Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 122



Thread: Amphibia



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #1
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    Amphibia

    The latest hit animated series from Disney, created by one of the alumnis from Gravity Falls. Thought there could be a thread for it.



    The series chronicles the adventures of a self-centered 13-year-old Thai-American girl named Anne Boonchuy. After stealing a mysterious music box, she is magically transported to Amphibia, a wild marshland full of talking frog-people. She soon meets and befriends an adventurous young frog named Sprig Plantar, who will guide her to be a true hero, while discovering the first true friendship of her life.
    I have seen up until this week's episodes and I think it's quite good so far, lots of fun and still growing and adding lore and background. The overaching story has supposedly been laid out beforehand and even though this beginning focuses on the day to day slice of life stuff with comical misadventures (with some of the plots feeling pretty standard and potentially underselling an interesting fantasy premise like this) there is some darker and heavier stuff boiling in the background so I think that it might grow into something great once it grows it's beard.

    Will keep watching since it's a pretty fun and interesting series and nicely fills the empty room left behind by the abeformentioned Gravity Falls and as of recently Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil. It has my recommendation, maybe especially if you miss one or both of those two shows that ended as it does bear similarities to them.

    Anyone else out there watching this show? Any opinions thus far?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-02-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    The Simpsons - Season 32

    Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBD

  2. #2
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    I watch this show too (I've looked forward for it since last year), and so far I like it, it's pretty good. It's filled with endearing characters, has a lot of charm, and is something more like just what looked like a Gravity Falls-like at first sight. I really like the comedy in it too, there are good creativity touches regarding fauna and flora of this universe, and the voice actors are great (still a big pleasure to hear Bill Farmer).

    I think it's clear this show hasn't reached its full potential yet since season 1 looks like a typical slice of lice show in a surreal world (Anne learns how to drive; Anne and Sprig learn the "joy" of being roomates; etc.), but I'm pretty sure this potentiel is kept safe for the future and, by the way, I'm not complaining, season 1 is very nice so far and the stories are overall good (and not all of its episodes are that simple). It has my recommendation too.

    So far my favorite episodes are Flood, Sweat and Tears, Stakeout and Family Shrub.

    @CousinMerl, by the way, have you heard about The Owl House ? It's another incoming Disney Animation show (likely in 2020) that I'm pretty impatient to see.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 07-02-2019 at 03:33 PM.

  3. #3
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    @Wile E. the Brain, I've certainly heard about The Owl House. I think I first heard about it year ago or so when it was first announced and it had my interest, but now when they released that short teaser trailer they have my full attention (as it looks pretty great) and it made me disappointed they pushed it back to next year (which looks like will be the premiere date).

    But yeah, have to agree that Bill Farmer is really good and he's great as Hop Pop, almost unrecognizeable but I like that (when a well known voice actor/actress can disguise their voice so well it makes the character more original and less familiar; another example is Jim Cummings in 'The Princess And The Frog'); all of the other voice talents does great too. I don't mind either that they are mostly playing it safe with a lot of standard stories (just set in this fantasy world) as a lot of shows are like this first before they get their groove going and besides, most of the episodes are nice, fun romps anyway. Favorite episodes of those I've seen are 'The Domino Effect', 'Anne Theft Auto, 'Dating Season', 'Anne Vs. Wild' and 'Family Shrub'. Least favorite is 'Hop Luck'.

    Haven't seen this weeks' episodes yet as said but will as soon when they've aired them all. Prefer to wait until the batches are available.

  4. #4
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    [MENTION=78686]But yeah, have to agree that Bill Farmer is really good and he's great as Hop Pop, almost unrecognizeable but I like that (when a well known voice actor/actress can disguise their voice so well it makes the character more original and less familiar; another example is Jim Cummings in 'The Princess And The Frog'); all of the other voice talents does great too.
    That's funny because when I watched the first episode, when I heard Hop-Pop's voice, I really had the feeling to have heard it before, but I didn't recognize Farmer at first indeed. Now I keep in mind it's Farmer's voice, that actually sounds pretty familiar to me; there's a bit of an older version of Goofy in his voice, though Hop-Pop is less silly as a character (... at times, anyway). I agree with your point about a voice actor disguising his voice, by the way.

    Dating Season and Anne Theft Auto are also good choices for the best of this season so far, I really enjoyed them. Least favorite of mine is Taking Charge.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

    Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBA

    Best / Worst from each season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted / Homer's Odyssey - 2. Two Cars In Every Garage and Three Eyes On Every Fish / Dancin' Homer - 3. Homer at the Bat / The Otto Show - 4. Last Exit to Springfield / Brother from the Same Planet - 5. Cape Feare / Bart's Inner Child - 6. Homer the Great / Another Simpsons Clip Show - 7. Raging Abe Simpson (...) / Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming - 8. Homer vs. the 18th Amendment / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson - 9. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson / All Singing, All Dancing - 10. Mom and Pop Art / They Saved Lisa's Brain - 11. E-I-E-I-D'oh / Eight Misbehavin - 12. Trilogy of Error / Worst Episode Ever - 13. The Blunder Years / Gump Roast - 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation / Pray Anything - 15. My Mother the Carjacker / Bart-Mangled Banner - 16. Thank God, It's Doomsday / Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass - 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story / The Bonfire of the Manatees - 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple / Little Big Girl - 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Hubsband and Knives - 20. Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes / The Burns and the Bees - 21. Moe Letter Blues / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - 22. Flaming Moe / Elementary School Musical - 23. Holidays of Future Passed / Lisa Goes Gaga - 24. Dangers on a Train / Love Is a Many-Splintered Thing - 25. Steal This Episode / The Man Who Grew Too Much - 26. The Princess Guide / The Musk Who Fell to Earth - 27. Halloween of Horror / Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 28. There Will Be Buds / Dad Behavior - 29. King Leer / Frink Gets Testy - 30. Daddicus Finch / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 31. Livin' la Pura Vida / Better Off Ned

  5. #5
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    Well, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring and say that I too am watching the series and I'm up to date on every episode so far, including today's which... Without spoiling anything in case nobody else has seen it yet is a game changer.

    Also @CousinMerl, funny you should mention Gravity Falls because the show was created by a former director for that series and you can definitely tell.

    So far my favorite episodes have been Anne Theft Auto, Breakout Star, Family Shrub and both episodes that aired today while my least favorites are Hop Luck, Taking Charge and Anne vs. Wild.
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: TBD Cutaway Land: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

  6. #6
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    @John95, I did mention that the show is created by a Gravity Falls alumni right away but you are correct that one can tell it's by someone who was onboard that show, especially when it gets more adventurous and/or darker.

    I must say I'm a little surprised both you and @Wile. E. the Brain dislike 'Taking Charge'. I thought that one was pretty decent despite some flaws and isn't a first choice to pick as my least favorite; it had some good humor and I liked the quest involving the "zappapedes" (a funny creature concept; lots of interesting creature designs in this show, btw). Care to explain why?

    Also, you didn't like 'Anne Vs. Wild', John? Why's that? Just wondering since it felt like a generally good episode. I do however agree on that 'Breakout Star' was really good, to me surprisingly so since the plot description didn't sound like anything special; I wish there would be more episodes involving the supporting characters since it's a good cast and having them around more would spice things up.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-02-2019 at 11:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    @CousinMerl, this episode is a lot hit or miss to me. I don't say it's that bad of an episode (to me it's more average than anything), there are some pretty funny moments (Hop-Pop who knows a guy that can make sacrifices, or the cellphone charged to 10,000%, that's absurd and I love it) and I liked the concept of the zappapedes, and their design as well. That being said, I didn't thought this one was that much entertaining. For some reason it looked like a cheap version of Murder on the Planet Express from Futurama for me, with nobody trusting anyone while they're in a pretty dangerous quest. It's really predictable, I quickly knew who was responsible. Some jokes are pretty lazy and, I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended to be a moral but this is clumsy to make jokes about "litterature is boring" but never questioning the TV show Anne is hooked on.

  8. #8
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    Yeah, gonna double on what @Wile E. the Brain said about Taking Charge being mostly predictable which made the episode feel boring as it felt twice as long to get to the reveal of Hop Pop being the one who wasted the battery which you could pretty much see coming from a mile away.

    As for Anne vs. Wild, again, just mostly boring but slightly better then Taking Charge since there wasn't a Captain Obvious Reveal that you had to wait a good portion of the episode to get to. My biggest take away from it really was Anne showing the Calamity Box to the Plantars and that Hop Pop knows about it, though honestly I felt that scene was somewhat shoehorned in when compared to the rest of the episode.

  9. #9
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    Points taken about 'Taking Charge', @John95 & @Wile E. the Brain. Myself I didn't like it a lot either despite the stuff I liked and it was definitely on the average side and one of the lesser ones so far for sure, but not terrible by any means. As for 'Anne Vs. Wild', while I still think it was a good one (really liked the darker stuff towards the end) I also found the box ending to be a little shoehorned; feels like this moment should've come in an earlier episode. Why did Anne even wait so long to show it and talk to them about it?).

    While there are some other less good episodes the only one so far that I feel that is even close to bad is 'Hop Luck'. I'm not too much of a big fan of this kind of shaggy dog stories that just ends on a sour and mean note (also it felt kinda dumb with not even Anne thinking of using the tomatoes in any constructive manner and just putting a slice on the same old crappy dish that Hop Pop makes; why not spice things up and at least try? Also didn't like Anne snapping and pushing Sprig to a wall to threaten him for innocently suggesting they put pineapple, which doesn't even feel like something they grow in this world, on the pizza. Just felt too cruel and came off as a forced way of the writer inserting an personal opinion into the show).

    Anyway, I watched 'Lily Pad Thai', 'Plantar’s Last Stand', 'Toad Toll' and 'Prison Break' today (I'm guessing the last two were those favorites you mentioned, John). The first two were good (especially the first) and the latter two were great and maybe the best episodes so far.

    Really liked the humor and also the drama, not only 'Prison 'Break' (Sasha is pretty cool and interesting with her continuing manipulation and conniving demeanor but it's admirable how she still cares for her friends, wants to find them and get out of there so not a classic 'alpha bitch' stereotype; I wonder if she'll stay on their side or make a turn for the worse) but also the former which really took a turn for the interesting towards the end and actually ended up furthering the story; I think this might've been the big turn.

