Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Also, I said my assumption for when it would return would be around two or three months after Coupe Dreams.

Rusty also appears to still be voiced by Wyatt Griswold, and all references to Gunnar Sizemore taking over the role have been removed on the Wiki.
    Yeah, I was wondering if you said that since after I posted, but I opted to not return to edit the post.

Also, Rusty having his old voice actor makes me wonder if this episode was produced for the tail end of season 4, maybe? Also, with this only taking place a few months after 'Friends In Dry Places' & 'Coupe Dreams' (which seems like in June, and this in September with the school start) and judging by the promo, doesn't look like the time skip (which will be one year in universe, I think it was said) won't happen just yet, so maybe later in the season? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I personally assumed it would begin around September but it is indeed sooner that we could have expected (since season 4 started like two months and a half after the previous one ended). I'm eager to see the gang going through middle school and since it looks like a one hour special, in your opinion, will it be some kind of four part episode, two specials, or four distinct episodes about Lincoln and the gang in middle school ? Anyway, I'm interested, it will be a nice way to make a transition from pre-growing up to post-growing up.
    I guess I've gotten used to longer hiatuses with shows (such as the ridiculous, nearly year long one for the last season of 'Star Vs.') that I actually guessed the show wouldn't return before at least December/January so I am glad to have been wrong there. September is a good spot for it to return, esopecially with this plotline and how it does change the status quo after the summer.

To me, it seems like it will be two 22 minute episodes that make up this special. When they say one hour special in the promo I linked to, I'm guessing 15 minutes will be commercials that those that watch the episode digitally won't get, unless it's like the 'Tangled' series finale and has the episode actually push little over one hour (which feels unlikely, but possible).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Ok, so this is a double post but I was thinking.

@John95 & @Wile E. the Brain, at which point do you think the show will do the time skip? Seeing as the upcoming special premiere ('Schooled!') of season 5 seem to take place 2-3 months after 'Coupe Dreams' (which I assume is in May-June and this one is in August-September with Linc & friends beginning middle school) and the time skip will be one year ahead in-universe (like they said), I'm thinking maybe mid-season?

Escuchame? Bloodcurdling Sandurt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Ok, so this is a double post but I was thinking.

@John95 & @Wile E. the Brain, at which point do you think the show will do the time skip? Seeing as the upcoming special premiere ('Schooled!') of season 5 seem to take place 2-3 months after 'Coupe Dreams' (which I assume is in May-June and this one is in August-September with Linc & friends beginning middle school) and the time skip will be one year ahead in-universe (like they said), I'm thinking maybe mid-season?
    Hold up Schooled is getting a time skip?

@Sandurt, They have previouly announced that season 5 will mean a time skip for the series (one year in-show), but with that promo for the season opener it seems like this particular episode ('Schooled!') won't be a time skip but only taking place a few months after the end of season 4.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I think Coupe Dreams takes place at least in July, considering the fact that, at the end, she says that she has to be Mr. Grouse's personal chauffeur "just for the summer" in order to have his car.

Regarding the time skip, I believe it will be gradual. After all at first they didn't directly say there will be a one year time skip, they said all the siblings will move up a grade, and it was announced they will be one year older some time later. So I guess the entire season will be a gradual progression in this new year, and that there won't be a complete one year time skip between two episodes.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBA

Best / Worst from each season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted / Homer's Odyssey - 2. Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes On Every Fish / Dancin' Homer - 3. Homer at the Bat / The Otto Show - 4. Last Exit to Springfield / Brother from the Same Planet - 5. Cape Feare / Bart's Inner Child - 6. Homer the Great / Another Simpsons Clip Show - 7. Raging Abe Simpson (...) / Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - 8. Homer vs. the 18th Amendment / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson - 9. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson / All Singing, All Dancing - 10. Mom and Pop Art / They Saved Lisa's Brain - 11. E-I-E-I-D'oh / Eight Misbehavin - 12. Trilogy of Error / Worst Episode Ever - 13. The Blunder Years / Gump Roast - 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation / Pray Anything - 15. My Mother the Carjacker / Bart-Mangled Banner - 16. Thank God, It's Doomsday / Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass - 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story / The Bonfire of the Manatees - 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple / Little Big Girl - 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Hubsband and Knives - 20. Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes / The Burns and the Bees - 21. Moe Letter Blues / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - 22. Flaming Moe / Elementary School Musical - 23. Holidays of Future Passed / Lisa Goes Gaga - 24. Dangers on a Train / Love Is a Many-Splintered Thing - 25. Steal This Episode / The Man Who Grew Too Much - 26. The Princess Guide / The Musk Who Fell to Earth - 27. Halloween of Horror / Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 28. There Will Be Buds / Dad Behavior - 29. King Leer / Frink Gets Testy - 30. Daddicus Finch / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 31. Livin' la Pura Vida / Better Off Ned

@Wile E. the Brain, 'Couple Dreams' could very well be set in July but just as easily in June (as its summer as well, plus the episode had that early summer feel in my opinion, such as with that ending).

Also, I'm also thinking it will be a gradual step-by-step. I couldn't fully remember if it was announced that would be an full one-year skip or just bit-by-bit, but its true that they did say the kids would move up a grade (which means we could be seeing episodes with the sisters beginning their new grades too), which seem like it could be pointing to a gradual evolution just like you say.

