Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, yeah I don't know what makes someone thinking she's getting Flanderized neither. And I agree with you about Maria and the fact they tried to put her a little more in the jokes despite her sober aspect (like they also did in City Slickers when she plays video games with Frida; I didn't expect it at all the first time). I hope she'll have her own episode one day because she has a lot of potential, both comic and heartwarming.

I'll talk about the new bunch likely tomorrow but before I do that, I have good news. The first draft of The Loud House Movie has been done yesterday !

So the movie is written by Kevin Sullivan. Good to know, he has experience into the show and a solid resume overall, despite being a little unequal since the beginning of the series (he did L is for Love, No Laughing Matter, Racing Hearts, Stage Plight and co-wrote Really Loud Music; he also did Brawl in the Family and One of the Boys, and to a lesser extent Absent Minded; but none of the show's writers has a perfect resume and Sullivan still has a good one). And what he says about his plot looks promising, I like the fact he talk about a "crazy" story, maybe that means something really big. I look forward for more details.

Also, Jordan Rosato is the head of story along with Claire Morrissey.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 06-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

@Wile E. the Brain, I also hope they'll do a Maria episode or two in the near future and I also look forward to some episodes focusing on individual Casagrandes, but that's of course a thing for their own upcoming show. I'm satisfied wit Ronnie leading these episodes on The Loud House. As for the new episodes I'll post my thought on the new episodes in a day or two when I've watched them.

And those news about the movie sounds good. I kinda expected they would give Kevin Sullivan the main task to write the script, seeing as he is in many ways not only the head writer but also the showrunner (replacing Savino), and even though he's written some pretty shoddy episodes (those two you mentioned are still some of the show's biggest misfires) and has something of a bad rep among a part of the fanbase he's done some good to great stuff as well (which you also pointed out) so I'm not worried it will turn out bad or disappointing.

Either way I think the fans shouldn't have too big of an expectations as, like you say, none of the writers have a perfect resume but I have no doubt that the movie will be good.

In fact, I have not seen this anime like you.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    [MENTION=78686]And those news about the movie sounds good. I kinda expected they would give Kevin Sullivan the main task to write the script, seeing as he is in many ways not only the head writer but also the showrunner (replacing Savino)
    Isn't it Michael Rubiner the showrunner in place of Savino ? Anyway, my bet on the writer of the movie was between him or Karla Sakas Shropshire. I do not worry either, by the way. Like I said, Kevin has a strong experience among the show, he knows how to write the characters, and I'm really curious to see what he has done as the only writer of an entire movie. (I like your current avatar by the way, I guess you really enjoy Lucy since it's your third consecutive avatar with her. Lucy as a basket player is something that, almost alone, makes Future Tense worth a watch.)

So, about last week's bunch, it was a pretty good one overall too. Maybe a bit inferior than the previous one but still filled with good episodes.

Face the Music was my favorite of the bunch. I'm always a sucker for episodes that involves music in its plot, and this one was very good. I liked the idea of Hector wanting for his birthday nothing but a musical performance from each person in the family and Ronnie Anne seeking help from Sid because she wasn't aware (even if I wonder how she wasn't aware when everyone else was). I also really liked how it deepens even more Ronnie Anne's character once again, with her fear of performing in front of a public, because of some child mocking her after an accident during a play (little Ronnie Anne is still one of the cutest things I've ever seen). Sid's plans to help Ronnie Anne are pretty funny, as well as the scenes between Bobby and Sergio (those two will never get perfectly along, I guess). I also laughed out loud at Maria breaking the harp at the end of her performance, it's reminescent of Luna in Driving Ambition but it still cracked me up, probably because I didn't expected something like that coming from Maria. And the ending is a lot heartwarming and offers to us a pretty damn good song (co-written by one of Coco's lyricists, no less) with very nice animation. Very good episode.

