were enjoyable, but I didn't completely love either. I found Welcome to the Future more enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Match #1

Bayonetta - Let's Dance Boys!
    v
    ZombiU - Meet the Nurse

Bayonetta's track has amazing instrumentals that flow well and make the song a total blast to listen to. ZombiU has decent ambiance and certainly fits the creepy/horror genre, but it didn't stick out much against Bayonetta. Still a decent track.

Match #2

Theme Hospital - Doctor Frog

v
    Arkanoid - Commodore 64 Music

Doctor Frog is fairly standard but I like to listen to it, a basic tune with a good vibe with the pianos. Arkanoid was essentially abusing the chiptune aside from a reasonably strong middle part, but the beggining and end was just unpleasant.

Match #3

Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction - Manipulated Mokuba Duel
    v
    N++ - Twunggg (I Guess We'll Wait)

This was a toughie as both didn't leave much of an impression on me, good or bad. As someone who played some Yu-Gi-Oh! games as a kid (yeah yeah), this certainly is a track from it. It does the job, it manages to make it somewhat intense, but I can't see it as anything beyond a standard battle theme from the series. For the winner, Twuungg, I like how soothing it is while keeping your attention with the higher intensity at intervals, even if it feels like a tease to something greater happening. It's a bit too long but I praise them for spicing it up to a certain degree.

Match #4

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - Ceiba Jungle
    v
    KickMaster - The Witches' Forest

Pitfall has such a fantastic jungle feel that I think it is the best jungle-related tunes I've heard. It uses what you'd expect but makes it very interesting and I enjoy how busy it is at times. KickMaster is fine but it does seem a bit samey to other tracks of its time/genre. Certainly decent but like match 1, its opponent manages to appeal more with its sound and variety.

Match #5

Klonoa 2 - Volk Factory
    v
    The Simpsons: Hit & Run - Cell Outs

Managed to save some time by not needing to listen to H&R as I've heard it countless times re-playing the missions it plays in as a youth. Does it fit the theme of said missions? Certainly. However as a stand-alone, it doesn't really do anything for me. It does have a nice sci-fi Halloweeney vibe, but it doesn't go anywhere interesting like Klonoa does. That is a nice fun tune, not GREAT but I do like where it goes at the end and the build up is solid.

Match #6

Monopoly Tycoon - 1960s Theme
    v
    SuperHOT - Time to Move

Now board game music can get grating rather quickly, and Monopoly Tycoon was no exception near the end but I'll be fair to it. The tune itself just sounds so cheery and relaxing to listen to. It also has the decency to offer a small break from the happy-go-lucky nature with a middle part that tones it down. SuperHOT is...ok? It's a mess really, I don't mind the start but the middle part was grating and unpleasant.

Match #7

Pictionary - Title Screen Theme
    v
    World of Goo - Years of Work

Pictionary is into your face so quickly that I adore it. The flow and variety it offers is incredible and it's a nice jam. It does end abruptly but the rest of the track kicks ass and it will probably go far into this showdown. World of Goo, on the other hand, is the opposite. It is pleasant and fine to listen to but also a bit boring in truth. A nice but uninteresting ambiance.

Match #8

Trials Fusion - Welcome to the Future
    v
    Ratatouille - Dream World

Trials Fusion is odd as it starts off well but tallies off and declines in quality as it goes on. It is charming in its own right but I dig how busy the Ratatouille track is. Never loses my attention and I like how it sounds.

Blog Entries

Hey everyone, just a heads up. Posting from my phone because I'm not at my house right now but shouldn't be too long before I get home. Round still ends in about 5 mins. Sorry for the delay in getting results/the next round up. Thanks for your patience.

Blog Entries

Not far off an hour later and I'm home which... again, sorry about that.

VOTING OVER FOR ROUND 1-A!

Results shortly.

Blog Entries

RESULTS FOR ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Bayonetta - “Let's Dance Boys!” (13)
    vs.
    ZombiU - "Meet the Nurse" (2)

Eliminated: ZombiU - "Meet the Nurse" (Nominated by @Glenn_Quagmire)

Match #2
    Theme Hospital - "Doctor Frog" (8)
    vs.
    Arkanoid - “Commador 64 Music” (7)

Eliminated: Arkanoid - “Commador 64 Music” (Nominated by @Eggnog)

Match #3
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction - “Manipulated Mokuba Duel” (3)
    vs.
    N++ - “Twunggg (I Guess We'll Wait)” (12)

Eliminated: Yu-Gi-Oh! Reshef of Destruction - “Manipulated Mokuba Duel” (Nominated by @Miracle on 1010011010th Street)

Match #4
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - “Ceiba Jungle” (10)
    vs.
    KickMaster - "The Witches' Forest" (5)

Eliminated: KickMaster - "The Witches' Forest" (Nominated by @zach)

