Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: TIL: Today I Learned

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    Looks interesting. I hope it comes to Masterpiece on PBS here in the US, but I'm not sure if they've imported anything from Sky 1 before.
    I'm pretty sure a few of Sky 1's more recent original programs have made their way to the US already. "Stan Lee's Lucky Man", "You, Me & The Apocalypse", "An Idiot Abroad" and "The Moaning of Life" all spring to mind.
    How to remaster

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I was specifically referring to Masterpiece on PBS, which is what aired Downton Abbey here. They seem partnered with the BBC and I'm not sure if they've aired anything from Sky 1. Of course I'm sure someone will pick it up even if Masterpiece doesn't.

Though An Idiot Abroad and The Moaning of Life are reality shows that aired on Science Channel here and You, Me and The Apocalypse is a comedy that NBC aired. This is a period drama, and I'm not sure if any period dramas from Sky 1 have aired here. Of course, History Channel has been big on airing period dramas lately, with their original miniseries that usually air around Memorial Day such as Hatfields and McCoys, the Roots reboot, Texas Rising, Bonnie and Clyde, Barbarians Rising, and so on, along with their only narrative non-miniseries I know of, Vikings. If any of the "educational" networks air it, it'll likely be History, because I can't see Nat Geo or Discovery/Science airing something like that unless it's relevant to science (like Genius).

Blog Entries

Oh, well I didn't do something I learned.

TIL that June 23 is National Kissing Day.

I could probably fill this whole thread with National Days, or what I learned National Days was. (I think my birthday is National Taco Day.)

Blog Entries

TIL who Theresa May reminds me of.

The closest I could get before was a vulture. It's Mr Burns.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

TIL that this August will mark the 100th birthday of artist Jack Kirby if he was still alive.

Yesterday I learned that my bush mane of hair is wonderful for catching tickets in the Chuck E Cheese Ticket Blaster

Also there's video: https://www.facebook.com/kupomog/pos...54961259072655
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Oh hey TIL a buncha shirtless twinks at a Naval academy are trying to climb a huge lubed up phallic monument to place a little hat on top while also getting sprayed with a buncha liquid and I get to watch it Live. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

After like 30 minutes I saw a few women too so bonus.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

TIL William Shatner's a 4chan user

Blog Entries

TIL a lot of white Americans genuinely think POC don’t have to pay for college.

What in heck.

Blog Entries

Today I learned Zero Suit Samus debuted in Metroid: Zero Mission for GBA, and the "Zero Suit" was called the "Body Suit" in that game. The same "Zero Suit" became canon in Super Smash Brothers Brawl because fans just preferred that name and it was used more often.

Yep. Zero Mission is a great game especially for a remake of the first Metroid.

Worker of the Month outofnowhere's Avatar

Today I learned that you can't fix a Kohler toilet unless you're a plumber. And according to this article, some toilet bowls weigh over 100 pounds... Combine it with water tank which means additional ~40 pounds
    Last edited by outofnowhere; 08-16-2019 at 04:53 AM.

TIL Emperor Hirohito's (of Japan WW2-era) first name was Michinomiya.

Blog Entries

I noticed both of these emojis were hosted on Photobucket and are now basically unviewable, bc they started blurring them out. I didn't mind the watermarks they started putting on old images a year ago, since it was better than that generic "YOU HAVE EXCEEDED YOUR LIMIT" image they had two years ago. I actually found out about the blurring yesterday, but I didn't know these emojis were part of that.
    Insert signature here

Dayum, RIP facemelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    That I have the potential to be a good Doo-to-Door salesman if my progress during training is anything to go by.
    I wish we knew how this turned out. As a former door-to-door sales person myself, I would be interesting in hearing what other people with experience on the job have to say.
    I learned that it could surprisingly be a rewarding experience some of the time.

Blog Entries

TIL you can actually write a letter to the Unabomber and he'll write back
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Quote Originally Posted by closeface View Post
    that the indian revolutionary subhas chandra bose is the only person in history who was pictured with both adolf hitler and mahatma gandhi:
    I feel like that should earn this guy some more international recognition. This is something that can never be replicated.

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

TIL Richard Chamberlain (that Richard Chamberlain) was the original singer of Close to You before the Carpenters
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    TIL that a bug that disappears when you try to study it is called a heisenbug
    I wonder if this has any relation to the effect on humans who know they are being watched.

I don't think it's related too much to the Hawthorne effect but I see where you're coming from.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Thanks for stating the exact name of the effect, I completely blanked on it. Thought of Bernoulli's Principle for some reason, but knew that wasn't it.
    Cheers, mate.

Thread Information