Pranks for the Memories, I guess it was the "April fools" episode of season 4, and it was a good one, because it mostly focuses on Ronnie Anne trying to bond with Carlota because they don't interact a lot (even if we've seen the two interact a number of times, recently in Friended! or Power Play when they share some selfies, but oh well). I still like the idea of making an episode about a bond between two characters, and I liked they mixed that up with a more silly concept with all the male Casagrandes children making pranks over Carlota. That's pretty funny to see such a silly war between the two groups, and it doesn't go over the top (until the end with the return of the cat band). And even if it's not the most memorable episode of the week, it has some pretty funny moments, one of my favorite being Carlota's live stream with some people from the show's staff leaving some amusing comments (I always enjoy this kind of joke). The ending is a lot similar to the one from Back in Black and I'm not convinced by the fact Carlota doesn't seem that much bothered by her room being devastated, but still a decent episode.

Store Wars is another decent one, just a bit better than Pranks for the Memories in my opinion. One of its biggest qualities is the fact this time, Bobby is the main focus of the episode, instead of Ronnie Anne, I like the fact they made a change for this one and he's very endearing here. The plot with a big supermarket being a menace for the Casagrandes' mercado (not sure if it's how it's spelled) isn't the most original, but they handled it pretty well. Even if at the end, that was pretty much "all for nothing", it didn't bothered me. I liked seeing all of the Casagrandes doing something for the mercado and I liked seeing some of the minor characters having a moment too (good thing that Vito seems to become a recurring character, I like this guy). It's not the funniest episode but some moments were amusing, especially with the Casagrandes failing to keep their customers at night because they're too tired to work (also the flat "cool" from the delivery boy made me laugh for some reason; I also like Carlo being bitter when he doesn't have his 10 hours of sleep). Pretty good episode.

And last but not least, Lucha Fever which is a very good one. The premise of Ronnie Anne faking being sick to watch a lucha libre is good, I still like when the writers write Ronnie Anne like a child of her age. Especially taking into account she also have a hero just like Carl, and that alone was really nice to see. As we can expect, Rosa is very anxious about Ronnie Anne being "sick", and her overprotective side still makes the job. Not only for the humor (this episode is perhaps the funniest of the week), but also for the emotional moments. This time, this is Rosa that is allowed to be deepen, and they did a damn good job with it; the fact she never missed any big moment from Carlos' career is a lot touching, and Ronnie Anne feeling remorseful because of her fake disease is a nice touch. The ending with Rosa and Ronnie Anne quickly going to Carlos' ceremony thanks to one of Ronnie Anne's idea is silly and hilarious to me (just like the last joke, once again, I didn't expect it and that caught me off guard). Also, I'm not that much into wrestling, but the lucha libre moments are very entertaining, and also creative with the wrestlers' designs, personalities and abilities, and they add something very funny to the episode, which is a strong one.

As for my ranking, I'd say : Face the Music > Lucha Fever > Store Wars > Pranks for the Memories

Now that the Casagrandes arc is over, I'd say it was overall pretty good. This certainly offers a lot of potential for the spin-off, though nothing amazing so far, I have no doubt the writers have some great ideas to come, and I still look forward for it. But right now, I miss the Loud family so much and I can't wait to see them again.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 06-25-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Isn't it Michael Rubiner the showrunner in place of Savino ? Anyway, my bet on the writer of the movie was between him or Karla Sakas Shropshire. I do not worry either, by the way. Like I said, Kevin has a strong experience among the show, he knows how to write the characters, and I'm really curious to see what he has done as the only writer of an entire movie. (I like your current avatar by the way, I guess you really enjoy Lucy since it's your third consecutive avatar with her. Lucy as a basket player is something that, almost alone, makes Future Tense worth a watch.)
    That is true, Michael Rubiner is the showrunner now after Savino (I went and checked on the wiki and he's listed as the executive producer which would make him the showrunner unless I'm forgetting about someone) so I stand corrected, though Kevin Sullivan sort of comes off as a head writer considering how many episodes he has written and seem to have a rather large presence in the crew and sort of feels like he could be the showrunner, but Rubiner it is. Sullivan is indeed a good choice, but as you say Shropshire would have been a good choice as well; she's written many very good episodes, maybe more than him.

And yes, I seem to use a lot of Lucy avatars now and one reason is because one of my favorites, if not my top one at the moment (which I I mentioned earlier). Basketball player Lucy is one of my favorite moments from that episode (and I sort of wish it would've been it's own plot, much like egghead Lynn and office lady Luan from the same episode; the ideas were amusing and could've been expanded).

I've not seen the new episodes yet but will be back in just a little while when I've watched to give my thoughts on them.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-24-2019 at 12:10 PM.

