• 2/5

2 25.00%
  • 1/5

0 0%

Thread: R&R Family Guy "Switch The Flip"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R Family Guy "Switch The Flip"

Stewie and Brian switch bodies so Stewie can solve Brian's life issues, but it gets out of hand fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Stuff I liked
    Brandy responding to Brian asking why he sucks.
    Stewie's "Aww" to Brian's depressed look on the couch.
    "Help! She's trying to eat me!"
    Brian questioning Chris' desires for what he wants to do at 10:30 AM.
    Inconsistently smashed windshield chase (mainly for the visual aspect)
    Most of the scenes with who everybody in town swapped bodies with.

Stuff I didn't like
    Peter reading the manual, and for some weird reason Chris' reaction just kind of made it worse.
    Brian's phone call to Sharon.
    Everything involving Brandy's responses to Brian after The Hangover III bit.
    Peter performing the popcorn bucket trick on himself.
    Stewie at Disneyland.
    "Pay Attention"
    Eh... That bit with Mayor West kinda sucked. Hopefully his final appearance next week will be better.
    Showing Diane and Muriel's tombstones was pointless and only reminded me of how much it sucked that the former was killed off.
    I saw Brian ending up in Peter's body coming from a mile away.

Misc.
    Hello Rachael MacFarlane as Brandy. The whole time I just kept picturing Hayley as the one saying those lines.
    Maybe it's just me, but the reveal of the body swap device honestly has to be some of the show's worst CGI yet.
    I'm just going to assume that Hayley was also at that college since Rachael used her voice as one of the off-screen students.
    And... We're back to Meg having no lines again... Though maybe Mila Kunis starting in the Bad Moms movies might be the reason why Meg didn't have too many speaking parts this season.

Well, just like last week this episode was another slight disappointment to the point where I don't really wanna talk anymore about it other than the fact that the ending with Brian ending up in Peter's body for some reason came across to me as a massive "Fuck you!" besides already being pretty predictable. Though I will say this episode as a whole was slightly better than last week's.

Once again, a 2.5/5 rounded down to a 2 for the poll. I would've rounded it up to a 3 had it not been for those last 10 seconds.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: TBD An Irish Goodbye: TBD Stompe le Monde: TBD

I thought it was pretty decent. Futurama did the concept a lot better - hell, they even created a mathematical formula out of it - but Family Guy's take made for some funny moments. Brian ending up in Peter's body was a pretty obvious "twist" I guess, but it still worked for me. Highlights for me included Peter and the popcorn, Quagmire realising Peter and Stewie switched bodies (and not really being interested in the situation), Brian acting like a dog, Stewie's failed lecture, the 10:30 AM conversation, and most of the switched body banter.

Definitely some clunkers in the joke department, though. Peter reading the manual was another one of the show's bad attempts at mundane observational humour. The windshield joke is another gag I felt was ruined by explaining it beforehand; they've overused that approach this season. Beyond that, the Brandy stuff kind of dragged, and it took a bit longer than necessary to get to the plot.

I was fairly satisfied it, though. Maybe this season has lowered the bar for me and any halfway decent episode feels enjoyable, but I'll take it at face value, and say that I liked it well enough. It's not that memorable, but I felt more entertained and less disappointed than I have watching other episodes this season, so I'll give it a 3.5/5.
    A little less Generic than before.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Stuff I didn't like
    Showing Diane and Muriel's tombstones was pointless and only reminded me of how much it sucked that the former was killed off.

Misc.
    Hello Rachael MacFarlane as Brandy. The whole time I just kept picturing Hayley as the one saying those lines.
    At first, I thought it was Lori Alan as Brandy, but the more she talked, the more it sounded like a Rachel voice.

I still wonder why they killed off Diane - the fact that Alan hasn't been on the show since makes me think that, at least in part, it was her decision to leave. She gets raves in at least one of the commentaries, so I find it hard to believe that they told her, "Uh, we're killing your character off, and we're not bringing you back." Then again, that's probably how Maria Canals felt when she read the script for the Justice League episode where Hawkgirl was kicked out of the League.
    Then again, when was the last time Joyce Kinney spoke in an episode?

