Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

@John95, yeah, I definitely see why a lot of folks hate April Fools Rule and Fool's paradise (and you give good reasons to why the latter isn't a good episode) and even I can admit they are not some of the better episodes, but I think they are decent, especially April Fools Rule since it doesn't go too far and has Luan sort of get some comeuppance in the end so I'd say it's an perfectly okay episode and a good way of playing up Luan being a prankaholic.

Fool's Paradise, however, I think is disappointing as it's just a really dark variation of the first one and doesn't really do anything new (and it goes overboard with moments like Lynn Sr. selling out the family and Luan giving Lana an allergic reaction, drenching Lucy in bleach and having a monkey attack Lynn) and the ending feels unneccessarily mean for the sake of being mean; I actually would have preferred it if Luan went to a real camp and the rest of the family being struck by a series of unlucky prank-like incidents or an unrelated prankster (which I actually thought it was gonna be like) but I don't remember hating it since it had an interesting main setting and some good gags.

But yeah, if they make a third one I hope they reinvent the concept by doing something fresh and unexpected.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-14-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Fool's Paradise just rehashes the first episode except they make it worse. It's also kinda predictable as well in terms of it's setup. I'd honestly go as far as to consider it the worst episode along with The Sound of Silence. The only actual thing I liked about the episode was the sign for the "Motel" being Buttz Motel.

They could reinvent the concept by simply doing what you mentioned earlier by having Luan pull off a prank that goes awry and her feeling bad about it.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: TBD An Irish Goodbye: TBD Stompe le Monde: TBD

I can't see what's so awful about the episode Sound Of Silence. It's a good episode about Lincoln being selfish and rudely trying to ignore the sisters by drowning out their voices and blindly replying to them, acting all smug and such, and they decide to teach him a lesson (he lives in a literal loud house where there's no real privacy and shutting them out is not right).

It's not an episode about him not being in the wrong but still suffering as he was acting douchey and dishonest so he kinda deserved it even though it was elaborate, but hey, they are wacky kids who does things like this. Sure, he could have been honest and told them that they were bothering him (and if if he really wanted some privacy he could have just locked the door) but then there would have been no plot.

In fact, I think this is one of the better uses of disproportionate retribution as a source of humor I've seen in cartoons.

And I hate the episode because it felt like whoever wrote it didn't think it through all the way because it came across as a Broken/Clueless/Family Unfriendly Aesop with Lincoln being punished for wanting some peace and quiet because you shouldn't be allowed to have an upper hand in a household of 11 siblings.

Somebody on-staff should've caught onto how bad it was instantly thrown it out.

Throwing it out altogether would have been excessive. I think a simple rewrite could have fixed it for those who didn't like it.

That too, my overall point being that somebody should've checked it over as it kinda felt like a first draft.

Another episode that they should've looked over and possibly revise before going into production besides No Such Luck was Brawl in the Family. I don't outright hate it like a lot of others do, but it's "Aesop" did rub me the wrong way regarding how easily corruptible it was.

To me, the issue with Brawl In The Family was that it didn't make sense and technically shouldn't exist as it stands; Lincoln not knowing about the sister fight protocol at all while all his five younger sisters did was really wierd, almost bizarre. I wonder what the writer was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Somebody on-staff should've caught onto how bad it was instantly thrown it out.
    I think the same about No Such Luck, the 'On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister' of the series (albeit with in a no way happy ending); It really takes a huge dump on the heart and spirit of the series. How Savino could approve of it is beyond me (and I hope they have taken the overwhelmingly negative response of the episode to heart so that they won't produce another one like it).

On another note, I wonder what they have in store for the third season (I'm looking forward to that musical episode that was teased in the SDCC interview; will be interesting).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-16-2017 at 01:31 PM.

@CousinMerl, I was with that episode at first, but could no longer try and take it with a straight face once the parents started believing the superstition because boy talk about OOC! But as I said before, I did laugh at Rita's quick "We sold all your furniture!" if only for the timing of that line as well as how you can hardly hear it plus me going "What furniture?!"

I've heard a rumor that supposedly starting next season we'll get episodes where Lincoln doesn't even appear at all which would be the next logical step after about a season and a half of every second or third episode sidelining him for someone else (usually one of his sisters). Speaking of which, I'm still surprised with how early the show started doing that (House Music). If they were gonna start doing that, I wasn't expecting them to do so until the second season.

I'd be open to more episodes with the parents as the leads (also, I'd really like to see if they updated the intro by adding them to the bit where Lincoln is running through the hall), some travel episodes (if possible) and more episodes focused on secondary characters that the viewers know very little about (such as Lincolns homeroom teacher); I'd also like to see the town get expanded with more places and characters.

