Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Yeah I like hearing the podcasts for time to time. They're pleasant extras for the fans. My favorite must be Leni's one (I definitely love her sweet nature and Liliana Mumy's performance).

As usual I will post my reviews for the new episodes at the end of the bunch. Speaking of Everybody Loves Leni, I'm glad Sheela Shrinivas is back as a staff writer for the show.

@Wile E. the Brain, I think my favorites of the podcasts has to be Luan's, Lana's, Lucy's & Rita's. Do you think the podcast are canon or not? If they are, I think they could be considered breaking the fourth wall since the host characters address us, the listeners, like Lincoln does in the series from time to time?

By the way, haven't seen the new episodes yet since I'm waiting to once they are all available so I can in one go.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.

@CousinMerl, I don't know. It seems there's nothing in the podcasts that actually proves they're canon to the show or not. Though Luna's podcast contradicts her backstory in For Bros About to Rock. About the fourth wall, it's a possibility since Lincoln is not the only one able to break it, as we could see in some episodes (Lola in A Tattler's Tale, Lori in Selfie Improvement, Ronnie Anne in Relative Chaos, etc.).

I've finished the latest four episodes and I really liked all of these.

'Everybody Loves Leni' was a very nice episode; not great but likeable and sweet, mostly all due to Leni and her good heart and attempts at bringing her friends together. It had some amusing bits and an nice ending where they all came together as a group, though it wasn't all too engaging and a little messy, the enmity between the friends felt kinda forced and it felt a little off seeing Leni this competent and focused and not at all like her usual loveably dumb simpleton self (which was made me like the character as it's a clear part of her charm) but I did like and enjoy it; probably my least fav of these, though (but only by default).

'Middle Men' was one I didn't expect much from but it was pleasant surprise. Really good Linc & Clyde episode which put them in an new surrounding and had Lynn supporting and helping them (really liked all the bits where she interacted with them as she teached them to be tough like her. The plot was nice and I really liked the plot twist at the end, but my favorite aspect of all was Lynn getting character development (!) which was just what she needed and what I was hoping; loved getting to know the backstory of why she is so abrasive and aggressive. Pretty solid stuff all in all (and with the Lynn element really suprisingly so).

'Jeers For Fears' I really liked a lot too, even more than 'Middle'. As a Linc & Clyde episode (again) it was all good stuff with them trying to toughen up before going to the haunted house attraction, getting assistance from the sisters (and especially Lucy as the coach who tries her best to get them to not be scaredy cats) and even from Bobby who showed up again to help (really liked these three together); liked how diverse it was. Animation wise this was really impressive and good looking and the climax with the twist and the turn was all good (and I liked the two actually becoming friends with Chandler which was a surprise). Neat Halloween ep.

'Tea Tale Heart', gosh, this was by far my favorite. Simple but well realized plot about Lola borrowing Lucy's antique doll and all the hijinx once she ruins it, including some really funny stuff with her fooling around with trying to repair it and get rid of it & a bit of spookiness as it has a strange ability to return. Lola is a riot here (great performance by Grey Griffin), has some great interactions (including with Flip of all people) & the emotional moment where she confesses to Lucy was sweet (and that twist with Lana's reveal was topping of the cake; then there's a nice end gag with the doll scaring toughie Lynn). Lola episodes tend to deliver and this was no exception; maybe one of my favorites of the series.

One of the best episode bombs as of recently, I'd say. Very enjoyable.

So after seeing the four newest episodes, my rankings ultimately line up with how everyone else expected them to rank:

1. Tea Tale Heart
    2. Everybody Loves Leni
    3. Jeers for Fears
    4. Middle Men

The first two were good while the other two were simply OK, though I'll say that Jeers for Fears subverted past my expectations somewhat in the fact that it was a mostly Lincoln/Clyde episode that was better than one that also involved one of the sisters.

