Thread: Fox Sunday Speculation Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Fox Sunday Speculation Thread

This is a breakoff from the Duncanville thread, as I had a response that didn't really apply to just Duncanville.

Apparently, Duncanville is being pulled for the 2020-21 season, but will return in 2021-22.
    This brings up the questions:
    (a) Why?
    (b) How is Fox going to schedule its remaining animation?

I assume the answer to (a) is, Fox wil already have six shows next season (The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bless the Harts, The Great North, Housebroken).

As for (b), the schedule may depend on whether Bless the Harts got an order for 13 episodes or 22.
    If it's 22, then that fills the 8-10 Eastern/Pacific time block for the entire season. There are two possibilities in this case:
    1. Both new shows start airing in January. Even if they start 1/31, and take off for the Super Bowl, the Oscars, Palm Sunday, and Easter, I count 13 Sundays available - and a show's first season tends to have fewer than 13, presumably so they have episodes in hand for its second season.
    2. One airs at 7:30 starting 9/27. There will probably be seven Fox NFL doubleheaders between then and 1/3, which leaves ten Sundays; remove one for the World Series, assuming it's still played as scheduled, and two for Christmas/New Year's, and that leaves seven.

The next question is, is Fox considering cancelling, or at least moving, Family Guy after next season? That would open up a slot in the 8-10 block.

Pin Pal

So I think the schedule will be like this for Fall/Spring

Fall:
    7 - Football
    7:30 - Either Bob's Burgers or Bless the Harts
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - The Great North (fall only)
    9 - Either Bob's or Harts
    9:30 - Family Guy

Spring
    7 - Rerun of Simpsons or live-action show
    7:30 - Either Bob's or Harts
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - Housebroken (if it makes it to air because it might not due to coronavirus)
    9 - Either Bob's or Harts
    9:30 - Family Guy

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    This is a breakoff from the Duncanville thread, as I had a response that didn't really apply to just Duncanville.

Apparently, Duncanville is being pulled for the 2020-21 season, but will return in 2021-22.
    This brings up the questions:
    (a) Why?
    (b) How is Fox going to schedule its remaining animation?

I assume the answer to (a) is, Fox wil already have six shows next season (The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bless the Harts, The Great North, Housebroken).

As for (b), the schedule may depend on whether Bless the Harts got an order for 13 episodes or 22.
    If it's 22, then that fills the 8-10 Eastern/Pacific time block for the entire season. There are two possibilities in this case:
    1. Both new shows start airing in January. Even if they start 1/31, and take off for the Super Bowl, the Oscars, Palm Sunday, and Easter, I count 13 Sundays available - and a show's first season tends to have fewer than 13, presumably so they have episodes in hand for its second season.
    2. One airs at 7:30 starting 9/27. There will probably be seven Fox NFL doubleheaders between then and 1/3, which leaves ten Sundays; remove one for the World Series, assuming it's still played as scheduled, and two for Christmas/New Year's, and that leaves seven.

The next question is, is Fox considering cancelling, or at least moving, Family Guy after next season? That would open up a slot in the 8-10 block.
    1. Animation takes at least 9-10 months and Fox rather have a full season rather than a short mini season (like Season 2 of Bob's Burgers). Duncanville also will hold over the last 2-3 episodes (Kimberly's Party, Wolf Mother, and Annie Oaklie) for the second season.
    2. Bless the Harts also has 3 holdovers. I assumed Fox ordered 22 episodes but will hold over a few if the show gets renewed for a third season (I guarantee it will). When Fox renews they tend to keep renewing and renewing. At this point, they can stop ordering new animated shows.

I know Simpsons is definitely getting a season 33 because of Al Jean confirming there will be a Treehouse 32. The Great North has Loren Bouchard and the Molyneux sisters and Fox also owns half of that show so that one is guaranteed an early renewal. Housebroken is an original concept. It's about a threapy dog who conducts sessions with other animals studying human dysfunction. It sounds interesting and Fox actually owns this one in full (not Disney) so they might wanna renew it to get a syndication deal. And this time they will be able to sell it to Adult Swim.

I heard they might move some animation to Friday night comedy with the live-actions or they'll just straight end Family Guy.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    So I think the schedule will be like this for Fall/Spring

Fall:
    7 - Football
    7:30 - Either Bob's Burgers or Bless the Harts
    Er, either football runs until 8:00, or it's not on at all (except in a handful of cities) that week.

Fox is not going back to the days of trying to program something at 7:30 on an NFL doubleheader day - especially with late games starting at 4:25 instead of 4:15.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Er, either football runs until 8:00, or it's not on at all (except in a handful of cities) that week.

Fox is not going back to the days of trying to program something at 7:30 on an NFL doubleheader day - especially with late games starting at 4:25 instead of 4:15.
    That’s true too. I’m sure if Fox doesn’t air one of them they’ll double up on that show in the spring. They did double up for season 8 of Bob’s Burgers close to the end.

Thread Information