I have watched the new bunch yesterday and it was a pretty good one overall. It was about on par with last week's offering, though maybe a bit funnier in parts; feels like The Casagrandes have gotten their groove going a bit more by now.

'Face The Music' was a really good one. Nice and well paced plot about the family members preparing to perform an individual musical moment infront of Hector on his birthday (what he really wants) and Ronnie Anne starting to worry, having trouble of performing on stage since an first grade play accident. Some fun scenes of her trying get over her stage fright (with Sid's help) and her thinking of buying Hector an new conga drum but overhearing that he doesn't want any gift because it cannot beat a good performance. She joins Bobby's act but isn't able to get any singing out and is comforted by Hector whom she confesses to (and him being understanding since he suffered a suspiciously similar school play incident when he was in first grade). Nice ending with Hector performing with Bobby and everyone joinging in, even Ronnie. Fun episode with some good jokes like Maria's harp moment and Sid taking a shine to Hector's bunion scraper and suddenly going to town with it on her left foot, which made me laugh.

'Pranks For The Memories' was another solid episode. The plot about Carlota being told to babysit Ronnie Anne and the Casagrande boys when the adults all go to an adult-only restaurant for the evening and Ronnie trying to bond with her older relative was in itself a simple premise but I just really it when they do this kind of simpleand contained stories; some nice gags with Ronnie bothering Carlota and the boys predicting their pranks (liked the twist with Bobby having helped the boys). Good stuff with their cat nip prank and the stampeding mass of stray strert cats kicking up trouble, also ruining Carlota's room (love that running gag with those cats; it was hilarious when the mass sprouted a single arm to open up the door). Nice ending with Ronnie admitting she only wanted to prank to bond with Carlota and walking off to hang out some more (I think Carlota not being too upset was because she thought she kinda deserved it). Simple and enjoyable.

'Store Wars' was a nice one too. The plot is pretty basic, being that of a bigger supermarket opening up down the street in the vicinity of the mercado and Bobby deciding to keep up by attempting to outdo their popular competitor with help from Maria, Ronnie Anne and the Casagrandes by spicing of the bodega, but was done well, I like how grounded and realistic it was and it had some good jokes, like that one woman's "babies" being two racoons and Bobby having the whole family work during the night (as the supermarket is open 24/7) until they get too tired and mess everything up (liked the slow, sleepy music as they go about their work like zombies). Bobby deicing to just have the mercado be the friendly, personal neighborhood store as usual felt like a natural ending and they have their regular customers returning (though it's still sort of an unclear ending as eventually they will have to close unless the supermarket gets impopular). Not the strongest episode but still good.

'Lucha Fever' I enjoyed as well. Ronnie Anne faking being sick to stay at home to watch the final championship of the mexican wrestler La Tormenta while the rest of the family goes Carlos' university awards ceremony felt a bit familiar ('Gown And Out' already did it for one thing) but it was still entertaining with Ronnie (and Sid) constantly being bothered by someone who's interrupting the wrestling championship it being because Rosa contacted everyone to check in on Ronnie, eventually coming home herself to take care of her (with Ronnie trying to catch the championship between the sessions). Nice emotional end with Ronnie hearing Rosa apoloizing to Carlos over the phone that she cannot be there and admitting she lied, taking Rosa with her on a skateboard ride to the university, followed by the family getting together to watch the final wrestling match of La Tormenta on Carlos phone, as he's a fan too (and ending very amusingly abruptly). Good episode.

Ranking these I'd say it goes Face The Music > Pranks For The Memories > Lucha Fever > Store Wars. Overall, this Casagrande ard has been good and there was really no mediocre or worse episodes and I think that going into The Casagrandes there will be a lot of good stuff, maybe even better than what we've seen here. Still, I'm looking forward to get back to the Loud family now as it's been way too long and I hope it won't be too big of a break until then (seeing as there's yet any info on the next episodes).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-28-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Well, the reason why I've been silent until now is that I've yet to see Lucha Fever as the site I usually visit doesn't have it yet still and the only version I've been able to find for it elsewhere has it paired with Store Wars and is also horribly out of sync!