Match #5
    Klonoa 2 - “Volk Factory” (8)
    vs.
    The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs" (7)

Eliminated: The Simpsons: Hit & Run - "Cell-Outs" (Nominated by @santaeaf)

Match #6
    Monopoly Tycoon - "1960s Theme" (10)
    vs.
    SuperHOT - “Time To Move” (5)

Eliminated: SuperHOT - “Time To Move” (Nominated by @hopping through the snow)

Match #7
    Pictionary - “Title Screen Theme” (12)
    vs.
    World of Goo - "Years of Work" (3)

Eliminated: World of Goo - "Years of Work" (Nominated by @Eggnog)

Match #8
    Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future” (5)
    vs.
    Ratatouille - “Dream World” (10)

Eliminated: Trials Fusion - “Welcome to the Future” (Nominated by @Glenn_Quagmire)

Round 1-B will be up shortly.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

Oof there go two of my tracks. Still half two left!

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - “VR Mission [Sneaking]”

Like the sax in this

2. Kingsley's Adventure - “Carrot Castle”

Both feel a tad repetetive but I like this one more.

3. Neo Turf Masters - "Japan"

Both good tracks, but I dunno, this reminds me of the

4. Guitar Hero: World Tour - “Ted Nugent Guitar Battle”

Both very different yet very solid, but I really like the shredding in this one. The Harvest Moon track is all but guaranteed to win, though.

5. Wario Land: Shake It! - “Launchpad Labyrinth”

6. Ollie King – “Teknopathetic (e-Pop'n Disco 80's Mix)”

7. Mother 3 - "Pollyanna"

8. NiGHTS into Dreams - “Message From Nightopia”
    Last edited by ataeaf; 12-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries

yo sup haters here's some indulgent blathering that doesn't even count lmao

MATCH 1
    bayonetta: i can't explain why but im having a hard time with this one. it has a great energy and it's well Sexy AF with the fervent sax blowin and cooing vocals, it feels likes Some Shit is going down for sure, the way the first utterance of the sax ushers in the drums is great and the opening piano is is gorgeous and crystal clear. perhaps my issue is that the more layers this assembles the more it kinda swirls together, only the saxaphone ever really pokes through the veritable Sexy Carnival Smog (whatever that is?) of the rest. this arrangement isnt really lush and it feels like a lot of instruments trying to steal a spotlight instead of sharing it and becoming greater than the sum of its parts. this arrangement feels like a bunch of sounds trying to get through a doorway all at once so instead of any one getting through they all get jammed in there. still there are some lovely horn lines, the quiter moments offer some great touches, but theres too much of the piled on noise that doesn't ever do much but clumsily coalesce into a big amorphous blob. it's called let's dance boys but i have a hard time dancing when im not sure which part my brain is supposed to latch onto, especially when even the beat is having a hard time peeking out.
    vs.
    zombiu: the beginning of this with the spooky dooky music box and nursery rhyme is everything i dread about horror in general, tropey to the point of losing any actual effect. admittedly the percussion after that aint bad, a big metallic wall of gnarled percussion and the occasional screech and seizing violin. tonally it works but im not sure how much id actually like to listen to this once i really set back and take it in. upon deconstruction it does the job it seems its meant to but it just isn't actually that engaging compositionally despite that and becomes a bit fatigue inducing (which is the point but again i don't really Get horror and the feelings its supposed to inspire). the more claustrophobic it becomes im stricken with the sense that this is exactly what it's supposed to be, and good for it. you won't convert me with tried-and-true techniques in a genre i tend to avoid tho.

neither soared but i guess BAYONETTA

MATCH 2
    theme hospital: midi af. this is so dinky that it borders on charming but i dunno how listenable it really is, every sound is slim to the point of nearly nothingness, nothing pops and nothing ever insinuates that it is gonna, and the main lead that bloops its way onto the track in the second half doesnt much change that. this feels unfinished but i think that comes to the fact that it has no punch, no resonance, no nothing. i feel like its possible i could make this, and im bad at music. then it just sorta ends. apparently this is from a hospital simulator, well this music don't make me feel like im in the tense locale that is the bustling hospital, surrounded by people who need my help and being a cog in a very important machine that makes huge life-changing or saving differences. i feel like i'm in a store buying fruit or something in an earthbound fan game that i probably shouldn't have downloaded it i mean it only had 2 stars but i was bored and curious and at least they made original music? A for effort? well okay maybe like B- for effort. the rating for the parts beyond effort i'll omit to be polite.
    vs
    arkanoid: goddamn this is corrosive. whereas as the last track slipped due to wimpy textures this one is alllll texture, thick and searing and frazzled, drums that sound like television static and leads that bubble up like slot machines going off everywhere. there's even a bit of warmth given to the track via a simple progression that swoops in near the end, offering something straightforward and pretty so as to not completely rob it of humanity, before abruptly falling into these twitchy electronic noises that sounds like helicopter blades. i really dig this, and im a total sucker for just absolutely jacked up textures that sound like they've been run through a gauntlet of filters to sound as overdriven and insane as possible, yet even beyond that the melodic stuff is great too from the ricocheting lead synth to the hum of the synth beneath the madness. love this.

easily ARKANOID.

