Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the last video game you played?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

skyrim: special edition: just doing nothing but exploring/entering eerie caves and finding vampires who i have no hope of defeating right now. i also encountered more wolves who aren't animating, so

the game still has annoying bugs like this but the experience of going through it all again is quite refreshing.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Undertale. Just started playing it a few months ago. Past that part with the leaves. Ugh, that was a bit annoying.

Blog Entries

nba 2k13: doing like i did on the 360 version and scoring endless amounts of points in MyCareer mode (on pro difficulty of course because i'd never be able to do this on all-star or above). it's not always the most fun thing to do, but since i'm essentially breaking the game i'm going to continue with it.

was trying to beat my highest total of 168 points in a single game, and i was on pace to do that because i managed to score 117 through 3 quarters with almost exclusively fadeaway 3 pointers, but then the Magic coach benched me until .5 seconds were left in the game. hate the coaching AI

EDIT: played another game, got to 141 points before being benched again mid-way through the 4th quarter
    Last edited by pax; 01-24-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Blog Entries

Columns (3DS VC). Not much I have to say, but I like playing these types of puzzle games. Haven't played it that much since I got it, but I want to get into it more, try to see how long I can go without getting a game over.

FFXV (yes I am still playing that) had its Moogle Chocobo Carnival DLC out. I've already completed it. It was really cute and fun but...need more things to do, yo. Can't complain too much, I suppose, for something that was free. It's just a weird feeling to finish it and go back to the main game like "well, I guess that was it."
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

FIFA 17- After a great few seasons as Wolves Manager, I've decided to start a Player career in one of the lowest rated EFL teams , Grimsby.

I spent the most of my first year (bar one tournament with Grimsby) playing in Ireland's Airtricity League for Dublin's Bohemians and won the Golden Boot player of the year award before returning to Grimsby. I've requested a transfer as I'm too good for them now.

WWE 2K17: Just having dream fantasy matches before the Hall Of Fame DLC is out, oh what fun'll be had with the Freebirds and the Von Erichs in a WWE game at last.

Blog Entries

Star Wars: Battlefront II - Galactic conquest, Imperials. The Dagobah battle vs the Rebellion is haaaaaard man. I have to use reinforcement garrisons every time in order to even have a shot at winning, because it's hard to see + the ai troopers on my team are incompetent af on this map in particular. Plus elite difficulty on the PC version is much more difficult than the console counterparts for whatever reason.

NBA 2K17: I tried MyCareer mode again, still cannot hit a wide-open 3 with a 92 3PT rating. Had to keep myself from flinging the controller. Went to MyLeague, simmed a few seasons, and it got weeeeird because players started retiring super early for some reason. It got to the point where auto-generated rookies were retiring at like age 23 or so.

Blog Entries

The last video game I played (not counting smartphone games) was the first Project X Zone a few days ago. I've been playing it on and off the past few weeks, and I'm now playing through chapter 22. The gameplay gets repetitive after a while, but I do enjoy the tactical-based RPG stuff.

Blog Entries

SpaceEngine: Accidentally stumbling upon a black hole (or warping to one only to get stuck in it) has to be the only time any game has ever given me anxiety. Just going inside of one and seeing the light of the universe growing smaller and smaller until nothing but darkness... *shudders*. And all the while, this eerie music plays whenever you get near one so yeah:

Blog Entries

Yoshi's Wooly World. My friend showed it to me, showing me how Amiibos can be used to make Yoshi skins.

Blog Entries

Just started playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Perfect introduction to the Switch, I might add.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stick of Truth. On my, maybe 5th? 6th? My somewhere around that-replay. Gotta quench my thirst for Fractured somehow.

Blog Entries

Been playing The Amazing Spider-Man game from a while now (yes, I know, I'm playing a game based off of a five year old movie from a failed movie franchise...I meant to get it earlier but never had the time), and honestly, I thought it was alright. The gameplay was pretty solid, the graphics were nice, there's a nice number of side-quests to do here, and I thought the original story was pretty interesting and I did like the more damage you take, the more damage the costume gets. Although I did notice that it feels like the game's combat system is trying to copy the Batman: Arkham series at times, what with emphasis on countering enemies, getting behind guarded enemies, and using silent takedowns from the shadows (though there is no easy to tell how many goons are left in a building like in the Arkham series, making stealth sections harder then they need to be). It was also nice to have Bruce Campbell come back in a Spider-Man game for one last time. Really, the most annoying part of the gameplay for me is the lack of health bars, instead they just do that thing you see in first person shooters where the screen turns red on the sides and the main character starts breathing hard when they take too much damage. That means even the bosses don't have health bars either, so the boss fights (except for the ones involving robots) usually just end up being about you punching them a lot, with no indicator of how much damage your doing, until either a cutscene suddenly plays or a quick time event happens.

