Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TIL: Today I Learned

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

TIL this cooking parody exists. I didn't think I could love Ted Allen more.

facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

A Flying Saucer Orbiting Earth's Remaining Moon

TIL that Billy Dee Williams finally gets to play Two-face... In the Lego Batman Movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by morbot
    Thats the dumbest thing I think I've ever read... and I only read bits of it.

Blog Entries

TIL this was actually the shit you could find in a Home Economics textbook in the 1950's

http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/le...lm/gdhwife.htm

It's far from a surprise. I always assumed it was basically "Bend over backwards to please your husband" but actually reading it is still pretty gross.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

that shit is infuriating and vomit-inducing. and to think, there are conservative people (*cough* extended family *cough*) out there who brainwash their children into believing this should still be the norm in some way or another. ugh.

Blog Entries

I like the "Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes" part tbh. Has this great unintentional air of the man being incapable of doing a simple task without his wife's aide.

Blog Entries

like he's some cavemanish dipshit? yeah, i got that image from it (and it's not far off at all tbh). also, this part immediately following it:
    You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first
    "you don't matter cuz i'm the MAN and my problems will always be more important than yours, you silly housewife. LOL"

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so they actually taught this to kids in schools? crazy and disgusting
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

@hopping through the snow And yet that's basically a tamer version of this one that came before it
    Don't greet him with problems and complaints. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as a minor problem compared to what he might have gone through that day.
    "He's late? Well, fuck you. He's got his own shit to contend with without you adding on to it by bitching that he wasn't home in time".

Yeah the whole "your husband is king of the house and you should WORSHIP HIM" thing is especially when you grow up with a family of mothers who are actually head of the household in every way.

Blog Entries

Yeah, my parents split when I was 2 so up until the point of my mother remarrying I was used to her being the one who was solely in charge. Plus I just had way more consistent female authority figures than male ones in the family anyway.

TIL about the human penis bone and why y'all don't have it anymore

Ties into the whole "humans are not meant to be monogamous" thoughts

http://gizmodo.com/new-research-sugg...-in-1790075764

(I'm distracting the crap out of myself today)

Blog Entries

Males use “prolonged intromission” to keep the female away from his competition while he impregnates her.
    Well, if there's one upside, it's that now we can just do this for the sake more intense pleasure rather than out of obligation to pump out kids and fear of our partners going off to get fucked by someone else.

Also, the second bone from the bottom looks like a pissed off snake about to take a bite out of something.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Today I learned Ariana Grande did not invent the cat ear headphones.

Technically, I already knew that (I always thought she just endorsed them), but apparently, the manufacturer is giving Ariana Grande credit for inventing them and the real creator is really angry at them on Twitter.

Blog Entries

Today I learned that two Watchmen video games to tie in to the movie adaptation were almost made: one an open world action game starring Rorschach fighting crime and solving mysteries, while the other was a prequel starring Rorschach, Nite Owl, and The Comedian as playable characters (each with different gameplay) focusing on how the superheroes were involved with big historical events and how they affected them (such as a level where Comedian assassinates JFK, or one where he is in the Vietnam War), and that the second game pitch was unintentionally killed by director Zack Synder, who forced Warner Bros to change the game company's contract with them, which caused the game's production to be delayed and caused the developers to instead go to another company and work on a different game to avoid going bankrupt, resulting in Warner Bros being forced to release a much lamer tie-in game instead.

Blog Entries

TIL: i had no idea this super structure in deep space, called the BOSS wall, had been discovered. you can't even begin to picture just how fucking large it is. 1 billion light years across(!), composed of an estimated 830 galaxies, 10,000 times bigger than the milky way. and there's more than likely something even bigger than it, which is intruiging and absolutely mind-blowing.

also, learned that cluster m19 can be seen as a faint dot of light with just binoculars. reminds me that i gotta buy myself a telescope

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

TIL that one of the guys in Ace of Base was in a Nazi punk band and responsible for writing such lovely-sounding songs as "White Power, black head slaughter"
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

TIL there's a weird as fuck article that exists that looks at friggin' BEAVIS as a low-key SJW.

