Thread: Pre-cancellation VS post-renewal Family Guy animation quality

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

Pre-cancellation VS post-renewal Family Guy animation quality

So I was watching an old Family Guy episode from its 1999-2003 run the other day, and noticed how much less static the characters looked. In more recent seasons the characters invariably always hold the same pose. In the earlier seasons (S1-5 approx, or 1999-2006) the characters somehow appear less static/2-dimensional and they have a greater sense of fluidity to them. What happened here?

Same as the Simpsons, I'm guessing. Technological advances allow for more consistency and fewer off model shots, but a digital method of production has a tendency to drain the character out of visuals and leave them looking bland and flat if the animators aren't putting their all into it. And we know nobody at FG gives a shit. The lack of effort is especially obvious in the out-of-place CGI they implement from time to time (the car that ran over Brian, holy fuck) and the lack of character fluidity, which is really nothing other than sheer laziness.

Blog Entries

Depends how you look at it.

The old animation was sloppier and tended to be more off model. But it also had more fluid character movement, posing, and heart.

The new animation is dull and stagnant. Characters are fairly expressionless and move at and even and predictable pace.

Much like the simpsons, I prefer the old animation. Animation should be fun and full of movement and expression imo, and the new animation style really doesn't capture that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

the animation has always been pretty bad, even in the older seasons it was really only marginally more fluid. the show was also extremely ugly for the first 2 production seasons, i mean I prefer it over the newer insanely stale and lifeless animation but not by much tbh

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Traviud View Post
    Same as the Simpsons, I'm guessing. Technological advances allow for more consistency and fewer off model shots, but a digital method of production has a tendency to drain the character out of visuals and leave them looking bland and flat if the animators aren't putting their all into it. And we know nobody at FG gives a shit. The lack of effort is especially obvious in the out-of-place CGI they implement from time to time (the car that ran over Brian, holy fuck) and the lack of character fluidity, which is really nothing other than sheer laziness.
    Yeah, I guess. The FG animation has never been particularly good, though the problems have changed. Earlier seasons did not use standard templates however the characters were commonly off-model. In newer seasons characters are rarely off-model but everything appears flat and lifeless due to excessive use of templates.

However unlike The Simpsons, Family Guy has always used digital animation.

Can anyone confirm the season in which the FG animation adopted the flat template style that we see in newer seasons?

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 7, I think.

Animation started to look stiff after the writers strike and it got worse when the show went HD imo.

Junior Camper

Why did it get worse after the writers strike?

Blog Entries

because the good writers are still on strike

Junior Camper

Well...

The strike only lasted a matter of months. Any reduction in quality should have only lasted a few episodes.

By the way, how did they voice Peter while Seth was on strike? A couple of episodes aired during that time (unfinished, I heard).
    Last edited by RJDG14; 11-05-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Yeah, Family Guy's animation went the same way as The Simpsons: It definitely looks cleaner and more on-model, but it is also more stale and lifeless since the characters aren't as expressive as they used to be.

I will say that this doesn't mean they can't take advantage of the technological advances in animation. American Dad has similarities with Family Guy in terms of how they look, but it manages to have more life and ambition in its animation. Besides, "And Then There Were Fewer" is arguably the most beautiful episode of FG in terms of animation, so it's not like they are unable to put more effort into the way the universe is drawn and colored. An episode like that would have never been made in the early days.

I prefer the earlier, pre-cancellation look as it has more charm but there is no question that the later episodes are nicer to look at when they have ambition (And Then There Were Fewer, The Simpsons Guy, A Lot Going On Upstairs, etc.).

Thread Information