Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Loud House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Loud House

To be honest, I have not watched the show at all.
    As a guy who wants to work in animation, I like the style of the cartoon.

Basically, I stopped watching Nick at the end of 2009 b/c I was getting older at the time, and I can tell Nick is a totally different thing than what it used to be.

I don't think there was a topic about Nickelodeon's "The Loud House" at No Homers, so I decided to make one.

So everything about The Loud House, can be discussed here.

Thanks

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

I was gonna make this thread at some point.

I love The Loud House. It's a lot of fun and is one of those gems of a cartoon that can transcend demographics.

The premise of a large family is nothing new but with each Loud sibling having their own personalities and sticking to them it never gets stale and the morals/lessons in each episode feel natural and never forced. The comedy is often laugh out loud funny and I often find myself laughing multiple times an episode which something that rarely happens with other sitcoms.

I'm really surprised how this has slipped under the NHC's Radar, it's very funny and has a lot of heart and I'm sure more members will admit to being fans.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

I like it. It's not my favourite, and I dont think it's the best show on the channel like people say, but it's very good.

The plots and jokes are really average, but the show shines where it's supposed to, which are the characters. Character interactions (besides Clyde and Luna) are pretty much 9/10.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

After hearing so many good things about The Loud House I decided to check it out this Friday; I haven't seen very much of any recent non-Star Wars animated series, let alone any comedy ones, in a long time (not including Simpsons and Futurama of course) and I otherwise don't really watch modern TV cartoons mainly aimed at a younger audience nowadays so I thought I'd give it a shot since I like the comic-strip designs and it seemed simple and fun enough (prior I was a bit worried since it looked like a dumb and obnoxious affair) and, well, at the end of the day I had watched around ten episodes.

So yeah, it's really good and addictive (which is interesting since I'm usually not a fan of this kind of cartoons); it's charming and fun & has a solid cast of characters that are likeable. It is wacky and exaggerated and there are many stereotypes (mainly the sisters) but it's all done well and the humor is pretty good too even though it doesn't always aim for the big laugh-a-minute jokes which I do like as it's a bit more than just a joke vehicle; I also like that it's not really that mean-spirited and there is a good heart to the show despite the silliness. Well, I guess I'm kind of a fan now.

I am surprised this has never caught on here on NHC as it's feels likes a show more folks here oughta like, but then again it seems like Nickelodeon shows that are not Spongebob aren't at all popular around here (such as with Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra).

So, got any favorite characters, guys?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-16-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Yet, I haven't watched the series. I REALLY like the designs though.
    TBH I'm going to say Lynn just by her looks.
    Last edited by chunkychief09; 10-16-2016 at 07:10 AM.
    Yeah, my comments are awful...

yeah, we don't want to bring the V people over here... Thank god Simpsons is not owned by them.

Blog Entries

im calling viacom on ur asses right now

Blog Entries

I have a twitter acquaintance who's super obsessed with this show so I checked it out and I don't understand the hype at all. I guess I can see it being like "comfort food" or whatever but to me it just feels overly gentle and bland. I hate that a lot of modern cartoons are mean-spirited ADD joke delivery vehicles with people yelling all the time but this seems like it went too far in the other direction. 11-year-old-comic-strip-dork-me probably would've went apeshit over this though

• The first thing I saw was a 2 minute scene about baby poop that I did not care for
    • The parents' faces being hidden is an annoying contrivance. That thing only works if they appear infrequently

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, zFamous

I haven't watched the show yet, but about the "baby poop", I'm going to say it's something for kids to laugh for..
    Second, hiding parents' faces could be a good idea. If I ever made a cartoon series, I may end up as well hiding their faces.

"Welcome to the world of tomorrow!"

Blog Entries

Yep. Easiest way to get little kids to laugh is to make pee pee and poo poo jokes.
    How to remaster

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always found it a little freaky as a kid when a cartoon hid all the adults' faces. It's a bit unsettling how all of their faces just pretty much are vaporized.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Yep. Easiest way to get little kids to laugh is to make pee pee and poo poo jokes.
    "You don't say!"

Man, i'm just spamming up a storm today!

I like how the parents' faces are hidden from the viewer (maybe because it's kind of a throwback to how we never saw the parents faces in stuff like Peanuts and Cow & Chicken?).

Blog Entries

Man, Cow & Chicken took that shit to some weird extremes with the parents sleeping upside down in the bed and stuff. Weren't they eventually shown to be just legs?

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I've always been fascinated by hidden/unseen characters like wilson from home improvement, nanny from muppet babies, dr. claw from inspector gadget, maris from fraiser, etc. but if your show is centered around a family you should show the damn family

Blog Entries

The whole "don't show the face" thing is probably meant to be a throwback to when cartoons used to do it back in the day, like with Tom's owner in Tom and Jerry or Ms. Bellum in Powerpuff Girls. I think Kids Next Door used to do it for a while too with the kids parents, but they stopped doing it as much after they introduced Numbuh One's dad. They also did it with Timmy's parents way back in the original Fairly Oddparents shorts, but they stopped after it became its own show. The last cartoon that I can remember hiding a face was Wizard Kelly on The Proud Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Man, Cow & Chicken took that shit to some weird extremes with the parents sleeping upside down in the bed and stuff. Weren't they eventually shown to be just legs?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    dr. claw from inspector gadget
    Not anymore, here's what Dr. Claw actually looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttin'Merl View Post
    So, got any favorite characters, guys?
    The good Lisa in a currently airing cartoon, Luan and Leni. Lori isnt my favourite but definitely the best.

