Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar

I watched an older episode to see more of what the show is like. It's called one flu over the loud house and while zany I think it worked here as they played up the zombie movie parallel. The dumb sister ended up being the kindest. She's probably my favorite based ony limited experience with the show. Will try to find other episodes on Dailymotion.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl,

Then we have the Canadian principal who oddly was the most normal and un-stereotyped Canadian character in the episode (I don't think he even said "Eh" or "Aboot") which was nice but in connection to the other insanity it was just odd.
    Didn't notice that, and yeah, like you said, it makes the whole stereotypical stuff even more all of sudden.

(which I feel was hinted to there at the end with Linc speaking up to the teacher about the heat.
    I feel that too. Like I said, it's a great way to send a lesson : if you don't feel at ease going through a new life, you can always try to improve it to make it more comfortable. It's very nice.

There has been a bit of an inconsistency witg the writing for Leni, I've felt. At the beginning she was pretty much as silly and dumb as we see her here, then later on they had her get a job at the clothing store (Reiniger's) and had her get more competent and show more intelligence, then they bounce back stuff like her being all childishly stupid despite nearly being an adult, which makes it jarring. I felt that introducing the store job plot was a little odd for Leni, which while it works made her a little too smart compared to before sometimes & it feels a bit jarring when there's episodes like this in this episode.
    I understand. Personally, one reason I loved the whole Reiniger arc is because it shows that stupid doesn't mean incompetent as it shows what Leni is able to do when so dedicated to her work. But it's true that the writing of her intelligence was kinda inconsistent over time. But to be honest, it happened with a lot of "stupid" characters in television history, whether it's Leni Loud, Patrick Star, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin or Fry. The typical "depending on the writer" syndrome. It's almost like Ed is the only consistently dumb character I can think of right now, aha.

Also, I really don't think this plot needed to be more than what it was. Just a silly little side thing played for humor with Leni acting like a child and keeping the toddlers company. Though, I was glad that they revealed that the daycare teachers acknowledged they thought she was a volunteer, which avoided making them dumb for not noticing a 16 year old among the small kids (and maybe not seeng the difference). I will say that with this plot, I sort of hope there'll be a story with her volunteering there for real (I really think she'd be great with kids. Maybe it'd be an interesting place for her to work?).
    True there but for what it is, I didn't find this subplot interesting, more of a decent and harmless time filler (also, just like you, I'm glad they explained why the teacher accepted her here). And yes, it would be an interesting story, which would fit well with the fact that she's now in charge of her siblings now that Lori is gone to Fairway.

Oh, and yes, it is a bit strange that she needs Lori this badly to choose between outfits. I'd have understood if it was early in the series but now it does look odd.
    I guess it was hinted with Garage Banned, though, with Leni always asking Lori for advices about what she should wear.

I did see 'Guess Who's Shopping' and 'New Roomie' episodes recently and I certainly saw a small increase in the cartoonishness here and there. I don't generally have a problem with it as, like you say, it is part of the charm of it being a little more over the top than The Loud House, but sometimes they go a little too far with it and it gets a little too silly for its own good (and sometimes it gets really convenient and ridiculous, such as the ending of 'Shopping'). Just a nitpick in my opinion, since I guess at least some loves the silliness, even if I prefer it keeps it more level-headed.
    Agreed, come to think of it, it's in a way part of why this spin-off is less "groundbreaking" (for Nickelodeon standards at the time) than the main show was back there, it kinda gives it an "a silly little show among other" aspect, I don't know if it's just me, even though it keeps parts of what makes The Loud House so enjoyable. And yeah, while the shopping episode was overall decent to me, the ending was absolute nonsense, and the parody aspect doesn't excuse it.