Some random comments I had about the episodes:
    -While I thought that Middle Men was a better episode for Lynn's character than Sitting Bull, the former as a whole ended up being a worse episode. This mostly being due to it's second half with how Lincoln & Clyde get themselves set up to be potentially beaten up (the second instance being the most forced/egregious as it results from the teacher honestly being pretty lousy at his job) only for it to instead turn into an Easily Forgiven scenario that I've seen too many times on shows like American Dad! (though at least this show doesn't have a main cast mostly consisting of psychopathic/narcissistic monsters who should never be forgiven for the atrocities they commit) thus making it an even bigger copout than The Mad Scientist's ending.
    -The doll in Tea Tall Heart reminded me a lot of the one from the Bride of the Living Dummy episode of Goosebumps. And considering how this series has previously shown us a ventriloquist dummy with a mind of it's own, I honestly wouldn't have put it past them to reveal at the end that the doll was in fact alive. So my expectations were subverted to learn that it came back because Lana kept finding it.

Also @CousinMerl I finally started listening to the podcast, I'm about six or seven episodes in so far with Lori and Lola's being my favorites of the ones I've heard. And in regards to your question of if they're canon or not, I'd say it all comes down to it being up to the listener to decide, though I'm unsure where I'd put myself yet. I do like however that some things mentioned in the podcast are brought up in episodes like some of the details of Lori & Bobby's first date lining up to the ones mentioned in Missed Connection (Bobby giving Lori brownies and the location of their first date).
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 3/5

I think this was one of the best episode bombs in a while (oh, and I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on them as well, @Wile E. the Brain).

@John95, good to hear your feelings on the podcasts (keep listening to them; I actually liked the later ones better as they feel more diverse).

Also, I liked about 'Middle Men' more than you as I think the bits with Linc & Clyde worked pretty well even when Lynn wasn't involved (I did get worried that it was gonna derail once they started having back luck due to Lynn's tips but the end twist with the older kids saved it, even aside from Lynn and her reveal); also, it is an exaggerated series so moments like the teacher's misunderstanding didn't bother me. Odd that you didn't like 'Jeers For Fear' more; I think that was one of the better episodes with Clyde and I liked how diverse it was as said (would really like an episode that team up Clyde and Bobby now; seems like the former doesn't have it in for the latter anymore which is interesting).

By the way, I've noticed that you often come across as a kinda harsh and cynical towards the show as you often state that you feel pretty meh/ok even towards episodes that are generally considered really good or great by fans (or even being outright let down/disappointed in some cases). Is it because you have high standards in general or is it something else? I'm not criticizing you at all. Just wondering why you sometimes seem so critical.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-16-2018 at 09:44 AM.

@CousinMerl, I guess that's just accidental because I don't mean to be super harsh to the show (or at least I don't feel like I am), and I don't really keep up to date with how every episode is viewed by fans so I don't know fully which ones are considered the most popular and if they're the ones I feel meh/OK at best about. Just to clarify, looking at all the episodes that've aired so far I'd say that I like 80-85% of them.

I'm hoping that this isn't viewed as me not being allowed to be as critical of a show like this the same way I am for some of the other shows that I provide my thoughts for on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    My final rankings for the four looks like this: Tea Tale Heart>Jeers For Fears>Middle Men>Everybody Loves Leni. It's probably just me who thinks this was one of the best episode bombs in a while, but oh well (oh, and I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on them as well, @Wile E. the Brain).
    I haven't seen Tea Tale Heart yet (I don't find it on the sites I usually go). When I would have seen it, I will post my thoughts, but currently, I really liked all the episodes of the bomb I've seen (especially Everybody Loves Leni), so if Tea Tale Heart is also an excellent one, I can confirm it's one of the best bombs in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    I'm hoping that this isn't viewed as me not being allowed to be as critical of a show like this the same way I am for some of the other shows that I provide my thoughts for on this site.
    You be as critical or not of all the shows and their episodes as you want to (including this one) and don't let my question change your mind; I just wanted to know why you sometime sound to a little negative/ambivalent towards this show. Also, while you do like a lot of the episodes you usually give your opinions on them in an more low key way and, while perfectly fine, I guess that's what might make me misinterpret (as I usually tend to sound more positive when stating my opinions on various episodes which seems to be my thing). In that case my mistake.