Furthermore, I'd be interested in seeing more episodes that tackle slightly more serious subject matters and issues and doesn't completely shy away from getting a little more real and slightly darker (without losing the humor, warping the characters into unlikeable shits and going all "very special episode" like, but I'm pretty sure they would handle it properly).

I myself am still waiting for the day when they decide to bring Carol Pingrey back and make her a rival for Lori and not just simply for a one-off gag.

Additionally, dunno if you ever saw it but there was an image from last year that appeared to be from an episode of Lincoln with Christina with Ronnie Anne outside looking angrily at them. I'm pretty disappointed that said episode will more than likely never happen now.

EDIT: The fact that it's confirmed that Sam will return in a future episode seems to hint that they'll be discussing  Luna's bisexuality  again.

I've seen that image you mentioned and I'm sure it's a fan made fake (official-looking as it is). Christina was more or less ditched as a character early on and I doubt Lincoln would cheat on Ronnie like that, but them becoming friends and the latter feeling threatened could have been an interesting plot. Speaking of Carol, I think they namedropped her in an later episode so it seems they haven't forgotten about her, maybe due to her surprising popularity for a minor character).

And yes, I too heard that Sam will return (I even saw a storyboard pic which I think is official) and I like that, not only for story progression but also for more continuity which is positive.

Speaking of something else, I caught a link to this (which is apparently the first of a continuing thing they they are gonna do; could be fun).

@CousinMerl, Speaking of Ronnie Anne, what is your opinion on the Santiagos moving away? I liked that they did something to change the status quo, but I still question whether this was the right way to do so (especially since Clyde still his tiring obsession with Lori, which they could've gotten rid of in Change of Heart).

That storyboard image you're talking about came from Savino's Instagram.

There's six of those episodes of the podcast already with the rest being on iTunes or Podbay.

Yes-Man

They released images of the sisters dressed in their SMOOCH gear the day before the episode aired and that got me hyped a little.

I thought they kinda dragged things out a little too long in terms of the parents not instantly telling Lincoln that they didn't have any extra money to spare, but it was a fun episode overall.

3.5/5

Well, I think it was an interesting choice of having Ronnie Annes family move away to change it all a bit (and the episode itself was really good). I miss them appearing more regularily (and I would have liked to see more of RA who was in surprisingly few episodes), however I like that we're seeing them from time to time & I hope there will be more episodes with them appearing in the flesh (and coming to visit) instead of just over video chat.

It's interesting you mentioned the Clyde thing since I thought about that the other day. I think they should have changed the status quo there and dropped his Lori infatuation with the nosebleeds and fainting since it feels like such a tired joke with little to no variation (the weakest running gag on the show). Going by the fan opinions it seems like Clyde is the least popular character and I think that dropping that joke would have make him more likeable to those who doesn't like him.

About two months ago I saw an image on The Loud House's FB page of most of the actors of the Santiago/Casagrande family together (minus Sonia Manzano) which seems to hint that we'll be getting another episode with them sometime next year.

Around the same time that Change of Heart aired that FB group that I'm a part of had somebody asking who they'd remove from the show if they could only pick one character. Almost everyone said Clyde, as did I. I'll admit that I laughed at the gag the very first time it happened, but mostly because it completely caught me off-guard. Now, it's just trite and tired. And it's pretty easy to see why he tends to be the last popular character because not only is the gag tiring, but episodes that are about him with the sisters either sidelined or not even appearing at all tend to be among the show's weakest. Back Out There in particular was painfully boring.

I can't really agree that all episodes with Clyde and the sisters sidelined or not appearing are the weakest; sure, I like it the most when at least one sister is involved in the plot, but I still generall like the Clyde episodes and he can be an amusing character. Back Out There was decent episode much because I like how all of Lincoln's friends got involved and an episode like The Old And The Restless (which featured no sisters and no Clyde) was fairly good, mostly because I Grampa Loud is a fun character, however adding a sister like Leni to that episode could have made it better so I agree that sister-related episodes are usually the best (maybe especially the ensemble ones).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-21-2017 at 02:50 AM.

The Old and the Restless was alright, and admittedly there are a few non-sisters episodes that I do enjoy like Dance, Dance, Resolution, Out of the Picture, Shell Shock and Pets Peeved. And while I didn't really care for ARGGH! You For Real?, I did enjoy the ways that it poked fun at the shows that ARGGH! are based on in terms of how transparently fake and staged they are.

Friend or Faux?