But in terms of the ones I've seen but haven't commented on until now, I enjoyed most of the barring Roll Model and Pranks for the Memories. The former I thought was a little dull and repetitive, while the latter I can't describe why I thought it didn't work, other then it didn't even if I understood what they were going for with it.

I'll rank them once (and if) I see Lucha Fever.

So for the most part, I thought these were a good offering of episodes across two weeks, but I'm ready to go back to the actual Louds and like I said previously hopefully this will be the last we see of the Casagrandes until their actual series airs.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: TBD Connie's Celica: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    But in terms of the ones I've seen but haven't commented on until now, I enjoyed most of the barring Roll Model and Pranks for the Memories. The former I thought was a little dull and repetitive, while the latter I can't describe why I thought it didn't work, other then it didn't even if I understood what they were going for with it.
    Maybe your opinion 'Pranks' (which to me was pretty straightforward, though the prank parade section interestingly didn't happen rather late in the episode despite being in the title) was colored by your dislike of the April Fools episodes with Luan? Just a thought. I still think it was one of the standouts, maybe partially for it's simplicity. As for 'Roll Model' it's still probably my favorite from the other week besides 'Power Play'; just found the whole "Carl looking up to Ronnie" plot very fun and endearing.

Speaking of the Louds, I saw a preliminary listing for the next episodes and it looks like July 15th is the date for the first regular episode of the season so not too long until then.

@CousinMerl, Honestly I didn't even make that connection until after @Wile E. the Brain pointed it out. But n hindsight yeah maybe that had something to do with it. Though I would take this over any of the actual April Fools episodes.

Also I just checked the Wiki and the synopsis for the next two episodes are:

Washed Up (7/15)
    The Louds rent a boat for a relaxing day trip on the lake, but the family ends up marooned on a desert island.
    Recipe for Disaster (716)
    Lincoln and Clyde, as Ace and Jack, investigate when they discover a frozen food company using Dad's recipes.

Two other titles are Present Tense and Any Given Sundae, neither of which have synopsis' yet but based on the title the former sounds like a sequel to Future Tense.

Lastly, has anyone else noticed that they haven't acknowledged Clyde's crush on Lori in awhile (or at least it feels that way)? I myself didn't think about this until after seeing it be mentioned on TVTropes how this was another element of the series that aged poorly after Savino's history of sexual harassment was exposed. So the lack of this being mentioned in recent episodes seems to be another way of the series washing their hands of him despite being the creator.

I love the idea of Washed Up but am I the only one who think that could have been a 22 minutes episodes ? I mean, the concept of the Louds being stuck on a desert island seems to be a whole lot of fun itself, so I think they could have come with something longer for that premise, to get something as crazy and funny as Tripped! for example.

@John95, actually, I noticed it. The last time Clyde talked in front of Lori was in Jeers for Fears and he was able to be in the same room than her without going nuts (I assumed it was because he was under fear). I think the last time they acknowledged Clyde's crush on Lori was in Absent Minded, so about a year now. And last thing, I've read the comics Loud and Proud recently, and in the beginning, Clyde talks and acts perfectly normal to Lori, so yeah I guess they've gotten rid of it with time, probably because of the whole Savino problem like you said. In some way, that's too bad they seems to get rid of a lot of elements from Savino's era to wash their hands of him, but on the other hand, I never was a fan of jokes that involves Clyde's crush on Lori, with some exceptions (A Fair to Remember), and it's a good thing they seem to move on about it (something they should've did in Change of Heart), it's an improvement for sure. Or maybe it's just because they don't know how to use it from now on.

Too bad that you didn't enjoyed Roll Model by the way, I thought it was the best of the season so far.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 06-28-2019 at 07:26 AM.

@John95, I too have definitely noticed that there has been a clear lack of moments of Clyde crushing on Lori, though I haven't really thought about it much.

It did seem to be dialed down even before Savino was outed and booted so I'm not sure that had anything to do with it but was more or less coincidental; maybe the writer's thought they were overdoing it with Clyde's creepy moments and decided to make it less extreme, sometimes to the point of just a minor thing that comes up from time to time (by the way, I think it's a huge improvement, especially with how he is able to be in the same room with her and talk to her without getting heavy nosebleeds, getting a blue screen and shutting down like a robot or any dumb stuff like that), but as far as it sort of coinciding it was probably for the best, especially with the show now being past Savino's influences.