MATCH 3
    yu-gi-oh!: this almost sounds like it coulda been in one of those gba rayman games. ever played those? i have. i have played those. the little twinkles of flute are nice, the array of leads they go for makes it feel efforted and the strings while dinky have that N64 vibe that im unable to shake becuase perhaps childhood or maybe i just love cheap sounding instruments in the right context. the marching snare is pretty lame however and god the bass is just too much, it doesnt need to be in the foreground like that especially considering the fact it may very well be the most flimsy texture here, whereas some of the synth sounds are actually pretty engaging and could have been pushed into the spotlight to accentuate the energy of this thing and make it a bit more imposing. the bassline is just not really supporting the energy of the track and could have been revamped, the best moments are when it actually disappears barring a few sputters. a more minimal approach coulda made this suprisingly really good but as it stands there are enough enjoyable hooky lead melodies to keep me listening.
    vs.
    N++: YO dont be six minutes? i do like this gradual build, it's quite lovely with the sounds like digital steam and delicate twinkles and shimmers as the pianos slowly climb out of the murk and whispers of sonar-like synth echo endlessly. it feels deeply aquatic but it also feels as though it is attempting to reach the surface, the feverish hammer of the pianos coming to the forefront just enough to show the anxiety they exhibit, as though they're desperately trying to be heard only to be pushed back down. the latter half where they toy with more Chip-y sounds is neat too. i can't help but still feel like this doesn't quite merit the length and it feels as though with all this time it would have a firm point to make, some destination, but there are more often fakeouts to this sort of thing, a feeling that you'll finally surface only to be plunged back into the depths you started at. on one hand thats frustrating, on the other it may just be the point. either way a definite grower, the first time this kinda slipped past me but im pretty entranced. i just wish i knew where i was going.

not an easy one but im gonna go with N++

MATCH 4
    pitfall: the mayan adventure: nostalgia bonus! i grew up playing this a bit via Totally Legal Means *aggressively shifts eyes*. i'm a Drum Man so obviously this is my jam, there's a great sense of adrenaline and movement, the arrangement is ever so slightly lush with it's juxtaposed xylophoney plinking and airy synths wafting in between the veritable jungle of percussion, so all-encompassing and towering that they assemble this wall of bubbling textures, the lighter elements traversing between them with agility and grace. oh and that breakdown where the drums lock in step with that hushed lead, it feels like going from being daunted by the onslaught of the world around you to becoming One with it, becoming the adventurer. ideal music for this sorta game for sure and on it's own it makes you feel like a goddamn warrior.
    vs.
    kickmaster: i feel like this must be a nostalgia thing because unless you have a fond attachment to this i can't see why it would crop up in your mind as particularly memorable. it isn't bad, perfectly adequate arrangment, some fine tension in the builds, an energy that makes you wanna take on the world it underscores, but i dunno i just have nothing to say about it. perhaps that's egotistical, blaming the art for my lack of evocative wording. it's also what like maybe a half-minute piece looped thrice? nothing wrong with that at all especially in vgm context but you gotta Come With It if that's the game you're playing and yeah this doesn't really do that for me. it's fine, i wouldn't mute it if i played KickMaster.

non-point goes to PITFALL

MATCH 5
    klonoa 2: the industrial clatter that made zombiu's track imposing but actually going beyond that and benefiting from some lurching horns and huffs and puffs of bass underneath. definitely inspires images of construction and conveyor belts, very militant but not joylessly so as it maintains a playful sensibility with freeform horn spurts that feel like record scratches and a consciously rhythmic take on the metallic clanging that permeates the track, less desiring to disturb you and more just to paint an accurate picture. makes me think of that kirby 64 factory level. you know the one. yes you do. yes you fucking do shut up. good stuff, makes me wanna dive into volk factory. i really should play klonoa somehow.
    vs.
    hit n run: i feel like im in an elevator in a goosebumps episode. stop picking shit from this game. this is why simpsons fandom needs to be healthily contained lest you begin thinking Anything associated with the brand is worth offering up to people.

*sneeze* KLONOA.

