Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animaniacs

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Animaniacs

Hey, remember this show? I’ve watched a number of episodes of this show on Netflix and I love it. I just find the show really clever and amusing. I especially like the Warner Brothers and Warner Sister.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

it's great. one of the few 90s cartoons that still hold up. just real clever and fun and i'm pretty happy it is on netflix now, been watching it a bit myself lately

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ataeaf

Love it. I would watch Animaniacs and Histeria! every day and learn so damn much. The entertainment value keeps it in my head, whereas the droning on of a teacher does not stick with me. I think my favorite song was Be Careful What You Eat. Monosodium glutamate, dehydrated calceinate.

Being a girl, I loved Dot especially. This was back when Tress MacNeille was like my fave before she became too much. Last year I got to meet Rob Paulsen and Jess Harnell. Rob sang the Nations of the World. They are so awesome. Stellar guys, great personalities, killer senses of humor and of course they are mega talented.

Somewhat related, I really liked the Genesis game and later the SNES version. It was really simple but it was you and the Warners going through different levels/sets on the lot of the WB studios. Using Dot to beat the dracula in the horror level really sticks out in my mind because it took me forever to figure out I was supposed to just throw kisses at him the whole time.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

I watched one episode briefly a few years ago at a hotel. Now that it's on Netflix, I have no excuse to not watch it.

Blog Entries

have always preferred tiny toons over it, but i do like the show overall. the problem is the show's consistency, there's not many episodes where all the segments fire on all cylinders. several of the characters are no good either, the hippos, katie kaboom, rita and runt, etc. even the warner siblings could be really really obnoxious in some episodes, notably later run episodes on the wb. about the only consistently good characters throughout the whole run were slappy and skippy and pinky and the brain(who were so good they were given their own show, another thing i feel hurt animaniacs overall).

it's like the polar opposite of tiny toons, it started out strong but the longer it went on the worse it got. once tiny toons cleaned up some of it's roughness and most importantly stopped using kennedy cartoons for it's animation, it was an amazing show until the end, even the two specials were pretty good. and there's no contest when it comes to the straight to video movies, how i spent my vacation fucking buries wakko's wish without any effort.

i like seeing it on netflix solely because of it's ease of availability, similar to how i liked when it was added to the hub a couple years back(used to dvr it and tiny toons when they were on the channel), but i don't particularly have excitement over it being on there, have seen the whole show numerous times including during it's original run. should just buy the series on dvd i suppose, but even then i never bought past the second volume of tiny toons either.
    Last edited by comeau; 04-07-2016 at 11:55 AM.

I am so glad someone else here likes Tiny Toons. I think the last time I tried to express that I just got a whole lot of people shitting on it.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: comeau, Nicky, Ryan

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Watched every episode of it a few years ago when it was airing on the Hub. Like everyone's said, it's a really funny and smart show, easily one of the best from its era. Honestly wish I could've seen them back when I was a kid (though I did see Wakko's Wish on CN a few times, slightly confused from not knowing who any of the characters were from), still have songs like I'm Mad and the presidents song stuck in my head.

Only seen a few Tiny Toons episodes (wasn't able to really catch their timeslot when Hub aired them, and I just kinda lost interest a few episodes in). Should try watching it again at some point, do remember really enjoying the vacation movie.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    one of the few 90s cartoons that still hold up.
    how many is a few? i can think of about ten off the top of my head that i still enjoy. seems like there's a lot.
    Last edited by parklife; 04-07-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: skipped some words

Blog Entries

yeah, there's a lot of people that are like "grow up, stop watching kids shows, nostalgia isn't cool" etc etc but the 90s were the best period for cartoons at that point since like the mid 50s, there's still quite a few worth watching. and most of the ones not worth watching are the ones no one remembers anyways, like the wacky world of tex avery or whatever.

i get it, there's a bunch of great cartoons currently airing yada yada yada, but that doesn't mean that most 90s cartoons don't hold up anymore.

not to mention animated series for adults, like the simpsons and king of the hill.

Blog Entries

also shows like animaniacs had a rather sizeable adult fanbase as well, something that warner bros. was aware of and something they never particularly approved of either.

hell tiny toons was among the first shows to have an internet community, the other notable show to have one back then was of course the simpsons.

Blog Entries

i'm mainly talking about kids cartoons. there are a few kids cartoons that hold up but i couldn't list ten off the top of my head if i tried. and king of the hill is barely 90s

Blog Entries

tiny toons
    animaniacs
    freakazoid
    darkwing duck
    rockos modern life
    hey arnold
    recess
    batman the animated series
    dexter's lab
    powerpuff girls

and that's without even trying, or listing shows that started in the 90s but were better in the early 2000s, like spongebob and ed edd n eddy. could list a bunch more that are more subjective, like angry beavers and cow and chicken, as well.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife, Ryan, Xaiv

in my opinion, king of the hill's best episodes are from its first three seasons from 1997-1999 and i don't even pay attention to it after 2001, so to me, it's barely 2000s. that's a great list, comeau. only glaring omission is the ren and stimpy show.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zach

Blog Entries

well i have mixed feelings about ren and stimpy, always have, that list is shows that i can watch and unequivocally enjoy to this day.

almost put johnny bravo on there too but i really only like the first season.