And we seem to be in two different minds about having Brian in Peter's body at the end. That's another thing they can stop teasing now.
    Still, they could have done far more with the "everybody in town switched bodies" part. Also, seeing Mayor West makes me wonder if that was Adam's last part.

With some of the things Family Guy has done over the years, like kill off Diane, I feel like they do it just to show they have the guts to change the status quo. Not necessarily a bad thing, but by the same token, not every decision they've made has been a good one, either.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Why didn't we see Joe in Consuela's body?

@That Don Guy, I believe the last time Joyce spoke was in Carter and Tricia which was about a year and a half ago. On a similar note, why'd they even bother having Jillian marry Derek if they were just gonna axe him off a year later? Well, I guess in theory the idea is fine if it means that Brian could finally have sex with Lois... Too bad they did it in a way they felt like a "Fuck you!". Also Mayor West will be appearing in next week's episode which will mark his final appearance.
    @Generic, As I said already, I would've given it a 3 for the poll had it not been for that "Fuck you!" of Brian being in Peter's body. Also pretty much in terms of what you said about not every decision they've made being a smart one. They killed off a more interesting character for one whose had even less impact (and appearances) nearly 8 years after her introduction than Diane has for the 11 years that she was on the show.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Blog Entries

Probably one of the outright funniest episodes the show has pulled off in a while. It's just a shame they left it unresolved. I mean, I know we're just supposed to naturally assume that Stewie eventually managed to put everything back to normal but this was really a concept that they should have done as an hour long episode to have as much fun as possible with the entire town being body swapped as well as having things reach a natural conclusion rather than ending on the note of Brian being in Peter's body so he could screw Lois. They probably could've done more with this even with a regular runtime had the Alexa stuff at the beginning not gone on as long as it had. 4/5
    How to remaster

Yeah, I think that this episode would've worked better if it was more like Follow the Money in regards to following many characters and doing the whole swapped bodies thing for a whole episode.

A shorter setup could've definitely left time for more amusing shenanigans after everyone got switched. It didn't have to take that long for the first switch to happen, and kick off the main plot.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Yeah this was hilarious. One of the best this season. Obviously not every joke worked, but it had me laughing throughout. I'm sure they had a lot of fun writing this one. (I think my favorite joke was the 10:30 a.m. bit).

I didn't even know the commercial that "muncha buncha fritos" was from, but I lol'd nonetheless.

Sometimes the gimmicky episodes don't work well, but this was a gimmick that was pretty much guaranteed to be funny.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    The windshield joke is another gag I felt was ruined by explaining it beforehand; they've overused that approach this season.
    I've been thinking some more about this, especially as I've caught a few older episodes this week and noticed the same setup of explaining the joke and then doing the gag anyway without any twist or anything. The more I've thought back on older episodes, the more I've realised it's very much one of the show's staple gags, so it's strange that it's sticking out and bothering me so much this season. Maybe they are using it a bit more, maybe there's less variation, or maybe I've just found previous jokes of that nature funnier, but now that I've noticed it, it's definitely distracting.

I've been thinking some more about this, especially as I've caught a few older episodes this week and noticed the same setup of explaining the joke and then doing the gag anyway without any twist or anything. The more I've thought back on older episodes, the more I've realised it's very much one of the show's staple gags, so it's strange that it's sticking out and bothering me so much this season. Maybe they are using it a bit more, maybe there's less variation, or maybe I've just found previous jokes of that nature funnier, but now that I've noticed it, it's definitely distracting.
    I can't remember them doing this gag at all in the really early seasons, or even when the show came back. I associate this bit with the HD era because every episode these days has this joke multiple times. I hate it because like you said, there's no twist to it at all and they play it straight every time. I don't get what the humor is in Peter saying he's about to painstakingly order a hot dog at a baseball game, and then we watch him struggle to order a hot dog at the game.