    Really feels they've upped the ante now and I can only see the show getting better from now on.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-03-2019 at 12:05 PM.

  10. #10
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    I liked Anne vs. Wild but I found the ending to be shoehorned too. Maybe it was because the writers feared the audience will quit the show for a bit since there wasn't a scene about Anne's mysterious appearance in this world because of the box since Best Fronds. Or maybe because they didn't had enough material with the premise of this episode (that would explain the pretty long gag right before this scene).

    Personally I found Hop Luck to be actually decent. Not great, but quite amusing to me. There's some funny moments (especially Sprig's line "My fiancé was riiight !" while being eaten by the giant plants), and yeah, even the pineapple gag got a chuckle out of me because of the obvious reason behind this joke : the legend about "putting pineapple on pizza is evil". Even the end I sort of liked it, at least, it broke my expectations and that makes it less easy than what I tought first (and not that mean-spirited to me but it's maybe because I have the feeling I've seen way more cruel; probably because I currently (re)watch some SpongeBob episodes from seasons 5 through 8). That being said, there's nothing really special about this episode to me and that remains one of the weakest so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    (Sasha is pretty cool and interesting with her continuing manipulation and conniving demeanor but it's admirable how she still cares for her friends, wants to find them and get out of there so not a classic 'alpha bitch' stereotype; I wonder if she'll stay on their side or make a turn for the worse)
    I watched Toad Tax and Prison Break today too and I really enjoyed those two episodes, like you guys said it sure is among the best of the season so far, and among what I liked the most about Prison Break is Sasha's character, she's definitely interesting. One line that I found a lot intriguing is when she says with an affirmative look "Get them to love you and they'll do anything for you", and confirming that works. That reminded me Best Fronds when Anne affirms that a true friend would help their friend get whatever they want, and the fact she's in this world because she stole a box, probably pushed by her friends. With those two episodes, and the fact she seemingly still cares for her friends at the end, Sasha already looks like one really ambiguous and interesting character; can't wait to see how the show will deepen her, and her relationship with Anne, I'm looking forward for their reunion together.

  11. #11
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    The humor was the one part I quite liked about 'Hop Luck' (which wasn't a terrible episode, btw) as it was indeed pretty good. Best part by far was the scene with the baker and his creepy daughter who wants to make Sprig her man; that was really funny and I hope we'll see them again, especially the daughter (with Sprig crushing on Ivy, I'm wondering if there might be some form of conflict in the future, perhaps? We'll see).

    On another note, anyone else feel they nailed the various wierd, funny and odd facial expressions they make on the show? Feels like heaven for fans of memes and reaction images/gifs.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.

  12. #12
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    @Wile E. the Brain, In regards to what you said about the scene with the box, to me it felt like either of the scenarios you mentioned, or the writers figuring the audience might've forgotten about it if they were anticipating the series airing on a more traditional (and preferable, see below) schedule.
    @CousinMerl, What you said about Hop Luck is why I don't really care for it either. I get what they were going for with the ending, but it was predictable that it would go that way so again the episode felt tedious. Honestly, it would've been predictable if it went the other way as well with them actually winning, but I would've preferred that over the actual ending leaving me feeling very empty and thinking "What as the point?". The Bounce Lounge from Star Vs. the Forces of Evil is a better version of this episode, even with it's Shaggy Dog Story ending.

    With Sasha, she's a complicated character for sure after just one episode. On one hand, I like her but on the other I also don't with Prison Break all but confirming that she was the one who manipulated Anne into stealing the box. Even with the scene at the end of her with the pic of her, Anne and Marcie; I'm left wondering how much of her friendship with Anne is legit (at least for now).

    And in regards to today's episodes, Grubhog Day was OK but I thought Hop Pop and Lock was decent. And yeah, I get what you mean CousinMerl about the facial expressions as Hop Pop has some in the latter episode that are just priceless.

    One more thing I'll add that I keep forgetting to say is that as I hinted above I'm honestly not really digging Disney's release schedule for the series. If they wanted to do more then one episode a week then they should've what they did recently with Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure or the last season of Star vs. the Forces of Evil where they only do two a week. At the rate they're going, the season will end in three weeks and who knows how long we'll have to wait for the second season.

  13. #13
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    @John95, releasing the whole first season as this "month bomb" of sorts I'm not a fan of either as it feels like a mistake, much as the hiatus until the second season will be long (it's been set for the beginning of next year and hopefully it won't get pushed back further).

    To add on Sasha I'm not sure I like her too much either as she definitely comes off as sort of an unlikeable semi-villain, not only with her apparent history of manipulating people into getting what she wants but part of her motive of having a bit of fun while she's in Toad Tower (which makes me wonder if she'll be corrupted enough to become a main antagonist, which would be interetsing).

    I think the best part of the character is how she adds a bit of moral ambiguity to the series which contrasts with Grime's obviously and almost cartoonishly evil personality; I'm almost thinking of her as the Toffee to Grime's Ludo (as in Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil).

