Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TIL: Today I Learned

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    Today I learned Neil deGrasse Tyson used to clean toilets before he became an astrophysicist.
    Like before he started college or while he was in college as a side job?

Blog Entries

BRC would probably go to the ends of the earth just to Shit in the toilet that the legendary NDT once cleaned

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by likecharges View Post
    Like before he started college or while he was in college as a side job?
    To help pay for his education, and for work study.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that the theme song for The Magic School Bus was performed by none other than Little Richard.

Yep Jason Scott Lee (Hawaii represent!!) and Lena Headey. I was super into it back then. Gave it a rewatch not terribly long ago and didn't hate it. I remember the quicksand death scaring the shit out of me when younger.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

TIL I can stay an EU citizen through my paternal grandpappy I never met who was born in Ireland.

TI also L that my nan's mum drowned tragically in her 30s after falling into the sea drunk. She was my kind of person.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

TIL that bananas arguably the best fruit are also the coolest : not only are they slightly radioactive but they also produce Antimatter

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/2009...r-from-bananas
    o shit its 2021 and still havent posted on this forum

Merry Christmas!

Blog Entries

Today I learned that the sole reason why the short-lived Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon exists is because Marvel was contractually obligated to make one more Spider-Man cartoon for Fox Kids but weren't allowed to use any of the traditional stories or even the classic costume because Sony had just made a deal with Marvel to produce Spider-Man movies (meaning the producers came up with the Counter-Earth stuff in desperation), and also that the original plot for Unlimited (Spidey goes to Counter-Earth and tries to find his copy there, only to discover that since Counter-Earth Uncle Ben didn't die, Counter-Earth Peter never got his moral fortitude from his death and ended up becoming the Counter-Earth Venom),was nixed by Marvel because the infamous Clone Saga had ended and they wanted no more stories featuring more then one Peter Parker.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 04-16-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries

TIL: Leopards drag their kills up trees. That's, uh, one efficient kitty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Today I learned that the sole reason why the short-lived Spider-Man Unlimited cartoon exists is because Marvel was contractually obligated to make one more Spider-Man cartoon for Fox Kids but weren't allowed to use any of the traditional stories or even the classic costume because Sony had just made a deal with Marvel to produce Spider-Man movies (making the producers come up with the Counter-Earth stuff in desperation), and also that the original plot for Unlimited (Spidey goes to Counter-Earth and tries to find his copy there, only to discover that since Counter-Earth Uncle Ben didn't die, Counter-Earth Peter never got his moral fortitude from his death and ended up becoming the Counter-Earth Venom),was nixed by Marvel because the infamous Clone Saga had ended and they wanted no more stories featuring more then one Peter Parker.
    Interesting. I always thought Spider-Man Unlimited was just like another season or continuation of the '94 toon.

Today I learned that Michelle Rodriguez did not have a drivers license prior to the first Fast and the Furious movie, but obtained one in light of the movie.

Blog Entries

Actually, that's just a misconception. Spider-Man Unlimited and the '94 TAS cartoon were never meant to be connected. Unlimited was actually originally suppose to be just a low-budget adaption of the first 26 issues of the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko run on The Amazing Spider-Man comic, but thanks to Sony, they had to switch to the Counter-Earth stuff. But oddly enough, when they did start airing Unlimited, they played a brief snippet of the theme song from the '94 TAS cartoon in the first episode and in a later episode, Spider-Man's flashback of how he got the symbiote and how it ended up with Eddie Brock is exactly the same as it was in the '94 TAS cartoon, so it looks like the writers of Unlimited were trying to sort of vaguely imply that maybe both shows were in the same continuity after all...but they really weren't.

The confusion even spread to the comics. During the Spider-Verse event, when Spider-Man Unlimited (or at the very least an alternate version of him) showed up and got killed, the writer said that he considered him and the '94 TAS cartoon Spidey's to be the same guy, but later on, the editors went against him and said that the original handbooks on the Marvel multiverse were right, so the '94 TAS and Unlimited versions of Spider-Man are considered to be separate versions of the character again.

Blog Entries

Apparently, PS4s are havens for cockroaches.

It also reminded me of a Discord comment chain I read on the chat yesterday... and I just noticed the same article was linked during the conversation. Either I didn't notice it before or I only saw part of it (I was looking around).