@GlitterCat,

I watched an older episode to see more of what the show is like. It's called one flu over the loud house and while zany I think it worked here as they played up the zombie movie parallel. The dumb sister ended up being the kindest. She's probably my favorite based ony limited experience with the show. Will try to find other episodes on Dailymotion.
    This one is pretty great in my opinion, I really like how they handled the silliness here with the solid and very funny zombie movie parallel, kinda like The Joy from Gumball, as well as being one of the first episodes to show Leni at her best, being more than just the dumb blonde of the family. Hope you'll find more episodes you'll like.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBA

Best / Worst from each season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted / Homer's Odyssey - 2. Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes On Every Fish / Dancin' Homer - 3. Homer at the Bat / The Otto Show - 4. Last Exit to Springfield / Brother from the Same Planet - 5. Cape Feare / Bart's Inner Child - 6. Homer the Great / Another Simpsons Clip Show - 7. Raging Abe Simpson (...) / Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - 8. Homer vs. the 18th Amendment / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson - 9. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson / All Singing, All Dancing - 10. Mom and Pop Art / They Saved Lisa's Brain - 11. E-I-E-I-D'oh / Eight Misbehavin - 12. Trilogy of Error / Worst Episode Ever - 13. The Blunder Years / Gump Roast - 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation / Pray Anything - 15. My Mother the Carjacker / Bart-Mangled Banner - 16. Thank God, It's Doomsday / Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass - 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story / The Bonfire of the Manatees - 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple / Little Big Girl - 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Hubsband and Knives - 20. Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes / The Burns and the Bees - 21. Moe Letter Blues / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - 22. Flaming Moe / Elementary School Musical - 23. Holidays of Future Passed / Lisa Goes Gaga - 24. Dangers on a Train / Love Is a Many-Splintered Thing - 25. Steal This Episode / The Man Who Grew Too Much - 26. The Princess Guide / The Musk Who Fell to Earth - 27. Halloween of Horror / Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 28. There Will Be Buds / Dad Behavior - 29. King Leer / Frink Gets Testy - 30. Daddicus Finch / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 31. Livin' la Pura Vida / Better Off Ned

new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar

@Wile E. the Brain

I understand. Personally, one reason I loved the whole Reiniger arc is because it shows that stupid doesn't mean incompetent as it shows what Leni is able to do when so dedicated to her work. But it's true that the writing of her intelligence was kinda inconsistent over time. But to be honest, it happened with a lot of "stupid" characters in television history, whether it's Leni Loud, Patrick Star, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin or Fry. The typical "depending on the writer" syndrome. It's almost like Ed is the only consistently dumb character I can think of right now, aha.
    Firstly, I really do like the Reiniger's plot thread too. It is an interesting story that develops Leni a bit and shows how dedicated and creative she can be, but also works as a positive messaginng that there is a place in society for the intellectually deficient and those who are maybe not college material. Also it is a plot that can be very relatable, as which much of the true-to-life stuff in the series (which is one reason I like it, as I've said before).

And yes, her portrayal is definitely dependant on the writer. It being up an down is not something that does bother me much, but like I said, it can be a little jarring at times. As for consistently "dumb" characters, to add one from a newer animated series there is also JP from 'Craig Of The Creek' (he's not dangerously stupid or an idiot like Ed but more like Leni, being a silly, goofy airhead with a big heart and imagination & with moments of clarity and intelligence).

True there but for what it is, I didn't find this subplot interesting, more of a decent and harmless time filler (also, just like you, I'm glad they explained why the teacher accepted her here). And yes, it would be an interesting story, which would fit well with the fact that she's now in charge of her siblings now that Lori is gone to Fairway.
    Just to clarify, I don't think the Leni subplot was that good either and not interesting per se, but still kinda amusing as filler material (and to give Leni something to do, while still tying a bit into Lori leaving and it making her a little confused). I didn't mind it at all, plus as said, I do hope it will lead to that story suggestion with her volunteering there.

Agreed, come to think of it, it's in a way part of why this spin-off is less "groundbreaking" (for Nickelodeon standards at the time) than the main show was back there, it kinda gives it an "a silly little show among other" aspect, I don't know if it's just me, even though it keeps parts of what makes The Loud House so enjoyable. And yeah, while the shopping episode was overall decent to me, the ending was absolute nonsense, and the parody aspect doesn't excuse it.
    I don't mind 'The Casagrandes' doing things differently, but I at least wish they were staying a little more true to the sister show it spawned from and keep down the exaggeratedly silly and ridiculous unrealistic stuff to a smaller minimum. Like you say, it feels more like a silly show like so many others nowadays and if they head too far into the cartoonish direction it will lose some of the heart and soul its sister show has in spades. I would hate for it to jump the shark and become a wacky zany cartoon like there's so many of already.