Either way, I think the show doing this will freshen it up and might get those skeptical fans who like to complain about season 4 and say how much of an uninspired downturn they felt it was of whatever (such as those on the wiki) to give it another chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAKOSSibUk

New promo for Schooled! Still no airdate besides "This September", but this promo confirms what I actually thought all along (sorry I didn't comment sooner @CousinMerl) that the time skip will take place right away as this promo reveals that Lori goes off to college and Lily's starting pre-school (gonna have to get used to her wearing more than a diaper).
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: TBD Cutaway Land: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

Thanks for the link to the IMO interesting promo, @John95. Neat that the episode will also have side plots for Lori and Lily beginning college and preschool respectively (hopefully there'll be something with the others sisters too), thought I'm mainly wondering if the plot with Lincoln & friends beginning middle school in Canada (transfer students?) will be something that sticks for a while or just turn out to be a mistake at the end of the episode and rectified (I'm gussing the latter as it does sound like something episode-specific).

@Wile E. the Brain & @John95, do you guys think they'll change the intro and the theme for the fifth season, that with the imminnt status quo changes and all that (maybe mainly Lori leaving for college)?

It would feel a little odd to have the old intro now that the latter is not living in the house anymore (also maybe take the advantage to add Lynn Sr. and Rita to the opening as well, considering they have long since been promoted to central characters?)

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I wasn't mentioned, It would be suitable if they did, and I think they will.

@Trab Pu Kcip, I didn't know you watched the show so therefore I didn't give you a shout out (I only focused on the thread regulars). Apologies. I suppose I could mention @Sandurt as well since he posted here earlier.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-01-2020 at 11:51 AM.

I watch Loud House but I'm really behind

Blog Entries

I rarely watch Loud House, mainly due to time constraints, but I'm aware of the plots.

Season 5 begins in less than one week and can be an important turn in The Loud House history, so I think it's time for me to talk about the last 4 episodes of season 4 I haven't reviewed yet.

So first, How Double Dare You! which was actually enjoyable to me, surprisingly. I didn't expect much on this one, I know pretty much nothing about Double Dare and the sheer idea to make a crossover with a TV show owned by Nickelodeon to basically praise it isn't a very good idea in my opinion (not to mention how many countries wouldn't get what TV show they're making a crossover with, but I guess not having the reference isn't really a problem actually). But in the end, I liked where this episode decided to go, making a clear focus on the siblings bonding with some surprisingly heartfelt moments. I liked the focus on Lisa as well, and even though the first part can be a little long considering the pay off with Lisa going to the show with her robot instead of one of her siblings, I think it's a good way to highlight how she can underestimate her siblings because they aren't as smart as she wants them to be (without making her unsympathetic either), and that makes the conclusion even better. The part at Double Dare is also pretty entertaining (even though that didn't make me want to watch the TV show but I think it fits well in the colorful universe of The Loud House and in animation), but there are two massive plot shortcuts that can be annoying considering how important to the plot they are (Is it fair that Lisa have the right to team up with a robot in such a TV show ? Not a single family in Royal Woods other than the Louds wanted to participate in this TV show ?). But like I said, the entertainment value is still strong enough, and it has some very nice heartwarming moments. And Leni is pure gold in this episode. Way better than Legends in my opinion, a pretty good episode overall.

Snoop's On is rather disappointing. It's not as bad as it could've been but I think it's far from being a well-executed one. I didn't like the idea of Lincoln and Leni wanting to know Luna's big secret in her diary. I know curiosity is a part of what makes kids kids, but I still consider it a little out of character for them. If Leni wasn't aware that she was reading Luna's diary until reaching the part where she talk about something she could never confess to her family and making clear that it's because they're worrying for her and because they think it's something bad that happened to her that they wanna know this secret, it could've been less OOC. But anyway, the episode decided to take the mystery routine with Leni and Lincoln, and Luan as well, thinking that Luna became sort of a hooligan skipping school and doing pranks, which on his own can be funny (and at least, here we know that it's because they care about Luna that they're snooping on her), but here it was rather boring. Too bad it wasn't entertaining enough to overshadow the predictable pay off, and a way to make everything more complicated than it needed to be, without focusing on the heartwarming possibilities (seriously, when the hell will we get an episode about Luan and Luna ?!). And the idea of another character being a bad influence for one of the siblings is also a good one but they didn't took advantage of it either, it was just there for the twist of this character actually being Sam (how surprising), otherwise "Roxy" was pretty much pointless. It think it was okay at best, thanks to some good moments (the biker gang, Mr. Coconuts), but pretty uninspired. Also, I guess Mr. C is actually alive, or else, how is he able to move when Luan is on her bike escaping the bikers ? That's pretty awesome, aha.

Friends in Dry Place, yeah it's a clear step up compared to the previous two. A very heartwarming and relatable story about former friends we're scared to forget as we grow up in different places. I really liked this idea (also it's not the focus but I like that we learn another thing about Lynn's past that kinda add more depth to her), Lincoln's insecurities are well executed, and the overall episode has a simple yet charming tone that worked very well with me, overall I liked the summer camp context a lot. It's not the funniest episode but the relatable side of the plot makes the episode. Though, in a typical cartoon fashion, there are some little exaggerations like Rusty forgiving Lincoln's name for a second all of sudden, but they are minor flaws. I also enjoy the last part a lot, with the gang lost because of Lincoln and being angry at him but still being concerned for him when he might be in danger and coming back without second thought to help him when he needs help. It's simple yet very touching to me. And it's a good reminder that not all friends you are very close with will forget you over time or vice-versa, regardless of your age by the way. Sometimes this kind of idea can be a little too "all's well that ends well" but I do think it's a relatable lesson. Very good episode.