I guess I can see it being like "comfort food" or whatever but to me it just feels overly gentle and bland.
    It is, honestly. It's a show that's relaxing to watch, but I dont expect anything ambitious out of it at all. And sometimes it gets annoying. And yea, this show seems to be deliberately trying to harken back to 90's cartoons and more simple, slice of life fare that is present in newspaper funnies. Right down to

The parents' faces being hidden is an annoying contrivance.
    Which I mean, Fairly Oddparents did that in it's pilot season but knew that would be too restrictive in a full series.

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    It is, honestly. It's a show that's relaxing to watch, but I dont expect anything ambitious out of it at all. And sometimes it gets annoying.
    That's a reason why I like it; it's easy to watch and doesn't go overboard and try something really big or really new, but I don't think it's annoying that it stays relatively safe as it is part of it's charm (however, I hope they try to broaden it and switch things around such as focusing on different characters).

Blog Entries

yeah, I really enjoy this show it just feels nice to have a very simple but good show also the characters are all really endearing. im sure the show will branch out to more wild plots, I mean the episode that just aired a few hours ago was about Lincoln going to an alt-dimension where his sisters are now all brothers, it was a really good episode and I think it shows they will maybe go a bit crazier in season 2.
    Last edited by Insomnia; 10-18-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Dang the show must be good b/c everyone here is giving off positive feedback about TLH.
    I just wonder, if Spongebob ends, will Lincoln Loud become the new mascot for Nickelodeon?

I gotta watch a clip, yeah I'm already a little bit old for Nick, but since I want to work in animation, I gotta see it, not now, but later.

It's already the second most popular cartoon after the Sponge between CN, Disney XD and Nick right now. Though that's hypothetical since Sponge got renewed for two more seasons anyways

Wowzah... Savino must be happy with his creation - I will have to agree with that.

There could be a chance I might even work for Nickelodeon, but who knows.
    I might even pitch an idea to Nick, as long if Nick is what it used to be in the 90s and 00s.
    Spoiler alert, I'm going to start an animated series on YouTube.
    Yes, get ready to see some [bad] flash animation stuff my friends... (but at least I have OpenToonz installed on my computer)
    Last edited by chunkychief09; 10-23-2016 at 01:24 PM.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    im sure the show will branch out to more wild plots, I mean the episode that just aired a few hours ago was about Lincoln going to an alt-dimension where his sisters are now all brothers, it was a really good episode and I think it shows they will maybe go a bit crazier in season 2.
    I saw that one the other day and it was a good experimental one. Speaking of season 2, I read that the first episode of the season (set to air in december) will be the first full length one at 22 minutes and, if true, that is interesting; maybe they'll do both 11 minute and occasional 22 minute episodes from there on?

Blog Entries

nice, looks like it's an x-special.

and today it was announced the show was picked up for a 3rd season, good to see nick actually putting faith in one of it's shows for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    and today it was announced the show was picked up for a 3rd season, good to see nick actually putting faith in one of it's shows for once.
    Maybe it's the Loud fanbase that can be thanked for that?

Okay, I'll just show my way out. 

But anyway, it's nice to know that they already have been picked up for a third season; hopefully it can stay good for that long and doesn't suffer any seasonal rot.

And regarding the unseen visages of the parents, I've noticed that they have revealed their faces in kind of a gradual manner; for example, in one of the episodes the mother's eyes are seen while she's wearing a mask and in two later episodes her face is shown but the eyes are hidden & they have done something similar with the dad. I think it's done in a pretty smart way for a show like this, but I understand that some get annoyed that they aren't just outright shown up front.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-21-2016 at 08:35 AM.

If Loud House ever become like the life of Spongebob's TV run, becoming from good to crap. that would be bad...

Am I the only one who see similarities to this show and The Simpsons?

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmus Maxiumus View Post
    Am I the only one who see similarities to this show and The Simpsons?
    I can see some similarities. Tonally I'd say it almost feels like early Simpsons (I'd say a mix of season 2 & 3 with elements of 4 & 5 for the crazier and more "extreme" parts), some aspects of Lincoln are similar to Bart (their clothes have similar colors as well), Lisa is like an exaggerated version of Lisa S (and they are both the second youngest child and share first and middle names, the latter two most likely being intentional references) and Clyde is essentially an expy of Milhouse (the dorky, bespectacled best friend who has a crush on one of his friend's sisters). There are probably others too but those come to mind.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-23-2016 at 04:02 AM.

It's a really good show and I'm glad Nickelodeon is putting faith in it. Chris Savino is an animation veteran and he has done work on some classic shows so I'm not too surprised that the quality is the way it is.

I look at it the same way I look at Alvin and the Chipmunks: I won't go out of my way to watch every single episode, but I'm always entertained whenever I watch it. It's bringing back a simple, charming attitude that cartoons used to have. I like every single character, which is something I didn't expect. Even if the Loud girls all rely on one joke, the writers do a good job of getting as much as they can out of them all. It must be a huge struggle to have that many characters but no one ever gets lost in the shuffle.

I really like how they handled Clyde's parents. When I first saw it, I was genuinely shocked and I thought it was going to be a big deal but the fact that they don't call attention to it at all earns my respect. I'm also surprised Nick allowed it but I guess Savino has some veteran pull that made it possible for him to have gay characters.

I'll be honest, I've always had a preference/bias towards slice of life shows. They just speak to me more and grab my attention more. I understand why shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe exist, but I always felt like the lack of slice of life shows was what caused animation to take a nosedive in the first place. The fact that The Loud House has already had the success its had after a few months is a great sign and I hope Nickelodeon can get itself more shows like this. Many talented people are willing to work with the network, they just need a chance to be creative.

So yeah, The Loud House is a really good show and a breath of fresh air for Nickelodeon.

Thread Information