Also now that @Wile E. the Brain showed up and posted as I was making this post: I thought that 'Washed Up' would be a full 22 minutes reading the description so if it really is just 11 minutes it feels too short right off the bad; it's sounds like a good and wacky fun premise that deserve to be longer, unless it is (Also, where did you find the 'Loud And Proud' graphic novel? Online read?).

By the way, I'd argue that 'A Fair to Remember' (mentioned in the above post) is probably the best use of Clyde's infatuation of Lori; the way they did it with Clyde being unconsciousyet still had a role to play was pretty funny).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-29-2019 at 02:23 AM.

@CousinMerl, yes, it was online read. And I agree with your point about A Fait to Remember, hence why I mentioned it. Other than this episode, there's some good uses of this joke here and there by the way; in Tricked! for example, when Clyde starts to think about Lori on purpose to have blood.

We have the premises for Present Tense and Any Given Sundea :

Present Tense (7/17)
    Convinced that their scrapbook isn’t good enough for Dad’s birthday, the Loud kids seek out the perfect gift.
    Any Given Sundea (7/18)
    Lily hears the parents mention ice cream if the kids are good, so she uses baby smarts to avert sibling disasters.
    The latter sounds like a really fun episode to me and a good way to give the spotlight to Lily. I like the premise of the former too, even if that sounds right now a little like a rehash of some others episodes that came before; also maybe predictable, we'll see.

'Any Given Sundae' certainly seem to be a really good one; to get another Lily episode is good and this time it seems like it's mainly focusing on her (which, unless I'm forgetting something, would be a first as previously the Lily episodes have been carried by one or more of the older siblings or the parents).

'Present Tense' does sound like stuff we've seen before (I'm thinking episodes likes 'Picture Perfect') but maybe they can put a new spin on this one so that it doesn't come off as too familiar, which they have done before.

It's also starting to feel these should've come next week at least, seeing as it feels like the season hasn't even really started and it's been so long we've seen the family that is the reason we watch the series.

Yeah, the premise for Present Tense reminds me a bit too much of Picture Perfect as well. Would've preferred it being a possible sequel to Future Tense.

That Lily episode sounds interesting though, mainly because I think it'll be the first episode to really be about her whereas all the past episodes where's she played a big part mostly use her as the driving force behind said plot.

@Wile E. the Brain, I was thinking on what you mentioned earlier about Lucy as a basketball player almost makes 'Future Tense' worthwile, what did you mean by that? You don't like that one? I thought it was pretty good and funny but then again it's been a while since I saw it.

@CousinMerl, oh no, actually I think it's a pretty good one too, it's funny and relatable and I like the messages a lot. I just played with the fact that seeing Lucy as a basketball player is something too unexpected and too good to ignore (among other things like Luan as an office lady like you mentioned earlier), that it makes Future Tense worth a watch almost all by itself. Otherwise, I really enjoy this episode. Sorry if my message have been misunderstood.

@Wile E. the Brain, yeah, seems like I misunderstood what you said when I thought about it just now; maybe I understood it right when I read before but went back before I posted and maybe typed a repy too fast.

But yep, really wish they saved some of the activities the kids were forced to undertake in that one for later episodes; lots of unseen and potentially interesting and fun stories in there for sure. Had it been 22 minutes we would've seen much more, I bet.

Promo for next week's all-new episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I8eFq1CJbI

Seems like a good batch all in all, even the Lincoln & Clyde episode (though I predict that one will be my least favorite).

I saw it while watching the SpongeBob birthday special, sounds good already.

And there's another one for Washed Up :

https://youtu.be/_v5VEGobHlM

Still pretty sure Washed Up should've been a 22 minutes one but it looks like a whole lot of fun and I can't wait to see it (same thing about Any Given Sundea).

I'm a little afraid that Recipe for Disaster could be too much similar to Crimes of Fashion but it still could be pretty cool.

No TV and no food make Lola something something...

'Washed Up' is the one I'm looking the most forwards too, despite being a regular episode, but the sundae one is also on the same level, if only because it's an Lily episode and she def deserves to be featured more. It feels like it's so easy for the writers forget about baby characters in shows (as they are hard to write, usually) but they don't forget her which is good.