Beavis Was the Wokest Bae
    Was the Great Cornholio’s revolutionary intention to advance the lives of women? An incomplete investigation

https://melmagazine.com/beavis-was-t...62d#.rhakgywmh

Blog Entries

It is a bad thing I had never heard (or knew) of the term ''wokest'' until last night? Or am I not alone?

Blog Entries

Have heard "Woke" used before in the context of being aware of something but never "Wokest". Both sound dumb as fuck, in fairness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    TIL about the human penis bone and why y'all don't have it anymore

Ties into the whole "humans are not meant to be monogamous" thoughts

http://gizmodo.com/new-research-sugg...-in-1790075764

(I'm distracting the crap out of myself today)
    Heh, just saw this pop up again in the form of a "Stop Clickbait" post, even though the FB post is actually restating info that was given in the article link itself for a change anyway.

Haha I guess they REALLY wanted to cover their tracks and make sure the answer is right there for the less clever people.

Blog Entries

TIL that Adam West has tried to get himself cast in every Batman movie since the 1989 Burton one; first as Batman, but since then he's consistently lobbied for a part as Bruce's father, who is not only still alive but also operates as a second Batman, and who "comes out of the woodwork when times get really tough ... maybe [gives Bruce] a few tips here and there".

Blog Entries

I fucking love Thomas-Wayne-as-Batman scenarios since they seem to be much darker than most other version of Batman out there (Batfleck springs to mind though) but as much as I admire West's tenacity I can't really see him tackling that role effectively, especially if you're gonna do a Batman like in Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox.

Blog Entries

There are some cool Thomas Wayne-oriented stories out there, I totally agree. Just picturing Adam West crashing through the window in his big-eyebrows batsuit and giving Bruce a stern talking-to about his inefficient methods and how much easier it was to track criminals back in his day is a really fucking funny mental image for a Burton or Nolan movie. Might have even made Batman & Robin a better movie.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

He completely would have fit in in Batman & Robin. I swear, that movie is so terrible that it's like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and loops right around to being amazingly entertaining.

Blog Entries

TIL that some kid trolling TVTome back in the early 00s filled the entry for Street Sharks with a bunch of made-up crap as kind of a social experiment and the false information ended up spending the next decade-plus gradually being spread around places like IMDB and Amazon.com and Netflix and getting referenced in articles by legitimate publications and even actual voice-actors from the show as fact, and has now basically created a mandela-effect thing where people swear they have fond childhood memories of characters and such that were completely made up by this troll back in the Livejournal era. It's fascinating and surprisingly thought-provoking when you get down to the implications. It's also funny because I spent lots of time on that old shitty TVTome site back around that period and specifically remember looking the show up (I was obsessed with it for a time in the toyetic 90s) and seeing all this weird crap that I could swear never happened, like a sexy girl shark joining the team later in the series or there being a season-long arc about car racing.

http://www.geek.com/tech/how-i-used-...ernet-1656188/
    Last edited by LosTickaToeRest; 01-24-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Ah, TV Tome! I used to be on that site. I used to be an editor there for some shows, I think I still have Funky Cops and Cubix actually. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest, I've gotta say I'm somewhat disappointed that that never happened with something I was into, like Mighty Ducks: TAS.

I used to edit the Teen Titans TV Tome episode guides before it turned into TV.com. In fact, as I have said before, that TV Tome Teen Titans forum is where my husband and I met back in 2004.

Blog Entries

Wow, it is a small world. I briefly edited Teen Titans myself. I remember there was a lot of drama over the editor of that.

Back on the old TV Tome, I did edit a lot of Saturday mornings cartoons, such as Cubix, Sonic X, What's New Scooby-Doo?, Mucha Lucha, The Cramp Twins, Winx Club, One Piece, F-Zero: GP Legend, Mew Mew Power, Shaman King, Ozzy and Drix, Kirby: Right Back at Ya! and I'm dying from nostalgia now. My names were Donkey Kong Song, MA++ (made of alt codes), and 4KidsTVMasterMatty (I remember modeling it after JetixMasterDan).

Thread Information