  14. #14
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    One more thing I'll add that I keep forgetting to say is that as I hinted above I'm honestly not really digging Disney's release schedule for the series.
    Neither am I. It's almost like Disney Channel wants to get rid of season 1 as quickly as possible. And therefore, that makes the hiatus before the next episodes even longer and annoying when you become hooked on the show. I suppose it's because it's summer but even then, they've got two months and a half to schedule the whole season so why do they want to release it entirely during only one month ? In general I feel like Disney Channel is really clumsy with airdates (some weeks ago they did the same thing with Big Hero 6: The Series and DuckTales, with five episodes a week during two weeks... and nothing else since).

    Regarding Sasha, I don't know if I like her in the same way we can say "she's likeable", but I really like her seemingly ambiguous side. And the writers have a lot of potential in their hands with her, regarding what we know about her and her relationship with Anne since the beginning (she probably manipulated Anne to get the box, she shows her manipulative skills once more in Prison Break, and not to mention the fact she "wants to have some fun" in Toad Tower; but she still seemingly cares a lot about what could have happened to her friends). I don't know what the writers want to make with her but I definitely can't wait to know.

  15. #15
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    Another week, another batch of episodes. Unfortunately, today was the first time where I cared for neither episode being offered whereas previously I would at least be able to like one of the two being offered on a given day.

    The main reason why I cared for neither Croak or Punishment or Trip to the Archives is that both episodes put Sprig in a position that just made him rather unlikable, and both episodes paid the price for it (especially the former).

    Additionally, Croak and Punishment is easily comparable to the Star vs. the Forces of Evil episode Yada Yada Berries, to the point where there are several scenes that are very similar to each other. Though obviously this episode is the far less entertaining of the two largely due to Sprig's aforementioned jerkiness and much like Taking Charge, the reveal at the end which can be seen from a mile away so once again the episode ends up being tedious.

  16. #16
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    I haven't watched any episodes past 'Prison Break' to be honest, but will catch up soon and post my thoughts. Looking at the list of season 1 episodes it seems like it's more standalone slice of life stories left until the season finale which I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing.

  17. #17
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    Watched a bunch of episodes today.

    'Grubhog Day' was a pretty nice episode with a good take on the Groundhog Day event and the titular grubhog going missing due to Sprig and Anne rather having fun on the carnival rides, there was some fun stuff with the puppet lie and I'm also glad it ended on a good and positive note once the truth got out instead of a downer (which it seemed like); I really liked the town turning the lie around and making it a new replacement event for the usual grubhog ceremony was nice and the ending joke with the grubhog was very funny and made much of the episode for me).

    'Hop Pop And Lock' was rather decent. The plot with Hop Pop entering a dance competition to get to Sylvia Sundew before his rival does pretty standard old folk rivalry episode (kinda felt like 'Lady Bouvier's Lover') but it had a lot of nice humor (like Anne teaching Hop Pop to dance which was possibly the highlight) and the twist was satisfying. Maybe an unremarkable episode that I don't have much to say about (maybe other than expanding the Sundew family to three generations which is cool) but okay nonetheless.

    'Civil Wart' was a nice one with the town spliting into two shipping camps over Anne's romance movie and Anne & Hop Pop in the middle trying to solve it. Liked how Sprig being upset having to sacrifice so much for his little sister Polly was the basis of the conflict (and him doing the right thing and stopping the fighting). Decent episode (however Anne gloating about being an only child to Sprig instead of trying to be nice and understanding to him at the beginning didn't feel right; I wonder if she will learn to be more humble).

    'Hop-Popular' was okay. I liked seeing Hop Pop stepping up and having the people on his side he runs for mayor against Toadstool and actually doing great in all the parts of the challenge (which seemed to be the main thing as opposed to votes), but twist of whom the winner was in the end (involving campaigning across the valley) felt pretty cheap and made the conflict essentially pointess (and why would Toadstool even have to try bribe Hop Pop?), though it was nice to see that Hop Pop was still happy and having the townsfolk support him.

    'Croak And Punishment' was okay at best. The mystery of with the shell Sprig was gonna give to Ivy disappearing and Anne taking inspiration from a cop show for when she helps Sprig search was nice and I liked the stuff with the mild-mannered frog who turns into an enraged Hulk-Frog when he gets angry though I saw the end twist about the true thief coming a mile away an Sprig went too far (I could certainly see the similarities with 'Yada Yada Berries' like @John95, especially with Sprig acting like an unlikeable violent lunatic like Star who threatens people and trashes stuff, but to Sprig's defense it was Anne who encouraged him to really step up his bad cop act).

    'Trip To The Archives' I liked the concept of and the plot itself with the gang getting trapped there was nice but it was kinda soured for me with Sprig being this obnoxious little jerkass who traped them all there on puprose just to give them an adventure. I liked most of what followed (like Anne being 1/3rd stuck in the hole) and there was some good jokes (the one with Sprig coming out of the toilet in Felicia Sundew's restaurant right as she was gonna use it was a good one, as was the following bit with Hop Pop and Polly also having come out of there) but I would definitely not have the conflict be due to Sprig being a jerk. It could have worked so well without that and then it could've even been a great episode.