Once again, it looks like I get to be the first to talk about the latest offering of episodes that just came and went. As a whole, I actually thought this was a pretty good offering with even the Lincoln & Clyde episode being pretty good. I'm having a hard time deciding which of them is my favorite but my least favorite would have to be Present Tense if only because it became just a tad bit redundant by the end.

I've also since been able to find a copy of Lucha Fever that didn't go out of sync. I also thought that was good, but as I said last time I hope this is the last we'll be seeing of Ronnie Anne and her family before The Casagrandes launches in... September was it?

A few individual things I'll note about the episodes:
    * I previously assumed that Present Tense would be a sequel to Future Tense. And while that wasn't the case there is a nod to a deleted scene from that episode. Instead of an endangered turtle the family was gonna save, it was gonna be a dolphin named Kenny. It was changed to what ended up in the final episode because they realized dolphins don't live in lakes. Lynn recalling Lynn Sr. swimming with a dolphin named Kenny being that nod.
    * Present Tense is the first episode I can think of that had a scene that made it as far as being fully animated before being cut. For that episode, it was originally to end with a gag revealing the Beefeater was still inside the house. It was cut because it was decided that it undermined the sentimental family moment at the end (which it would've) and the episode's writer thought the gag didn't fully translate from script to screen.
    * When an image was first posted of Lily's fantasy sequences from Any Given Sundae (which is apparently based on the drawing style of one of the show's staff members), I actually thought that it was fanart at first before learning it was actually from the episode. The first fantasy she has also had a very classic Disney vibe to it.

One more thing, I also got the Season 2 Volume 1 DVD while these episodes were airing and was watching those episodes alongside the newest ones. And one thing I noticed is that the intro for Season 4 has been slightly updated. Previously, the "Created by Chris Savino" credit was colored orange. And now, while it's still present the color's been changed from orange to grey which depending on how your viewing an episode can be a little hard to see. So that strikes me as a 50/50 way of them still acknowledging that he created it, but still washing their hands of anything having to do with him.

I have watched last weeks releases now. The reason it took a while was that I didn't watch the first two until Sunday and the other two until today (so one day's break inbetween). It was a very good batch of episodes overall with not one disappointing or bad episode in the lot.

'Washed Up' certainly good fun it felt rushed. I liked the shipwreck plot and there were many of nice character moments throughout (with almost everyone in the family getting a moment), a good little running thing with the kids not gving up and following what the Loud parents taught them & some pretty decent jokes but everything happened in such break-neck speed and it was peppered with stuff happening constantly (it honestly felt like a 22 minute script shrunken down to 11 minutes so had it been double length it could've been even better) but still, it wasn't bad at all and had a lot of things going for it, including that scene of the parents giving up but the kids convincing them to keep trying (and I really liked the capper with Lily seeing something fantastic that everyone else misses). Very good with a lot of great moments.

'Recipe For Disaster' was better than I thought it would. The Lincoln & Clyde episodes can be a bit hit and miss and often not some of the more exciting episodes but this was definitely one of the better ones, having a good myster plot with them trying to find out if the frozen food company is stealing the recipes from Lynn Sr.'s cookbook (which has gone missing). Some nice moments with them questioning the suspects (though them going about their mystery solving dressed as their heroes Ace Savy and One-Eyed Jack didn't really add anything and I think it worked better the last time, though I liked company owner commenting their outfits) and I liked the twist and the reveal once Lynn Sr. and the company owner finally meet (also good end joke about the whereabouts of the cookbook). A solid enough ep; not great but not bad.

'Present Tense' was a really good one to me. The plot of the kids feeling that their self-made scrapbook is a lackluster gift for their dad's birthday and going out to try and find the perfect one and never really finding the right one was just a lot of simple and straightforward good fun, always like it when the Loud siblings cooperate over something and there were a lot of nice little jokes (like the dolphin/porpoise bit, Lola and the glass unicorn, the nutcracker Beef eater statue they get being outdone by Kotaro having called in an actual one from England to spend a day with Lynn Sr). The Flip/Tucker section with the back and forth was done well and the final scene with them admitting to their dad they failed getting him something and missed the birthday getting turned around into a very sweet ending was well done.

'Any Given Sundae' was great. I had almost everything I would want from a Lily-driven episode; a good plot about her first ice cream awaiting her near the end of a day and her trying to keep her siblings away from getting into troubleand saving her parents from accidents so that they will go there (only if the day went without a hitch) was fun (also a good showcase for her and her intelligence, even though the rest of the family save for the pets doesn't understand her). Her stylized daydreaming was great (one of the best parts), The race to the ice cream parlor got quite intense and Lily doing her best to keep them from getting there late (as it closes early) was neat. The climax was sad but it ended well and happily. Maybe one of the best episodes of the series to me.

Ranking these I'll do a hot take an say 'Any Given Sundae' > 'Present Tense' > 'Recipe For Disaster' > 'Washed Up'

So again, a very good bunch all in all. If they keep up with this quality for season 4 it might be the best season so far. I really hope it won't be too long until the next episodes come out; a month since the last ones felt too long already.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-24-2019 at 08:57 AM.

So I guess it's my turn (once again the last) to talk about the latest bunch. And boy, that is a good one. I missed the family so much and I'm glad to see they have a pretty damn good one to finally make their arrival in season 4.

Washed Up was an excellent episode. Obviously, this one could have been even better if it was a 22 minutes episode. But surprisingly, I didn't had that much the feeling of a poorly paced episode. In fact, they did a damn good job with what they had. So I enjoyed the plot a lot, I mean, the simple idea of the family being stuck on a deserted island, what could go wrong with such a plot. It was very nice to see the whole family together, the overall interactions are excellent, and each Loud has his own moment which is very nice. Basically, the plot is used to show us that this family never gives up in any situation, and I really liked that. This episode is filled with great family moments. Loved the bit with Lana and Lola getting trapped in quicksands (and Leni of all people who figured out how to save them) and the nice scene between them after they're saved. And I like the jokes too, more dialogue-driven than visual-driven but not less effective (really enjoyed the bit with Luan making another Mr Coconuts "now with the real thing !"). And it was nice to see the kids encouraging their parents after they were about to give up. Man, those kids are strong, aren't they. So it could have been even greater if it was a 22 minutes, I agree, but the interactions are top-notch and the concept is still very well used that I enjoyed this episode a lot anyway. Excellent.

Recipe for Disaster was decent, looks like I'm less enthusiastic about this one than you guys. I don't know, maybe it's because Crime of Fashion came before (more predictable but more entertaining and sweet for me; or maybe I'm just a Leni fanboy, I don't know), but I didn't find this one that much exciting. That being said, it's still a good episode with a pretty solid plot. I was engaged enough in the story, of course I wanted to know what happened to the recipe book, and the final part of the story is very enjoyable with a nice deepening of Lynn Sr.'s youth (and that final bit with Leni and Lola is awesome; for some reason now I want to see a whole scene with the two of them on the road in Lola's princess car, the idea is too fun to ignore it). But overall, I thought the humor was pretty phoned. Once again it's maybe because it came after Crime of Fashion that I thinked that; also the part with the two boys trying to sneak in the company wasn't really funny to me. Still, there was some good jokes here and there, like the scene with Kotaro (Lucy and her funeral business deserve an episode of their own), and that's still a nice episode.

Present Tense was an excellent surprise. Because let's be honest, you can guess the ending as soon as you read the synopsis. But in this case, I didn't cared at all since it was a simple, straightforward yet lovely episode. Once again, what mostly makes the cake is the family interactions, and once again I really like seeing them together, in their quest to find the perfect gift for their father. From beginning to end, the interactions are top-notch. And once again, each sibling still has his own good moment. This episode is a lot funny (the dolphin/porpoise joke is hilarious) and it also has a lot of heart; seeing the kids so dedicated to find a gift good enough for their father was enthusiastic, no matter how predictable the ending is; said ending is genuinely adorable by the way. And there's also some strong visual finds, like the bit with the Loud family walking on a blue background with signboards all around; something that I didn't expected to see in such a show, and I liked it. This episode reminded me why I love this show so much. With a simple premise, they did an amazing, endearing and very heartwarming episode, and so far my favorite of this season.

Any Given Sundea also was a really good episode. Maybe I prefer when Lily acts like a realistic one year old (hence why I love so much an episode like Changing the Baby since it fits well with the plot and its excellent and very realistic moral) but regardless, this intelligent, strategist side of the baby was fun to see and it fits well with such a plot; by the way, maybe she's depicted as a smarter baby because time passed a bit since season 1 and because the staff wants to grow up the kids a bit in season 5, therefore maybe season 4 is sort of a bridge to the next season, I don't know but I think it's an interesting theory. Loved the bits with Lily's daydreaming : it's a very funny and interesting portrayal of the mind of a baby, with the Disney vibes of her ice cream fantasy and the crummy design of the family, that's a lot clever. The story is good, the humor is good (the advertising literally screaming closing time), and the ending at Flip's store was satisfying (by the way, you guys noticed Flip was in each episode of this week ? Was it a "special Flip" week ?). Very good.

And as for my ranking : Present Tense > Washed Up > Any Given Sundae > Recipe For Disaster

Man, as much as I like the Casagrande family, the Louds return was so much of a pleasure after one month of teasing for the ongoing spin-off. Hope the rest of the season will be as good as this bunch for the most part.

@Wile E. the Brain, I actually didn't think of Flip showing up in each one of these; good catch.

It's indeed great to see the family back in action again after several weeks of the Casagrandes. Still really wish they had taken their time with 'Washed Up' as a long episode though and went for more visual jokes than dialogue-driven ones and had some breather moments as it jumped around a bit too quickly from event to event, but it was a solid one for sure.

Furthermore, I didn't mind Lily being portrayed as more competent in Any Given Sundae'. I too prefer her as more of a normal baby doing normal baby things but here I understand the need to make her a little smarter and being able to handle things herself as she was the main character in the first of her episodes where she pushes the plot almost solely by herself (and the show has done a lot of things even more far out there than Lily behaving more intelligently than usual so it was okay by me).

Also, I'm not super enthusiastic about 'Recipe For Disaster' either and 'Washed Up' is probably a little better overall despite the length and pacing issues (the two are fairly interchangeable in my opinion). I would also say that Crimes Of Fashion is the better "Lincoln & Clyde takes on a case as Ace and Jack" episode and some of the stuff like their lame attempts at getting into the company headquarters wore a little thin but it's still a good ep to me; the ending with Lynn Sr. and the company owner and the tale with the flashback was the highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    [MENTION=78686]Furthermore, I didn't mind Lily being portrayed as more competent in Any Given Sundae'. I too prefer her as more of a normal baby doing normal baby things but here I understand the need to make her a little smarter and being able to handle things herself as she was the main character in the first of her episodes where she pushes the plot almost solely by herself (and the show has done a lot of things even more far out there than Lily behaving more intelligently than usual so it was okay by me).
    Yeah I didn't mind it either. Because I prefer her as more of a realistic baby doesn't mean I didn't like seeing her smarter than usual, and of course it's for the best when an entire plot revolves around her, I completely understand the choice (like I said in my review it fits well with the plot). And yeah after all, we talk about the show where a four year old discovers the secret of time-travelling, aha.

@Wile E. the Brain, Lisa creating time travel (I think that sort of happened twice, both in 'The Mad Scientist' as well as 'One Of The Boys' where she subjects Lincoln to a trip through a portal into an alternate universe) has to be the most zany thing they have done so far, almost to the point where I'm wondering if those of us who prefer a little more realism in the show should consider those moments non-canon.

Also, by the way, I decided to break the trend of Lucy-related avatars. Figured it was about time.

It's not to the point I will consider The Mad Scientist non-canon (though the ending itself basically made this episode inexistent but in Lisa's mind), it's still a good episode but I must admit the time travel part was way too far even if I in general enjoy when this show goes wacky. Also, One of the Boys is a pretty different example since it was part of Lincoln's dream, but I guess Lincoln knows she can go as far as creating such a thing.

It's true that 'One of The Boys' was just Lincoln's dream, but I figured I'd mention it too even though the other example is the only event that seem to have truly happened. I too think they went a bit too far but I never really minded it to be honest, but I hope they'll keep those really fantastical things to a minimum as I appreciate how the show is grounded in realism.

So are we into another hiatus or has some airdates for this month shown up via social media? Have you seen or heard anything, @John95?

@CousinMerl, Nope, nothing yet. Looks like we won't be getting any more new episodes before the spinoff in a month or so.

Thread Information