Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, I can understand why some people are mixed about this one but it is way too overhated IMO too. Nothing to compare with the abysmal The Green House which is terrible all the way through.

Well, let's talk about the last couple of episodes. Both of them were very solid Valentine's Day episodes, that's for sure.

While it isn't one of the best Lynn episodes, Singled Out is quite good. I enjoy how they handled such a plot with Lynn wanting a date just to fit in when all of her teammates have their own date, the way it is handled felt completely on character for Lynn. It's straightforward but efficient regardless, and still shows how Lynn is a much more complex character over the seasons, good way to deepen a character which is always something I enjoy. While it's not the most entertaining episode as some parts can drag out a bit, it remains an enjoyable one all the way through, well executed and coherent with the characters. Lynn having no idea how to handle a date is quite funny to watch and it doesn't feel like it crossed the line in my opinion, I can see someone like her acting the way she does since she has no idea how to act and clearly knows that she's not ready for something like a date, and that such a thing isn't for her right now. Dexter is quite funny too, not the most memorable character but I believe he wasn't intended to be, and I enjoy his "bonding" with Lynn and how both of them remain in good terms at the end even though Lynn kind of manipulated him to look like she does have a date, since Dexter also agreed to be her "date" for the same reasons. Which leads to a moral that I find audacious for a Valentine's Day episode (also audacious to poke fun at how some lovers act ridiculously cheesy) but also wise and important, kind of heartfelt too. I loved how this episode reminds that it's more important to decide if you want a lover or not (and if you want, to find someone that you truly have feelings for) instead of finding one only because everyone else did. It's a lesson that I find very nice, especially as a single myself. Some funny parts here and there too (like the man disguised as a cow at Dairyland being very nosy) and you have a nice episode.

Brave the Last Dance has probably got to be the best Clyde episode since Baby Steps. Not only I appreciate how this episode, just by existing, confirms that the writers definitely gave up on Clyde's weird obsession towards Lori (which actually makes one of the most interesting ideas of Change of Heart pointless, with Lori having self-esteem problems, would have been nice to make some kind of follow up with Lori learning that keeping Clyde's obsession towards her can't be a good way to feel better about herself... but I digress, don't I ?), but it's a very heartfelt one and once again kind of audacious for a Valentine's Day episode. I really like the way they handled the trope about someone being "friendzoned", in a pretty mature way. Clyde's attempts to see if the girls he has a crush for feels the same way are in general funny (one visual joke that is so simple it was absolutely hilarious to me, Rusty spying on Emma with binoculars while he's at like three meters from her), I liked his friends' tests to see if Emma loves Clyde too (I guess Stella is as good at divination as Abuela Rosa is; also, between this and her fixed music box in Tails of Woe, I want an episode about her grandmother) and when it comes to the "friendzone" plot turn, it's very well handled to me, it adds some nice drama and isn't resolved as easily as it could have been. Clyde's despair feels natural and touching (it's a detail but I like how his friends keep sending him messages about wanting him to go to the dance with them and to cheer up) and it has a nice resolution with Clyde bumping into another girl, Chloe, and asking her to the dance considering the chemistry that seemed to be born between them. And it's very mature and nice from the writer to remind that just because someone "friendzoned" you doesn't mean that you can't be in good terms with him anymore; really liked the little final moment between him and Emma. Very sweet episode.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

@Wile E. the Brain, I agree about the additional things you said about the two episodes. A good duo overall.

Regarding 'The Green House '(which just sucks), I gotta add that to me it mainly fails on the same grounds as 'Brawl In The Family': It doesn't make any sense. As much as it makes no sense and is completely ridiculous for Lincoln to be completely unaware of the "Sister Fight Protocol" or whatever, it makes no sense that the school wouldn't take into account that Lincoln has a huge family of 10 siblings and keeping the eco footprint down for him would be impossible as opposed to his classmates whom I all assume have smaller families with three or a couple to zero siblings. It being really cruel and unfair to Lincoln, him being a hypocrite one he's in the "green" & the story ending on an anticlimactic downer were just "bonuses".

@CousinMerl, agree on that too. I believe absolutely all of the characters were at their stupidest in this episode and it always bugged me that Lincoln was rejected by his classmates and even his freaking teacher even at the beginning while they have to know that he has a large, consuming family, and he's the only one to take the blame even before acting like a hypocrite. Really, this episode was mean just for the sake of it, all bets are off in this one.