    'Snow Day' was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the premise with the Hiber Day which flash freezes all the frogs into thick blocks of ice and turns the whole land into a snow land within a second and Anne staying around to guard them, but eventually getting restless and bored. Her thawing out Sprig (who acts as if he's drugged due to the cold) lent itself to a lot of humor and also them playing around with the frozen bodies did too, the bit with the snow weasel (or rather ermine as it realy was) was neat and the end was too (ending on a nice capper joke).

    'Cracking Mrs. Croaker' was okay at best but probably one of the weaker episodes. I guess the plot of Sprig wanting to find out why Mrs. Croaker dislikes, ignores and shuns him at every occasion and going too far was okay but maybe I'm alone here but there is something about these kind of "character A is irrationally disliked and shunned by character B for some inexplicable reason and decides to find out why and B's dislike/hate ultimately turning out to be because of some shallow, petty and dumb reason(s) that is barely an explanation and makes them look like a dick" stories that really annoys me (and here it made no sense as Croaker has been shown to like him just fine before), though I liked the backstory on Croaker and the stuff with Jonah was solid, as was the ending with Croaker having to try and warm up to Sprig.

    'A Night At The Inn' was a good one and maybe my favorite of these. Really liked the inn plot with the two nice horned toads who run the very cozy inn maybe hiding something and the spookiness, the action was pretty good towards the end (that part with the baking soda and vinegar was so good) and furthermore it was also nice to get some focus on Polly who became of the of the main protagonists here. The end with all of them returning home and sleep in Hop Pops big bed was also pretty sweet and amusing.

    'Wally And Anne' was pretty solid overall. I liked the major focus on One-Eyed Wally whom follows Anne on her quest to prove that the mysterious Moss Man is real. Many nice moments and banter between the two and Anne warming up to him was nice. The ending with her missing her chance to take a picture of the Moss Man since she saves him and the two still being satisfied though they're seen as loonies was nice and I liked the capper with Anne messing around with the Plantars with her "crazy" persona. The Moss Man was intriguing (and I wonder if he'll be important soon; might he have something to do with the still missing Marcy, maybe?).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.

  18. #18
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    @CousinMerl, The bits about them coming out of the toilets were the only gags I liked in Trip to the Archives ("I've seen things!" was brilliant).

    When it comes to Cracking Mrs. Croaker, it's a mixed bag in terms of it's overall plot and when it does and doesn't work. This was more of a 50/50 one. Honestly the best part about the episode for me were Anne & Polly's aside comments about how ridiculous the whole thing was. If you want a worse example of this kind of story, watch the Recess episode Nobody Likes TJ.

    My theory about the moss man is that it is indeed Marcy, with the reason why she's acting the way she is is that she might have amnesia and doesn't remember who/what she is. I was even expecting it to be half revealed here.

  19. #19
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    As I hinted to I too am wondering if the Moss Man is Marcy (and if it's sort of an intended persona or disguise she has created or just by accident due to amnesia or otherwise).

    With episodes like 'Trip To The Archives' it seriously feels like they are backpedaling on Sprig's characterization to make him even more irresponsible and jerkish instead of progressing it by making him learn and become more responsible and less conceited (which I thought was supposed to be the point from the start). I hope there will be a course correction with that soon.

  20. #20
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I guess the plot of Sprig wanting to find out why Mrs. Croaker dislikes, ignores and shuns him at every occasion and going too far was okay but maybe I'm alone here but there is something about these kind of "character A is irrationally disliked and shunned by character B for some inexplicable reason and decides to find out why and B's dislike/hate ultimately turning out to be because of some shallow, petty and dumb reason(s) that is barely an explanation and makes them look like a dick" stories that really annoys me
    There's some cases I can enjoy this kind of story but here I didn't. I find this episode just above average since there's something that really bugs me with Sprig's behavior in this one. He's really unsympathetic here and the fact it was for some shallow reason made Sprig's quest a lot pointless to me, which I would be fine with if he wasn't annoying. And also, the fact he got what he wanted with Mrs. Croaker giving him a chance, while he broke into her house, watched her personal stuff and almost killed her because of that, and just to be liked by everyone in town (which is strange when you see how far he can go to begin with), plus the facts he gloats over it, that bugged me as well. Overall I think it's one of the weakest ones despite some good jokes here and there.

    I'll talk about some of the others episodes later, I just wanted to add my two cents about this one.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 07-11-2019 at 12:51 AM.

  21. #21
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    Well, I just finished up today's episodes which pretty much accurately summed up this week's offering of episodes as a whole being very hit and miss.

    Family Fishing Trip was on-par with the first two Sprig episodes from Monday, and when it got to the point where I knew it wasn't gonna get better I had to pause it for at least a minute as I was seriously considering just skipping past the rest of the episode I as I was in no mood for another one of these kind of episodes about him acting this way, and his overall punishment amounting to basically a small slap on the wrist. Once again, the best part about it were the aside bits with Anne & Polly.