And Coupe Dreams is also pretty solid. Though far from being the best episode about Lori from this season (Senior Moment remains the best), it was an enjoyable story about Lori wanting to have a car of her own, and of course not your average car but a very expansive coupé. Now I do enjoy the idea behind it, I don't know if it's just me or if the very cool car is kind of a metaphor for entering the adult life with a bang for Lori, it is a good story to end her arc as a high school student, but her way to try to have enough money for it isn't really anything new, it's a little like Though Cookies with only one person (or two in the case of the former episode) to handle so many jobs or things related to one job all by himself (or themselves) until it turns into disaster. The whole episode is fun enough, I liked how it involved many residents from Royal Woods, even for quick cameos, to remind how full of life this town can be, but it's not always the most clever humor-wise. But I did like the ending a lot. A realistic way to end the episode with Lori deciding to have a much more affordable car courtesy of Mr. Grouse (and her loving it despite not being as fancy looking as a coupé) though she has to be his personal chauffeur for the rest of the summer in order to have it; I really like how Mr. Grouse became more dimensional over time starting with the famous Christmas episode, instead of just being the grouchy neighbor who deserves his name. Overall it's a good episode to end the season and before a new era begins.

And that was season 4. I think I'll make a recap of the season in a couple of days, what I did or didn't like about it, what are the best and worst episodes in my opinion and some other things, who knows.

@CousinMerl,

do you guys think they'll change the intro and the theme for the fifth season, that with the imminnt status quo changes and all that (maybe mainly Lori leaving for college)?
    Now that would be interesting. I don't know if they will do that to be honest but that's something I hope they will to make clear how the show has evolved from the "one boy, ten girls in the Loud house" routine to became much more over time. Wait and see I guess.

Nice to finally hear your thoughts on the last 4 of season 4, @Wile E. the Brain.

Seems we think just about the same about them. Even if I didn't like 'How Double Dare You!' as much as you we seem to be in agreement that 'Snoop's On' was pretty meh; I still think it's OK at best but yeah, kinda feels like a parade of missed opportunities; the more I think of it I dislike they went with the "misleading fake diary entry" plot, which just became very predictable in the end (I swapped the two around in my rankings, btw)

Just a few other comments I'll add:

Is it fair that Lisa have the right to team up with a robot in such a TV show?
    I was surprised that it was allowed (especially since she built it herself). Kinda made the episode a little sillier than it needed to be, although I like Lisa more in this episode in retrospect (even though I still think she went too hard on her siblings in the first half, despite being obsessive about winning the space capsule, which I still think it's a bit odd that she couldn't build one herself, seeing as how she has constructed numerous impressive devices and machines before).

I didn't like the idea of Lincoln and Leni wanting to know Luna's big secret in her diary. I know curiosity is a part of what makes kids kids, but I still consider it a little out of character for them. If Leni wasn't aware that she was reading Luna's diary until reaching the part where she talk about something she could never confess to her family and making clear that it's because they're worrying for her and because they think it's something bad that happened to her that they wanna know this secret, it could've been less OOC.
    I still don't think it felt that out of character for them to snoop around Luna's diary. They are still kids and they do stupid and ignorant things from time to time, such as invading a sibling's privacy out of curiosity (and maybe fear that she was writing unflattering things). Leni being so invested in finding out the secret did feel a little extreme, but the way her characterization was handled in the episode made it work. They weren't doing it out of ill will either, they were just too nosy for their own good and ended up worried for their sister (plus they apologized and learnt their lesson, keeping true to the often used "lesson learned" stories in the show).

Either way, the episode had bigger issues than that as already mentioned, such as being too predictable and not as fun as it could've been.

Also, I guess Mr. C is actually alive, or else, how is he able to move when Luan is on her bike escaping the bikers?
    I still have no idea what's going on behind these little moments with the dummy seeming to have a will of his own (it would be bizarre in an otherwise decently down to earth show if he was truly alive), but I still like that recurring sidegag (and how they seem to treat him as a person at times).

I don't know if it's just me or if the very cool car is kind of a metaphor for entering the adult life with a bang for Lori
    I really that's what they were intending (also with the car she did get in the end, which I'm still glad wasn't a super spiffy one as that would've been too convenient), especially with the placement of this episode as the season finale (also with the last shot with Lori driving off into the sunset, of sorts).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-05-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Even if I didn't like 'How Double Dare You!' as much as you we seem to be in agreement that Snoop's On was pretty meh; I still think it's OK at best but yeah, kinda feels like a parade of missed opportunities; the more I think of it I dislike they went with the "misleadinh fake diary entry" plot, which just became very predictable in the end
    By the way, one thing I didn't mention but another reason Snoop's On fails as a mystery episode is the very low rewatch value. A good mystery episode (or movie or book or whatever for that matter) with surprising twists and everything is the kind of episode that has more to offer than just the mystery and can be rewatched even when we're aware of what happens in it and still being enjoyable due to what there is besides. But this episode hasn't much more to offer in my opinion, and that makes it even more dull.

I still don't think it felt that out of character for them to snoop around Luna's diary. They are still kids and they do stupid and ignorant things from time to time, such as invading a sibling's privacy out of curiosity (and maybe fear that she was writing unflattering things). Leni being so invested in finding out the secret did feel a little extreme, but the way her characterization was handled in the episode made it work. They weren't doing it out of ill will either, they were just too nosy for their own good and ended up worried for their sister (plus they apologized and learnt their lesson, keeping true to the often used "lesson learned" stories in the show).
    That's a good point but I still think it went a little too far when they decide to deliberately read her diary a second time after the opening scene, when Luna goes out practicing. I do get the intent, and I'm the first one to say that they aren't perfect and can do more stupid or selfish things because that's how kids work (I have no problem with how Leni acts in Don't You Fore-Get About Me for example), but I still do think it was clumsily handled, even for the sake of the "lesson learned" kind of story (not to mention Luan having no problem to help them even though I don't remember they justified why they searched Luna's diary). If they did have the proof something bad happened to Luna whatever how bad it is, it would've been more interesting. But yeah, at least what comes after shows that they really care about Luna's safety, and yes they didn't do that just by ill will, and that kinda makes up for it.