Liliana Mumy has just shared what looks like the logo for the upcoming movie.

With the logo being a castle instead of the usual orange house, that opens quite a number of possibilities. Wonder if it is the final logo. It kinda makes me sad that it will "just" be a Netflix movie instead of having a theatrical release but I can understand why.

The image you posted appears as broken to me, but I did see it on another site a few minutes before you posted & I can access it via the direct link by left clicking the image and looking up the image address.

The Logo is interesting, that with the castle instead of the house (which brings my thoughts to the possibility of it being an travel story, maybe a vacation to England or Europe where they have many castles?). While it's still a Netflix movie, I hope it will at least get a limited theatrical release, as has happened with some Netflix movies previously.

Write or Wrong & Purrfect Gig are currently scheduled for the 27th & 29th respectively, let's hope these airdates actually stick this time. Additionally, the latter episode will also now feature Sam.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 Exquisite Corpses: TBD

@John95, Sam being in 'A Purrfect Gig' isn't really news, as it was said earlier (late January, I think) and we even talked about it a little (last page). I also remember that there was a promo with a clip from it that showed Luna & Sam together (I think I at least saw the screenshot). I guess that's something that happens when episodes suffer from such an delay (and like you I hope they actually stick with these new dates).

On another note, I don't think you posted your thoughts on 'Singled Out' and 'Brave The Last Dance' after they aired in February. What are your opinions on those two?

@CousinMerl, Yeah I only just found out about Sam last week when the Wiki posted pics from that promo.

I thought that those two were good. The latter was easily the best Clyde episode we've gotten in a while and I think it's safe to say that they've pretty much completely given up on his Lori obsession.

Also, I had to double back when first watching Singled Out to make sure that I was right in seeing one of Lynn's friends dating someone of the same gender. While I'm glad we're seeing more same sex couples in non-adult based shows (which usually have them for the sake of cheap shock "Jokes"), it still throws me off a little that they are being accepted now and treated like a normal everyday occurrence. And this from the same network that 5+ years prior wouldn't allow The Legend of Korra to outright confirm that there was one in it's finale.

@John95, the same sex couple among Lynn's friends was actually posted about on Twitter by one in the production crew (I'm sure you can find that post if you want to). I barely thought about this couple as I've gotten so used to same sex relationships on the show, but it's indeed good nice to see some variety and that it's treated as no big deal. The show handles these topics so well and naturally, such as the Luna & Sam relationship (which really stands out as it's being done well).

As for 'The Legend Of Korra', that was badly handled. They could barely hint that there was a love story going on, almost unnoticeably so (when I was watching it as it aired, I thought the showrunners were going for Heterosexual Life-Partners), and then they confirm it in the end  by having the characters suddenly getting together and walk off hand in hand on an vacation (which was badly timed in-universe, I think) . It felt kinda artificial and as if it was thrown in at the last minute. I blame Nickelodeon.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-09-2020 at 04:53 AM.

I'm glad these two episodes finally got what looks like their final airdate. I'm looking forward to both of them, the first one because it's the first Rita episode in a while and it looks like all the siblings will have a big role in it, and the second one for what sounds like a simple, silly yet charming episode (that the haters almost ruined for me before even watching it, I swear to God, sometimes it's really annoying to look at the wikia page of this episode).

I also saw that two other episodes were announced and that they're scheduled for April in UK :

Sister Act (27/04)
    To get out of doing things they don't like, Lana and Lola secretly switch places and pretend to be each other.
    Don't You Fore-get About Me (28/04)
    Hit by the realization that her big sister will be going off to college soon, Leni tries to thwart Lori's plans.
    I really like this kind of episodes where characters impersonate someone they know (Cover Girls isn't one of my favorite episodes for nothing), it was a matter of time before seeing the twins switching their places. This one sounds like a fun episode and I believe I said that one day but I do think these two are at their best when they're together.

And the second one... well, I definitely hoped an episode like that, an episode about Leni having to handle the fact Lori is going to college. In my headcanon I tried to imagine an episode where Lori initiate Leni to how to handle the role of the oldest sibling in the house. But seeing someone like the sweet Leni trying to stop Lori's plan to go to college should be something interesting to see, if well-written enough to make her looking more scared to face the idea of being separated of her big sis than selfish. This has the potential to be a powerful episode and I'm definitely hyped for this one.