    Bizarre Bazaar was better, but at the same time slightly disappointing as the synopsis made it sound like we'd learn more about the box then we did in the episode. But at least it's placement in this episode didn't feel shoehorned in like in Anne vs. Wild, and I also enjoyed the references to Mario Kart though which make sense once you see the episode, especially the way they sneak in a reference to the infamous blue shell.


    So yeah, very hit and miss week for the show as I already said. All the best episodes were the ones were the non-Sprig ones while the ones about him were mostly bad with at least one easily ranking as one of the show's worst so far. In fact, because of these episodes I'd go as far as to say that Sprig is probably my least favorite character in the show currently! Sure, Toadstool isn't very likable either, but at least his jerkiness is intentional whereas episodes like Trip to the Archives and Family Fishing Trip just make Sprig look Unintentionally Unsympathetic.

  22. #22
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    Last week for Season 1 has begun and I just got done with today's offering. This was more of a standard fare of one good and the other not as much, which automatically is a better start then last week's back-to-back weak offering.

    Cursed! was OK, but much like most of the other episodes I don't care for it suffers from being blatantly predictable with it's Captain Obvious Reveal. And while it's not as bad as Taking Charge and Croak and Punishment, it's still takes a little too long to get to the twist which in this episode is pretty much telegraphed within the very first second that it's setup. That said, I would take it over most of the Sprig centric episodes from last week since this one actually portrays him in a way that you can get behind.

    Fiddle Me This was probably the best Sprig episode in awhile (Cracking Mrs. Croaker was more of a 50/50 episode, but I understand why people wouldn't like it) and a good bonding episode for him and Hop Pop.

    There's a few specifics about the episodes I wanna mention but I'll wait until the others have seen them so as not to spoil.

  23. #23
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    Watched some more episodes today and posting my thoughts. Some spoilers to follow down below so if you haven't seen them yet you can skip my post.

    'Family Fishing Trip' was meh. I liked the concept of the Plantar's going on their traditional fishing trip and it was nice to see Sylvia return (good to see them keeping up with the fact that she is Hop Pop's girlfriend now), though I didn't like Sprig being a selfish jerk who tries to get rid off Sylvia because he thinks she's ruining the trip; I thought he was gonna change as she was leaving openings for him to admit his feelings, but then he got worse and almost had her killed a giant swamp crab. Of course he gets better, helps her out of trouble and apologizes but it does feel like he should've owed up more. Subplot with Anne trying parasailing was the best part (maybe the most interesting thing about the ep was we learning her mother doesn't speak english and only thai, which was kinda unexpected).

    'Bizarre Bazaar' was a pretty good one. had an very interesting and fun premise of Anne and Sprig going to the mysterious, secret bazaar and even though the reason of them going there, being Anne wanting to learn more about the music box, not really leading anywhere there was still a lot of fun stuff here; alway like seeing the world of Amphibia getting expanded, like here with the Bizarre Bazaar and those who are part of it. The shopkeeper Valeriana was intriguing (and if I'm not mistaken she was the first prominent non-human, non-amphibian character we've seen, being a lizard). Anne having to try win her backpack with the box back in an beetle-riding race (with some heavy Mario Kart vibes, down to the blue shell) was fun and the twist was funny (and the ending with Hop Pop and the box was interesting).

    'Cursed!' was kinda fun (despite it eventually getting a little predictable). Really enjoyed to have an episode focused around Maddie and her relationship with Sprig and the set up with Anne helping him break up with her and then both of them suffering from a curse each was a good one overall; it was a kinda fun idea seeing them turn into the Lorax and Big Bird (of sorts) and Maddie helping them out (as she wasn't the one who cursed them) I really liked (and the lesson to not judge people by their looks, like Sprig and Anne did with her). As said, it was eventually a little predictable who cursed them (I guess we found someone in this world who's worse than Toadstool) but I liked Maddie and him battling it out and her setting things right. Good character development for her.

    'Fiddle Me This' was a fairly strong episode, maybe the best one of these. Plot was simple and straightforward with Hop Pop making Sprig enter the town talent show with his fiddle skills only to try set him on a better path and making him successful, being obsessive with the training and the workouts (it reminded me of The Loud House's 'Future Tense'). Nice finale that avoided getting mean or cynical with Sprig actually doing a greatjob on stage, the family and Anne working together to save him from the giant bat that took him (and Polly saving the day with her supersonic singing), Sprig and Hop Pop sharing an bonding scene and them winning first price. Also nice end gag with Toadstool being a sore loser and launching the two salamander judges away.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-17-2019 at 08:16 AM.

  24. #24
    Pin Pal
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Laredo, TX
    Posts
    547
    Blog Entries
    1


    I seen a few episodes and it doesn’t interest me one bit. The concept is original and all but the execution ended being dull IMO.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

    Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

    American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

    The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

    Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

    Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

  25. #25
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    I haven't posted here in a while so I'll make quick comments about the episodes I didn't reviewed yet.

    Grubhog Day : Decent. I was worried about some points of the plot, but it subverted my expectations from time to time. Sprig is likeable here, it has some funny parts (- In my world we call this a win-win. - We call this a win-win here too.) and I enjoyed the ending.