I still have no idea what's going on behind these little moments with the dummy seeming to have a will of his own (it would be bizarre in an otherwise decently down to earth show if he was truly alive), but I still like that recurring sidegag (and how they seem to treat him as a person at times).
    Yeah that's the kind of cartoon humor I don't have problems with here, as long as it's just a little gag, instead of a plot point like the cat acting way too human in Kings of the Con. One from time to time can be really funny (like the ending gag from Stage Plight or the one from Hand-Me-Downer).

I really that's what they were intending (also with the car she did get in the end, which I'm still glad wasn't a super spiffy one as that would've been too convenient), especially with the placement of this episode as the season finale (also with the last shot with Lori driving off into the sunset, of sorts).
    You're right, that last shot is a nice way to support that metaphor, good thinking. I'm also glad they avoided the convenient routine I feared at first, the current formula of the show has a little tendency (for a handful of episodes but not for all of them of course) to make some situations easier than they are in real life, and I'm glad they still know how to keep things realistic most of the time.

@Wile E. the Brain

I still think it went a little too far when they decide to deliberately read her diary a second time after the opening scene, when Luna goes out practicing. I do get the intent, and I'm the first one to say that they aren't perfect and can do more stupid or selfish things because that's how kids work (I have no problem with how Leni acts in Don't You Fore-Get About Me for example), but I still do think it was clumsily handled, even for the sake of the "lesson learned" kind of story (not to mention Luan having no problem to help them even though I don't remember they justified why they searched Luna's diary). If they did have the proof something bad happened to Luna whatever how bad it is, it would've been more interesting.
    You do make some good points there, I can give you that (and if they had proof then yes, it would have been more intriguing for the plot), but I still wasn't bothered by the exaggerations too much. Luan's involvement did feel a bit too much and was a little forced, but then again, she does share room with Luna (and they might have their disputes, etc). so I could buy her wanting in on it as well.

As for Leni and your issue with her so easily reading Luna's diary, there is a point in that too. I think they could have swapped her with Lola and the episode could have worked more to its favor (as Lola is more of a devious one and feels like someone who would read the diaries of others. Heck, now that I think of it, her pulling Lincoln into reading the diary too would have been a stronger plot and made more sense for sure, don't you think?).

You're right, that last shot is a nice way to support that metaphor, good thinking. I'm also glad they avoided the convenient routine I feared at first, the current formula of the show has a little tendency (for a handful of episodes but not for all of them of course) to make some situations easier than they are in real life, and I'm glad they still know how to keep things realistic most of the time.
    I think it is very important they don't always make things too convenient and keep to some form of realism (as I've been saying before, I really like all those "reality ensues" moments that often bring the show back to the ground and makes it more relatable and loveable), but sometimes exaggeration is fine, especially for the sake of comedy. If they make too many things convenient for the sake of the plot, I feel the show would lose something it had even from the start.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-05-2020 at 01:54 PM.

The show is confirmed to be renewed for a 6th season:

https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-lou...on-1234573149/

Nice? I guess.

I need a lot of catching up to do

As for Leni and your issue with her so easily reading Luna's diary, there is a point in that too. I think they could have swapped her with Lola and the episode could have worked more to its favor (as Lola is more of a devious one and feels like someone who would read the diaries of others. Heck, now that I think of it, her pulling Lincoln into reading the diary too would have been a stronger plot and made more sense for sure, don't you think?).
    Yes I do. In fact Lola did reveal that she has the bad habit to read her siblings' diaries in No Laughing Matter, and I could definitely buy someone like her being so curious about something wrote in the diary of one of her siblings. It's more in character for her. I don't mind the idea of Leni being curious about a diary in itself, but the way it was handled here doesn't much convince me. But hey, it's not like they made Leni looking like a completely different person just with that either.

I think it is very important they don't always make things too convenient and keep to some form of realism (as I've been saying before, I really like all those "reality ensues" moments that often bring the show back to the ground and makes it more relatable and loveable), but sometimes exaggeration is fine, especially for the sake of comedy.
    Yes I'm fine with exaggeration occasionally too, especially since, after all, it remains an animated cartoon, more down to earth but not without the exaggeration allowed by animation. But when the point is to tell morals about things relatable to us with our realistic point of view, it's important not to make those situations easier that they are and to keep being realistic with them and how to handle them, especially for a show where the down to earth side is a big part of what makes its formula. Not everything can be solved just by an apology, after all. But like I (and you) said, fortunately convenient plots are pretty rare in this show.

Well it's nice to see the show keeping its popularity and getting renewed, as a fan of the show I'm of course proud of that, but I do hope Nickelodeon won't milk the franchise until it completely lose its freshness (well, it's Nickelodeon we're talking about, who relies a bit too much on SpongeBob and The Loud House and quietly burried shows like Harvey Beaks, Rise of the TMNT and - not yet, and hopefully it will be renewed - Glitch Techs). Season 4 already suffered a little of the too formulaic side the show has got since quite some time, and I hope season 5 will be the opportunity for the show to try new and interesting things, to show that it won't run out of steam. I don't want this show to suffer of quantity over quality, like SpongeBob did during season 5 through 9. Though, it's nice to see a show that has a clear focus of what it want to be.