Both 'Sister Act' and 'Don't You Fore-get About Me' sound potentially really good. I'm surprised that the former plot hasn't been done yet but nice to see we got it eventually (and the twins together usually makes for great episodes) & the latter sounds very interesting (not only as build-up to the possibility of Lori leaving home next season and Leni not being ready to be the oldest sibling and by so the "responsible one") though I hope that Leni won't come off as unsympathetic by going too far to ruin things for Lori.

As for 'Write Or Wrong' & 'Purrfect Gig', both sound good to me (unless I already gave my pre-airing opinion on them already). The first one I'm the most interested in as I've liked the Rita episodes so far ('The Write Stuff' is one of my favorites) and the plot sounds nice & the latter seems like a simple, fun one like you say @Wile E. the Brain (so that one is seriously getting hate on the wiki? I'm honestly not surprised as how often they overreact negatively to episodes and characters there).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-14-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    so that one is seriously getting hate on the wiki?
    Yep. From people who think Luna is overrated and isn't anything special, who think she's overrated simply because she's bisexual (thus why I said earlier that I felt she was overhated), and therefore who think the Saluna couple is beloved only for this reason, and finally, those who think it's "pushing an agenda" because there's gonna be four LGBT characters in the same episode (and I think it's missing the point of the show which never has made any big deal regarding the sexuality of their characters, and knows that these characters aren't just defined by it; we really like characters like Clyde's dads not because they're just a gay couple but because they have actual personality, because they're fun and endearing).

It became ridiculously nitpicky when I saw people complaining about a promo pic with Luna and Sam taking selfies, because it's "out of character" and Luna isn't such a "selfie girl". I'm not a selfie guy myself but I can take one once in a while with people I love.

Another couple of episodes have been announced, both for the UK (the US certainly is lagging behind with the airings):

Tough Cookies (4/29)
    Lincoln and Clyde start their own cookie-making business, but find that it's a lot more work than they realized.
    House Flip (4/30)
    After causing Flip to get hurt, the kids sneak him into the attic to care for him without Mom and Dad knowing.
    Both seem pretty decent. The first one could be a nice Lincoln & Clyde episode, though the second one sound more interesting to me.

Well, Write or Wrong and Purrfect Gig were both good. Took too long for them to air, but I'm glad that they finally did after two months since their initial planned releases.

Also, the latter episode featured Sam's brother Simon who's been previously mentioned in a book and is voiced by Asher Bishop, who has been confirmed to be Tex Hammond's successor as Lincoln.

Also saw them, gonna make a little review when they'll air in US. I also found that funny that Lincoln's next voice actor is doing Simon's voice as well. Imagine if this little guy come back in the future.

I haven't seen 'Write Or Wrong' and 'Purrfect Gig' yet, despite the early releases in the UK, but will get to it soon so expect my thoughts on them then. I'm not surprised that both of them are good ones.

(Oh, and I do like your new avatar of Luna and Sam, @John95. Cute with the former kissing the latter on the cheek. I guess that is from the new episode).

I watched the two latest episodes today and, well, this was another solid couple, much like the previous ones. Great stuff overall. Gonna write down my thoughts and try to not make it too long winded. Unmarked spoilers as usual.

'Write And Wrong' was ood. I've always liked the Rita-centric episodes and this was maybe being her best (I liked how they brought back her big interest in writing). Nice plot about her wanting the column writing job in the newspaper but having to make the family look perfect to the chief editor as it's a "perfect parenting" column. The story felt like 'Picture Perfect' with dashes of 'Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield' but it made itself separate from those. Some good moments (such as the mother-praising song. Anyone else noticed the reference to 'Tripped!'?) and jokes (I liked the recurring one of both Rita and later the kids pretending to be the sister and the kids of Flip respectively as a cover. I kind of hope that will be a recurring gagin the show when someone wants to avoid being identified).

I likedall the scenes with Rita denying it's her kids and trying her best to cover them up (and I liked how there wasn't any forced conflict with them noticing it and trying to get back at her or something). The truth getting out and Rita coming clean as an imperfect mom was a good ending & even if the editor's coworkers supporting Rita as they too have kids and know that parenting is hard (which makes her get rehired to write authentic stuff) was very convenient it was still an good one with a nice end bit (and I liked the bit about the editor not even having any kids, which I found amusing as she's the editor of a parenting column and has no experience with kids). Good episode with a good heart.