The most interesting thing for me is that I remember back when this game first came out, the developers actually said this game was suppose to be canon to the film and was an epilogue to it. They talked about how the director and producers of the film were heavily involved in the process, picking which characters could be allowed to appear in the game or be reference so as not to interfere with future sequels, giving off this impression of a perfectly unified franchise that was being carefully thought out. Then the second film hit, and those same producers went "nah, never mind", and introduced their versions of Alistair Smythe, Black Cat, and Rhino that are completely incompatible with the ones introduced in this game, meaning this game was non-canon after all and all that work trying to make it canon was for nothing. I feel like this is just more proof that the Amazing Spider-Man franchise was just rushed and poorly thought out. But at least it explains why most of the villains in this game are mostly just c-listers or just really minor villains (like really, why else would this game go out of it's way to include Vermin and Iguana, of all characters?)

Also, you never see Peter's face in this game. Everytime he's unmasked it just cuts to a first-person perspective. It's really annoying because it's painfully obvious that their only doing this because the developers could not secure the rights to use the likeness of Andrew Garfield for this game. But really, why is that? They got Peter to look like Tobey Maguire (and voice him too) in the games based off of the Spider-Man Trilogy, why couldn't they do that with Garfield here? What, did he just not want to be part of this game or did they just not have enough money to afford his likeness? It just makes the first person perspective stuff obnoxious because it's clear why their doing it. Speaking of which, Dr. Conners is the only character who really looks like his movie counterpart, as Gwen doesn't really resemble Emma Stone outside of the hair (although that might just be because they poorly designed her face then anything else), and none of the characters are voiced by their movie counterparts (though they all do pretty well in their roles, so it's not that big of a deal). And for some reason, almost all of the alternate costumes in this game are either dark red or black. I mean, they look cool and all, but there's been dozens of different outfits that Spidey has had throughout the decades, couldn't they have been more creative and chosen some that had brighter colors? Literally four of the eleven costumes in this game are just Spidey wearing a variation of almost all black costume, I think they could have used some variety with costume choices here.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

FIFA - been playing since 97. Patiently waiting for FIFA 18 now

Blog Entries

I forgot what they were called, but I played some Star Wars podracing game and some Kaiju/Giant Monster Battle Fighting Game at my friend's house on PS4 prior to our Labyrinth party. Unfortunately that system really lacks too many multiplayer games, particularly non-licensed ones, but those were pretty fun. (I recall a Star Wars Podracer game on N64 that I liked a long time ago)

Yeah that's Ep I: Racer. I had that; it was better than the Ep 1 adventure game on PS1.

Blog Entries

Wonder Boy/Girl: The Dragon's Trap

Excellent remake. Beautiful art style and stellar soundtrack. I play on Switch, but I hear it's great on every platform.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: deadname

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

Gotten back into Oblivion lately. It may not compare to Morrowind or Skyrim, but it's honestly still a fantastic game, and a blast to play.

Blog Entries

Wrestling Mpire Remix: I created a wrestler named "Flyin' Ryan", progressed a little ways, then had a dynamite PPV match and got my leg blown off. Woohoo?

Blog Entries

i just beat stephens sausage roll

it was wonderful

there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

I'm a huge fan of the Mario and Luigi series, and Bowser's Inside Story is one of my all time favorite games (and probably my favorite DS game ever), so I've been meaning to play this for some time now. I admit, I wasn't sure how good it will be, because of how amazing I found Bowser's Inside Story to be (and because I didn't think the series needed to be continued, I used to think that the third game was going to be the last one), but I find this game to be a pretty fantastic follow-up, and I am enjoying the dream gameplay a lot.