@GlitterCat, 'One Flu' is a good episode as one of the first. Probably one of my favorites from the first season. If you want to choose between episodes, you could go to the episode listings on the TLH wiki and pick out the ones that seem the most interesting to you and hope you'll be able to catch them. I recommend some of the double-length ones like '11 Louds A Leapin', 'Tricked!' & 'Really Loud Music'.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-20-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Gonna give my thoughts on the latest four episodes of the passed weeks. Unmarked spoilers below as usual, folks.

'The Boss Maybe' was really good. Leni episodes always lean towards great and this one had a plotline I looked forward to ever since they announced the time-skip and Lori moving out to college, namely Leni being the oldest child in the house and having to be the responsible one. This one really executed that premise nicely, with Leni being put in charge of the younger siblings while Lynn Sr., Rita & Lily are away at an renaissance fair and coming to realize she's way over her head in a fun story of her trying to make the siblings behave, even going into full mental bluescreen/breakdown mode and just standing still in place with an empty thousand-yard stare (which I found funny). I really liked her trying to be the responsible one, her calling Lori repeatedly for pointers was also pretty fun & there were some nice stuff with the siblings (I also liked the recurring gag with Scoots and her hunk boyfriend & Mr. Grouse helping Leni out was neat too). Nice end with Leni getting inspiration from her work friends and manage to get a hold of the house until the parents come back (and they only note one hole in the floor, made from Lisa's chemicals. They will discover the additional one in the kitchen, I think). Solid episode overall.

'Family Bonding' was a decent one. The plot deals with Lincoln & Clyde being in a spy craze (due to their new hero being a comic book secret spy) and suspecting the new neighbors of the Loud's being enemy agents, turned out to be an alright one. It in many ways felt like a silly season 1 episode with the setup, Lincoln & Clyde being childishly suspicious and spying on the new family (seeing obvious signs something is up with what clues they gather), leading to the reveal that the family were not spies and Lincoln being in the wrong and facing punishment for breaking into their house (and Lola is a tattletale again who blows the boys' cover). I did like the "Bart Of Darkness"-like premise and there were some fun bits (I especially liked Rita getting her overbearing family away from the new one by spraying them with a water bottle), but I could easily see where the plot was heading. Then came that last minute twist (that with the new family actually being villain spies who then make a smokescreen escape) that I did not see coming and it honestly made it a little better, despite being over the top comic bookish even for this show. Again, it's a decent outing which I didn't mind, but probably my least favorite of these.

'Strife Of The Party' was fine. Lola & Lana episodes often tend to be enjoyable and this one did have a nice plot of their 7th birthday coming up and them both having plants (even though parents usually do that? Lynn Sr. and Rita appeared only toward the end), though here I do think they exaggerated Lana a little too much, wanting really wanting the party to be dirt & trash themed with poo-brown decorations, a large cake of dirt & mud and whatever to Lola's disgust (Lana has a lot of interests that would be great as a party theme but here she was obsessed with dirt and garbage). Lola trying to stop Lana's party was entertainingand the conflict was good, with Lola being selfish driving Lana away, but really, Lana was selfish too and only thought about what party she wanted, not what Lola would also appreciate. Then Lola apologizes and to drive the fact home, she rearranges her perfect pink party to a trash-themed one with a cake looking like a mound of dirt (a lot of food coloring). The episode missed the obvious solution at having the twins compromise to have a party befitting both (surprising that Lynn Sr & Rita had no say), but like said, I do like episodes about the twins and this one was alright.