'Purrfect Gig' was also really quite good. Simple story about Luna signing up to be cat-sitters for the McBride family (as they are away for the evening) so that she can get some cash for tickets to the new Mick Swagger concert for both her and Sam but it turning out problematic since the cats are a handful and needing to follow a thick guidebook by the McBrides. It came together well with some nice moments of humor and some cute moments once she gets Sam involved to help Luna cat-sit (loved how she had a good hand with cats & them singing a good night song to the kitties twice were great moments). I really like them as a pair and they are fun to see doing something. I also liked Luna arguing with her mind, which takes the form of an imaginary Mick Swagger in an thought bubble (it's been a while we saw him).

I really liked how Sam had to bring her little brother Simon with her (hadn't read that comic where he appeared so he's new to me) and he was likeable (It would have been easy to have him be a pain but nope, he was a good kid who didn't bother the girls, instead playing the VR game). Luna's troubles with the cats was fun & andher having to get Simon out of the house before the McBrides sees him was fun. Nice ending with the truth getting out (also in this one) and the two parties coming to an agreement (as Sam was helpful during the cat-sitting); the cheek kiss on Sam by Luna was adorable. Also fun end with everyone falling asleep to the girls' singing to the cats again. Very nice.

So yeah, two more very likeable episode of good quality. Great to see the show back after an almost too long hiatus and it's a big plus it came back with such a bang. Hoping the upcoming ones will be as good or close to as good.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-30-2020 at 11:13 PM.

@CousinMerl, good write up on these episodes, and for the most part, I do agree with what you said. Now let's see if I can add something, and let's talk about those episodes "only" two months and a half after their initial schedule.

Write and Wrong was a good Rita episode, twas nice to see one for the first time in forever, but all things considered, I think it's more at Rita Her Rights level than at The Write Stuff level. But I liked the plot for the most part, and I can understand Rita for what she does in this episode. I have a complain though because this is the kind of episode that kinda needs to make the siblings' chaotic behavior as exaggerated as possible, basically up to eleven, no pun intended. Also, what frustrated me was the siblings only agreeing to help their mother because she promised them a lunch at Jean Juan's and not just because they want their mother to have a job she really wants to have. You can argue that her demand that the kids have to be perfect doesn't have to be to begin with (as no one should ask someone to remove everything that makes his personality) but still, it bugged me; it's not like they straightly said this isn't what she should do. But at least the episode was pretty entertaining and has its moments like the song (yes I did catch that reference; also that could be one to The Write Stuff as well since she flies a plane in this episode as well), and as exaggerated as the kids were in this episode, I still liked seeing them having so much interaction and playing together like at Jean Juan's where they play Duck, Duck, Goose (including Lisa and Lucy of all people). The final situations were very contrived but I liked how Rita was allowed to keep her job thanks to the editor's coworkers that can understand how hard parenting can be (and like you said I found the fact the editor doesn't have any kids clever and hilarious). But I think they tried to pull out something like Lincoln saying that he loves the chaos he lives in in Project Loud House but with Rita this time, and there could have been a better way to handle that. Despite the complaints I have, it's still a good episode.

Purrfect Gig was very good. And I'm glad it answered the minor questions I had by looking at the plot and the news we got about it, like why Luna is cat-sitting for the McBrides instead of any other sibling and why Sam is involved into the plot. So I liked this simple plot and I liked why Luna decided to cat-sit for Cleopawtra and Nepurrtiti, by wanting a VIP pass to attend last Mick Swagger concert with Sam. The first half is filled with simple yet good slapstick and has funny moments like when Luna tries to make the cats taking a bath. The second half is well handled as well, the way Sam is involved is good (she definitely has a thing with animals, between these cats and the animals in Liam's farm) and it was nice to discover her little brother Simon (he was mentioned in one of the comics but never physically appeared prior to this episode, and I bet that his design took many fans off-guard), and like you said it was nice to put him into the plot without making him bothering the girls and the cats for the sake of the plot. Though maybe the part where Luna tries to hide him from the McBrides felt a bit contrived but it wasn't bad either and still has some good comedy (Harold and Howard acting identically when they thought the other said something was really funny to me). I definitely like seeing Sam being more dimensional as time goes by and the fact they invoke her in comedic situations like trying to sneak her brother out of the McBride house (and not sparing her from some slapstick like when she moves hidden in a bush and hits her head). The episode is also filled with sweet moments, the lullaby is absolutely cute (Futterman and Stoner have really beautiful voices, haven't they ?), and the ending is adorable and satisfying. I bet the kiss on the cheek was intended to those who still doubted about the fact they're a couple, aha. Also yeah, Luna seems to have the habit to talk to an imaginary Mick Swagger. Very nice all around.