I sent that article off to my husband in near panic when I read that article because we have started having roach problems in the house and our PS4 just sits on the floor of one room. It's very well ventilated but I'm super paranoid now and am checking my PS4 incessantly. Working in IT, we do see a lot of units come through with roach or ant infestations. One time a gecko fried on my power supply and killed my PC.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that a man proposed to his wife or fiancée via Overwatch.

Blog Entries

TIL: Someone I know had to get circumcised as a result of balanitis brought on by diabetes yesterday, which by sheer chance I happened to have read about just a few days prior.
    How to remaster

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Today I learned that before writing Children's books Dr. Seuss wrote WWII propaganda cartoons... In the same drawing style of "Green Eggs and Ham" or "The Lorax".
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Today I learned about Fiverr.com, which is a site that offers services for small fees from writing stories to looking over your resumes.

Dear god, some of these look like steals. I am so signing up.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Easter Egg Council Creep View Post
    Today I learned that before writing Children's books Dr. Seuss wrote WWII propaganda cartoons... In the same drawing style of "Green Eggs and Ham" or "The Lorax".
    i have a book of these. some of them are really good

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

TIL I am related to one of my technicians on the Big Island. He's the cousin of one of my mom's cousins that happened to open a popular drive-in there (plus a restaurant and mini-mart). Small damn world. I need to ask him again exactly how it is he is related but that has been amusing us all morning, he keeps calling me "cousin" now.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Today I learned Great Wraps is also not a local business.

Today I learned I should research businesses before assuming they're local.

Today I also learned that while Ledo Pizza is local, there's a shit ton of them around.

Blog Entries

TIL: While Michael Eisner was busy being the CEO at Disney, his son was producing this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake%27s_Booty_Call

Blog Entries

Today I learned that Captain America rerose to fame during 9/11.

Prepare for more superhero and Albert Einstein facts because of History Channel's Superheroes Decoded and Nat Geo's Genius.

Blog Entries

Genius looks pretty good. Another thing to be added to the list of shows I wanna watch but don't have the time to do properly.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that The Little Women is getting a PBS/BBC/Masterpiece adaptation.

Looks like some of the people who worked on Downton Abbey are working on this too. I'm definitely interested.

Blog Entries

Speaking of Downton Abbey, there's a new show called Jamestown that just started here a few days ago that looks pretty interesting. Not sure who's involved exactly but every piece of promotional material I've seen for it thus far has "From the makers of Downton Abbey" slapped onto it.

Blog Entries

Looks interesting. I hope it comes to Masterpiece on PBS here in the US, but I'm not sure if they've imported anything from Sky 1 before.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that the "Losers say what?" joke started in the Wayne's World movie with "A sphincter says what?"

Blog Entries

TIL that the wet wipe industry and sewerage companies are fighting over what it means to be “flushable” with the sewerage companies claiming that they had to remove lumps as big as 10 tons from their sewer systems. (theatlantic.com)
    submitted 10 hours ago by mywitsending
    3722 commentsshare

TIL that a German explorer/soldier became famous for evading capture by British forces in New Guinea during WWI. Hermann Detzner's book 'Four Years Among the Cannibals' detailed his exploits and remarkable scientific discoveries. He made everything up, and just hid in one place for four years. (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 3 hours ago by TMWNN
    14 commentsshare

TIL less than 5% of the world lives in the U.S., but Americans consume about 37% of cocaine in the world. (gawker.com)
    submitted 18 hours ago by 1Codex
    516 commentsshare

TIL a McDonald's Caesar Salad has more calories, fat and salt than a Double Big Mac burger (cbc.ca)
    submitted 20 hours ago by hanky1979
    3901 commentsshare

TIL that an unborn horse has a rubbery covering over its hooves to protect its mother from being harmed during gestation and birth. They fall off almost immediately as the foal tries to stand. (canyouactually.com)
    submitted 19 hours ago by TobiDaDog
    182 commentsshare

TIL Salvador Dali was known for his eccentric behavior, some of the things he did include filling a Rolls Royce Phantom 2 with 500kg of cauliflowers, and having a pet ocelot named Babou. (telegraph.co.uk)
    submitted 4 hours ago by Drewtothesky
    36 commentsshare

TIL 37% of Americans plan to work until they get too sick or die (businessinsider.com)
    submitted 9 hours ago by cheekyasian
    171 commentsshare

TIL Two brothers once sold a fake Goya painting for €1.5 million, only to later find out that all the money was counterfeit (news.artnet.com)
    submitted 23 hours ago by Flobarooner
    291 commentsshare

TIL that when the Titanic was found in 1985, the famous Grand Staircase (appearing in many films of the sinking) was missing. During the filming of the 1997 movie, the replica was torn out by the water when the set was flooded; the real staircase was likely ripped out of the ship in the same way. (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 3 hours ago by TMWNN
    20 commentsshare

TIL the Michael Bay film Pearl Harbor costed $140 million to produce, as much as the actual rebuilding of Pearl Harbor, and lasts a full hour longer than the actual attack.costed?????????????? (time.com)
    submitted 14 hours ago by MuricanTragedy5
    147 commentsshare

TIL British spies stopped using semen as invisible ink because it began to smell if it wasn’t fresh. (telegraph.co.uk)
    submitted 4 hours ago by cunninglinguist316
    11 commentsshare

TIL Plants Can Recognize and Communicate With Relatives to Work Together (news.nationalgeographic.com)
    submitted 4 hours ago by HeWhoCouldBeNamed
    18 commentsshare

TIL of Barnes Wallis, who in WWII not only invented the "bouncing bomb" which bounces on water to a target, but also the earthquake bomb which creates a 3.6 mag earthquake and was the largest non-nuclear bomb in the war. (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 6 hours ago by ArbitraryCommentary
    11 commentsshare

TIL that the popularity of the SNES caught the attention of the Yakuza, prompting Nintendo to ship the consoles at night to prevent theft. (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 4 hours ago by TriTexh
    10 commentsshare

TIL Scientist John All fell into a 70-foot deep crevasse in Nepal. He broke 15 bones and was bleeding internally but miraculously survived and was able to document his climb out. (youtu.be)
    submitted 1 day ago by SchmeckleFreckle
    542 commentsshare

TIL Albert Einstein once needed a letter of recommendation from Madame Curie to secure a job. (lettersofnote.com)
    submitted 16 hours ago by rachitkhanna
    58 commentsshare

TIL That Popeyes gave Beyonce a free-Popeyes-for-life card after they heard how much she loved their food (mentalfloss.com)
    submitted 18 hours ago by haloarh
    154 commentsshare

TIL as the third man in history stepped onto the moon he said "Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me" (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 1 day ago by Woody27327
    965 commentsshare

TIL that 69% of Americans Have Less Than $1,000 USD in Savings, as of September 2016 (gobankingrates.com)
    submitted 1 day ago by RandomCollection
    879 commentsshare

TIL that Smash Mouth has had issues distinguishing themselves away from Shrek, leading to the band correcting countless people on Twitter. (gawker.com)
    submitted 5 hours ago by Chengweiyingji
    32 commentsshare

TIL that moisturizers don't actually moisturize your skin, but merely prevent your skin from losing more hydration. There's also a technical difference between creams, ointments, and lotions. (thesweethome.com)
    submitted 11 hours ago by aphilosopherofmen
    27 commentsshare

TIL: Wuzhu, also known by his sinicised name Wanyan Zongbi, or Jin Wuzhu, was a prince, military general and civil minister of the Jurchen-led Jin dynasty, which ruled northern China between the 12th and 13th centuries. (stab.ga)
    submitted 45 minutes ago by kuortos
    commentshare

TIL the Rolling Stones were criticized for high ticket prices on their 1969 US tour so they decided to hold a free concert. The festival was organized by the Grateful Dead and took place at the Altamont Speedway in 1969. It was a disaster, and signalled the end of the hippie movement. (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 21 hours ago by westernmail
    142 commentsshare

TIL of astronomer Guillaume Le Gentil who in 1760 went from France to India to measure the transit of Venus. He missed out on both chances to do so, contracted dysentery and nearly went insane. When he made it home he learned he had been declared dead, his wife remarried and his estate plundered (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 1 day ago by m0rris0n_hotel
    168 commentsshare

TIL that a jockey featured in a Camel cigarettes ad sued the publishing company because the picture of him appeared to show his giant penis above the words "When you feel 'All In'"_____ (deceptology.com)
    submitted 5 hours ago by mrpeabodyscoaltrain
    5 commentsshare

36. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Thread Information