'Kernel Of Truth' was all okay, but probably the least interesting of these four. Nice enough story with Lincoln & his friends at school finding the old school news room (apparently abandoned since 1982. We also find out Zach' mom was in that team, which was a nice bit of background info or rather show lore in a sense. Also Rusty getting a crush on her was amusing) and deciding to be the new news team and trying to convince the principal to keep their newfound position by finding something really interesting and newsworthy to report about. It was not a great story, but still enjoyable and with some nice and funny little moments like the reports the kids make (the Lynn scene I liked, plus the moment with Mr. Bolhofner made me chuckle) & their mission to discover the popcorn thief was an amusing one with some nice moodiness to the outdoor scene with the dusk. It was predictable to whom the culprit was (especially with that early scene where they talk to the principal's receptionist) but the story was still all right by me, plus the reveal was not like I assumed (the popcorn not being used to eating, but isolation) and I like the gang getting to continue being the school news team for the near future. Okay stuff.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-28-2020 at 08:00 AM.

I haven't watched last week's couple of episodes (nor the Halloween episode of Amphibia released during the weekend), but i did see this years Halloween episode of the former so I figured I'll do a brief review. Spoilers ahoy!

'Ghosted!' was pretty decent. I liked to see a full length episode centered around Lori at the golfing university of Fairway's & to make it a story about the grounds being haunted by a ghost that keeps bothering her was interesting (a little extreme to actually have it be an actual ghost, again testing the limits of a show that usually keeps a relatively realistic style, but it was not nearly as over the top ridiculous as the season premiere 'Schooled!' and besides, even the first season had some fantastical stuff such).

I enjoyed how the first half was her seeking help from Lincoln & Clyde to act as Ghostbusters (a natural choice as they are big fans of the 'AAARGH!' ghost hunting show, here shown again) and it led to some entertaining scenes of them finding and hunting the ghost all over the university grounds (with Lori; her stress hair-loss design is pretty funny) with some nice gags and sequences overall (I really liked the library bit for one thing), ending with them successfully driving the ghost away (it was like an episode of its own).

Then the story does a turnaround and shows that the ghost was actually a good luck ghost, Shanks the official Fairway university ghost who has haunted the grounds for a hundred years, and without him the students have terrible luck which threatens the championships so Lori needs the ghost back). It was over the top with the ghost being the official ghost caddy of sorts for the ground but as an Halloween episode dabbling the supernatural it worked out (and like I said, there's been some more exaggerated stuff in the show).

The latter half has Lori getting help from Lucy & the Mortician's Club to bring the ghost back (pretty amusing contrasting to the first half) and this too had a lot of enjoyable scenes and gags with them trying to lure the ghost back (though the stinking bread that causes humans eating it to be gassy I could have done without). I especially liked the dance scene with the 1900's music getting intterupted by a disco party & I enjoyed Boris' subplot ending up being a cheerleader by accident (amusing little side thing).

Nice ending with Lori going to the cemetary (which includes that weird, creepy gopher to beg the ghost to comes back, playing a few ghostly golf rounds with it (nice gag with the monster portal in the golf hole & her creeped out reaction) & asks if he'll come back for the sake of the rest of the school's team, ending with the ghost back to give good luck for the championship to win the game. Also nice end gag with Boris enjoying being a cheerleader so much Lucy wonders if he'll end up staying there.

This was a good one. A little hefty on the fantastical with the ghost being real the whole time, but I could easily swallow that aspect much as it was an Halloween episode and managed to be a little nicely unsettling and creepy at time (plus the direction and animation was great with some neat colors and angles so definitely one of the best looking episodes). I also liked the background lore with the origin of the ghost. It was etter than both the premiere & last year's 'Kings Of The Con' (and certainly much more likeable).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-21-2020 at 08:12 AM.

I haven't seen all of the new eps, but Strife solidified that Lana is my least favorite sibling. She's just too gross. She does have an interest in animals which I like, and her mechanic skills could be brought up more, but she's absolutely filthy and disgusting, reveling in dirt and mud far beyond what a normal little child might enjoy. She does things like chew used gum and her bad habits are so bad they've literally caused her to have an abscessed tooth (one of the few times he natural consequences of her filthy lifestyle were brought up.) She's not funny or endearing, just a horrible character. Lola's not much better, being kind of a bossy prima donna and threatening to the others (not in this episode, but in the past.)

