Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: TIL: Today I Learned

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

TIL: Today I Learned

...that side-blotched lizards have five distinct "genders"/morphs: three male and two female.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-blotched_lizard

Yours?
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

That I have the potential to be a good Doo-to-Door salesman if my progress during training is anything to go by.

Though I'll probably end up doing this:

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Blog Entries

that the indian revolutionary subhas chandra bose is the only person in history who was pictured with both adolf hitler and mahatma gandhi:

i found that really interesting, actually. kinda like how yasser arafat has been pictured with both mother theresa and saddam hussein

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

TIL that a bug that disappears when you try to study it is called a heisenbug

This was kinda interesting to me as I'm sure everyone has had those computer or daily life problems you could not replicate, which made you question your own sanity. Also, I like the name of 'Heisenbug' since while it is a reference to Werner Heisenberg, I can't help but think of Breaking Bad's Heisenberg, whose own problems were never traced to him (except for what made the show spiral into its ending).

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

TIL .. That funny house wife star of "I Love Lucy" is the Main reason "Star Trek" lives to this day?

Ball was sole owner of a major TV studio, making her a true Hollywood power player The major networks all rejected the Star Trek idea, She used her clout to change their minds, even her own production company voted unanimously against it.. Lucile Ball used her power as Chairmen to override everyone's vote.. She forced NBC to do something it never did before.. Order a second pilot of Star Trek because they didnt like the first one.. Unheard of? .. Star Trek had soo much going against it, it seems miraculous that it saw the light of day.. If you love Star Trek, you should also Love Lucy!

Blog Entries

TIL that plantains aren't mini-bananas, they're actually larger.

When I was about 10 I saw the Family Guy episode "And the wiener is..." where Peter discovers that Chris has a bigger dick than him. There's a scene where there in the supermarket and Chris, unaware of Peter's bitterness towards him over dick size, points out some funny looking little bananas, prompting Peter to snap at him and Lois to step in to explain to Chris that they're called plantains. Ever since then I just always assumed that's what they were because I don't think I've ever actually heard someone mention them until I was talking to @Torrens in the early hours of the morning and she brought them up.

I've never actually seen them on sale anywhere but it's possible that I just never took notice of them because in my mind I always just thought they were these mini version of bananas rather than a larger version of them.
    How to remaster

Some South African class mates introduced me to Plantains while at the University dorms
    Look like Bananas,.. but taste like odd Potatoes!

Blog Entries

@Gatorgod: If they taste like potatoes, you're eating them when they aren't ripe. You need to have the skin of the plantain blacken (or be deep yellow with heavy black spots). That's when you know it's ripe.

Ripe plantains are pretty sweet, but unripe ones do taste like potatoes.

@Shaunbadia: there are actually little mini-bananas in a lot of stores now. I haven't tried them but assume they're pretty much just bananas that are bred to be small.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Green plantains and green bananas are actually used in that favorite food I posted about yesterday, coincidentally. They're starchier than bananas in general but still pretty good for most cooking.

Those mini Chiquita bananas they have now taste the same as regular bananas, just bred small yeah. Apple bananas have been around for a good while, too and are just about as small but taste a little bit different. Same with lady finger bananas.

So much banana out there.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

That my sister and Google share a birthday.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

That 'Nazo' (the mysterious glowing white hedgehog from the Sonic X pilot that was never seen in the show itself) was actually just an alternate design for Super Sonic that was left unused when they decided to go back to the original yellow design for the show.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That Aldi is not a local business.

Blog Entries

the company is based out of germany...

Blog Entries

dyk trader joe's is owned by the company

Blog Entries

TIL that after Norway banned Life of Brian for blasphemy, it was marketed in Sweden as "The film that is so funny that it was banned in Norway!" (en.wikipedia.org)
    submitted 10 hours ago by jopperr44
    1855 commentssharesavehidereport

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

Thanks to Facebook, I now know that the anniversary of my mother's death is also David Schwimmer's birthday.

Blog Entries

Awww.

I was gonna say, TIL that there are actually people who think Hamlet is autobiographical. Never mind that Shakespeare did not invent even most of the story, and  Hamlet dies at the end.   They believe the writer was a son of Elizabeth I. I just can't.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Shaun

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Didn't even know your mother was gone.

Blog Entries

Much appreciated guys. Also Rem, it was long before you even joined and it's not like it's something I talk about a whole lot since y'know, it'd just be needlessly depressing.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry Shaun

TIL that there was an urban legend in England during the 80s and 90s of a massive predator known as Purple Aki. Kids would scare each other talking about how he'd stalk and chase down young teenage boys to do unspeakable things to them. Eventually he actually for real got arrested and charged with all this and turned into a big media circus (focusing partially on the fact that everyone thought he was made up), obviously proving that he really exists - a six-foot-five, 300+ pound bodybuilder with a muscle fetish named Akinwale Arobieke, who is repeatedly arrested and charged with obsessively stalking young teenage boys all for the purpose of squeezing their quads or biceps and forcing them to do squats. You can't make this shit up. It's sexually-motivated but since there's never anything that they technically consider sexual contact, sentencing has been a confusing shitshow time and time again, and he keeps getting picked up for (at least allegedly) doing the same thing over and over again. And he's also got a whole lot of witness intimidation stuff going against him too. Which may explain why he spent so many years as an unsubstantiated urban legend.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Oh... sorry Shaun...

Today I learned that Cinemark theaters show a number of remastered classics. (I went there on Tuesday to see Pokemon: The First Movie.) I am definitely thinking of going back next one I see.

It's my mom's birthday so I'll have to miss the Rush concert movie.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that, Shaunbadia.

Today I learned that there going to be a Crash Bandicoot cartoon in the 90's to tie-in with the games and it was almost made, but it was cancelled when Sony decided to make the game focus on the 3D genre (the cartoon was going to have 2D animation), and all that's left is some test footage for the show's intro on Youtube.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 11-03-2016 at 03:54 PM.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes, Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Shuanbadia.

Blog Entries

Oops! I wasn't paying attention to my typing and got your user name wrong. I'm so, so sorry about this.

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Much appreciated

Blog Entries

Today I learned that astronomers think it's possible to colonize Mars in 2033.

Today I learned that in German, adjectives only decline when used attributively, but used predicatively they remain undeclined--the form is identical to the adverb.

For a person with a linguistics degree, this was interesting and exciting
    Get woke, go broke

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CranberrySauceCommittee View Post
    Today I learned that astronomers think it's possible to colonize Mars in 2033.
    I can see a new show for Adam Reed once Archer ends

Marslab 2033 2034

TIL if you search interesting facts on Google, Google has a list of facts. I knew most of them (first person to go to space, what percentage of Earth's water is frozen, etc.) but some were pretty interesting.

Thread Information