View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Behind the Laughter

1 7.14%
  • 4/5 - Behind the Candelabra

3 21.43%
  • 3/5 - Behind the Music

6 42.86%
  • 2/5 - Behind Blue Eyes

4 28.57%
  • 1/5 - Behind a Dumpster at Taco Bell

0 0%

Thread: R&R - Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R - Family Guy - "Inside Family Guy"

Original air date: October 23rd, 2016

FAMILY GUY takes viewers behind the scenes of a regular FAMILY GUY production week, with James Woods as the guide. See the ins-and-outs of what goes into the making of a FAMILY GUY episode and watch the drama unfold as Peter is replaced and ends up in the office of Fox Television Group Chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman to pitch his very own new series.
    How to remaster

It was ok on post-2006 Family Guy standards.

Merry Christmas!

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Simpsons did it.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    Simpsons did it.
    Yes. Yes, they did.

This one had all sorts of possibilities, and yet it managed to go completely nowhere, mainly because it spent too much time with the whole "let's see what unemployed Peter is doing" storyline.

Also, it's a bit of a retcon, even within the FG universe; if Meg portrays herself, then the Lacey Chabert references from past episodes make no sense.

Blog Entries

At the very least it was something different, with obvious hit and miss results. I was greatly amused by them actually addressing the Brian's death bit as him leaving to do a movie, and some of the other meta gags such as the end when Peter reads the script and comments about his non-sequiter first act plots. It was also neat seeing some geniuine posters/"props" from old episodes scattered about actually making for some fun freeze-frame, but these were few and far between all of the usual shock humor gags and of course more random cutaways. Lots of opportunities were had to poke fun at themselves, including a wasted one to comment on the failure of The Cleveland Show, as well as having some fun with the cutaway writing more. James Woods seemed to be more in the vein of, "how many shocking things can we get James to say?" than anything geniunely funny and the subplot of Peter being out of work feels extraneous. (although I got a big laugh out of the Fresh Prince/Uncle Phil bit, thanks to the use of live-action)

The best thing that I can say is that I felt compelled to write something about it, because for the first time in what seems like ages they actually did something interesting with a modicum of care and effort. So just for that I'll give it a 3/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even though I thought this episode was good, I'm still a little let down since I thought it would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

Yeah, this was passable for what it was but still nothing outstanding. A lot of opportunity for jokes actually pertaining to the show's history tossed out the window in favor of dumb cutaways and long bits that didn't need to be in there like Peter being hit in the crotch with bags of nickels or Cleveland not knowing who David Spade was. Still, it could have been much worse. 3/5

Blog Entries

Well, it finally happened. After 15 seasons, they finally make a joke about Adam West being Batman. This is the first time, right? I'm pretty sure it is. If so, then congratulations on going 17 years with Adam West on your show as a recurring character before finally doing a joke about him being Batman, Family Guy.

Anyway, this episode was alright, but it felt kind of wasted at times. The plot started out pretty interesting, but then it lost focus around halfway thought and basically became another story. You'd think in an episode that's basically copying Behind the Laughter, there would be more meta-jokes and commentary on the series, but instead the whole story was derailed by the sub-plot of Peter getting fired and replaced by David Spade that ended swallowing the original story. There were so many missed opportunities to comment on: the completely different animation and tone of the original seasons, the show getting canceled and revived, the show's growing use of over the top gore and dark humor, Lacey Chabet being the original voice of Meg before being replaced with Mila Kunis, the show always being accused as a rip-off of the Simpsons, commentary on the show's decline and mocking some if its more unpopular episodes, the failure of The Cleveland Show, or the show's growing focus on Stewie and Brian. When they mentioned showing the show's "pilot", I thought it would actually be one of the real pilots for Family Guy. I was also surprised that they didn't have Seth MacFarlene show up as himself. I don't know, it feels like there was much more they could have done with the story.

Like I said, I didn't really like it when Peter's plot took over the episode. I guess it's nice that they acknowledged what a complete asshole Peter is usually written as now, and the twist that he gets fired by the show every week was kind of funny, but I still felt like he shouldn't have taken over the show. James Woods delivered a great performance, but he didn't seemed to have a lot to do, and some of his dialogue was weird and felt like it was there just to be shocking. I did enjoy the references to previous episodes, although I was surprised to see them acknowledge Lois having dated Gene Simmons and the Petoria flag. I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but to me, the show has spent so much time distancing itself from the original three seasons and ignoring it as much as possible, that whenever they do reference something that happened in those seasons, it always feels weird, like it's from a different show or something. I did enjoy seeing Brian's death being revealed as an excuse so he could star in an Old Yeller remake, Greased-Up Deaf Guy wanting a larger role, and Quagmire as a writer and a devoted Christian. David Tennant was wasted though.

The jokes were pretty good this time though. There were a lot of great moments for me, like everyone cheering for the Simpsons studio, Peter rehearing with balloons, Stewie's call to the studio and the callback to when he's wearing a Master Chef shirt, James the Cameraman, Peter getting kicked up Uncle Phil style, Brian killing the kid in Old Yeller, Greased-Up Deaf Guy, Peter with the T-shirt launcher, Cleveland not knowing who David Spade is, Peter's show idea, and Chris with the fancy car. There were also some pretty bad jokes too, the worst being the one where Lois admits Peter cheats on her with an underage intern in a scene that goes on far too long, or Peter dressing up as some character I don't recognize. Overall, it was an average episode that could have been much more, but out of generously, I'll give it a 4/5, because I felt the jokes were better and more memorable then usual this time around.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They had a rule to never make a Batman reference around Adam West because... I don't know why. But it would be pretty contradictory. I mean, this guy looks and sound identical to Adam West the actor, and shares the same name, but isn't him?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

They joked about him being a superhero in Viewer Mail #1, but I'm pretty sure this is the first direct reference to Batman with Mayor West.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    I mean, this guy looks and sound identical to Adam West the actor, and shares the same name, but isn't him?
    I think that's part of the joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    They had a rule to never make a Batman reference around Adam West because... I don't know why.
    I think the reason was that it was too easy a joke to make and they didn't wanna fall into a habit of doing Batman jokes with him early on, then as time went on and he got more insane they'd gotten so far away from him the real Adam West that it didn't really matter one way or the other.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the fact that they have avoided making Batman jokes made this one even funnier since they managed to make it so unexpected.

My feelings are pretty much the same as everyone else here. It was the first episode this season that didn't feel like a waste of time, and there were some pretty good jokes here like Brian getting killed off so he could shoot a movie and Peter's show idea. But there was some crap like the very first joke, and Cleveland once again being used to make fun of poor, uneducated black men with no job.

It's the best Family Guy episode I've seen in a while, but it's not going to have that staying power like "Behind the Laughter" did. I didn't think they went as no-holds-barred as they could have. There are plenty of things they could have done with this kind of plot and jokes they could have made but didn't. At least they're aware that Peter has turned into the world's biggest asshole.

So yeah, I'll give it a 3/5.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

I think the part with Peter quitting the show was partly done to make the plot distinct from Behind the Laughter, as is the idea of making the episode only go through a week, "live". Also was expecting a Simpsons joke and it ended up coming in the first few seconds.

Also, that very first joke was pretty bad. Not a good start. I did not mind the Peter quitting section, but there was indeed a lot of missed opportunities to be more meta. A shame because meta jokes is what the show does best now. The cutaways were expected because they always want to make use of the format bending episodes, like in Back to the Pilot. Gave it a 4/5. It's just a shame Family Guy gave us it's one 4/5 episode a season so early.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Even though I thought this episode was good, I'm still a little let down since I thought it would be great.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Thread Information