'Strife of The Party' paints Lana in a very poor and exaggerated way. She's had gross moments with dumpster diving and liking things others find off-putting and there's been an even emphasis on her love for animals and cars/fixing things (and usually she is friendly and/or helpful) but here she was fixated on dirt, garbage and whatnot and blind about anything else. She was extremely Flanderized.

I usually like the character (and since essentially all the characters are a little over the top I don't mind her gross moments) but here she was too extreme to the point of it getting stupid. Also, saying she is a horrible character just because she is gross and messy (like many little kids) and ignoring her good qualities (I've certainly found her funny and endearing) is unfair, but it is my opinion and you are free to have your own.

As for Lola, I still find her one of the best and most well-written characters on the show. She is well-rounded and threedimensional, usually very funny in my opinion & Grey's performance is delightful and often elevates the written material. I remember back when the show started and how many disliked her (also Lori got a lot of hate) but over the years she has developed into a much more liked character.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I haven't talked about most of the recent episodes of the show yet (I probably will this week-end, hopefully) but I have to agree with you guys about Lana and Strife of the Party. I noticed her gross personality has been flanderized throughout the seasons and this episode was definitely the apotheosis of that, much to my dismay. And while I wouldn't say it entirely killed it (or that it killed her character), it certainly hurted it.

Seriously, if they had to push one of her personality traits at the absolute max, why did it have to be the most repulsive one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I noticed her gross personality has been flanderized throughout the seasons and this episode was definitely the apotheosis of that, much to my dismay. And while I wouldn't say it entirely killed it (or that it killed her character), it certainly hurted it.
    It feels that some of the characters have indeed been quite Flanderized and Lana was another victim here (man, I really hope that this is the furthest they went with that since she was close to insufferable here. I defnitely sided with Lola. At least her parties are a natural fit for other kids despite the garish pink colors and princess-y stuff as opposed to Lana's trash & garbage themed party. I wish they could have met half-way and planned the party together).

Still, there have recently been some really good Lana episodes such as 'Game Off' & 'Wheel And Deal' which I hope there will be more of (I would have loved if that one podcast with her volunteering at the animal shelter would have been an episode. It was great) so it is really depending on the writer, which is the usual issue, it seems. There needs to be more consistency instead of a character's most negative traits being played up to the extremes like in 'Strife'.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    It feels that some of the characters have indeed been quite Flanderized and Lana was another victim here (man, I really hope that this is the furthest they went with that since she was close to insufferable here. I defnitely sided with Lola. At least her parties are a natural fit for other kids despite the garish pink colors and princess-y stuff as opposed to Lana's trash & garbage themed party. I wish they could have met half-way and planned the party together).

Still, there have recently been some really good Lana episodes such as 'Game Off' & 'Wheel And Deal' which I hope there will be more of (I would have loved if that one podcast with her volunteering at the animal shelter would have been an episode. It was great) so it is really depending on the writer, which is the usual issue, it seems. There needs to be more consistency instead of a character's most negative traits being played up to the extremes like in 'Strife'.
    I have not seen game off or wheel and deal, perhaps I'll look for them next. As it stands my least fave sibs are the twins, lynn for her godawful superstition and aggression and luan for the April fool's ep I saw where she's near psychotic. I've been told the luan and benny episodes are the way to go for her, just a matter of finding eps where lana and luan come off in a better light I guess. Lynn I want to like because I loved sports as a kid but I didn't bully my brother or make everyone do stupid or silly rituals. My sports ritual is to dance during half time. It's a little silly but I don't make my boyfriend join in. It's more like being a cheerleader.

For me, really the only Luan episodes that take her schtick too far are the April Fools ones (which a lot of people really dislike, including @John95) although I was okay with the very first one in the first season. Other than that she has been portrayed well and is a character I enjoy (and the introduction of Benny into her life did make her arc all the more interesting). She has shown a lot of improvement development-wise.

Lynn I am still torn on. I just think they play up her being a mean, bullying jerkass too hard (just because she is a sport jock doesn't mean she needs to be an asshole) and the superstition problem she has really quickly got silly and ridiculous. I still find that the writers have a hard time giving her some good writing but sometimes they do give her some good material (such as 'Lynner Takes All', 'Net Gains' & 'Good Sports' among others).

Thread Information