Blog Entries

The show is confirmed to be renewed for a 6th season:

https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-lou...on-1234573149/
    I'm all happy with that news!
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Well it's nice to see the show keeping its popularity and getting renewed, as a fan of the show I'm of course proud of that, but I do hope Nickelodeon won't milk the franchise until it completely lose its freshness (well, it's Nickelodeon we're talking about, who relies a bit too much on SpongeBob and The Loud House and quietly burried shows like Harvey Beaks, Rise of the TMNT and - not yet, and hopefully it will be renewed - Glitch Techs). Season 4 already suffered a little of the too formulaic side the show has got since quite some time, and I hope season 5 will be the opportunity for the show to try new and interesting things, to show that it won't run out of steam. I don't want this show to suffer of quantity over quality, like SpongeBob did during season 5 through 9. Though, it's nice to see a show that has a clear focus of what it want to be.
    Yeah, I really hope it won't get to the point of going on autopilot in some sort of seasonal rot or, worse yet, "zombie Loud House" (like you say it is possible with how much Nick has milked SpongeBob to death, seemingly to the point of no one ever really talking about the modern version of that show nowadays), but with season 5 and the time skip thing they are freshening up the show and hopefully it'll be the adrenaline injection with freshness and new things the show needs right now (as season 4 had definite shades of formula and a bit of staleness amongst all the good stuff. I'm very posiive and really look forward to finding what stories they'll tell this season.

As for Nick burying show, they do have a reputation for that. I heard about the 'Harvey Beaks' thing and it was really scummy of them (especially after seeing the creator talking about it on social media and seeming really crushed about it) but as for 'Rise Of The TMNT' is doesn't seem so buried to me (still going on with a sizeable fanbase, merchandizing and a Netflix movie coming up, the latter just like 'The Loud House'). I've heard a lot about 'Glitch Techs' which seem popular (and interesting) and I'm sure it'll get a third season with the buzz it has (speaking about Netflix shows, I read that 'The Dragon' Prince has been renewed for the full seven seasons after some uncertainty after the third one, which made me happy. Hopefully there'll be some news about the third season of 'Kipo' soon).

A general reminder to the viewers that 'Schooled!' has its premiere today (kind of an odd choice to have the new season begin on this date. I saw it announced a bit earlier and I wondered if it was a preliminary date, but no, it does air today). I look forward to the show stepping into a new and fresher era and I will be back during this weekend with my thoughts on the episode.

Blog Entries

I might be able to watch it, though I might need to go somewhere. Let's hope that this is a good quality like the other episodes of the series.

I watched 'Schooled!' the other day and I would say that it was a good start to the new season as well as a new era of the show. In a way, I felt it sort of played out like a second pilot episode all in all & in that sense it did its job really well (I think new viewers could tune in and watch it as theirintroduction to the series, but having watched the previous seasons makes it even better). Spoilers below, as usual.

Being a 44 minute special episode (the first super long one of the series), they managed to include a lot of plotlines and made them all feel pretty well-paced to me & all were varying degrees of enjoyable (so nothing bad in my opinion). Starting off with Lincoln beginning his new schoolday morning and introducing the current happenings was a good move & had some nice moments throughout. I really liked the bit with Lynn Sr. & Rita and how the former is so emotional of every kid now leaving for college, school or kindergarten, the breakfast scene with Lynn Sr. having cooked up a commemorative feast (and the kids just gobbles it up like it was just any other morning, spending one minute extra at the table to show respect for their dad after being told so by Rita), Lori gets a heartfelt farewell scene before heading off and then the episode splits up into several plotlines.

Lincoln & his best friends beginning middle school was a good story. It had two good song and it splits up nicely into three stories (Lincoln ending up in another, lesser class headed by the intimidating Mr. Bolhofner, the rest of the gang having issues due to him not being in their class & Lynn as the new hall monitor who is overzelaous). Lincoln sent to Canada as an exchange student and its a bit of a mixed bag, as they really laid on the Canada stereotyping thickly (it was amusing, but I expected more than them just succumbing to stereotypes). Then they go with the predictable "trying to get expelled" story, leading up to the solution with him getting kicked out of the country for a stupid triviality (denying maple syrup), however I did enjoy him and his friends having been prepared to accept both parties being in different schools & nice end with him contently back in Bolhofner's class, even speaking up to the teacher who proves to not be so bad. Flawed story but entertaining and bittersweet.

Then there's Lily starting daycare and getting sent home after a day for apparently not being potty trainer (despite having shown to be so at the start) and Lynn Sr. & Rita tries their best to train her properly so they can enjoy their alone time at home (for the first time in probably a couple of decades). This was a fun story, a good one for Lily and with some nice jokes with the parents fooling around in the house, having trouble with Lilly (who ends up inadvertedly locking them out of the house) & having Lisa build a potty-training guard robot to make Lily go to the bathroom. Nice ending with it turning out Lily was potty trained but only faked not being it since she didn't like it, but changes her mind thanks to finding out all the fun stuff Leni enjoyed on her trip there and desperately wants to go. Enjoyed this one.

Speaking of Leni's little side story, it was funny (maybe the biggest laugh for me). It is just a simple plot of her struggling with Lori's immediate departure and accidentally entering the daycare bus because of her airheaded nature and spending time there with the toddlers, learning, playing and having nap times (all the while the teachers mistakens her for a volunteer). Lots of funny bits here, like her napping and sucking her thumb & finding the trampoline so much fun she has a hard time getting off of it (then she is ultimately leaves the place offscreen). It really reminded me of Season 1 Leni and how goofy and childlike she could be and it was endearing (a little jarring with her being employed at a clothing store and being fairly competent, though). Nothing special, but as an added bit of humor and Leni being loveably simple-minded it was good

Lastly, we have Lori trying to settle in at the college dorms (with some help from her boyfriend Bobby) and never feeling that she really fits in. It was a fun one with all the various dorm floors having its own "thing", with one being the quiet one (with a lot of shushing at Lori for even the slightest thing), one having golf balls flying about, one with sand in the closets & even one with water leaking everywhere (and an random alligator). it was exaggerated but had some nice jokes and Lori's coming home saddened since she doesn't feel ready was great (I also really like how she was able to change her mind after overheading Lincoln and his friends being ready to accept the change of Linc going to the school in Canada). It was a nice one overall.

