Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

So it's been a little while since there were any posts and I did put off making those top & bottom lists for season 3 I wanted to do, almost to the point of forgetting about it, so here they are (in no particular order).

Top 10:

Tea Tale Heart
    The Write Stuff
    Head Poets Anxiety
    Fandom Pains
    Really Loud Music
    Stage Plight
    Racing Hearts
    Gown And Out
    Missed Connection
    Home Of The Fave

Bottom 10:

Absent Minded
    What Wood Lincoln Do?
    Teacher's Union
    Game Boys
    Ruthless People
    Fool Me Twice
    Pasture Bedtime
    White Hare
    Sitting Bull
    Antiqued Off

Some difficult choices here, especially for the bottom one since I found there to be so few episodes I'd actually say are on the bad side, with most those just being weak, mediocre or just okay (which is a step up from last season with those two infamous episodes that are easy to say are terrible so yeah, not as easy here; some of my bottom picks are even worst by default, not because they are bad. That just goes to show the quality of the season).

Overall, I'd say the season is an definite improvement over the last one with more varied (and not to mention) better writing in many places, less of a focus on Lincoln and more focus on the Loud sisters with a lot of sister-centric episodes with little to no Lincoln to diversify things (many of whom really got some development here) & even some stuff for some supporting characters. It also changed and added a lot of things to the point of the status quo having grown really weak (which is a good thing). The strongest season so far, I'd say. I'm hoping the next season will further improve on things (and it'll be the most interesting one so far since it's the first one without Savino).

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Yeah, that's pretty difficult to pick choices, especially for the bottom. To be fair, there are only two episodes that I didn't like this season : House of Lies and Ruthless People. There is also some average stuff but those two are the only episodes that gave me negative vibes. And that said, there are not as awful as Brawl in the Family, No Such Luck or others One of the Boys are.

I don't know if this season is the best one so far, but there is some kind of improvement indeed. More great topics, more sisters-centric episodes (though I missed sometimes the episodes with the whole family) and more importance given to some minor characters that I really enjoy, and that allows the universe of this show to seems more full of life than ever. But I also think this season is less full of silly stuff : it can be a good thing, I like when they go into more dramatic topics, but sometimes, I missed episodes with a wacky and really fun plot, though I don't say this is totally absent in this season; there are still episodes like Friendzy or A Fridge Too Far for example.

But overall, this is as great of a season as it could have been expected. And I wonder what they will prepare for season 4, too. Speaking of it, I heard that season 4 could begin this summer, as it was said in a promo during the last KCA.

And the top and bottom of mine (no particular order too, except the first five for the top maybe) :

Top 10
    Really Loud Music
    Head Poet's Anxiety
    Gown and Out
    Racing Hearts
    Tea Tale Heart
    Selfie Improvement
    Fandom Pains
    Home of the Fave
    Shop Girl
    Roadie to Nowhere

Bottom 5
    Ruthless People
    House of Lies
    What Wood Lincoln Do ?
    Absent Minded
    Pasture Bedtime

I just give 5 episodes for the bottom because I had difficulties to choose more, it would be worst by default too.

@Wile E. the Brain, I saw that promo too and it seems to point towards a summer premiere, I guess in May/June something.

Also, be honest, I'm not even completely sure if I really think it's the best season so far but it feels like a possibility, though still very fond of the first season despite being much more simple and basic (which did work to it's favor a lot of the time) and season two was great stuff too even though it maybe didn't have as many highs. Picking a season is hard as the three are more or less equal to me.

You've got a point that the season lacked a little when it came to the simpler and sillier episodes that there were many of in the previous season, maybe especially in the first one (which I still think had a lot of great episodes of varying types); maybe there will be more of those in the next season, unless they decide that the current format is the way to go (less wacky and silly gag episodes and more character-based stuff with emotion and a bit of drama) in which case there'll be less of the simple and funny ones.

Which season do you lean towards if you had to pick?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-31-2019 at 11:45 PM.

@CousinMerl, I don't know to be honest. I love the three seasons all the same, though maybe because of different cases. I enjoy, like you said, the fact that the first season is somehow more simple, with nice little "slice of life" stories filled with good comedy, despite the fact this season is most of the time more Lincoln-centric (but the sisters are already there and they are still well used around him), and some of my favorite episodes (including my number one pick, For Bros About to Rock) are already there. Season 2 is more ambitious in its stories, in its drama and emotional side, with still some wacky and silly episodes that I really enjoy, and more place in the limelight given to the sisters and the family's entourage. In some way, the show evolves with time, and it's a good thing, but I can't decide which season is the best. The three of them have some really great and varying material.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 03-31-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Found this interview with Michael Rubiner about the show :

http://www.animationscoop.com/interv...he-loud-house/

I think he has well described what makes the strength and the heart of The Loud House and how this show has evolved with time, by expending its world and giving an important role to diversity, in the stories and the characters (also how the extent of this world allows the writers to have even more possibilities). That's interesting to hear about their approach on doing what they do.