I follow Lisa's VA Lara Jill Miller on FB (I even messaged her a drawing I did for her birthday which she then reposted on her page the following day) and she made a post saying that she was excited for this episode. And after seeing it, I can see why. This episode presents a more humane side to Lisa that hasn't really been shown yet especially in the two other episodes where she was the main focus. Let's hope that No Laughing Matter can do the same for Luan tomorrow.

This episode also takes the cake for shortest amount of screentime from Lincoln thus far, his appearance here is nothing more than a cameo that's roughly ten seconds.

3/5

No Laughing Matter

Eh, it was alright. Kinda dull but easily the best of the four Luan episodes we've gotten so far by a mile. This one felt more like an Author's Saving Throw episode than Fool's Paradise which some people misinterpret that episode as for reasons that escape me.

2.5/5

I was thinking of what you said about Luan being one of the lesser liked characters (and you really don't seem to like her either) but I don't think she's that impopular. She gets a lot of fan art and she gets talked about quite a bit (with not much negativity) so a lot of fans seem to like her at least outside the April fools episodes.

However Lisa is one that seems to not be very popular so it's good that she gets an episode like that to give her some character development and making her more likeable & accessible to fans who doesn't like the character too much.

I gotta say that she is one of those characters that took a little while to grow on me. She is pretty funny and I like how one of the youngest siblings a junior genius who has wierd hobbies, but sometimes I feel that she breaks the relatively down-to-earth style of the show a bit too much by being portrayed as a mad scientist who builds stuff like rayguns, killbots and time traveling machines. I think she works the best when they don't take her genius too far and sometimes just the simple stuff with her are the funniest (such as her being a fan of rap).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.

I actually don't dislike Luan even though she is my least favorite of the sisters (and I don't really dislike any of them honestly), so I apologize if my wording made it seem like I didn't like her. It's just I haven't cared for any of the episodes centered on her thus far.

Regarding Lisa, she falls under the category of characters I like that others don't as she proves to be one of the lesser popular sisters. That said, one of the aspects of her character that I feel like they need to lay off of a little is how she does things to her siblings (or even parents) without their consent or knowledge. While I'll admit that her reactions to denying doing those things can still be a little funny, Job Insecurity was the point where I felt like that they should either drop that or at least dial back on how often that pops up.
    Last edited by John95; 09-22-2017 at 09:02 PM.

The least liked sister judging by the fans seem to be Lola, though, and that's something I deeply disagree with as I find her to be one of the overall funniest characters on the series.

She can be rather mean, selfish and criminal in her actions and behaviour but knows she can be a pain, outright acknowledges it & apologizes for it sometimes & has a heart under that harsh and mean exterior and I like that about the character (there are characters who behave similarily but doesn't get much hate, such as Bender in Futurama and Grunkle Stan in Gravity Falls, and I like them as well; there is something I tend to like about this kind of character who can be a really cartoonish jerk and generally just thinks of themselves but does have a heart, real emotions & cares about those who are close to them). I'd say that she's one of the most threedimensional Loud siblings alongside Lincoln and Lori (it still feels like Luan is the least threedimensional one even though I like the character).

Regarding favorites, which Loud sister is your favorite of them? For me it's a toss up between Lucy, Leni and Lola, but if I had to choose right now I think I'd have to say Lucy.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-27-2017 at 12:14 AM.

My favorite is Luna, and it's pretty much been that way ever since I saw the original pilot (which I didn't see until a month before the show aired proper, so I joined the show's bandwagon pretty late).

I didn't watch anything of the show until five months after the premiere so you beat me when it comes to that.

So what do you think about Lola personally? Seems like you forgot to comment on what I wrote about her as I'd like to hear your opionion on one of the least popular (and in my opinion overhated and underrated) characters.

What was the first episode you saw? The first one for me was Tale of Two Tables/The Sweet Spot because Nick released those two (and later Hand-Me-Downer/Sleuth or Consequences) on their website a month before the show began as a first look. Afterwards, I saw every episode up through April Fool's Rules (excluding House Music and Cover Girls due to me not being aware that they were airing) as they aired on TV before our cable was disconnected.

Oops. Yeah, I like Lola. I didn't think I would when I first began watching the series but overtime she grew on me. Same goes for Lori. As for Lola being very hated, I guess maybe I don't browse through the interwebs that much (I mostly limit my activities to a selected number of sites) because I don't see much hate for her (or maybe not much anymore). An example being that she's not even classified as a Scrappy on TVTropes while Lynn and Lisa are.

The first couple episodes I saw was actually the first ones aired, namely 'Left In The Dark' & 'Get The Message'. They were (and I think still are) streaming on Nick.com's The Loud House section and I figured it was a good way to introduce myself to the show as well as a good starting point (still trying to remember if I saw the pilot short 'Bathroom Break' just before that or after, but I think it's the latter).