All in all, a decent start to the season. Despite having issues and hiccups (such as elying too much on stereotyping instead of doing Lincoln's school story in Canada more interesting and poignants. Lori's plot being too wacky & Lynn going too far as a hall monitor by acting like a bully by shoving the rulebreakers into lockers) it was still enjoyable overall with some solid plotlines, ood jokes and gags & a few surprises (such as Lincoln not conveniently ending up in the same class as his friends in the end, but making good with what he has in the one he was assigned to). I'd say the Lily & Leni plots were my favorites. Not great, but nice. It will be interesting seeing what stories there'll be this season.

(Oh, and please don't quote this entire post, anyone. It'll clog up the page and would look weird if I'll want to edit it later, which I am sure of).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-17-2020 at 12:16 AM.

As for Nick burying show, they do have a reputation for that. I heard about the 'Harvey Beaks' thing and it was really scummy of them (especially after seeing the creator talking about it on social media and seeming really crushed about it) but as for 'Rise Of The TMNT' is doesn't seem so buried to me (still going on with a sizeable fanbase, merchandizing and a Netflix movie coming up, the latter just like 'The Loud House'). I've heard a lot about 'Glitch Techs' which seem popular (and interesting) and I'm sure it'll get a third season with the buzz it has (speaking about Netflix shows, I read that 'The Dragon' Prince has been renewed for the full seven seasons after some uncertainty after the third one, which made me happy. Hopefully there'll be some news about the third season of 'Kipo' soon).
    I know for the Rise of the TMNT movie, but if I remember well, the last episodes of the show aired on the secondary channel, NickToons, and there barely were promo for that, which is a shame. Also, if I don't say BS, I believe it was supposed to have more episodes. By the way, Glitch Techs is a damn good series, give it a shot if you can one day. As far as I'm concerned, I have to watch Kipo which sounds interesting to me.

So I watched Schooled a couple of days ago and, while it was a decent, pretty good episode, I do think it was kinda disappointing, especially considering it's supposed to be an important episode to start a new era for the show.

It actually started pretty well, I like how the beginning gave me this season 1 feeling with Lincoln talking to the audience about the chaos that rules the house on this first day of school, somehow it was refreshing. Lori saying goodbye to the family is a very sweet moment (also liked the overly emotive Lynn Sr.), and as for Lincoln in middle school, it started in a promising way, with a pretty nice song preceeding a relatable conflict about Lincoln being separated from his friends in class (also gotta love Liam's line "Yeah, we just sang a dang song about it"). So far so good, but after that, it sadly started to decline and to show what I consider writing problems.

In fact, my main problem with this episode is how much it tries to be relatable with its stories while failing a bit because of how cartoonish everything is. And that leads to my biggest disappointment of the episode, Lori's subplot. Which I love on paper, with Lori struggling to fit in on college dormitory. I love this idea, plus I've been there, I was in a dormitary when I was in high school and I couldn't feel at ease here, as I did miss my family so much. But... why did they feel like they needed to make these dorm floors cartoonish ? Wouldn't it have been much more interesting to see her struggling with life in a normal dormitory and starting to miss her family or having the feel like she couldn't make any friend or feel comfortable here, instead of putting her in a cartoonish situation where it's way more easy to feel like we don't fit in ? I have to admit though that the floors themselves are pretty clever considering how each of them are somehow related to golf (the quiet floor, which makes sense considering golf is a sport that requires concentration) but that doesn't make the story more logical and so I had a hard time to relate to Lori situation until the very end with her sadly returning to the house before getting hope courtesy of Lincoln but it would have been far more touching if the conflict was more realistic. Such a shame.

I have less or more the same problems with Lincoln's plot. Again the idea is good but it's hard to feel invested in the story when Lincoln is put into a trailer far away from the main building, like so far away that he can't go to the cafeteria in time during lunch time, with a seemingly terrible teacher and such deplorable conditions in his classroom. Again, a story that has the potential to be relatable on paper (we all were this kid who was afraid to be separated from his friends because of different classrooms), but they didn't took full advantage of it, it feels contrived to me. Not to mention the whole part in Canada which for the most part was stereotype over stereotype. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing again country stereotypes for comedy (in fact the two directors are from Canada), but it's like they didn't know how to handle this part outside of these, and at this point, they're getting very old. To be honest, I thought it was quite clever at first to make a song introducing Lincoln to Canada with almost every single canadian clichés possible, like if it was a way to play with these stereotypes by showing a song depicting a country with a completely stereotypical point of view, but since the entire part in Canada is like that, it actually failed (hell, even the reason Lincoln is banned from this country - which is hard for a kid, isn't it ? - is a stereotype !). But at least, I did like the last moments (save from the aforementioned banned part) with Lincoln, usually the man with the plan, having to face the reality that he can't solve every situation and even accepting it. It shows how strong of a character he can be (and that's nice to see how crucial each member of Lincoln's group seems to be in said group). Also, the way he indirectly motivates Lori to stay at Fairway is a very touching scene. And last but not least, I really appreciate that it didn't end with the status quo, with Lincoln returning to Royal Woods middle school, but still in the classroom he was in at first. It's a logical way to end the episode, it shows how Lincoln can be able to get used to a situation that's new to him, whether he likes it at first or not. Again, that shows how strong and inspiring he can be.