Blog Entries

king of the hill as it is is one of my favorite show from seasons 1-6. so i guess that would make it half 90s half 2000s for me.

as for that list, not into tiny toons, never saw freakazoid or batman, and hey arnold and recess are Eh. i do like the rest listed tho

Blog Entries

dude watch fucking batman at the very least, what the hell

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Blog Entries

i was a spider-man kid when that show was relevant/airing and had no interest in batman. i always have been meaning to, just never have

BrokenBox

speaking of spider-man, spiderman the animated series is another good one from the 90s imo.

Blog Entries

yeah that's what i'm talking about. i craved that show as a kid. i don't know if it really holds up though. it's kinda crummy looking back but i have a lot of nostalgia for it

Well if you ever do give Batman:TAS a chance you'll at least be watching some of the best Batman you possibly could. Definitely holds up.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

What, am I the only one here to have the complete series (well, except for Wakko's Wish) on DVD?

For a while, I thought they may never release the final 24 episodes (I think there was a music rights problem with the "Macadamia" song) - episodes 51-75 were released in 2007; episodes 76-99 were released in 2013.

Blog Entries

think i have the first boxed set at my parents house, not sure

Blog Entries

To echo @super nintendo chalmers, I was more of a Tiny Toons kid at the time but I really liked Animaniacs. It always felt like the more uneven show, where they would have a short that would be amazing and rock my socks, but then follow up with something lame or feature characters I find kind of boring. I do remember spending time as a kid writing a bunch of my own Animaniacs shorts in my notebooks and stuff, however. I distinctly remember writing some "Wheel of Morality" and Goodfeathers jokes.

Re-watching the first 10 or so episodes recently, I admit that the series' formula is a little distracting. I hadn't realized as a child that basically every episode was the Warners meeting a new friend (who is often an asshole) and they just torment them for 7 or 8 minutes. Whether it's Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, some candy store guy, a garage sale bear, that psychiatrist guy, the studio head, whatever. I think this must just be a common Looney Tunes or Warner Bros. formula in general, but it's really noticeable here. The execution of the jokes and how shamelessly punny and vaudeville-y is it still works. It's not a slog to re-watch or anything. But the writer really go back to that well a lot.

It's weird rewatching and having these long lost jokes start tumbling out of your brain, like they had been hidden away forever. Weird moments of deja vu. I distinctly remember the Warners' pronouncing the AEIOU vowel sounds when learning diction. Them running around saying OH LADY OH LADY OH LADY in that Jerry Lewis short. The Polka Dots joke in the Anvilania episode. And all of the Bumbi's Mom and Little Old Lady From Pasadena shorts for Slappy Squirrel.

I appreciate the Rita and Runt moments more as an adult now that I know more music, but they're still utterly bizarre as segments.

Slappy Squirrel still rules, though.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: comeau

Blog Entries

i wanted to get animaniacs on dvd but it's still pretty expensive. well too expensive for what it is

Blog Entries

theres tons of great stuff here, but I never liked the brand of 'adult' humor in these types of shows. too dependent on you knowing the reference material
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

About jumped out of my chair when I saw this was coming to Netflix. I'm so caught up in watching other shows that I don't have time to walk down memory lane at the moment, but I'll probably rewatch the whole thing from start to finish over the summer and appreciate the jokes and references from a fresh perspective. This show (along with The Simpsons, Dexter's Lab, PPG, Looney Tunes in general) was a huge part of my childhood and helped to mold my sense of humor.

Animaniacs is a good show, but I honestly feel that it has become a little overrated among animation fans in recent years. I think Doug Walker's (the Nostalgia Critic's) uber-positive opinion and constant praising on the show has contributed a lot to it being one of the most frequently mentioned "greatest cartoon of all time" candidates among the current nerd crowd. And like I said, it's a good show but it was never close to being as brilliant as the absolute cream of the crop of 90's cartoons such as The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead or The Powerpuff Girls. It has a lot of clever jokes but it also has a lot of jokes (such as a lot of puns) that would have felt "meh" even back in the 1980's. Also, the animation, despite being technically of high quality, was never creative enough for the slapstick to really work (I can certainly see why some of the old Termite Terrace masters disliked it and the rest of WB's 90's animated television output).

On the plus side though, the songs and lyrics in the show are always great, definitely the whose things highlight. And the shere amount of jokes that the show manages to contain due to the Groucho-esue rapid fire delivery ensures that even in cases where some of the jokes fails it is never far away from a joke that works. Oh and also, the "finger prints" joke is still among the best innuendos of all time.

Junior Camper

I remember "Animaniacs". It was a great animated show that was fun and contained plenty of pop culture references and parodies.

Blog Entries

I've been watching as well, and yeah the variety format tends to make the show more hit and miss, but the bulk was always entertaining and hilarious. not sure if I like or dislike it more than tiny toons. freakazoid is more closer to the humor I like, but I do absolutely adore the theatrical vaudevillian/musical side of Animaniacs and how damn good the voice actors were on this. man they just nail every freaking line.

speaking of the VAs, here's what happens when netflix puts an old, beloved but somewhat forgotten show up for streaming: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/ar...smtyp=cur&_r=1

man do I want to go to that. too bad it'll skip vegas and head to the hollywood bowl instead.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Thread Information