Also, he talk about the movie at the end of the interview. He talk about a separate team, but still with some overlap and migrations from the team of the show to keep the important aspects of it consistent with the movie, which is a well thought initiative. And according to his words, one of the writers who's been in the show for a long time is going to be writing the movie. I wonder which one, perhaps Karla Sakas Shropshire or Kevin Sullivan ?

Some real interesting stuff in that interview. Think I glanced at that one earlier but thanks for posting, @Wile E. the Brain.

There's some good points regarding the evolution of the show from very Lincoln-centric to expanding on the other characters, ranging from the sisters to the rest of the town and it's various characters; they have done some very good worldbuilding, even just in the last season (three). The interviewer makes a good comparison with The Simpsons and how Bart-focused it was from the start before evolving and getting in on exploring more of the rest of Springfield.

The section of the movie sounds good, but only one writer on such a big project feels kind of odd; I had the feeling that it would be a joint effort of three-four of the shows writers due to the extended material (like The Simpsons Movie) but it might still work and I'm hopeful the movie will turn out good (and I too wonder which writer it is, if either of the two you mentioned). It's also interesting to know that much of the movie team will be an all new one to not put such a high strain on those handling the series.

One of the most eye-catching things of the interview is, to me, the part of the show being script-driven as opposed to board-driven (assuming he means 'storyboard-driven'). It's pretty unusual for a comedy cartoon series consisting of mainly 11 minute shorts to have so much love and care put into the scripts but it's a great thing either way as it makes it a little more unique when I assume several other modern animated shows are board-driven (it would be interesting to know what currently ongoing animated series are script-driven and which ones are board-driven).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-14-2019 at 02:35 AM.

https://theloudhouse.fandom.com/wiki...Relative_Chaos

Here's a small bit of news I felt was worth mentioning despite it probably not resonating with anyone outside of the US, Season 2 is getting it's first DVD release which much like both volumes of Season 1 will be a 2-disc set. Like I said, might not matter to anyone outside of the US but I felt like it was worth bringing up as someone who prefers the physical copy of something over having just a file of it saved to their hard drive (like most of the episodes from this release, to which all of the files I have for them will be deleted once I acquire this set).
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: TBD Girl, Internetted: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: TBD Rabbit Ears: TBD Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: TBD

Good too see that TLH does get more complete series DVD releases, though as before I think that there should be international versions as well. The only non-US DVD for the show is, as far as I know, last years 'A Very Loud Christmas' UK release.

In France we had to wait until the end of 2018 to get a DVD release of the entire season 1. I hope we'll not have to wait as long as this for season 2.

@CousinMerl, the fact they said the show is mostly script-driven doesn't surprise me considering how neat the scripts for this show are in general. They sure put a lot of care in their writing and we can feel it by watching the episodes (and the other great thing is that they still put a lot of care with the storyboarding too). I guess the animated series that are more board-driven are in general the cartoons who mostly rely on visual comedy, perhaps.

@Wile E. the Brain, I did not know that France got the complete first season on DVD. This took me by surprise since not even the US gotten a complete season release yet (only the two separate volumes) and since it doesn't look like no other European countries have gotten the complete season (checked on some Amazon sites) I guess the show must be extremely popular in France.

@CousinMerl, actually, the first season was released in four seperate DVD in France, but all of them came out at the same time and therefore, there was a box set with the four DVD included. And if I don't think the show is that popular in my country, I think it does have quite a good reception (at least enough to have the comics available and translated in french, for example; and on the Nickelodeon french YT channel, the short clips from the show are usually the most watched of this channel with the SpongeBob ones). The fandoms for animated series are pretty rare in France, anyway.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 04-16-2019 at 02:34 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Oh, I see your point about the boxset and get what you mean about the show's supposed popularity and how animated fandoms are rare in your country, though I think it must mean something in this case as complete DVD releases haven't happened in many countries outside the US (It doesn't seem like even the UK, which usually tends to be really good at releasing animation on DVD ranging from western animation to anime, has gotten the two volumes or the box like you guys did).

Also, I suppose you got the (seemingly region exclusive) complete set; love the design, btw. Wish it would see a wide release:

@CousinMerl, I guess you're right. And that's nice to see this show having a DVD release there since there are a number of western animation series that aren't available in France while I'd really love own them on physical support.

And yep, that's the set I own. The only problem is that it only have the french dubbing in it (and no bonus features but neither have the US version). I like the french dubbing, but I wish it had the original version which is still better to me. But hey, it's still very nice to have the show on my own DVD collection.

So no other languages than the dub? To not be able to pick between original and a dub sucks to be honest. I think that all releases should include the original voices, even the countries that doesn't have english as the native language, but then again the target audience is kids and they tend to only want to listen to the voice version they are familiar with (though it's no reason to neglect the orginal).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    So no other languages than the dub? To not be able to pick between original and a dub sucks to be honest. I think that all releases should include the original voices, even the countries that doesn't have english as the native language, but then again the target audience is kids and they tend to only want listen voice version they are familiar with (though it's no reason to neglect the orginal).
    Yeah, I definitely agree, I love having the choice of the version and it's too bad that this set doesn't give me that possibility. I assume they mostly meant this set for a young audience (Citel is a distributor mostly known for owning kids shows) but that's still an unfortunate neglect.

Thread Information