Speaking of the other shows your watch post reviews for (Family Guy, American Dad and modern The Simpsons) you really don't seem to enjoy those much at all since you commonly give them around a 0/5 to 2/5. Granted, of these three I only watch Simpsons and I tend to judge them on their own merits as modern era episodes as they are definitely inferior to the classic season and as for FG and AD they don't seem too good, at least not anymore, so I can understand your negative feelings towards them.

(Also have to comment your current avatar; the Ghoul School Scooby-Doo movie, right? Seems like that one is quite popular on some sites. I assume it's your drawing?)

And @Wile E. the Brain, hope you'll get to watch 'Tea Tale Heart' soon as I think it's a great one (my favorite of the four). Also, you guys seem to like the Leni ep more than I do.

I'm a little torn on Leni being way less ditzy, naive, absent minded and dumb than she usually is (and that she's a competent, steady store employee feels a little unbelievable; speaking of which, when are they gonna address how she can handle both a job and high school at the same time?). I think they dialed down some of her core personality traits a tad too much. Your feelings on this?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-16-2018 at 09:40 AM.

@CousinMerl, Well, in that case it also boils down to the fact that I often don't really find enough time to go in-depth to what I thought of the episodes, especially since when I post on here it's usually a few days after seeing them. Whereas whenever I do it on the FG and AD! threads I'm more in-depth because I'm typing out my thoughts on the episodes as I'm watching them.

And I don't want things to derail too much by going off topic but:

American Dad! is definitely not good anymore, to the point where I plan to stop keeping up with it regularly once it reaches it's 250th episode. Family Guy has actually been improving over the last few years, but hit a dry spot during the second half of last season. And in the case of both shows, on here low ratings for new episodes are pretty common usually around the 2/5 range.

And as for my avatar, yeah it's them and my drawing. Although here they're depicted as how they appeared in a recent crossover episode of O.K. KO. Though it's only a temporary one as I plan to change it out soon with another drawing that I recently finished.

Finally saw Tea Tale Heart, so there are my thoughts about this bomb.

As I said before, I really liked Everybody Loves Leni. Leni is definitely one of the sweetest and loveable characters I've ever seen, and this episode confirm it. I'm aware her friends act easily jealous against the others and it feel forced in that way, but it didn't really bothered me, I guess it's in a kind of The Loud House logic. It's a very nice episode, with some hilarious moments (the smoothie guy, Lincoln's intervention) and some others pretty touching. That's a part of the good heart of Leni, if the people she likes are not happy, she's not happy neither. Another great episode for whom is so close to become my favorite sister of all.

And to answer your question, Leni is surely less dumb than before, and I must admit I don't mind it, though it's of course a part of her charm, it's not totally which is make me like this character so much. And she keep a simpleton nature and some funny dumb moments from time to time, so I guess it's why I never thinked of it. And after all, there's more to her head than just air, haha.

Middle Men was a bit better than Sitting Bull. Finally, character development for Lynn, and very good development indeed. That's a nice explanation of her rough behavior, and it's just what she needed. And I liked the fact she's so supportive with Lincoln and Clyde, even if she's unaware her advices are questionable at first. In some way, this episode reminded me For Bros About to Rock (and since it's my favorite episode of all, it's kinda a compliment), with one of the sisters giving advices to Lincoln, and when it goes wrong, the revelation of her backstory and why she act the way she act. It's a very good episode, though I found the last moments a bit lazy to solve the problem. (Also, the Clincoln McCloud's card is hilarious.)

Jeers for Fears is certainly one of the strongest Lincoln and Clyde's episodes of the whole show. As I expected, there was a nice visual delirium, thanks to the great storyboard work of Miguel Puga and Diem Doan (and the animators, of course). The plot was solid and varied. I didn't expected seeing Chandler again, it was a surprise. And I loved the involvement of the sisters and Bobby. I always thinked despite the fact he tried to ruin his relationship with Lori, Clyde has a solid friendship with Bobby (the ending of A Fair to Remember), and it's nice to see them together again. Besides, Clyde actually act normal in front of Lori and even answer to her, it's good to see (maybe it's because he was under the fear, who knows). Very good and funny episode too.