There was a joke in "Herpe the Love Sore" about Peter opening a can of spinach like Popeye but he can't do it because he cuts himself and he's realistically struggling to open it. If they made the episode now, Peter would say "Let me try and fail to open this can of spinach in realistic detail."

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

This really pisses me off too. Instead of explaining the joke and then do it, what is the point?!! If you explain the joke, there is no joke!!! If you just do the joke it'll work where it is funny or not. Remember when Brian says I'm just going to lie down on the sofa and sigh. Than he does. What was the point? Another example of bad writing. Just do the joke. Don't tell it than do it. A great example of bad comedy.

Good to know it's just me. The joke could possibly work if used sparingly and in the right situation, but it's become a bad, telegraphed setup for them.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

This was the most constant funniest episode in the season since the first half of the season (the second half has been hit or miss in the humor department especially after it came back from the unnecessary 2 month long hiatus). It's from the same writer and director team as Follow the Money, so they've done more on the recurring characters causing mayhem in another body. I find it awkward they didn't do with Meg, but like John95 said, Mila Kunis has been too busy to doing voice roles (I'm sure Meg will speak more in the next season, since Mila did attended something FG-related back in January).

The only jokes that missed are Mayor West's appearance (eh, I hate it when characters announce commercial break because I knew they would go straight to commercials whenever this joke happens), the manual gag was iffy, and the whole thing with other Rachael MacFarlane character going after Stewie in Brian's body (can we have other female voice actors besides Alex and Rachael, casting director?) I didn't thought the end was funny but I didn't think it was predictable either (I wasn't excepting Brian at all, it was an awkward twist). This gets a 9/10 for me. Surprised that every time NoHomers have a very positive reception on a Family Guy, I always end up missing the episode on the first air date (such as Lot Goin' on Upstairs and the aforementioned Follow the Money). I give this one a 9/10.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    (I'm sure Meg will speak more in the next season, since Mila did attended something FG-related back in January).
    I hate to be that guy but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've since found out that she's starring in another movie that's coming out in August called The Spy Who Dumped Me, so I wouldn't be surprised if next season continues the multi-episode string of Meg having no lines...

This was better than Family Guy thru the years. Brian ending up in Peters' body?! I didn't see that coming. I didn't like it. I did enjoy Rachel (Seths' sister) as the voice of Brandy and telling Brian off . I would have loved to see Meg in Connies' body and vice versa. Overall, I give it 3.5.

Blog Entries

just watched it for some entertainment while eating and hey that was actually not half-bad, surprised how creative it got
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I actually caught this episode last week on FXX and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it this time. I don't think I ever disliked it, but now, I'm definitely thinking it was one of the best episodes of season 16. It reminded me a little bit of episodes like "Road to the Multiverse" and "Back to the Pilot," where the science fiction stuff just gets even more bizarre as the episode goes on and you just want to see what happens next. I think the episode went into another gear after the body switching was introduced. There were a lot of great moments that came from the episode (Stewie failing as a poetry professor, Peter's mirror dance, Quagmire figuring out that everyone switched bodies, Ida and Jerome switching bodies, Stewie trying to imitate Peter, Brian and Chris' back-and-forths, Brian somehow ending up in Peter's body). I think this might end up getting overlooked as the years go by and the show continues to get worse.

Actually, I think this might be one of the few things I like about the modern seasons: Them constantly making references to old catchphrases and mannerisms. It really got me when Stewie was in Peter's body and he said "Freakin' sweet," as if that's something Peter has actually said in the last fifteen years. It borders on the characters being aware of themselves too much, but a lot of the time when they do this, it's so ridiculous, I laugh at it anyway. Like in "The Finer Strings" when Lois tried imitating Peter by saying "Shipoopi" or in "Bri, Robot" when Stewie programmed Brian's robot to constantly say "Ass ahoy" like that was a classic quote. 4/5

Thread Information