Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guilty pleasures

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm from Canada, eh. People think I'm slooooow.

For me it's quite simply Jersey Shore. I was big into it in high school, now it seems to be rearing its cultural head for me again, aha.
    please watch my duck cartoon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFA9fBhIeR8

Song of the South is kinda obvious here tho
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Haven't seen that movie but the song is nice

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah?

Yeah, they don't want us to remember the movie, but they keep cramming that song down our throats, along with the Br'er animals.

I remember I used to have these old Disney Singalong VHS tapes, and I heard that song, alongside "How Do You Do?" and "Everybody's Got a Laughing Place" over and over and wondered why Blockbuster never had Song of the South for rental.
    Last edited by BlueRibbonCommittee; 04-28-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Blog Entries

I've chosen to try something different. Not a show or movie this time.

"XBox Sign Out" Troll Videos

Why I Should Hate Them: What is an "XBox Sign Out" troll video, you ask? Well, it's when someone dons the screenname "XBoxSignOut" and goes into a game like Call of Duty and trolls everyone. This tempts the users to yell, "Stop that, XBoxSignOut!" in turn signing them out of their game. It's just so cruel and disruptive, not to mention I don't really like Call of Duty as a game regardless.

Why I Like Them: It's just so stupid it's funny to watch. Their reactions can just be priceless too ("What are you doing, XBoxSignOut? Ah, nuts!")

The Wiz

Why I should hate it: It completely shits all over one of my favourite movies of all time (The Wizard of Oz) thanks due its bad script, odd direction choices and weird casting choices (looking at you, Diana Ross).

Why I like it: It's so bad that's it's good. The hilariously bad plot points, the hit and miss songs and the set design which actually had a pretty good design to it. One song in particular I find very catchy.

Rewatched Hurry Sundown yesterday, definitely one of my favorite guilty pleasure

Blog Entries

10-minute YouTube Let's Plays

Why I should hate them: They're extremely dated and there's better ways to do them, even if you want to stick to YouTube

Why I like them: Sometimes I don't like watching in big chunks. It's also nice to help people out if it's a blind LP.

Blog Entries

All LPs would make me want to do is play the game they are playing.

Although they can be decent first viewings/sneak peaks of a game you never heard of. That's the only benefit I see from them and even then, I tend to go more towards raw footage.

Blog Entries

I'll often use LPs to try a game before I buy it. Also, if I don't get a chance to buy the Phoenix Wright trilogy before Otakon, I might use one for that (my friends want me to join their cosplay group as Dick Gumshoe).

Blog Entries

And now for something completely different... a song.

Juvenile - Back That Azz Up (That's no typo) (or Back That Thang Up) for the radio edit)

Why I should hate it: So I'm not the first person to completely dismiss a rap song, but dear god! This one is terrible! There's literally no scheme to it, it's just some guy saying a bunch of random lines right before repeating, "Girl, you look good, won't you back that azz (thang) up / You's a fine mother fucker (big fine woman) won't you back that azz up / Call me big daddy when you back that azz up / Hoe (Girl) who are you playing with? Back that azz up" with no consistent rhythm and half the time the rhymes are just reaching, if they even exist. And the radio edit is just fucking terrible. I mean, "Big fine woman"? What in the world?! There's many moments where they just had to skip a word... oh man... I think I'm going to cry if I keep continuing...

Why I like it: This is one of those "so bad it's good" songs, especially the edited version. I heard the edited version on the radio when I was little and not even knowing it was edited, I laughed at "Big Fine Woman". I can't listen to it without laughing just at how terrible it is... if I can even make out the words. I am reading the lyrics to both versions and barely able to contain myself.

Blog Entries

Romeo And Juliet (1996)
    Why I should hate it: It's a modern retelling of Shakespeare's classic play, with modern setting, characters, weaponry, and Leonardo DiCaprio... but the dialogue is all kept the same, which is a ridiculous juxtaposition. Plus, the acting is really cheesy, hammy, and over-the-top.
    Why I Like it: The juxtaposition may be ridiculous, but it's so funny! The funniest bit was near the beginning, when three cool guys, adorned in Hawaiian shirts, are cruising down the street and blasting loud music... and then start speaking proper Elizabethan English! I got a good laugh out of that bit, and the entire film's combination of modern setting and classic dialogue creates lots of goofy bits throughout the movie which I can't help but smile at. Also, even if the acting is ridiculous lots of scenes become pretty awesome, in particular the opening monologue is really cool here. We watched it in English class last year, and I must say I enjoyed it more than reading the play.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

I love Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet....but for different reasons than what you listed.

Blog Entries

Regal Academy

Why I should hate it: It's mostly just fluff.

Why I like it: It's mostly just fluff.

I'm not even trying anymore...
    Last edited by BlueRibbonCommittee; 05-05-2017 at 08:19 PM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Blog Entries

Yo-Kai Watch

Why I should Hate It: It's another one of those 'collect 'em all' Animes that's used to sell video games and toys to kids.

Why I like it: It has an interesting premise, genuinely funny moments, cute characters and although each episode has a 'formula' to it they're all cleverly written.

Blog Entries

I've heard the 3ds game is good, never gotten around to playing it though. also apparently the cartoon takes place in idaho, that's pretty neat.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

I don't have a 3DS myself, but by the looks of the games I'd get one if I could.

Yeah, it's not overt, but the few references made were pretty cool. Idaho is not a State (is it a state, or a capital?) that comes to mind instantly.

Guilty Pleasure: Dragon Ball (as a whole)

Why I should hate it: Bright colours, flashing lights, lots of fighting and fanservice make it seem very much a Boyish interest.