So yeah, this is a good duo. I also saw the bunch of episodes that aired this week in UK (Sister Act, Don't You Fore-get About Me, Tough Cookies and House Flip), and I'm pretty curious to see what you guys would think of these episodes because of how much this bunch is... interesting, to say the least.

Also, CousinMerl, I believe you said you've seen complaints about the show going downhill a couple of months ago and I said that I have on the contrary seen a lot of people saying it's getting better than the first seasons, but now I did have see quite a few people saying this season isn't really good. While I disagree about the fact it's a bad season, so far I would agree it's... kinda experimental in some ways. But we'll have to wait that the season is complete to have a final opinion about it.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 04-30-2020 at 04:53 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain

I have a complain though because this is the kind of episode that kinda needs to make the siblings' chaotic behavior as exaggerated as possible, basically up to eleven, no pun intended. Also, what frustrated me was the siblings only agreeing to help their mother because she promised them a lunch at Jean Juan's and not just because they want their mother to have a job she really wants to have. You can argue that her demand that the kids have to be perfect doesn't have to be to begin with (as no one should ask someone to remove everything that makes his personality) but still, it bugged me; it's not like they straightly said this isn't what she should do.
    I also thought of the siblings' extremely unruly behavior (which was very convenient for the plot), but really, this wasn't the first time they have been exaggerated like this (felt like this happened a lot of the time in Season 1) so I really wasn't bothered by it. Though, I did find it odd how only the promise of a visit to the restaurant would get them on board to pretend to being perfect and they didn't criticize her way of doing it in some way (I was briefly wondering if they would demand more and/or try to make it hard for Rita to look good as a form of protest that she's trying to change whom they are for essentially an theater act).

It did feel kinda easy, but for whatever reason the exaggeration and the easy way she "tamed" the kids without any resistance with one simple promise didn't really bother me much at all, maybe as we've seen things like this on the show before (and by the way, it is true what she did say that some days are great and some are more than she can handle, as we've seen before with how on/off the kids can be, which makes me guess this was one of those latter times where they were all over the place as a full unit of insanity and extremely Loud, with the lack for better words).

The final situations were very contrived but I liked how Rita was allowed to keep her job thanks to the editor's coworkers that can understand how hard parenting can be (and like you said I found the fact the editor doesn't have any kids clever and hilarious). But I think they tried to pull out something like Lincoln saying that he loves the chaos he lives in in Project Loud House but with Rita this time, and there could have been a better way to handle that. Despite the complaints I have, it's still a good episode.
    I'm sure they could have had a better way to solve the problem than for Rita to do that speech and getting support from the editor's companions, like for the kids to step in an say some kind and helpful words, but it was a decent ending and I appreciate how this was solved between the adults without the kids having to say anything. It was Rita's problem (she had dragged them into her ploy and tried to make them look perfect).

Overall, It really felt like her version of 'Picture Perfect' like I said, but it was a good one, though 'The Write Stuff' (about which I did forget she drove a plan in that one as well) is still my favorite Rita episode. Also, I do agree that it this one at the same level as 'Rita Her Rights' (I think due to exaggerated nature and all that).

I believe you said you've seen complaints about the show going downhill a couple of months ago and I said that I have on the contrary seen a lot of people saying it's getting better than the first seasons, but now I did have see quite a few people saying this season isn't really good. While I disagree about the fact it's a bad season, so far I would agree it's... kinda experimental in some ways. But we'll have to wait that the season is complete to have a final opinion about it.
    I've seen both sides, but I'm firmly on the side that believe the show is still good, if not better now than it was before overall. Feels too early to give my thoughts on the season but I can say that I do like so far despite some hiccups. In what ways do they say it's not really good and experimental? (I don't think it's much more experimental than season 3, to be honest).

(Also, may I add that I do like that Sid Chang avatar you currently have now? Probably my favorite The Casagrandes character whom I wish would show up on The Loud House. I have actually been thinking of changing mine to one with her as well for a time, but I'll save that for later now).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-30-2020 at 11:51 PM.

@CousinMerl,

I also thought of the siblings' extremely unruly behavior (which was very convenient for the plot), but really, this wasn't the first time they have been exaggerated like this (felt like this happened a lot of the time in Season 1) so I really wasn't bothered by it.
    You've got a point right there, maybe it was the fact it looks like their behavior came straight from season 1 and the fact we're in season 4 and we've gone so much through regarding character development and everything, that it looked so much convenient to me (still, I'm not saying their usual unruly behavior isn't still charming in its own way).