And last but not least, Tea Tale Heart, which is my favorite of the bunch and one of my favorites of season 3. It's full of great lines ("Of course you're haunted, you belong to Lucy"), Lola have plenty of funny reactions towards the seemingly haunted doll. The plot is well written, able to handle the surreal stuff with an excellent explanation at the end (and a great end gag). And the bonding between Lola and Lucy is nice when the former confesses to the latter. Lola is not only a spoiled brat, she try to repair her faults towards Lucy's property and feel remorses about it. I always enjoy when they show a sweet part of her behavior. Great work for the first episode written by Sammie Crowley without her usual partner Whitney Wetta.

Definitely one of the best bombs in a while. And for my ranking : Tea Tale Heart > Everybody Loves Leni > Jeers For Fears > Middle Men
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 10-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.

@John95, I see your points there about how you rate and review the shows (and your answer to my avatar question is a surprise; didn't think a piece of modern animation would directly reference a semi-obscure piece of 80's animation like that).

Also, I want to clarify that you shouldn't go in depth when stating your opinions on the episodes if you don't want to; just say what you want, how much you want and how you feel like it just like before. I hope you didn't took anything I said the wrong way because I meant no disrespect. No hard feelings, I hope?

And @Wile E. the Brain, good to hear your take on the episodes (with both of you ranking ELL higher I wonder if my opinion on it will change on a rewatch). Now I wait for the next bunch, which I assume will be in November (hope we'll be seein 'Fowl Play' then since it's the one I look forward to the most, if only for the Loud and the Casagrande families meeting each other for the first time).

You guys heard anything about the upcoming schedule?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-16-2018 at 08:37 AM.

If I remember well, Miguel Puga said on Instagram Really Loud Music should be scheduled in November. I guess Fowl Play, as a Thanksgiving special, will be scheduled the same month. Can't wait to see both of them.

@CousinMerl, Yeah, it's all good.

Just want to add that I've been thinking over my ranking of the latest four and I think I'll move up 'Everybody Loves Leni above Middle Men', making it Tea Tale Heart > Jeers for Fears > Everybody Loves Leni > Middle Men.

I do think I was too hard on it because it's a pretty solid one all in all, just had to sink in a bit. Leni continues to be awesome and sweet as usual and the small issues I have with it are minor enough to dismiss; I do like these really hard down to earth plots that you can relate to (and I this one I think I can relate two as I seem to remember trying to bring two different friends together just like her). 'Middle Men', while being one I liked too, was probably the weakest one as it wobbled around in the second half and the end felt a little bit contrived like you guys said. I still do prefer 'Jeers For Fears' over 'Leni' since I thought that one was too much fun).

And I have to agree with @Wile E. the Brain that 'Tea Tale Heart' is one of the best of Season 3. I wonder if it will turn out to be my #1 of the season when it ends or if one of the following will dethrone it.

All the episodes of that bunch are at least very good in my opinion anyway. It's kinda by default I choosed Middle Men as the weakest.

Yep, I'm not sure about my ranking of the whole season currently, but Tea Tale Heart must be probably in the top 4 (with Fandom Pains, Gown and Out and Head Poet's Anxiety, too hard to rank them).

Very cool avatar by the way @CousinMerl. This Jordan Rosato drawing is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Very cool avatar by the way @CousinMerl. This Jordan Rosato drawing is awesome.
    She's a really good artist with a nice style (I almost wish she could do a promo pic like that for all the episodes).

I also belive she drew the pic I currently use for my signature pic (which I wish would be on an official T-shirt as I would like to get that one; speaking of Loud House t-shirts I think there should be a bunch of stylized ones released in a number of sizes much like other popular animated series).

She's a really good artist with a nice style (I almost wish she could do a promo pic like that for all the episodes).
    Agreed. One thing I really like with her and the episodes she board, I think she's one of the best to put details in her storyboards that makes the show's universe as full of life as possible, especially when the episodes imply the whole family.

You avatar is pretty neat too, @ Wile E. the Brain. 'Tricked!' is a good episode to pick one from in these Halloween times.

A few additional thoughts/musings on the latest episodes;

- I'm surprised they got away with that one scene in 'Everybody Loves Leni' where Lincoln doesn't wear pants and suggestively slaps his ass before leaving. I know that cartoons can get away with a lot these days but it's kind of a surprise that Nickelodeon let this one by.

