Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TIL: Today I Learned

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

TIL that the "NHC" portion of the name @justinhc wasn't done on purpose.
    How to remaster

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: juStNick

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Today I learned Virginia has early voting, despite what John Oliver said.

Blog Entries

that's what you get for trusting a brit

Blog Entries

Today I learned that if the Pokémon anime had concluded during the Johto era, the original showrunner for the series was going to have the show end with the Pokémon staging a revolution against the humans, with Pikachu being railroaded into becoming their leader and Meowth as some kind of translator/ambassador. Ash would have also at some point met his father, who would have been revealed to just be some random deadbeat loser who never did anything with his life, and Ash realizing all the stories his mom told him about his father being a great Pokémon trainer were just lies.

Also, the original plot for the third Pokémon movie (the one about Entei and the Unown) was about scientists discovering a skeleton of a T-Rex ( revealing that real animals did exist in the Pokémon world, but had mysteriously disappeared), then the skeleton would have somehow become sentient and gone on a rampage in Pallet Town.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Today I learned Harris Teeter is open 24/7

Today I learned that the music in the "You Wouldn't Steal a Car" anti-piracy ad was pirated.

Blog Entries

You read my mind. I was just about to post that.

Blog Entries

today i learned they serve french fries at mcdonald's
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    Today I learned that the music in the "You Wouldn't Steal a Car" anti-piracy ad was pirated.
    I see someone's been on r/all today

crud you found out!!

Blog Entries

I myself found that out just by looking at silly pictures of memes from that as, such as "You Wouldn't Download A Car".

Today I learned Carmen San Diego was a video game before a game show.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 was originally planned to give a story mode for every character in the game, but time or budget constraints resulted in the final version of the game only having it for 11 characters. They recorded the audio for these unused story missions and left them on the disk though, and listening to them reveals that the developers had some bizarre and strange ideas for stories (including a story where Kid Goku from the original Dragon Ball era finds a time machine and ends up in the DBZ era and fights the Z-Fighters, or one where a Saibaman survives on Earth, joins the Z-Fighters, and goes to Namek with them to find the Dragon Balls).

Quote Originally Posted by CranberrySauceCommittee View Post
    Today I learned Carmen San Diego was a video game before a game show.
    It was fun, too. At least, the version I had was fun. I had a PC copy that had a voice over saying all sorts of phrases in different languages, particularly when landing in a new country. You get the information, you research your information guide book, you survey the area and speak to people for clues, and then you make a decision on where you think Carmen (or her lackey) skedaddled off to. I learned a lot from that game, come to think of it.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

always something so charming about those old PC games

Blog Entries

TIL: i never posted, voted, nor did i submit a list for tha hilarious as fuck NHC PURGE thread

also TIL: earlier in the day my brother was literally walking up to girls and asking them if they wanted to go out with him. i couldn't and wouldn't ever do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

TIL: Johnny Knoxville's real name is Philip John Clapp, Jr. and that he comes from a long line of inbreeding.

Blog Entries

somehow im not shocked by that revelation

Blog Entries

Yeah, tbh, you could've had the inbreeding factoid be about any of the Jackass cast and it wouldn't have been hard to believe.

Yeah not surprising given where he is from. I like that his Wiki says he was "not alarmed, but amused."

Kinda scary to say that it wouldn't even surprise me if that were the case with my husband's family, either.

Blog Entries

TIL: there's actually something called superior canal dehiscence syndrome (SCDS), which means you can HEAR your fucking insides moving around in your body, and it's apparently caused by thin temporal bones in the ear.

i mean, how the hell does someone go about their day like this?

I have to deal with something like that, but not hearing my parts move...I hear my pulse. Certain times of the day if I lie down on my left side, I'll just hear my heart beating, thumping. It sounds like it's going crazy and overworking, but it's not my heart, it's just my pulse. It's like pulsatile tinnitus or some crap. My doctor once said it could be the bones in the ear but I think in recent years it's been said that it's just the blood vessels in there. I have never had a single high blood pressure issue so my doctor is not concerned.