    Hop Pop And Lock : Boy I laughed so hard with Hop-Pop personal dance. Other than that, nothing really special but still a good episode, with nice bits like the ending showing that Silvia truly has a place in her heart for the weird ones. I liked seeing Anne teaching Hop-Pop how to dance.

    Civil Wart : The whole concept is very funny to me (silly but I love it that way; and nice explanation at the end) and the writers did have plenty of material with it. I also enjoy the fact it deepens the relationship between Sprig and Polly. A very good one.

    Hop-Popular : I like this one as much as the previous one. Sure the ending is a frustrating status quo (although there's a reason behind this that I liked; also, I guess Toadstool tried to bribe Hop-Pop at first because he didn't know Hop-Pop didn't know the whole valley has an influence on the results) but nothing that bothered me that much. It was nice to see Hop-Pop cheered by the people of Wartwood; especially after what happened in Plantar's Last Stand.

    Croak And Punishment : I forgive Sprig for being a jerk in this one because it's mostly because of Anne, since she teached him the concept of "good cop and bad cop" and she pushed him to his limit by reminding him someone stole his shell and the potential consequences of that. Nothing special about this episode though, but I had some laughs here and there. Decent.

    Trip To The Archives : I found this one a lot entertaining but Sprig sure was a problem in it. Not at his worst though, since he didn't had that much of malicious intentions (he just thinked adventure is more useful than knowledge for the quest, and he tried to show it, by doing something more stupid than really malicious), but still a bit annoying. Otherwise, I still enjoyed this episode. And the fact Anne takes the quest way more seriously when it comes to learning is nice.

    Snow Day : One of my favorites so far, a very good episode with a solid plot about the mysterious disappearance of one person from Wartwood each snow day, and Anne having to keep an eye on them for this one. There's also a lot of enjoyment since the humor is pretty top-notch (the final gag made me laugh out loud).

    Cracking Mrs. Croaker : I already talked about this one. Sprig is an obnoxious jerk in it, and that's mostly what kills the episode. At least, in Trip to the Archives and Croak and Punishment, he learns something at the end. Here he just gets what he wanted despite all he did and learns nothing. Still okay at best but could have been much better.

    A Night At The Inn : Not only it's a good way to give the spotlight to Polly, it's also a fairly enjoyable and spooky episode about a mysterious inn that's actually owned by people who eats the poor guests. I loved how suggestive the shot with all the snails without their owners is; a surprisingly dark scene for such an animated show and that's a part of why I really liked it.

    Wally And Anne : Pretty nice one. There's such a good bonding between Anne and Wally and I really enjoyed how this episode teaches it doesn't matter what some people may think of you. On the other hand, it's a bit mean-spirited regarding how the other people of Wartwood, even the Plantars, treats Anne and Wally. I liked the mystery around that Moss Man too (that shows the true potential of the show when it comes to fantasy stuff), hope he'll come back later.

    Family Fishing Trip : Yeah that's another episode a bit ruined by Sprig's behavior. At first I didn't mind it since he had a reason to do this (he's just a kid who has a tradition with his grandfather and he fears to lose it and to never share anything with him again), but he gone too far at the end and that's unpleasant (though his creepy smile made me laugh, I admit). Too bad since it's kinda nice to see him as a younger child and his song is touching. Okay at best.

    Bizarre Bazaar : A very enjoyable episode about a mysterious bazaar full of strange stuff, from the people to the activities. Lot of creativity in it. Even if Anne learns nothing more about her music box, that's still interesting in some points (the shopkeeper Valeriana, Hop-Pop burying the box), and the creative stuff all around is too good and too intriguing to ignore it. The Mario Kart-like beetle-riding race (goddamn blue shell) is pretty awesome.

    Cursed! : Okay this one is totally predictable but there's also a whole lot of fun in it. The curse itself in an opened door for a lot of good jokes (especially for Anne) and I liked how it developed Maddie's character; seeing her teaming up with Sprig and Anne was neat. Also a good lesson about not judging people by their look (the cover is not the book, after all).

    Fiddle Me This : For some reason I thinked about a mix between Future Tense from The Loud House and The Great Snail Race from SpongeBob SquarePants. Hop-Pop goes a bit overboard with Sprig's training, but he does this for a very good reason since he's worried about his future, and therefore, it was enjoyable. Also a pretty funny episode (with possibly one of the funniest dark jokes I've ever seen in a Disney animated show : "Can't you see I'm trying to pass out ?"). I also liked the two salamander judges willingly stereotyped (- Hello there ! - I know, right ?).

    The Big Bugball Game : Basically the Net Gains from The Loud House of Amphibia. The plot is simple yet very nice, teaching to Anne the benefits of teaming up. And the bugball game itself is very entertaining. Not to mention some hilarious reactions throughout the whole episode (Hop-Pop during Anne's blind training).

    Combat Camp : Another very entertaining episode. From start to end (with Hop-Pop leaning on the fourth wall twice), from the training of Anne, Sprig and Polly to the train robbery as a part of the "test", the whole episode is a lot enjoyable. And it also teaches to Anne that she has a great potential in her, and she have to let it out; in school like in adventure.

  26. #26
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    I must say that looking at the episodes watched overall, this show has so far been pretty even for me with that it has very few episodes that I'd outright say are no good or bad; even most of the more meh episodes still have some interesting and/or funny stuff that I liked.

