Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Pitchin'!

0 0%
  • 4/5: Fun game.

4 36.36%
  • 3/5: Doesn't quite hit, but is okay.

3 27.27%
  • 2/5: A dull time with Chris in the spotlight...

3 27.27%
  • 1/5: Son of a pitch!

1 9.09%

Thread: Rate & Review: Family Guy - Bookie Of The Year

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review: Family Guy - Bookie Of The Year

Chris starts showing signs of agression, which in the process makes Peter and Lois discover he'd make a great baseball pitcher. But despite this, Peter and his pals are betting on him to fail at this profession. When he becomes a success however, Peter tries to make him throw in the towel. In a subplot, Brian and Stewie open an Italian restaurant, which results in them meeting their dear friend Frank Sinatra Jr. again.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

holy SHOOT no john viener! 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Maybe I'm in a good mood but I enjoyed this, heck the premiere probably could've gotten a 4/5 too in retrospect. This season might actually be great!

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

At least the Sinatra restaurant lives on. Yes, there is such a thing - it's at the Encore hotel (home of the $50,000 6L bottle of Cristal, at the XS club) in Las Vegas.

Blog Entries

no wonder the memoriam was at the start -- I wouldn't want my dedication to go out on a homophobic shock line either
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Enjoyed Sinatra Jr.'s song with Brian and Stewie, wish they had another one to end the episode on like the previous 2 Sinatra eps, but it's nice we got one last Sinatra/Macfarlane duet at least.

Not much to say on this episode. Baseball plot was straightforward, Restaurant plot was a mix of leftover Italian jokes they had from Boopa-De-Boppity and the previous Sinatra ep.

2/5.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The song wasn't that good imo. Why did Sinatra act like... That? Just thought of the perfect way to describe it. Like Mayor West. He acted literally like him, unlike his other two episodes.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He acted just like how any Family Guy character would act now, a blank slate that'll do/say casual wacky shit for other characters to react to.

Didn't think Sinatra was too bad here, but they could've easily done this exact same plot with another character entirely.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I can't believe how much Frank Sinatra Jr. sounds like his dad when he sings.

I was kinda hoping Brian & Stewie would've tried saving Frank S. Jr's restaurant with a fake kidnapping.. to parody the one his dad arrange yrs ago in hopes of kick-starting Jr's entertainment career. (Nobody really fell for it) .. F.S. Jr could've gotten a better celebrity roasting if Seth didnt idolized him so much. 3/5

Blog Entries

Frank Sinatra Jr. plot wasn't really anything at all beyond a good song though I did enjoy the way it ended. Chris' plot was better than I expected and I liked that they actually had Peter not be the total monster he usually is before learning his ways (Having it be the fault of the other guys was a good move).

Stuff I liked:
    Teaching an elderly Italian woman to use an iPad.
    Whack a Big Pussy
    Peter quoting the theme song prompting that sweet little moment between him and Lois. Wish they would do those more often. These characters are all abhorrent sacks of shit for the sake of a joke yet when they want to they can do little things like that which feel genuinely natural.
    Jesus' friend Evan.
    "Three strikes and he's out. Just like my cousin Freddie with the drugs" (Bruce is fun and I sort of forgot about him existing for a while).
    The montage of the guys making bank off of Chris' games
    I knew that fuckin' "WHAAAAT?!" gag was coming but I had a smile on my face regardless.
    The Archie comics outfits followed by "Wait a minute, teenagers don't have wheelchairs!"

Stuff I didn't like:
    What was with that awkward pause after Stewie said Peter would drive long distances for ice with colored liquid?
    The Jay-Z/Solange elevator fight cutaway was in pretty poor taste. Like, there was no joke other than "Y'know that shitty thing that happened where a famous man and a woman beat each other up in an elevator? Well, here's Peter making small talk over it".
    That Kickstarter slam was just... fuck off?

3/5
    How to remaster

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's the deal with the Kickstarter slam? You're a fan of it?

