Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

They are apparently gonna introduce a character with Down syndrome this season.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/spotlight...se-1202407637/

Props to them; I like the diversity they are continuing to go for and I wonder how they will approach this particular character.

Blog Entries

I'm sure it'll be handled well. I've great faith in this move and whilst some people could see the diversity as being forced, they've shown before they can tackle differences with tact and class.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Blog Entries

reading that article, it is rather impressive how far cartoons have come. like the one character having two dads.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Damn, I haven't watched this show in a while. Probably since 2016. The last episode I watched was House Music.
    Simpsons Season 30 Ratings: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5(B-) Heartbreak Hotel: N/A My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3.5/5(B) THOH XXIX: 2.5/5(C+) Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 3.25/5(B/B-) From Russia with Love: 4/5(B+) Werking Mom: 3.5/5(B) Krusty the Clown: 3.5/5(B) Daddicus Finch: 5/5(A) Mad About the Toy: 3.5/5(B)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I have never seen this show and really don't plan to but if it's another step into getting more theatrical traditional animation out there, I'm all for it. Good for Nick.
    well I saw an ep last week on vacation. turned on the TV in my hotel room, it was on Nick and the opening credits were rolling and I decided, "okay, I'll give it a chance"

and it's... not for me. had generally the same reaction @Dark Homer had to it. I appreciate the visual art comic book style and how fluid it is for flash, but the jokes were try-hard, the sentiment cheesy, the plot's predictable... I've seen much, much better from kids animation, Gravity Falls especially, so I just kinda shrugged and was bored overall. I'm a little at a loss of how they'll make a theatrical film out of it but if they elect to use traditional animation then I'm all for it

It's definitely not for everyone and if you expect more depth and complexity you won't get it as it is a simple show (but comparing it to shows like Gravity Falls is very unfair; of course a simple slice of life series is not gonna look so good if you compare to that show which is so much more in comparison). Also, I wouldn't judge it by one episode alone; I was skeptical at first but watched a few episodes and came to enjoy it and it's simple charm and down to earth style & now I can see the movie working (not saying you will do the same @Ryan, but hey, just a suggestion).

Btw, which episode did you see? (Some of them can be quite the turnoffs so you might have seen one of the worse ones. If you decide to give it a second chance I'd suggest the 22 minute Christmas episode; likely the highlight so far.).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    It's definitely not for everyone and if you expect more depth and complexity you won't get it as it is a simple show (but comparing it to shows like Gravity Falls is very unfair; of course a simple slice of life series is not gonna look so good if you compare to that show which is so much more in comparison).
    Gravity Falls was mentioned in regards to its humor. That show hits the comedy that I like. This was very basic, bland stuff. It was an episode where they form a band and one of the sisters takes it too far because she wants to impress her idol. It was a Mick Jagger parody named MICK SWAGGER HA HA HA HA

Maybe I'm just too cynical for this show

I get your points (and that episode you saw would be House Music; really not one of the stronger episodes, but it is the first one where Lincoln is not the main character). I too think that Gravity Falls has better humor overall but to be honest I don't really mainly watch TLH for the comedy (which it does do well even though much of it is pretty basic) but it's more for the style and feel of the show, including it's to me likeable characters and occasionally relatable situations and scenarios.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

So yeah, that second double length episode was pretty darn good, I'd say. I quite liked the focus on the secondary character Ronnie-Anne, her immediate family and their relatives & I'm kinda surprised they actually broke the status quo a little bit and will seemingly keep this change as they go one (and I do have to wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of backdoor pilot to a spin-off series).

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I was surprised that they got Maria from Sesame Street to voice Rosa.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: TBD Demolition Daddy: TBD Pride Before the Fail: TBD Enter Stanman: TBD No Weddings and a Funeral: TBD Eight Fires: TBD The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: TBD Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

The Loud House is brilliant. Honestly, I think it's probably the best show in the new wave of cartoons that we have right now. Not many shows are great, in fact most are pretty awful but this show is an absolute diamond in the rough.