Two questions both for you and for others as well; what's your favorite of the secondary characters (who's not a member of the Loud family) and what kind of episodes would you like to see in the future?

I think my favorite supporting character is Bobby (I like how they avoided the 'big sister's jerk boyfriend' cliché); it's too bad he's not around very much now that his family moved away, but it's good that he pops up occasionally. As for episodes, right now I'd mainly like to see some flashback episodes where not all of the sisters were born (the natural choice for a first such episode would obviously be about the birth of Lincoln).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-27-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Yeah, those two were definitely better episodes for getting introduced to the series than A Tale of Two Tables/The Sweet Spot. Honestly, I dunno why they didn't just pick two to put on their website before the series aired since they are the first two episodes.

Favorite supporting characters: Ronnie Anne, Scoots (though one could argue she's more of a minor character) and Mr. Grouse

Episodes I'd like to see in the future (besides ones with reappearances by Sam and the Santiagos/Casagrandes since those two actually will happen):

* Carol Pingrey coming back and being used as a rival for Lori.
    * More episodes focusing more on the humane aspects of Lisa, Lynn and Luan
    * Episodes that don't feature Lincoln at all (which as I said earlier we could allegedly get next season)
    * Flashback episodes like you mentioned. The Whole Picture made me curious to see what the younger versions of the rest of the sisters were like.
    * That subversion of the April Fools episodes that you mentioned, though maybe without the 'someone gets injured' element.

By the way, have you seen the promo for Trick or Treachery (which airs fittingly enough on Oct. 13th)?

I saw the promo for the Halloween episode (which seems to have been retitled 'Tricked') and it looks really interesting; I wonder if it will be about the family as a group or focusing on certain character(s) and if it's the latter, I'm hoping for some good Lucy stuff. Do you have any hopes for it?

I'd also like to see a couple of travel episodes which could open up some fun possibilities (if the Simpsons can get their hands on plane tickets the Loud family can as well) and episodes about two or three of the sisters teaming up/cooperating and play off one another (which would be a good way to have those of them who rarely directly interact with each other do just that; with there being a possibility of episodes without Lincoln the next season I think there is a bigger reason for them to look into that).

About the 'No Laughing Matter' episode thing where I said someone could possibly get injured due to one of Luan's pranks to start the plot (and which you're confusing with my suggestion of an subverted April Fools episode), I strongly feel it wouldn't have belonged in the show; it was something I just threw out when it came to my mind).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Surprised there isn't any new episodes this week because I'm sure I saw two weeks of new Loud House being announced a week back; must've been false.

Oh, and I forgot to give my thoughts on the latest new episodes:

Yes Man - Good episode. It went a little bit too long with Lincoln frantically trying to make his parents give the money for the SMOOCH concert by channeling his sisters but I liked it overall and the ending with the song was kinda silly but nice and sweet.

Friend Or Faux - Very good episode about Lisa and the best one about her so far. I liked how it was all about her and her new friend and outside Lily she never directly interacted with any of her siblings & that the reset button wasn't hit in the end.

No Laughing Matter - I really liked this one, maybe my favorite of these. The plot about Luan giving up comedy after her siblings complain about her going overboard with pranks and them deciding to get the classic Luan back was nice & it had a good ending where Luan learnt a lesson (and it definitely felt like it was an apology to those who hated the April Fools episodes).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Clearly must've been fake, they normally only do one week of episode per month.

Yeah, they should've just told Lincoln from the start that they didn't have any extra money to spare him. But had that been the case, the episode would've only been five minutes long.

Yep, that's what I said before about No Laughing Matter feeling more like a legit Author's Saving Throw regarding Luan than Fool's Paradise, even if I thought this one was a little dull.

Finished listening to the last of the first batch of Listen Out Loud podcasts recently; there was some really good and fun stuff in those so I do look forward to more of them (they were kind of like episodes without visuals and really liked that you get to know more of the show and characters in them so they do build upon the show's lore which is nice). I overally like the amount of supplementary video and audio material they give us such as these which are neat and surprisingly elaborate (usually a show doesn't get this gold treatment).

What did you think of them?

I actually haven't listened to any of them yet so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

However, there will be three more episodes next month after Tricked! which are No Spoilers (Oct. 16th), Read Aloud (Oct. 17th) and Not a Loud (Oct. 18th).

Of the three episodes, No Spoilers is the only one with a synopsis so far:
    Knowing Leni’s history of spoiling surprises, the kids decide not to tell her about their Mom’s upcoming party, but keeping Leni away is no easy task.

Thread Information