Oh, and the music is incredible. The music keeps getting better and better with each Mario & Luigi game, and Dream Team probably has one of the best soundtracks in a Mario game ever, especially the boss theme tunes. Though I am noticing that in each game, the soundtrack is starting to sound more and more like something you would hear in a Kingdom Hearts game (and yes, I'm aware they share the same composer).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Politely View Post
    Gotten back into Oblivion lately. It may not compare to Morrowind or Skyrim, but it's honestly still a fantastic game, and a blast to play.
    I have fond memories of the Dark Brotherhood and coliseum questlines, which are still amongst the series best. Got that one DB guy to turn me into a vampire but it never worked

WWE '13: only went back to this after playing 2k17 got a little old, and oh boy, this is unplayable now. No stamina, no limited reversals, and everything feels very arcadey and disconnected. Plus everyone made in the character creator looks related, barring a few preset faces. This has not aged well tbh

Started Broken Age last night and already love it. I chose to start with Vella's story and then somewhere in Merifort I selected the boy's icon and played Shay's story for a few. I don't know which one I wanna keep playing through, it's so neat. I love that they don't point things out to you and you can just figure out solutions completely on your own for the most part.

Blog Entries

Played God of War: Ascension, since I haven't played the God of War franchise in a long time and I wanted to get back into. I forgotten how obnoxiously hard the games can be. The graphics look absolutely stunning though. Not just the bosses and enemies, but all the backgrounds and locations, clearly a lot of work was put into them and the game looks amazing for it.

Also this is like the most human depiction of Kratos I've seen in a God of War game, mostly because they toned down his random murderous rampages and just had him constantly getting screwed over by the villains, plus more scenes of him acting nicer. Pretty impressive, considering that Kratos is usually written as a blood-thirsty violent borderline psycho.

So overall, I really enjoyed the game. But really, I have to pay $10 extra to buy the multiplayer so I can actually play it? What a stupid idea.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 06-24-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Fight Night Champion: I just like the dream match potential, really.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Earthbound.

Blog Entries

I'm playing interactive fiction like A Mind Forever Voyaging right now. I can tell these games are pretty good.

The Wolf Among Us, I really really loved The Walking Dead so I'm looking forward to playing more of this. I'm in love with the format! But I keep wondering if it's a waste to play alone, haha... I thought it was more fun watching my siblings play Walking Dead than actually playing it (both are fun though) but maybe it'd be liberating to play it alone. hm.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Politely View Post
    Really? I always thought that Oblivion was "better" or more high-brow than Skyrim, I never got into Oblivion frankly because Skyrim was much more friendly towards beginners of Elder Scrolls games... I like Skyrim a lot, but Oblivion simply had better, more interesting quests imo (haven't played it but have basically seen it all since both my brothers used to play it) I started to play Morrowind, as a concentration exercise if nothing else haha although I pretty much have to leave the dungeon I'm in and walk all the way to the city 'cause I was not prepared for this and that has been put to an indefinite hold
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

@Tromboon You appear to have asked for a nerd ramble. It would be rude of me to deny you this. :P

The fast travel system in Oblivion is incredibly basic, and while it's new user friendly, it does take from gameplay a lot. You can instantly travel to a large number of places on the map without ever having been there, which means the need to explore is decreased drastically, and any of the games golden finds are more easily missed. Morrowind's altogether lack of a fast travel system was definitely a more challenging aspect of the game, as you had to either walk or find an in game method of travel, but Skyrim did go with a happy medium. That said, you aren't exactly missing out hugely on the lack of exploration given that about 80% of the landscape looks exactly the same, with rolling green hills and leafy trees.

Oblivion has the least rewarding main quest out of any of the games. You don't even get the glory of being the hero, nor do you get as many abilities or as much equipment. Arguments can definitely be made in favour of the Thieves Guild or Mages Guild questlines, but the Dark Brotherhood questline is better in Skyrim for sure. The side quests are far better in both Morrowind and Skyrim. Fighters Guild type of stuff gets progressively better with each game. Oblivion was a definite weak spot for expansion content, even though Shivering Isles kicked ass. Rewards in general tend to be pitifully small in Oblivion compared to the other games. To be fair, it does have better character building aspects than Skyrim, which I think got too watered down.

Oblivion does have certain things about it that are great, don't get me wrong. It's just not as memorable as Morrowind or Skyrim. I'm really hoping that whatever they decide to do next (fingers crossed for Elsweyr) blows all of the games out of the water.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tromboon

Quote Originally Posted by Tromboon View Post
    The Wolf Among Us, I really really loved The Walking Dead so I'm looking forward to playing more of this. I'm in love with the format! But I keep wondering if it's a waste to play alone, haha... I thought it was more fun watching my siblings play Walking Dead than actually playing it (both are fun though) but maybe it'd be liberating to play it alone. hm.
    Loved TWAU. I keep meaning to read Fables. I only ever play these games alone but I think it's a fine experience. I was taken aback by some revelations.

Thread Information