Blog Entries

I don't get it either. Maybe it's a joke about Frank Sinatra Jr. kidnapping (which his father started a kickstarter for so he could pay the ransom) that I missed. But even so, Sinatra Jr. seemed to be perfectly okay with the joke either way, so I don't see the problem.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

oss frank sinatra didnt make a fuckin kickstarter its just a joke about internet crowdfunding

Blog Entries

ahahaha

Blog Entries

incredible

Blog Entries

frank sinatra died in like, 1997 what the hell are you talking about OSS?

Blog Entries

Well, internet existed...

But Jr. was definitely kidnapped. I simply must've gotten the details around it mixed up.

Blog Entries

he was kidnapped in 1963 how the fuck did you come to that conclusion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    What's the deal with the Kickstarter slam? You're a fan of it?
    It was the "I just got a loan from the bank like an adult" line that felt like whoever wrote that was just being a bitter old dick.

Blog Entries

1963?!
    Jesus, I fouled up real badly.

I thought that line was funny, by the way. Kickstarters rarely ever work (When the heck is Cans Without Labels gonna be completed???), so I thought the slam was on-point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Final Swedination View Post
    Well, internet existed...

But Jr. was definitely kidnapped. I simply must've gotten the details around it mixed up.
    not only did kickstarter not exist in 1997, but this was a full 34 years before he died in the 1960s and sinatra paid for the entire ransom out of his own pocket

I don't even know what else to say but this is certainly a classic oss blunder

Out of the three episodes aired so far, this is the best one. That's not really saying much because I wasn't a big fan of it but there were some pretty good jokes here.

-Frank Sinatra, Jr. did act a little weird in this episode, especially at the beginning where he forgot Brian's name for some odd reason ("This is a bad start to whatever we're doing."). But he was funny enough and I guess I've gotten used to it because pretty much every character on the show acts like that now.

-Why does it feel like Brian and Stewie are just given a bunch of random plots now? I don't know, it's not as organic as before. They knew they wanted to include Frank Sinatra, Jr. again but they had no idea what to do with him until "Italian restaurant" popped in their head at the last second.

-They really love using Chris for masturbation jokes. Hey, remember when he was an artist? And had a paper route? And a job at the mini-mart? You know, actual stuff for him to do instead of just yanking it all the time?

-I think out of all the characters on this show, Peter has declined the most if not Brian. He's either an asshole, a brain dead manchild, or just a plain weirdo. Seriously, what was with that joke about him kissing the guy at the end?

-I don't get why the guys stopped taking bets on Chris. It shouldn't have been a secret in the first place that Chris was a great pitcher. Other schools would have found out and parents would bet against him just so they could be the first to see him lose. And if Joe knew that everyone was betting on James Woods to win, then there obviously had to have been people betting on them to lose. What, are these people just placing bets that no one wants to take? That's not how gambling works in sports.

-I just realized that Meg has said literally nothing so far this season. Was Mila Kunis unavailable for certain episodes or something?

-As much as Peter annoyed me in this episode, I liked that his plan wasn't to injure Chris like the guys thought it was. It honestly seems like something he would do at this point, so the fact that he didn't even think of it was refreshing. And Quagmire's arm getting broken was a nice form of poetic justice. It's rare that someone on this show actually suffers the consequences for what they did.

-I don't understand why Chris was never taken out of the game. I know they tried to handwave it by saying the coach was knocked out, but they have assistant coaches for that reason. The coach would have taken Chris out after the first pitch. What, were they still expecting him to play with a broken arm because they were waiting for someone to get on the mound? Nothing about that scene made any sense.

-The Jay-Z/Solange cutaway was a little funny, I guess. I think I cracked the code with these bits: They're only funny because they reference things that have taken place recently. I know this was more than a year in advance, but most people will still remember it, and laugh because they remember it. The Christian Bale cutaway was hilarious because of what Peter was actually saying. It felt like they were having a real conversation. Here, it's just Peter inserted into the elevator so he can say random stuff that no one else even reacts to.

If there's any silver lining to this episode, it's the restaurant song. It was funny, it sounds great, and makes the B-plot worth watching just for that. I even downloaded the MP3 of the song because of how much I loved it. Overall, the episode is a 2/5.

Meh, the main story wasn't too interesting, and the Frank Sinatra story was really one too many now, and one too many songs too.. 2/5
    Last edited by ThaSimpsonz; 11-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Thread Information