It did feel kinda easy, but for whatever reason the exaggeration and the easy way she "tamed" the kids without any resistance with one simple promise didn't really bother me much at all, maybe as we've seen things like this on the show before
    I understand but I think it was the presentation that bugged me, the fact it was about Rita wanting a new job and it would've been nice from her kids to try without involving a bribe, or just making them saying that it's not a good idea, not even a good thing, to make them looking so ridiculously perfect (because it wasn't). The way the siblings refused just looked a bit like "we can't and we won't try" to me, but maybe it is just me (and that doesn't mean I found them unlikeable in this episode, don't get me wrong).

(and by the way, it is true what she did say that some days are great and some are more than she can handle, as we've seen before with how on/off the kids can be, which makes me guess this was one of those latter times where they were all over the place as a full unit of insanity and extremely Loud, with the lack for better words).
    I really liked Rita's speech about that, yeah. It's a relatable message and that makes Rita an even more sympathetic and strong character to me (and yeah it's better that it was solved without the kids because it was up to Rita to learn something; though, maybe some additional seconds seconds where the kids recognize how overly unruly they can be sometimes would've made this ending even better).

I've seen both sides, but I'm firmly on the side that believe the show is still good, if not better now than it was before overall. Feels too early to give my thoughts on the season but I can say that I do like so far despite some hiccups. In what ways do they say it's not really good and experimental? (I don't think it's much more experimental than season 3, to be honest).
    No, the "experimental" observation about this season came from me, aha. It's a strange opinion but I do feel like this season tries more to be like a blend between the three previous and not without adding its own things. There's some kind of balance between wacky episodes and episodes about a heavy and mature subject, some episodes that look more like the earlier ones and others that try new things with the humor, and also, the fact this season prepares us for some major changes that will come with the next one, as well as it prepared us for the Casagrandes spin-off. This season is quite something if you ask me. And I do like this season too, but I can't deny it has its hit or miss moments. I don't really know why some people think the show goes downhill with this season, but I guess it's because the formula is often the same episode after episode, and because I've seen a number of complaints (that aren't mine) about the show apparently making jerks out of the siblings (well it happened in Kings of the Con but I wouldn't say it's always like that) and apparently disliking Lincoln to the point of making him a stupid character who acts selfish and gets punished all the time.

(Also, may I add that I do like that Sid Chang avatar you currently have now? Probably my favorite The Casagrandes character whom I wish would show up on The Loud House. I have actually been thinking of changing mine to one with her as well for a time, but I'll save that for later now).
    You may, aha. I really do like her as well, such a lovable, energetic and funny girl who's a big reason I thank the spin-off to exist (I wish she meets the Loud sisters someday, since she already met Lincoln in The Horror-scope). This avatar comes from one of the latter episodes, Fast Feud (and I really have to find a moment to talk about the episodes I haven't talked about yet, I saw you mentioned me on the thread, sorry for not having answered yet). Don't know if I said that before but I like your Amity avatar a lot, too.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 05-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.

@Wile E. the Brain

You've got a point right there, maybe it was the fact it looks like their behavior came straight from season 1 and the fact we're in season 4 and we've gone so much through regarding character development and everything, that it looked so much convenient to me (still, I'm not saying their usual unruly behavior isn't still charming in its own way).
    Yeah, in some of these new episodes (both this season and the last) the characters seem to revert to earlier characterizations and it was convenient here, but it is charming to see these season 1-like episodes and it doesn't bother me that much.

I think it was the presentation that bugged me, the fact it was about Rita wanting a new job and it would've been nice from her kids to try without involving a bribe, or just making them saying that it's not a good idea, not even a good thing, to make them looking so ridiculously perfect (because it wasn't). The way the siblings refused just looked a bit like "we can't and we won't try" to me, but maybe it is just me (and that doesn't mean I found them unlikeable in this episode, don't get me wrong).
    You've got a few points there, even if I never thought about those a lot while watching. It would've certainly worked if they did try without her having to coerce them with the bribe or saying she should find a better way than pretending they are some perfect 1950's core family right down to the outfits (and them outright shooting her down with their "Nah, we can't possibly do this. Hard pass." and refusing to try was silly) but to me it still worked fine and they got some good jokes and amusing scenes out of the road the story took. I still do understand your gripes and nitpicks, btw.

No, the "experimental" observation about this season came from me, aha. It's a strange opinion but I do feel like this season tries more to be like a blend between the three previous and not without adding its own things. There's some kind of balance between wacky episodes and episodes about a heavy and mature subject, some episodes that look more like the earlier ones and others that try new things with the humor, and also, the fact this season prepares us for some major changes that will come with the next one, as well as it prepared us for the Casagrandes spin-off. This season is quite something if you ask me. And I do like this season too, but I can't deny it has its hit or miss moments.
    Oh, when you put it like that I do agree that this fourth season is, in a way, kinda experimental and like a combination of the past three, having a mix of episodes and styles (both goofier and sillier as well as more down to earth and a bit more serious). It's not perfect as I said (due to those episodes that doesn't quite come together, such as 'Kings Of The Con') but for the most part it's been a good one so far with a lot of great episodes.

I don't really know why some people think the show goes downhill with this season, but I guess it's because the formula is often the same episode after episode, and because I've seen a number of complaints (that aren't mine) about the show apparently making jerks out of the siblings (well it happened in Kings of the Con but I wouldn't say it's always like that) and apparently disliking Lincoln to the point of making him a stupid character who acts selfish and gets punished all the time.
    There is probably a number of reasons why some think it's getting worse. One might be that the show is not the "it" thing anymore is one thing, then there's by the reliance of some certain story formulas that can get repeated (like you say) and the way the show has strayed from the original concept (one boy, ten girls) more often might be offputting to some, as there being a lack of the simpler stories from the early seasons and more of the message/lesson stories (as I said on the last page when we discussed the complains by fans).

As for the complaints about the siblings being jerks and Lincoln being like a dumb, silly punching bag has been a complaint since the first season so I'd say it's nothing new. I think a lot of these complaints are exaggerated, especially now compared to back then when they would have been much more understandable (as I do think the characters have evolved and been developed a lot since then).

You may, aha. I really do like her as well, such a lovable, energetic and funny girl who's a big reason I thank the spin-off to exist (I wish she meets the Loud sisters someday, since she already met Lincoln in The Horror-scope). This avatar comes from one of the latter episodes, Fast Feud (and I really have to find a moment to talk about the episodes I haven't talked about yet, I saw you mentioned me on the thread, sorry for not having answered yet). Don't know if I said that before but I like your Amity avatar a lot, too.
    Sid is so great, haha (I love her weirdness and liking things that some would see as gross. What an oddball). I did watch that episode ('Fast Feud') so I recognize the image and was thinking of posting my thoughts in the other thread tomorrow, though I'll wait until I've seen its partner episode ('The Never Friending Story') so I can give my opinion on that too. I'm hoping to see your throughts on the previous episodes at some point.

Oh, and thanks for the word on my avatar as well, which I've actually been thinking of changing (I'm debating whether it should be a new Owl House one or an Loud House/Casagrandes one).

@Wile E. the Brain, I didn't interpret it the way that you denied what I said so no worries about that. I'm not sure that she was hired by the 'DC Super Hero Girls' crew due to her directing credit here, but rather more due to her storyboarding work (though it is possible; would certainly like to find out). I haven't really thought a lot about how several of the storyboarders have transitioned to co-directors before but you're right; also, I think most of them have done a pretty good job, more or less.

Speaking of the directing credits, I do have noticed how prevalent Savino has been as an director during the first couple of years of the show, having directed nearly all of the episodes. I guess he really liked to be in control by helming so many episodes. Good to see the variation of directors now that he's gone and cannot hold such an big influence anymore (I think it was wrong of him to direct that huge amount of episode instead of letting others in the production crew get the chance as there are many talented directors among them).
    I don't think Savino directing a lot of the earlier episodes is anything out of the ordinary. He created the show, and he had a lot of animation experience so I think it was easier for him to be in control of everything because some of the people he was working with might not have had his experience. I think Savino is just one of those hands-on creators.

Also, I know there's a difference between live-action and animation, but a lot of sitcoms tend to use the same director or directors for every episode. It's probably a lot easier to leave it in the hands of people you trust and know can make sure the process is done smoothly. After Savino left, I'm assuming everyone on staff had to start pulling more weight because of all the work that needed to be done.

@Dr. Nihilistic, those are good points, though I actually started to think it was pretty understandable he had that influence and directed that many episodes overall after I made that post (which was a while back now). I know that some shows do have their creators heavily involved, not only with the directing but also with the writing and with animated shows voice acting too (such as Alex Hirsch on 'Gravity Falls', where he voiced like four major characters), and this being a comedy series his very hands-on approach was sorta natural in hindsight.