As for Leni's little subplot, it was... okay, I guess, but to be honest, it doesn't feel like it goes further than "hey, teenage girl in a preschool and acting like a baby, it's funny" as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty cute I guess but it wasn't interesting and it almost makes her dumber for the sake of such a plot (but I guess I can give it a pass, at least it's more logical to make such a plot about her during the first days of a new school year than it could've been in any other period, as if Leni thought it was a part of her new school grade, though that doesn't excuse everything). Lily's subplot was pretty nice however. The baby of the bunch is definitely becoming a more dimensional character, and while I did like that she was an ordinary, realistic baby at first, I have nothing against character evolution for her, in fact it was necessary to keep this character fresh (I like how her little redesign also shows that she's coming through character development). And it works with this nice and enjoyable subplot (though you can guess that she was faking it from the beginning, I mean you literally see her getting out of the bathroom during the first minutes), quite funny and sweet.

So all in all, I have mixed feeling about this special. As a whole it's pretty good but there was quite a lot of wasted potential. But in the end, it remains pleasant to watch, with some strong ideas and a good evolution for some of the characters, though clumsily handled, and pretty good comedy sprinkled in (really liked the timing of the scene with Rita and Lynn Sr. having the house all to themselves, though shouldn't they be at work come to think of it ?) despite boring stereotypes. But, despite everything I said, considering what this episode has to offer at its best, I think this season has a potential and I'm looking forward to see more of it.

seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar

I'm having a hard time getting into this series, I'm not really sure of the tone. Like Lincoln is giving the viewer advice like it's supposed to be relatable, this could happen to you scenarios but then he goes to the most stereotyped canada ever, freezes into an ice cube but is unharmed, gets booted out for not liking syrup, melts an ice rink with a hair dryer and some rando kid is mauled by a moose as comeuppance for mildly pranking Lincoln. It's zany and there's a real tonal disconnect between sincere advice Lincoln and what actually happened to him. I don't know if I'd watch any more episodes tbh.

@GlitterCat, not every episode is as wacky and cartoonish as 'Schooled!' so you'll be fine if you decide to continue watching the show. Go back and check out episodes from the previous seasons (such as the second and third seasons, that have some of the best) that have all had much better episodes and a ton of them are really grounded in their execution to boot (just look at one like '11 Louds A Leapin', the Christmas special, which is still a favorite of mine). If anyone of you other thread regulars have episode suggestions, by all means help out a little here.

@Wile E. the Brain, too bad you didn't like it that much, but I can understand your mixed feelings.

As said, I thought it was alright but not great. It definitely overdid the wackiness in places it didn't need, such as Lori's dorm floor plot (even if the quier floor was really funny) & Lincoln with Canada o' Stereotypes, the latter of which I think ruined a lot of things (so agreed on the stereotype song turning out to be true, which was a disappointment. I think what sold the deal on things being way too much was the iced floors and hockey being part of the curriculum. Not even The Simpsons' would get that silly).

I didn't really mind his initial middle school classroom being located apart from the school or whatever too much , plus it seemed like it ended with him starting to improve the conditions there by telling the teacher to turn down the heat (maybe the classroom will see a makeover due to Lincoln? I really hope so. Maybe the class will eventually get their own proper classroom in school? We'll see). However, why is Chandler a jerk again? I liked that season 3 episode when they seemed to be on better terms). Still, it had a lot of good moments (such as the emotion with Lori being homesick and the ending with Lincoln & friends accepting that they didn't get exactly what they wanted but are on the road to make good with what they have).

Lily's plot was the strongest as I said and the most well executed (seems like we agree there) and Leni's was nice (also, I don't really know if they made her dumber for plot conveniance? Remember how airheaded and dumb-ish she was in the early seasons? Felt like a return to that to me so that's why I didn't mind). Furthermore, I think they did nice balancing these plotlines. Overall, it was alright , but not as good as the reviews are saying (I am having a little trouble with 'The Casagrandes' turning up the cartoonishness a little too much, such as having animals behave a little too much like people, so I hope this show don't keep doing that too now. I loved the relative down to earth/semi-realism stuff of the series and I would hate if it lost that).

I would guess this is one episode that won't work as well on rewatches in my opinion, though, much as it already didn't age as well as I had hoped. The wackiness just got out of hand and I do hope it's not telling of where the direction of the writing will go.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-17-2020 at 12:20 AM.

@CousinMerl,

I think what sold the deal on things being way too much was the iced floors and hockey being part of the curriculum. Not even The Simpsons' would get that silly).
    True there, I forgot about that, it is pretty stupid. I think I kinda gave up with the mooses as taxis, personally (couldn't help but think about that Ed, Edd 'n Eddy joke "Canadians are weird !"). I still don't get what was the purpose of all these stereotypes, even D'oh Canada didn't rely THAT much on them if I remember well.

I didn't really mind his initial middle school classroom being located apart from the school or whatever too much , plus it seemed like it ended with him starting to improve the conditions there by telling the teacher to turn down the heat (maybe the classroom will see a makeover due to Lincoln? I really hope so. Maybe the class will eventually get their own proper classroom in school? We'll see).
    I understand and I do agree that it's a good base for some kind of classroom makeover story (in fact I did like how Lincoln tried to improve things a little at the end of this episode, it fits well with the message about fitting in), but I still think it was more exaggerated than it needed to. At least they gave a logical reason with this very busy principal and this teacher who seems to burst at the drop of a hat, but still, I think the balance between relatable and cartoonish was clumsy.