- For those of you who've watched Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil, in 'Tea Tale Heart' Lola has a stuffed unicorn (Eunice) who looks surprisingly similar to a certain pony character in that series (also, someone pointed out that Lola opens doors like Star does by kicking them open).

On another topic (and a question that I don't think I've outright asked about before), what is your overall feelings on the art style and animation for the show? What do you think the appeal of it is? Might chime in with my thoughts in a bit.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-22-2018 at 05:02 AM.

You avatar is pretty neat too, @ Wile E. the Brain. 'Tricked!' is a good episode to pick one from in these Halloween times.
    Thanks ! And yeah, to be in the Halloween mood, this episode is perfect (it became one of the things I'll watch every Halloween, I think).

Yeah I was surprised by the butt slap but I guess it's not really surprising for a show who got away with a "lack of balls" joke, haha.

I really like the art style. That gave a "comic book" aspect which is full of charm, and it fits well to a show able to handle a "slice of life" aspect with some cartoon stuff. And it's very well executed, in the global aspect as in the details (onomatopoeias from time to time).

I dunno if I already mentioned it on here earlier, but I also really like the show's art style. Combine that with the animation being provided by Jam Filled Studios, and it sticks out compared to most of the other animated shows I'm currently watching as being the most lively (besides possibly The Simpsons which I believe does their animation in-house).

Though I did previously mention how they were originally gonna go full-on with the comics feel by giving it the two tone look seen in most comics, which yeah wouldn't have looked as good had they followed through.

By the way, @CousinMerl I believe you live in Australia right? Have they done any DVD releases for the show there yet? So far here in the US we've only gotten all of Season 1 which was released on two separate two-disc sets.

For me the art style is a great one. Usually I'm not a too big fan of really simplified art styles but this one is one of a few that really works for me and is very appealing; the comic strip designs are great and very easy to like with it's emphasis on fairly cartoonish bodies and enlarged eyes, a slightly slanted style and mostly rounded designs that aren't pointy or sharp and fits the show and it's comic strip theme perfectly (and the color palette is perfectly muted and not too bright).

The animation itself was a surprise to me; since it's flash I expected it to have that jarring stiff and choppy movements that is often seen in flash animation (and which somtimes makes the characters seem like articulated paper dolls) but this one sported a very slick style with a lot of dynamic movements, squashing & stretching and expressions that I didn't think flash could easily accomplish. The best looking flash series thus far.

@John95, Sweden, actually, and no The Loud House on DVD yet and I doubt it. There's a poor track record for non-sitcom animated series on DVD (Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc. has seen season releases) but occasionally there's been a few (such as the Avatar: The Last Airbender series). Seeing as I got the UK editions of the three Avatar seasons I have no issue with imports and it seems like the UK will see their first Loud House physical release with the exclusive 'The Loud House: A Very Loud Christmas' DVD very soon, containing a number of episodes:

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/0...o-release.html
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-24-2018 at 01:52 AM.

Seems like the remaining few Season 3 episodes are still listed as January premieres which not only feels a bit odd but which I doubt. The previous seasons finished in November-December so why would it be different now with a two and a half month hiatus? (Also, airing Fowl Play, a Thanksgiving episode, that late is just wierd).

I'm thinking the schedule will change and there will be episodes next month.

I'll be very surprised if the schedule for January is definitive. Nickelodeon has a special Thanksgiving month (Nicksgiving) so it would be a little dumb if Fowl Play isn't broadcast during this month.

We've seen for awhile now that sometimes the listings tend to be temporary and will change about a week or so before the actual premiere. The two Halloween episodes for example were originally listed for tomorrow before being pushed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8q0_HLA18s

Really Loud Music and Fowl Play (supposedly now called The Loudest Thanksgiving) confirmed for November, and here's the promo to prove it!

And both of them looks awesome ! Just can't wait to have an airdate.

Seems like we're in for some good stuff there. Very nice and good to know there won't be much of a wait.

We've got airdates!

The Loudest Thanksgiving: Fowl Play will air on the 12th, and Really Loud Music on the 23rd.

They do look awesome!!

Thread Information