I think that because the show is a new show it often doesn't get the credit it deserves. Because the majority of shows are just rubbish now people automatically think that this will be too, until they see it and they become pleasantly surprised.

This show could honestly fit perfectly well within the 90's era of Cartoon Network. It seems to fit alongside the whole Johnny Bravo, Dexters Laboratory etc... and it stands up really well.

I think the Loud House is brilliant. Adventure Time I will give it's due to also and I don't mind The Regular Show. Gumball isn't that bad either to be honest but the rest are terrible really. Phineas & Ferb isn't bad but on a whole there's not many great cartoons that are out now that are new. The Loud House is a massive exception as it's brilliant and would have fit well with all the classics and become a classic to this day.

I hope it gets more recognition as it goes on because it deserves this.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Oh look. Another one who likes the show. Neat.

@Steamed Mr Bergstrom, since you are a big fan of early Simpsons I bet you can see some similarities with those seasons (and Simpsons in general) in The Loud House and quite like that. As stated earlier, I definitely see similarities and even a few possible references.

Speaking about the connections between the shows, it would be interesting to know what stuff from the Simpsons that Chris Savino took inspiration from (if any, but since it doesn't feel like he didn't look towards our favorite family at all I think it's fairly likely).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-04-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Oh look. Another one who likes the show. Neat.

@Steamed Mr Bergstrom, since you are a big fan of early Simpsons I bet you can see some similarities with those seasons (and Simpsons in general) in The Loud House and quite like that. As stated earlier, I definitely see similarities and even a few possible references.

Speaking about the connections between the shows, it would be interesting to know what stuff from the Simpsons that Chris Savino took inspiration from (if any, but since it doesn't feel like he didn't look towards our favorite family at all I think it's fairly likely).
    I think a lot of people are influenced by The Simpsons and I say that as a good thing. I mean, who wouldn't be specially if you want to be good at animation and have a great show. Family Guy is completely influenced by it and I'm pretty sure Seth McFarlane has admitted this too, so many things I see in that show are a complete rip of what The Simpsons did maybe with a little twist so it doesn't look too obvious but it still does lol The same with so many really so it's not a bad thing.

He could have took inspiration in regards to the whole catastrophic family vibe, the parents, morals that they have etc... there could be a lot really. It definitely has an old school Cartoon Network style animation around it but in regards to character substance and the concept there probably is some Simpsons influence there. I mean it's family based too and so is The Simpsons so it's likely I think.

Chances are the animator and creator is a fan of The Simpsons so I say that as a good thing. The Loud House is brilliant I think.

Yes, a lot of shows (especially animated ones) are influenced and inspired by The Simpsons (and it's no wonder why), but the thing with The Loud House is that I feel it is one of those that is the most tonally and stylistically similar (animation and targeted age demography aside). Family Guy on the other hand, as much as Seth took from The Simpsons, is so tonally off in comparison and overall doesn't really have that much of a heart or good morals like The Simpsons and TLH; I think even Gravity Falls is a better comparison.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-26-2017 at 01:09 PM.

So yeah, that second double length episode was pretty darn good, I'd say. I quite liked the focus on the secondary character Ronnie-Anne, her immediate family and their relatives & I'm kinda surprised they actually broke the status quo a little bit and will seemingly keep this change as they go one (and I do have to wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of backdoor pilot to a spin-off series).
    I hope it does become a spinoff. It has the makings of one and I love Ronnie Anns' family.

So, what does everyone think of how it's now confirmed that  Luna is bisexual ?

I loved it! Good for Luna. No matter who she loves, she will be happy.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Blog Entries

Saw that episode live; I'm really happy that shows like this are becoming more conscious of sexual preference. If I didn't like the Loud House before, I really do now.

And better yet, they didn't make a huge deal about it. Kudos to you, Nick.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Quote Originally Posted by NHC's Resident Bart View Post
    And better yet, they didn't make a huge deal about it. Kudos to you, Nick.
    Agreed. I'm very glad the show itself never makes a big deal about things like Clyde having two dads or one of Bobby & Ronnie Anne's cousins having downs syndrome and just treats them like everyday occurrences.

I have been away for a few days and have caught up with the show by watching the latest episodes (including the one in question). I found out about Luna online some days ago as it's something that does get covered and is hard not to get spoiled but it didn't ruin the episode at all which I thought was very good (not just the Luna stuff). As for the reveal about Luna, I really liked it and it was handled very well and naturally (that end scene was very sweet and heartwarming); I wonder if they will do a follow-up later on. Thumbs up to the show once again.

Again, I really like how the show doesn't make a huge deal about things like this and treat them as something that just happens to be. People like Luna, the fathers McBride and Ronnie Anne's cousin CJ exists in real life and I continue to like how they implement these characters and their differences in the show so well and makes them feel like people and not caricatures meant for cheap jokes.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I have been away for a few days and have caught up with the show by watching the latest episodes (including the one in question). I found out about Luna online some days ago as it's something that does get covered and is hard not to get spoiled but it didn't ruin the episode at all which I thought was very good (not just the Luna stuff). As for the reveal about Luna, I really liked it and it was handled very well and naturally (that end scene was very sweet and heartwarming); I wonder if they will do a follow-up later on. Thumbs up to the show once again.

Again, I really like how the show doesn't make a huge deal about things like this and treat them as something that just happens to be. People like Luna, the fathers McBride and Ronnie Anne's cousin CJ exists in real life and I continue to like how they implement these characters and their differences in the show so well and makes them feel like people and not caricatures meant for cheap jokes.
    I'm glad too. They are handled naturally like real people and not stereotypes like Family Guy.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Junior Camper

Funny show, reminds me of Doug in some way

What wishes and/or hopes do you guys have for the theatrical movie?

I gotta say that the 2020 release date is pretty far away (I hope they will move it up at least one year, if just in case the interest in the show has fizzled out or been cancelled in three years) and I hope they will make use of the time to do something big and not something you'd see on TV; make it into an comedy-adventure with an epic feel, involve all the major characters in some way & give the more prominent secondary characters something to say and do (and it could be pretty funny if they gave some incidental background character a big role).

So you folks got any favorite characters and/or favorite episodes?

Blog Entries

One of the things that The Loud House has in abundance is heart, both in the writing and the characters themselves. It's a big reason why the show has become number 1 (tied with Bob's Burgers) on my 'Best cartoons of the 2010s' list.
    Said list goes as follows:

1)The Loud House/Bob's Burgers
    2) Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
    3) Wander Over Yonder
    4) F Is For Family
    5) Teen Titans Go! (Bite me, rose tinted miwweniaws)

The characters are all relatable and lovable in their own ways. And the diversity amongst the cast doesn't feel forced or preachy at all.

To answer Cousin Merl, my favourite characters are as follows:

Lincoln
    Leni
    Dad
    Lisa
    Clyde

As for episodes, I'll get back to you on that one, as it's a VERY consistent show compared to Teen Titans go which fluctuates between great fun and AAAARRRRGH! every few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    As for episodes, I'll get back to you on that one, as it's a VERY consistent show compared to Teen Titans go which fluctuates between great fun and AAAARRRRGH! every few minutes.
    The show (TLH) has a pretty even quality of the episodes and relatively few are actually weak episodes (and so far I think it has only one outright bad episode, namely 'No Such Luck' which I feel betrays the whole show and it's tone & is essentially the Bart-Mangled Banner of the series).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-24-2018 at 08:27 AM.

With the show coming back next week, I thought I'd revive this thread (and to also prove to @pax that I actually do watch shows that I like)

One of the episodes set to air is Future Tense which was accidently released early onto Amazon and I got the chance to see it before they pulled it. The episodes of this show that I like the most are the ones where the whole family is involved meaning the kids plus the parents.

I also liked that the casting of Maureen McCormick and Barry Williams as Mr. & Mrs. Yates now brings the references that this show makes to The Brady Bunch full circle.

As for some of the episodes that will be airing next week, I'm curious to see how No Laughing Matter and Friend or Faux? turn out since those two episodes star some of the lesser liked sisters on the show (Luan for the former and Lisa for the latter) and it sounds like they'll address some of the problems fans have with them. Luan is especially in need of an episode that puts her in a good light after April Fools Rules and it's even worse sequel Fool's Paradise.

Blog Entries

That was soley about American Dad though? Like way to take it way too literally

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    One of the episodes set to air is Future Tense which was accidently released early onto Amazon and I got the chance to see it before they pulled it. The episodes of this show that I like the most are the ones where the whole family is involved meaning the kids plus the parents.

As for some of the episodes that will be airing next week, I'm curious to see how No Laughing Matter and Friend or Faux? turn out since those two episodes star some of the lesser liked sisters on the show (Luan for the former and Lisa for the latter) and it sounds like they'll address some of the problems fans have with them. Luan is especially in need of an episode that puts her in a good light after April Fools Rules and it's even worse sequel Fool's Paradise.
    I would lie if I said I didn't manage to catch Future Tense. Great episode which in itself had enough material for several episodes (office lady Luan, basketball Lucy and egghead nerd Lynn among others); I almost wish they saved some of those ideas for later episodes. I have noticed a stronger push towards including the parents in the episodes, especially Lynn Sr., which is all good as they are fun and likeable characters (except for in that crappy No Such Luck) so it's almost like when Bart started out as the lead character before Homer started getting a bigger role (not to say Lincoln's main character status will be usurped by his dad).

And the Luan episode sounds good and interesting(maybe it would have been a bit too dark for the show, but I'd have liked to see someone accidentally getting hurt by one of her pranks which made her get depressed and starting to rethink things, setting the plot in motion).

(Also, am I the only one who kinda like the April Fools episodes? I see them almost like TLH's Treehouse Of Horror episodes and intentionally over the top insane when it comes to Luan's portrayal, but I would like the next one to be very different from the last two, maybe to even subvert the viewer's expectations).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-14-2017 at 12:02 AM.

@CousinMerl, I didn't see the episode on Amazon, but I'm a member of a FB group dedicated to the show and somebody posted a Google Drive link for it on there which is how I saw it.

Dropping the running gag of not seeing the parents' faces was one of the best decisions they made. I've also noticed that they've been using the whole Malcolm in the Middle aspect of Lincoln talking to the audience less and less as the series has gone on. I think Lynner Takes All was the first time they did in a while.

No Such Luck was bad, but I honestly did laugh at Rita's quick "We sold all your furniture!".

Well, one of the problems that I and a lot of other people have with the April Fools day episodes is that both end with Luan either not being punished or showing any remorse for what she's done (the ending for Fool's Paradise in particular feels like something from American Dad! or one of Family Guy's bad seasons in terms of how bad it is). That, and I thought it was horrible that Mr. Loud was initially willing to sellout his own family like that, especially when one of the pranks he was aware of was one that exposed Lana to her allergy. Him owning up to his misdeed honestly didn't make up for him taking part in it to begin with.

I myself personally want to believe that the people who make the show are aware of the bad reception of April Fool's Rules and that the only reason why we still got Fool's Paradise is that it was too far down the production pipeline by the time April Fool's Rules originally aired for them to just simply cancel it. I feel the episode would've been better if it was more like what the original synopsis made it out to be in which it's a "Lincoln is sidelined in favor of a sister" kind of episode with the camp Luan went to being an actual camp.

Thread Information