    Haven't seen the latest episodes yet (T'he Big Bugball Game and on'). Will post again after I have.

  27. #27
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    Yeah, so far there isn't any episode I truly disliked. The less good ones (Taking Charge, Cracking Mrs. Croaker, Family Fishing Trip) were just average to me, and there's some qualities that remains in each of them. Even if this show isn't outstanding, it's consistent and overall pretty nice.

  28. #28
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,350


    @CousinMerl & @Wile E. the Brain, What killed me the most with Family Fishing Trip (and part of why I considered just skipping the rest of the episode) was the moment where Sprig actually considered what he was doing was wrong... Only to backpedal for the sake of a stupid joke which just makes his Easily Forgiven moment at the end feel even more egregious and undeserved!

    Anyways, just got done with the finale. I won't go into specifics yet but it does make me anticipate whenever Season 2 comes out.

    That said, I got back to what I said before about the show's airing schedule being just awful with four episodes a week resulting in the season wrapping in about a month. A lot of the events that transpired throughout the season more then likely would've had more impact had the series aired on either the traditional one episode a week format (even Hop Pop's two adventures a week line in Combat Camp lampshades the likeliness that the crew was expecting the series to be aired as such) or at least two episodes a week and no more. Hopefully, Disney will have learned their lesson by the time Season 2 rolls out, or at the very least limit the episodes they air in a week to just two like they did earlier this year with Star vs. the Forces of Evil and Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.

    As for this week's offering of episodes, it was mostly solid. The only one I didn't really care for was Cursed! mainly for how predictable it was, but at least it wasn't anywhere close to the majority of the Sprig episodes from last week.

    And as for the specifics from Cursed! and Fiddle Me This that I was waiting to mention:
    * Anne's head when she was cursed reminded me an awful lot of Big Bird with how it was designed.
    * As someone who doesn't really like Toadstool very much (which I know is supposed to be the point), it was very satisfying to see him being catapulted into the air in Fiddle Me This. But him being able to do it to the judges at the end... Not so much.

    Also Wile, I don't think the moss man is a "He" at all but rather Marcy after getting struck with amnesia which for me would explain why it acts both humanistic and animalistic with walking on it's legs sometimes and on all fours other times.

  29. #29
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    832


    Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    [MENTION=17229]Also Wile, I don't think the moss man is a "He" at all but rather Marcy after getting struck with amnesia which for me would explain why it acts both humanistic and animalistic with walking on it's legs sometimes and on all fours other times.
    Yeah, I saw your theory about the moss man being Marcy. It's an interesting theory, I didn't thinked about it while watching the episode, but that could be a nice explanation about what she became in Amphibia, separated from Anne and Sasha. But whatever (or whoever) the moss man is, I hope he'll come back in the next season and will be developed.

    I'll watch the finale likely tomorrow, I'm excited for it. Also, once again I have to agree with you about the show's airing schedule; I already said why it bothers me earlier.

  30. #30
    new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    9,095


    @John95 & @Wile E. the Brain, like I lastly said in my brief take on the "Wally And Anne' episode I most certainly suspect if the moss man has something to do with Marcy, maybe it if is her. If it isn't her in disguise I'm wondering if he's still connected to her somehow, maybe as an ally of sorts. We'll find out eventually in the second season, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    And as for the specifics from Cursed! and Fiddle Me This that I was waiting to mention:
    * Anne's head when she was cursed reminded me an awful lot of Big Bird with how it was designed.
    * As someone who doesn't really like Toadstool very much (which I know is supposed to be the point), it was very satisfying to see him being catapulted into the air in Fiddle Me This. But him being able to do it to the judges at the end... Not so much.
    * Yeah, like I too said she definitely started resembling Big Bird (as Sprig was starting to look like the Lorax; as first I started comparing him to Oscar the Grouch with the eyebrows and furry face but then his hair kept growing and coverd his entire body save the arms and the legs).

    * It's always satisfying seeing Toadstool getting crap thrown his way but I was kinda okay with that last joke even though was really mean and cruel. Still, those guys weren't even bad so in hindsight it really felt pointless and for the sake of being mean-spirited so looking back at it I like it much less now, if only because they didn't deserve it. Felt kinda bizarre to end it with Toadstool, whose brief part in the episode was a random rejection gag, getting back at them out of the blue.

    It feels like the writers want to get rid of Toadstool but still keeps him coming back (like, after his embezzlement scheme was revealed in 'Toad Toll' he was chased away by the angry townsfolk but then he was back in next episode, accepted and all, which was kinda jarring). Kinda feels like the status quo reset goes into effect here and there.

    And I definitely agree on that the release schedule of releasing it as a month-long bomb of sorts has been bad. Feels like it is the norm for non-adult sitcom animated shows to have really strange or crazy release shcedules with random bomb releases here and there and fairly long-to-excruciating hiatuses from time to time. Whatever happened to one or maybe two episodes a week with shorter breaks here and there?

    Still haven't seen those last episodes ('Bugball' and on) but will this weekend so see you after that.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-19-2019 at 03:28 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •