View Poll Results: How would you rate Family Guy's new episode?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

1 9.09%
  • 4/5

3 27.27%
  • 3/5

1 9.09%
  • 2/5

2 18.18%
  • 1/5

4 36.36%

Thread: Rate and Review: Family Guy-Better Off Meg

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate and Review: Family Guy-Better Off Meg

Better Off Meg.jpg

Better Off Meg

Season: 18 Episode: 18
    Total Episode Count: 347
    Prod. no.: JACX17
    First Aired: May 3, 2020

Featuring: Meg Griffin
    Also Appearing: Peter, Lois, Chris, Stewie, Brian, Bruce etc.

Writers: Emily Towers

Plot: When Meg is erroneously reported to have died in a car crash, she goes along with the story to start a new life elsewhere. Meanwhile, the Griffins experience a life without Meg.

Information taken from the Family Guy wiki

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Having higher expectations for this one. I already know a Meg episode is likely to be a lot better than the last two. Her episodes almost never disappoint. like a special treat for me.
    Last edited by orangemo; 05-03-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Yeah this was pretty mediocre to bad there was a good sense of direction in Meg’s story and it was funny in very little areas. It’s too bad it’s undermined by the ridculously long and irrelevant cutaways and mean spirited gags. Meg was fine here but everyone else just made this episode bad. Last week was slightly better. This season in general is just dissapointing compared to seasons 15 and 16 which were good direction for the show.

I’ll give it a C or 2.5/5. For polls rounding down to 2.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Huh, I weigh 2 pounds less than Meg.

Story was doing ok until they had Chris kidnap her.

Lois genuinely loving Meg for once was nice for the little it was shown.

Oddly refreshing focus, but otherwise whatever.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Yeah, like @1010011010 mentioned this was fine up until the point where completely fucked themselves by having Chris kidnapping Meg showing that they took a page from the American Dad! writer's guide as the episode then proceeds to commit all three of the biggest sins that leads to many a bad episode from that show:

* Out of nowhere twist for the sake of one that does nothing except derail the episode (Chris kidnapping Meg)
    * Pointless gore to try and hide the fact that they slammed themselves into a wall and couldn't think of another way around it (Meg slamming her head on the cement floor in order to make herself bleed)
    * Character who did the terrible thing being (mostly) Easily Forgiven in a way that's just total BS (I literally said "What a fucking load!" while I was watching). That said, at least it's implied that Meg is still angry at Chris for what he did unlike in similar cases such as News Glance with Genevieve Vavance (to which this episode ultimately feels like a ripoff of in it's final act) and The Mural of the Story where both times Hayley undeservedly forgave the assholes who wronged her.

Only other thing I'll say is if the people who despise Brian can watch what Chris does in this episode and still say the aforementioned is the worst character in the main cast, than they go and seriously fuck off! As for me on the other hand, I've hated Chris for a while (so this isn't like News Glance with Genevieve Vavance where I was fine with Steve beforehand but forever turned on him thanks to that episode) but this episode pretty much solidified that you'll never convince me he's not the worst in the main cast!

.5/5, very generous 1 for the poll. Not the worst episode of the season, but easily the most disappointing in a season that's pretty much destined to be the worst since 13.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: TBD Men II Boyz: TBD Roger Needs Dick: 0/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Yeah, like @1010011010 mentioned this was fine up until the point where completely fucked themselves by having Chris kidnapping Meg showing that they took a page from the American Dad! writer's guide as the episode then proceeds to commit all three of the biggest sins that leads to many a bad episode from that show:

* Out of nowhere twist for the sake of one that does nothing except derail the episode (Chris kidnapping Meg)
    * Pointless gore to try and hide the fact that they slammed themselves into a wall and couldn't think of another way around it (Meg slamming her head on the cement floor in order to make herself bleed)
    * Character who did the terrible thing being (mostly) Easily Forgiven in a way that's just total BS (I literally said "What a fucking load!" while I was watching). That said, at least it's implied that Meg is still angry at Chris for what he did unlike in similar cases such as News Glance with Genevieve Vavance (to which this episode ultimately feels like a ripoff of in it's final act) and The Mural of the Story where both times Hayley undeservedly forgave the assholes who wronged her.

Only other thing I'll say is if the people who despise Brian can watch what Chris does in this episode and still say the aforementioned is the worst character in the main cast, than they go and seriously fuck off! As for me on the other hand, I've hated Chris for a while (so this isn't like News Glance with Genevieve Vavance where I was fine with Steve beforehand but forever turned on him thanks to that episode) but this episode pretty much solidified that you'll never convince me he's not the worst in the main cast!

.5/5, very generous 1 for the poll. Not the worst episode of the season, but easily the most disappointing in a season that's pretty much destined to be the worst since 13.
    I agree with you this was disappointing.

I agree with you that this episode was bad (I swear, this show has gotten so fucking weird over the last few years, and not in a good way) and Chris was a piece of shit. But "News Glance" was nowhere near this bad. It was Hayley's idea to hide Steve so she could get to report the story she wanted, and she even said that she didn't care what he got out of it. And at least Steve was actually sincere when he admitted the whole thing was a ruse. Chris barely said anything, didn't even know Meg was there (I don't know if he's just that stupid or he was pretending she wasn't there), and got rewarded for it. There was no reason for him to even give that speech because nobody in the audience knew what he did.

@Dr. Nihilistic, Sorry, I consider News Glance to be worse for the following reasons:

* It falls apart sooner (roughly nine minutes in when Roger accuses Stan & Francine of murdering Steve vs. Chris kidnapping Meg happening about thirteen and a half minutes in)
    * It did more damage to my opinion on Steve than Chris (I was fine with Steve up until this episode [even if he was becoming more of a brat] whereas I've already hated Chris for a while prior to this episode).
    * Steve's reasons for selling Hayley out are more shallow and damning (I don't want to hear the whole "Roger would've exposed the story" BS because Steve looking at the magazine pretty much implied that he sold her out simply to get laid).
    * Hayley wrongfully forgave the Karma Houdining four eyed bastard for what he did when he didn't deserve it even after owning up to it (which for me was cancelled out for how he sold her out to begin with simply so that he could get fucking laid), whereas it's hinted that Meg was still mad at Chris even after he owned up to his actions and got off scot-free.

@Dr. Nihilistic, Sorry, I consider News Glance to be worse for the following reasons:

* It falls apart sooner (roughly nine minutes in when Roger accuses Stan & Francine of murdering Steve vs. Chris kidnapping Meg happening about thirteen and a half minutes in)
    * It did more damage to my opinion on Steve than Chris (I was fine with Steve up until this episode [even if he was becoming more of a brat] whereas I've already hated Chris for a while prior to this episode).
    * Steve's reasons for selling Hayley out are more shallow and damning (I don't want to hear the whole "Roger would've exposed the story" BS because Steve looking at the magazine pretty much implied that he sold her out simply to get laid).
    * Hayley wrongfully forgave the Karma Houdining four eyed bastard for what he did when he didn't deserve it even after owning up to it (which for me was cancelled out for how he sold her out to begin with simply so that he could get fucking laid), whereas it's hinted that Meg was still mad at Chris even after he owned up to his actions and got off scot-free.
    I haven't seen the episode in a long time just so you know, but I don't remember it being as bad as this one, and definitely not worse.

My thing is, it's not like Steve came up with the plan to fake his death and asked for Hayley's help to pull it off. Hayley was in on it the whole time. She was acting out of her own self-interest. Of course, Steve ran with it, but it's been established for years that he's obsessed with sex. His virginity is one of his most notable character traits. He once tried to stick firecrackers up his friends' asses so he could touch a girl's breasts. Him selling Hayley out for the sole purpose of wanting sex is in-character for him.

In "Better Off Meg," the whole thing is just Meg suffering for no reason. Nobody in the family (outside of Lois) cared about her "death," Chris took advantage of it for his own selfish needs, and when he found out that Meg wasn't really dead, he was willing to have her die just so he could keep being popular. Then he gives that horrible speech where he couldn't even pretend to be sincere, to the point where I don't know if he's even aware of what he did.

"News Glance" knew exactly what it was trying to say, and it played on already established character traits to tell the story it needed to tell. Roger was looking for something to exploit and boost ratings, Hayley wanted to raise awareness of an environmental issue, and Steve wanted to lose his virginity. Everybody was acting out of their own self-interest. In "Better Off Meg," Chris was just being a selfish bastard and was willing to let his sister die for no reason other than the fact that he wanted to be popular.
    Last edited by Dr. Nihilistic; 05-06-2020 at 09:23 AM.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    I haven't seen the episode in a long time just so you know, but I don't remember it being as bad as this one, and definitely not worse.

My thing is, it's not like Steve came up with the plan to fake his death and asked for Hayley's help to pull it off. Hayley was in on it the whole time. She was acting out of her own self-interest. Of course, Steve ran with it, but it's been established for years that he's obsessed with sex. His virginity is one of his most notable character traits. He once tried to stick firecrackers up his friends' asses so he could touch a girl's breasts. Him selling Hayley out for the sole purpose of wanting sex is in-character for him.

In "Better Off Meg," the whole thing is just Meg suffering for no reason. Nobody in the family (outside of Lois) cared about her "death," Chris took advantage of it for his own selfish needs, and when he found out that Meg wasn't really dead, he was willing to have her die just so he could keep being popular. Then he gives that horrible speech where he couldn't even pretend to be sincere, to the point where I don't know if he's even aware of what he did.

"News Glance" knew exactly what it was trying to say, and it played on already established character traits to tell the story it needed to tell. Roger was looking for something to exploit and boost ratings, Hayley wanted to raise awareness of an environmental issue, and Steve wanted to lose his virginity. Everybody was acting out of their own self-interest. In "Better Off Meg," Chris was just being a selfish bastard and was willing to let his sister die for no reason other than the fact that he wanted to be popular.
    I agree with your statement. This episode made me dislike Chris even more than when he let the German Guy shoot Peter in German Guy. He's just a selfish asshole at this point, even worse than Peter and Brian, who are still decent.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Phil's review I agreed mostly

Pin Pal

Man, this made my blood boiled! With the exception of Lois and Brian showing sympathy, I want Peter to die!! When told Lois and Brian to stop crying, it shows how much of a fat retarted monster he is. Chris was no better. Lying to get popular made him horrible. At least Meg got back at Chris in Stewroids. I agree too that American Dad handled a situation like this better. Hayley admitted she helped in Steve's kidnapping and Steve confessed too. The only parts that I liked were the people from Quiznos' sending off subs in her memory, bowling (which she is great at) and meeting new friends. I hope Chris, Principal Shepard and Peter get karma. Every joke was very mean spirited. Even the beginning with nobobdy at the school and her family out at the boardwalk without her wasn't funny. These writers have got to go. It's time to bring in new writers who know how to write girls and women. The Meg abuse isn't funny and has got to go. It's just plain sexist. One more scen I like was Meg at grave site. What could have been a great Meg episode was D.O.A. and I love Meg episodes. Dial Meg for Murder is the best. I give this a 0.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    Man, this made my blood boiled! With the exception of Lois and Brian showing sympathy, I want Peter to die!! When told Lois and Brian to stop crying, it shows how much of a fat retarted monster he is. Chris was no better. Lying to get popular made him horrible. At least Meg got back at Chris in Stewroids. I agree too that American Dad handled a situation like this better. Hayley admitted she helped in Steve's kidnapping and Steve confessed too. The only parts that I liked were the people from Quiznos' sending off subs in her memory, bowling (which she is great at) and meeting new friends. I hope Chris, Principal Shepard and Peter get karma. Every joke was very mean spirited. Even the beginning with nobobdy at the school and her family out at the boardwalk without her wasn't funny. These writers have got to go. It's time to bring in new writers who know how to write girls and women. The Meg abuse isn't funny and has got to go. It's just plain sexist. One more scen I like was Meg at grave site. What could have been a great Meg episode was D.O.A. and I love Meg episodes. Dial Meg for Murder is the best. I give this a 0.
    I agree this was pretty bad. You know how upset I was when Chris had that character, I was pretty angry. He's even more unlikeable. Also Lois and Peter showing sympathy that pissed me off because they don't care for her and suddenly they do and then they don't. I did like the Quiznos part, her making new friends, and her bowling. There was SO MUCH potential in this episode that I thought they CLEARLY missed out on. And this might be my worst of the season now that I think about it. Bob's Burgers is still a great show so idk why people hate that but like this.

I'm no writer but if I can compare other Meg episodes with this one, it's clear new writers shouldn't write Meg episodes as their first. Emily Towers I'm sure can do better comedy than me, but I feel like it would have been better if she started out with a Stewie/Brian episode since those are easier to write. I know there's the saying that the male writers didn't know how to write for a teenage girl here, but she's a female and I feel like she's just following status quo rather than trying to make better characters out of these episodes. Meg episodes are like a special treat for me, since Mila Kunis barely gets any screentime as Meg cause of her new lifestyles and work. Episodes like Meg Stinks, the Peter Principal, and Crimes and Meg's Demeanor show the potential the character has when not being used as a punching bag.

There is a solid set up in the beginning, but it all goes downhill when Chris kidnaps Meg. Meg actually seemed to be enjoying her new life and Lois was crying when she lost Meg, but the ending was just terrible and it was like a let's bury the hatchet and forget everything happened, just like Simpsons, only worse, because of Chris kidnapping Meg, there was no potential for a good send off. This episode makes me dislike Lois and Chris even more because once Meg came back Lois stopped caring and Chris is just really cruel by now. He's not funny most of the time and this is likely even worse than when he shot Peter in German Guy, one of my worst FG episodes ever. Not the worst of the season, because of some good flashback jokes and some funny stuff, but the most disappointing for sure.

2/5 originally was 2.5 but then I realized that Chris kidnapping Meg was just stupid as hell so now it's a 2. It's likely even worse than the American Dad premiere mainly because that one was just really boring while this while funny at points is just too mean-spirited for my case.

It's not the worst episode or the most mean-spirited one. The most mean-spirited episodes of Family Guy are likely Seahorse Seashell Party or the D in Apartment 23, while the latter makes a fantastic commentary, you begin to feel sorry for Brian. But I still think if you want to compare this with the season 18 episode of Simpsons the Boys of Bummer is even worse because that episode drives Bart to want to fucking KILL himself because of all the mean-spirited stuff he got. That's right a suicide joke in the Simpsons. They went too far with that one. Funny both are in season 18 of their show AND episode 18 in that season.

@John95, I just went back and watched "News Glance." Honestly, I don't know why you don't have more anger for Roger since he played a major part in things escalating the way they did.

Yeah, Steve definitely sold Hayley out, but this isn't an episode that ruins his character or anything like that. Like I said, everybody in that episode was looking out for themselves.

@Dr. Nihilistic, Oh no, Roger was shit as always, hell he's the reason why the episode falls apart barely 10 minutes in. But this was one of the extremely rare times where he was unsuccessful in getting away with his actions... Which cannot be said for Steve and the fact that he sold Hayley out to begin with immediately cancels out him eventually owning up to his actions. Agree to disagree, but this episode ruined Steve for me and I still hate him 6+ years later with episodes like Morning Mimosa, Camp Campawanda and Mom Sauce doing nothing to help his case.

@Dr. Nihilistic, Oh no, Roger was shit as always, hell he's the reason why the episode falls apart barely 10 minutes in. But this was one of the extremely rare times where he was unsuccessful in getting away with his actions... Which cannot be said for Steve and the fact that he sold Hayley out to begin with immediately cancels out him eventually owning up to his actions. Agree to disagree, but this episode ruined Steve for me and I still hate him 6+ years later with episodes like Morning Mimosa, Camp Campawanda and Mom Sauce doing nothing to help his case.
    This is why American Dad went downhill. They threw away focus on Stan Smith and focused on Roger who was funny in the first few seasons. Quite a coincidence considering that's how Family Guy started to drop in quality.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Yeah I’ma downgrade this to a 1/5 it’s bad.

Thread Information