Why I like it: A great plot (Before GT, I lost interest after that), a deep, engaging roster of characters that you care about and tense, slow storytelling in-between the amazing battles are too good to pass up on.

Plus the Video Games (Raging Blast 2 and BT3 being essential) are too good to miss given their 'dream battle' potential.

Blog Entries

I've wanted to watch/play Yo-Kai Watch for awhile. I think it's on Netflix, I'll probably check it out soon.

Blog Entries

Liv and Maddie

Why I should hate it: It has all the makings of a giant ball of cheese.

Why I like it: It has all the makings of a giant ball of cheese.

I hope that joke isn't getting too old.

Blog Entries

when i was living with my dad my youngest half sister watched a lot of disney channel and that was on quite a bit. it was actually decent from what i remembered.

Blog Entries

I find it decent too. I'll explain later, I was just really tired and I felt like writing the same thing twice a joke, but before it gets run into the ground, here's a real one.

Black Butler

Why I should hate it: Ciel is one of the least likable protagonists in anything I've ever seen. He's extremely wealthy and priveleged and is a complete and utter dick to Sebastian, Finnian, Mei-Rin, Tanaka, and that guy who looks like Cid Highwind (Final Fantasy VII) whose name I don't recall. It's even worse knowing he has Sebastian, the spitting definition of a Gary Stu, at his beck and call. Talk about a flawless character... the closest thing Sebastian has to a flaw is the fact that he serves such a terrible person. I mean, Ciel wanted Sebastian to stop Tanaka from hanging himself... because it was destroying the room's design. And though it was only one episode, Tanaka's suicide jokes in that episode were just poor (think Moe in modern Simpsons). While the four other characters are more likable, I'm on episode 10 and only Finnian has had any sort of personality, with that bird he liked. Mei-Rin seems to exist solely to have a crush on Sebastian, and other than that, they are just characters whose lines are interchangable. It's really difficult to feel that Ciel is going through many hardships with all that he has. How am I supposed to feel sorry for him or ever be able to root for him?

Why I like it: Sebastian's Gary Stu tendencies do get a laugh out of me, even if it's not intended to. Plus, the stuff he goes through is actually kinda interesting even if he Gary Stus his way through it. I just saw the one with the Demon Hound and I really did laugh, even though I'm not 100% sure I was supposed to at all those times. I guess you could call this one of those "so bad it's good" type shows. I do hope we learn a little more about Mei-Rin, Tanaka, and the Cid Highwind guy because they could potentially be interesting.

Blog Entries

Disney As Told By Emoji

Why I should hate it: What is this, you ask? It's a series of YouTube videos on Disney's YouTube page where they go over Disney movies, old and new, and retell it via emojis. This is one of the stupidest and cheesiest ways I've seen a movie retold. I mean, they take such obvious routes (e.g. Moana battling "Tekamon Go") and it just makes me wonder why.

Why I like it: Well, it's not like they change the story, just condense it. They just retell a 90+ minute Disney movie in 5 or less minutes. Plus, they're a bit creative sometimes, like using a GPS app for "A Whole New World" or the Invitation Apps in Cinderella.

Grown Ups (2011)

Why I Should Hate It: Just another stupid Adam Sandler movie with some ridiculous humour and annoying characters, predictable and cheesey.

Why I Like It: I get that this movie is obviously no Citizen Kane or Godfather but I still enjoy it. Sometimes, a bit of stupid humour is all I need to entertain me. Grown Ups also evokes nostalgia for me, reminding everyone of the joys of childhood adventure and fun. Plus, I actually like a lot of the cast.

Blog Entries

My Life as a Teenage Robot

Why I Should Hate It: It's a bunch of stupid teen cliches, only she's a robot. There's the typical mean girls in Britt and Tiff, a pretty guy in Don Prima, a guy who crushes on Jenny (Sheldon) and it's really one sided and she'll never know, Jenny tries to be popular... yeah, you know it by now. The episodes are predictable: Jenny goes to school, she wanted something that will either make her popular or more useful. Despite Nora Wakeman's protests, Jenny will try it out anyway, only for it to blow up in her face (sometimes literally). Other times, she'll just do stuff when The Cluster invades and neglect The Cluster for whatever popular thing. If the former gives her so much trouble, why did she want to be a normal teen? Also, Tuck can be even less likable than Britt and Tiff at times.

Why I Like It: Its humor style isn't as zany or fast-paced as other Nick shows like SpongeBob SquarePants or The Fairly OddParents, which makes it stand out. Also, the show can be pretty darn creative at times, I must admit (favorite episode has the be the one where Jenny gets sent back to Kindergarten). I also like how it incorporates continuity despite being an episodic comedy (XJ1-8 and that one girl from the teen group come to mind, and especially that moment where Sheldon was flung into the Sun and stayed old).

Using power-leveling services in MMO-games is considered as something awful and guilty pleasure. But I don't agree with that and often use this site when I get stuck with gold in World of Warcraft. For example, my clan had some troubles with the last update, but we have figured it out thanks to boosting and extra gold.
    Last edited by Chuckster; 06-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

The Alphabet

Why I should hate it
    Its 19 letters that can be used to form a sundry words.Also I can’t help but feel its up to something nefarious and no one will prove me otherwise.If I could chuck potatoes from a point blank range at the alphabet I would and that tells you all you need to know.

Why I like it
    It keeps me on my toes and genuinely fills me with an uncontrollable fear that’s quite frankly exhilarating.In my teens years I had a family friend who hailed from Seattle who was a big proponent of Salsa & easy listening music(in that order)he also hated the alphabet.

Thread Information