I used to be concerned until I got used to it -_-

Blog Entries

TIL: My stripper name is "Black Pie".

Blog Entries

Today I learned the author of the The Martian thought of Neil deGrasse Tyson when writing it.

Blog Entries

TIL Billy Idol wrote the song Rebel Yell because he liked the name of some whiskey.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

TIL Carl's Jr has a low-carb burger/sandwich option that is just lettuce, tomato, and the sandwich meat.

I only know this because I tried to order the spicy chicken sandwich w/ no lettuce for the first time and received a freaking no-bun, all lettuce sandwich.

But my ladies got my back and remade it super quick for me

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

TIL that Vox Day, member of the WaxTrax-scene industrial band Psykosonik who were big-ish names for a minute in the 90s, is the same Vox Day who's a leading voice in the alt-right movement (and, surprise surprise, white supremacist) and whose accomplishments include hosting GamerGate meetups, writing articles with names like "Why Women's Rights are Wrong", and writing a Hugo-nominated 'guidebook' called "SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police". Sad. I feel like every other person who's ever been associated with the WaxTrax scene would have kicked his ass inside out if he were the same person back then. I'm sure Jim Nash and Danny Flesher do complete flips in their grave now anytime someone plays one of those albums.
    Last edited by LosTickaToeRest; 11-30-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest: He also is a leading member of the Rabid Puppies, which is a spin-off of the Sad Puppies, who appear to be sad that so much high-brow, "elitist" science-fiction and fantasy are getting Hugo award noms/wins and that more "fun", pulpy stuff needs to be nominated, and when Vox Day is involved it devolves into some really gross racism. (TRIGGER/CONTENT warning for said racism)

Also as far as Sad/Rabid Puppies stuff, I find it weird that their nominee for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form (2015) was Guardians of the Galaxy, and it won over Interstellar. I don't think Interstellar is Nolan's best film but, judging it on its merits as a science fiction film, it's loads better than GoTG. I mean for one thing it actually has some science-based ideas in it. Guess that's what the Puppies meant by crowd-pleasing pulp, which is frankly kind of disappointing. It's like they want science fiction to go back to crap about straight white guys shooting up giant aliens which are carrying screaming women.
    Last edited by Torrens; 11-30-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The wiki talk page for him is fun because something as minor as a disagreement about one single word choice (albeit one that's way too invested) turns into fanboys whining about how stuff he's associated with only ever scores below "no award" because of the organized liberal-biased efforts of "anti-puppy" voters to sabotage him

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

LOL, it's totally not like he's organizing a campaign to prove that the Hugo Awards are reverse-racist against Straight White Men, which he is, until he says he's Native American (which might very well be true, but still, he only seems to whip out that facet of his identity when it's convenient to prove a point).

The amount of sheer hatred and contempt that Day and his gaggle of commentators have for NK Jemisin in particular (really disgusting racist comments in that link) is amazing. Simply for her being a black woman sci-fi/fantasy author who's spoken out publicly against them/Day, you have VD (how appropriate) and his gang of assholes calling her a "half-savage" and denigrating her talent and her intelligence with crude parodies of AAVE. It's gross as hell.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that making a skirt isn't as difficult as it looks, and that you can even make one out of old jeans.

In fact, I am honestly thinking of making one for myself. Katsucon is doing a Yu-Gi-Oh! shoot and I'm thinking of going as Alexis Rhodes from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Or maybe even Tea Gardner from the original... Akiza Izinski from 5D's is way too complex for me, Tori Meadows from ZEXAL is a possibility, and while Zuzu Boyle from ARC-V isn't that complex, it's a little overdone. (Surprisingly, out of all five Yu-Gi-Oh! series, Zuzu is the most common cosplay I've seen.)

Thread Information