Still, I think he could have made it more of a team effort and let the other talents shine alongsides him, splitting the directing job up a little bit more, though now after his departure we got to that teamwork style and it has turned out well, often with more variety and more diversity to the directing and the stories (for instance, many of his episodes had Lincoln play a major role if not being the lead, but less so afterwards, with one or more of the Loud sisters often taking the forefront and Lincoln sometimes getting very minor roles or being absent).

It's interesting to compare these shows where most of the episodes if not all of them are directed by one hands-on creator and those who have a rotating pool of directors. Like @Dr. Nihilistic said, those with a single director aren't that out of the ordinary, and they didn't always end up being bad. Courage the Cowardly Dog for example has all of its episode directed by John R. Dilworth and it's an amazing show all throughout. But yeah, it's interesting to see what it led to with a show like The Loud House that started off with the "one boy, ten girls" logic (though I believe they already decided to let the characters other than Lincoln having more opportunities to be in the limelight under Savino's era with season 2, even if they were trying to find there groove about it - coincidentally, it's with season 2 that we started to have a progressive rotating pool of directors).

@Wile E. the Brain, really liked that you used 'Courage' as an example. That was such a good show and I do miss it (strange how it never got revived in some way). I was never that of a big Cartoon Network guy back during "classic CN" but that one was great and maybe my favorite; so delightfully weird and off-kilter.

Also, granted, The Loud House' was changing direction a bit with the second season and afterward they really started to rotate things more and more, even more so apparent now that Savino is not there anymore and the workload of writing & directing is split up even more among the crew and more of a diversity with characters and developments is going on (which I am sure would have happened with Savino, but not sure if it would have been done as broadly. Impossibly to know, but just a feeling).

Third, just to clarify to you and @Dr. Nihilistic, I did not mean that Savino directing so many was in any form a bad thing (as many shows have had the creator or co-creator direct most if not all the episodes as said), just that I liked the fact that the "rotating pool" got even more active and more of the talented writers and directors in the crew got a chance to shine when he left.

A couple more episodes that were announced:

Feast Or Family (5/16)
    When Luan must enroll in a culinary class, Dad uses it to share his passion for cooking with one of his kids.
    A Dark And Story Night (5/16)
    When the lights go out in the Loud House, the kids entertain themselves by taking turns telling parts of a story.
    I like the sound of these, especially the second one.

@Wile E. the Brain, really liked that you used 'Courage' as an example. That was such a good show and I do miss it (strange how it never got revived in some way). I was never that of a big Cartoon Network guy back during "classic CN" but that one was great and maybe my favorite; so delightfully weird and off-kilter.
    Indeed a great cartoon. A personal recent discovery (I mean, I acknowledge its existence since a long time but I never watched it until recently) and I loved it. I heard that a prequel was in development, with even Dilworth himself working on it, but not sure if it's still a thing.

I really like the idea of a story episode with each of the siblings adding his own part into it, it could led it to a very creative episode and a nice change of pace. Feast and Family also has potential, considering how close Lynn Sr. and Luan are to each other.

I've got the same thoughts about 'A Dark And Story Night' like you @Wile E. the Brain, especially in regards to the possible creativity that comes with it. Will add that I know that four new episodes have already aired ('Sister Act', 'House Flip', 'Don't You Fore-Get About Me' & 'Tough Cookies') so once I've seen all of these six I'll give my thoughts in one post.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...MM7LfLZ7leeioY

Well, Geriantics (which I rewatched almost a month ago no less) sure has a different context now...

EDIT: Just realized this was also the last episode to air in Fred Willard's lifetime where Pop-Pop spoke.

RIP

With his advanced age I guess it was bound to happen (though thankfully not due to to COVID-19).

I must admit that I don't really know him from other roles, but he was great as Pop-Pop (a role not listed in the article) and 'Geri-Antics' was a solid last outing for him in retrospect. I also see on Wikipedia he had a speaking role in only 7 episodes (It felt like more than that, but I guess that can be attested to him really making a mark on the show). I wonder if they will retire the character and/or relegate him to a non-speaking role or recast.

On another note, I read 'A Dark And Story Night' will be the final episode written by Sammie Crowley before she leaves the show and Nickelodeon, which is sad as well. Wishing her good luck in the future.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information