MATCH 6
    monopoly tycoon: the happiness in that organ is downright oppressive, it's terrifying, almost torturously gleeful to a level that feels evil, the kind of manufactured joy that is so very plastic and so very upbeat that it feels intent on selling you something and playing to your emotions, it feels MANIPULATIVE. but this is monopoly tycoon after all so that kinda makes sense. beyond the disturbed joy of it all it's frankly rather grating, that sunshiney tone is Incessant my god, it just doesn't let up. it feels like some goofy old cartoon, every man woman child building plant and every goddamn star in the sky synchronized in knee-bendy jaunt. there is something almost hilarious about it but i dunno it definitely gets to ya. it just....goes. chalk me up as Undecided on this.
    vs
    superhot: i hate to be a sourpuss about everyone's favorite electronic genre of today but i'm getting really goddamn sick of synthwave and things of that ilk. i dont think its a bad genre but there is such an influx of artists doing stuff that doesn't really stick out in a genre that is fundamentally a bit of a textural Expansion Pack of synthpop music and little else. it can offer some fun textures and the occasional brilliant nostalgic jam but this isn't really one of those. this is more what i expect from the genre albeit a bit less intrinsically melodic and more founded on a spontaneous feeling lead that squirms around endlessly, which should be entertaining but it opts so firmly to stick to a lack of convention that it never hooks me and this is Pop music so it kinda needs to do that. i'm not digging the opening chord progression and the more erratic moments never engage me, this feels weirdly passive despite the energy behind the lead, the rest just sorta ambles, mushing its feet deliberately into digital muck, its weirdly lifeless to me. it doesn't make me feel like anything is really happening, no real excitement, i dont really picture any event nor do i feel hyped or anything. this music just feels like being in stasis in a crazy sci-fi world that definitely harbors possibilites but that i can't venture into because here i am just floating about, unable to move and only getting faint glimpses of What Could Be. i think we're making too much of this stuff.

uhhh wow non-point goes to MONOPOLY TYCOON i guess. weh.

MATCH 7
    pictionary: Fuck Yeah Pictionary! my adoration of any individual NES tune largely relies on how well you can make the percussion knock my dick into the dirt and consider my dick Dirty because yowza those things punch like Some Professional Boxer im bad at sports. really tho this feels less like pictionary and more like you're about to engage in the fight of your life, hundreds upon hundreds of people watching you. you're anxious but you're fuckin Ready. but it's pictionary. give tim follin credit for not letting that fact cause any less effort to be put into the track tho, the build in the opening is stellar, starting with one arpeggio, bringing in this one tiny metallic noise while doubling the arpeggio and then slipping a wobbly synth under that while playing twice before finally kicking into the main progression. it creates this subtle build that takes only seven seconds to make its point, feels like some shit is about to go down but doesn't overstate itself nor does it need to make you pay attention. it grabs you by the collar or and makes itself noticed without making a fuss. then of course those stellar descents that tumble and roll, like the fight has started and the adrenaline has kicked into overdrive, before regaining focus as you align your senses with the energy of the moment. but it's pictionary. what can i say, this is top shelf NES stuff and it proves that vgm is excitingly unpredictable stuff, you never know where the gems lie.
    vs
    world of goo: i've written plenty of salty diatribes about this kinda shit. go find 'em yo.

*cough* PICTIONARY.

MATCH 8
    trials fusion: starts pretty generic then becomes laughable with the WELCOME 2 THA FUSCHIA vocal. i aint got much to say about this one, i guess it suits the sort of larger than life approach to this game, which i do wanna play as it looks pretty massive despite me not being a big vehicle based game guy. sorry i dont really have any words for this, which of course is the composition's fault. i like that one little bit of percussion that gets glitchy and speeds up, sounds like a bike revving up fittingly, the various skittery percussion is pre good all around. the rest? well its just sorta exactly what i expect outta these games and that just isn't exciting nor does it fall into my area of interests. sorry.
    vs
    ratatouille: Composer: Ed Sheeran. honestly that was the first thing i though when the energetic opening strum kicked in. its got this clarity and *clack* that makes it pretty hooky and thats a good thing because as the loungey pianos and swooning violins come underneath it has juuuuust enough of a thick Snap to the strum that it doesnt get lost, helping carry the track underneath. the back-and-forth at the beginning is great too with the more flamenco guitars jolting on the other side. theres even a bassline but it doesn't feel as flavorful as the rest and is more just foundation. there's a great feeling of passion in this, fittingly Francey. i could have even seen something like this in a montage in this movie, feels like someone getting lost in their passion, be it for a significant other or for their job or something. as the music builds the person becomes progressively more engulfed by that passion. it feels like dancing through life, making every moment rhythmic and colorful. only issue is that its just a bit too short and ends sorta abruptly. still great.

non-point goes to RATATOUILLE

stay tuned for my 1b thoughts sometime in january.

Blog Entries

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - “VR Mission [Sneaking]”
    World of Goo - "Regurgitation Pumping Station"
    Neo Turf Masters - "Japan"
    Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - “Mid Summer Memories”
    Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - “Voyager”
    Biker Mice From Mars - "Circut"
    Mother 3 - "Pollyanna"
    NiGHTS into Dreams - “Message From Nightopia”

Thread Information