Leni's was nice (also, I don't really know if they made her dumber for plot conveniance? Remember how airheaded and dumb-ish she was in the early seasons? Felt like a return to that to me so that's why I didn't mind).
    Yeah I guess I was a bit harsh about that. After all she has a dummy mannequin as a friend. I guess it was because the writers seem to rely less and less on her stupidity (which I appreciate, even though that's part of her charm of course, I like that they wanted to focus more on her light-hearted nature) and that caught me off-guard a little. Still, I don't think this plot goes further than making us witnessing a teenager acting like a baby in preschool. Which wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned. Also, isn't it a bit strange that she doesn't know what she should wear when Lori can't tell her what to wear while she's an aspiring fashion designer ?

Furthermore, I think they did nice balancing these plotlines. Overall, it was alright , but not as good as the reviews are saying (I am having a little trouble with 'The Casagrandes' turning up the cartoonishness a little too much, such as having animals behave a little too much like people, so I hope this show don't keep doing that too now. I loved the relative down to earth/semi-realism stuff of the series and I would hate if it lost that).
    Yes, I witnessed The Casagrandes liking to turn up the cartoonishness as of recently (don't know if you watched the episode Guess Who's Shopping for Dinner), which is kind of a part of its own charm, that makes it standing out a little to the main show despite having the same good ol' formula for the most part (I guess having a staff a bit different from The Loud House one contributes a bit), but I do prefer when they keep it down to earth as much as possible (without necessarily giving up cartoon humor) too. Bottom line, I agree that it was decent but still kind of a disappointment of an episode.

@Wile E. the Brain

True there, I forgot about that, it is pretty stupid. I think I kinda gave up with the mooses as taxis, personally (couldn't help but think about that Ed, Edd 'n Eddy joke "Canadians are weird !"). I still don't get what was the purpose of all these stereotypes, even D'oh Canada didn't rely THAT much on them if I remember well.
    I found the episode's obsession with stereotyping Canada jarringly weird and beneath a show like this that usually don't resort to such stereotyping. I mean, they had it as this backwards country that has snow and freezing blizzards even in September, log cabin houses iurses and moose instead of taxis & an population who are super nice but become complete assholes if you say no to maple syrup? Then we have the Canadian principal who oddly was the most normal and un-stereotyped Canadian character in the episode (I don't think he even said "Eh" or "Aboot") which was nice but in connection to the other insanity it was just odd.

I understand and I do agree that it's a good base for some kind of classroom makeover story (in fact I did like how Lincoln tried to improve things a little at the end of this episode, it fits well with the message about fitting in), but I still think it was more exaggerated than it needed to. At least they gave a logical reason with this very busy principal and this teacher who seems to burst at the drop of a hat, but still, I think the balance between relatable and cartoonish was clumsy.
    Yeah, I agree that it could have been pulled off smoother than it did and not been as over the tup blunt and clumsy about it, but as said, perhaps there'll be some makeover stories and changes later on (which I feel was hinted to there at the end with Linc speaking up to the teacher about the heat. Also maybe open some windows in the future? Why were they all boarded up, lol?).

Yeah I guess I was a bit harsh about that. After all she has a dummy mannequin as a friend. I guess it was because the writers seem to rely less and less on her stupidity (which I appreciate, even though that's part of her charm of course, I like that they wanted to focus more on her light-hearted nature) and that caught me off-guard a little. Still, I don't think this plot goes further than making us witnessing a teenager acting like a baby in preschool. Which wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned. Also, isn't it a bit strange that she doesn't know what she should wear when Lori can't tell her what to wear while she's an aspiring fashion designer?
    There has been a bit of an inconsistency witg the writing for Leni, I've felt. At the beginning she was pretty much as silly and dumb as we see her here, then later on they had her get a job at the clothing store (Reiniger's) and had her get more competent and show more intelligence, then they bounce back stuff like her being all childishly stupid despite nearly being an adult, which makes it jarring. I felt that introducing the store job plot was a little odd for Leni, which while it works made her a little too smart compared to before sometimes & it feels a bit jarring when there's episodes like this in this episode.

Also, I really don't think this plot needed to be more than what it was. Just a silly little side thing played for humor with Leni acting like a child and keeping the toddlers company. Though, I was glad that they revealed that the daycare teachers acknowledged they thought she was a volunteer, which avoided making them dumb for not noticing a 16 year old among the small kids (and maybe not seeng the difference). I will say that with this plot, I sort of hope there'll be a story with her volunteering there for real (I really think she'd be great with kids. Maybe it'd be an interesting place for her to work?).

Oh, and yes, it is a bit strange that she needs Lori this badly to choose between outfits. I'd have understood if it was early in the series but now it does look odd.

Yes, I witnessed The Casagrandes liking to turn up the cartoonishness as of recently (don't know if you watched the episode Guess Who's Shopping for Dinner), which is kind of a part of its own charm, that makes it standing out a little to the main show despite having the same good ol' formula for the most part (I guess having a staff a bit different from The Loud House one contributes a bit), but I do prefer when they keep it down to earth as much as possible (without necessarily giving up cartoon humor) too. Bottom line, I agree that it was decent but still kind of a disappointment of an episode.
    I did see 'Guess Who's Shopping' and 'New Roomie' episodes recently and I certainly saw a small increase in the cartoonishness here and there. I don't generally have a problem with it as, like you say, it is part of the charm of it being a little more over the top than The Loud House, but sometimes they go a little too far with it and it gets a little too silly for its own good (and sometimes it gets really convenient and ridiculous, such as the ending of 'Shopping'). Just a nitpick in my opinion, since I guess at least some loves the silliness, even if I prefer it keeps it more level-headed.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-18-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Thread Information